Jury finds Trump liable for sexual abuse of E. Jean Carroll

Hill reactions: Several Republicans are unfazed by Trump's sex abuse verdict

Kelly Garrity and Nancy Vu
4–5 minutes

A New York jury found former President Donald Trump liable for sexually abusing E. Jean Carroll in 1996, awarding the advice columnist close to $5 million in damages on Tuesday.

The verdict, which was announced in a federal courtroom in New York City on the first day of jury deliberations, sparked quick reactions from the former president — who continued to deny the allegations — and from multiple members of Congress, including Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.).

“You never like to hear that a former president has been found in a civil court guilty of those types of actions,” the South Dakota senator told reporters Tuesday. When asked if he could support somebody who’s been found liable for sexual battery, he said: “I would have a difficult time doing so.”

The verdict "creates concern," Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) said, but whether or not it disqualifies the former president from his current presidential bid will be up to the voters.

But not all Republicans had the same hesitation. Sen. Bill Hagerty (R-Tenn.), who served as ambassador to Japan under Trump, said the verdict was the latest act in the "legal circus" surrounding Trump.

"I think we've seen President Trump under attack since before he became president," Hagerty said during an interview on Fox News. "This has been going on for years. He's been amazing in his ability to weather these sorts of attacks and the American public has been amazing in their support through it."

“This won’t be the last,” Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), who has endorsed Trump this election cycle, said of the case. “I mean, people are gonna come at him from all angles... People are gonna try and convict him on the papers in Mar-a-Lago. [They] Can’t have him win.”

The case and the jury were both "a joke," Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy dodged a question about the verdict during a stakeout with reporters following his meeting with President Joe Biden over the debt limit. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Trump's foe in the chamber, declined to comment, as did Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), an ardent supporter of Trump.

The ruling comes weeks after the former president was charged with 34 felonies related to the alleged role he played in a scheme to bury accusations of extramarital affairs ahead of the 2016 presidential election. Despite his legal battles, the former president remains the frontrunner for the GOP presidential nomination.

On Tuesday, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) said the former president was “unfit to hold office.”

“The *front runner* for the Republican nomination for President of the United States has just been found liable for sexual abuse,” Moulton said in a tweet. “The more these lawsuits pile up, the more of an aggrieved version of Trump we'll get. He is unfit to hold office.”

Moulton wasn’t alone in noting Trump’s mounting legal battles.

“Donald Trump — the leader of the Republican Party — has now been impeached twice, indicted, and found liable of sexual abuse and defamation,” Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) tweeted. “You’ve hitched your wagon to a real stand-up guy, @HouseGOP.”

First-term Rep. Summer Lee (D-Pa.) also turned the verdict on Republicans, criticizing support for Trump.

“The Republican party will STILL eagerly stand by him to prop him up while they offer their unwavering support. Their subservience is a slap in the face to survivors and all women,” Lee said on Twitter.

The former president has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than two dozen women, and in the now infamous “Access Hollywood” tape, he was caught saying that when it comes to women, if you’re a star you can “grab them by the *****.” Tuesday's verdict was the first time he has faced legal repercussions for sexual assault.

Trump defended himself on social media Tuesday afternoon, calling the verdict “a disgrace" and “a continuation of the greatest witch hunt of all time!”

In a statement, Trump's campaign called the case "bogus" and said Trump was being targeted because of his position as a frontrunner in the presidential race.

Daniella Diaz and contributed to this report.

• Like 1

Crickets…

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Crickets…

I think both sides are pretty much resigned to the fact that, unless he's convicted in criminal court, he's going to be the Republican nominee. Not sure there's much to be said on the Serious Discussion side. There's another thread running in Smack Talk, though.

21 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I think both sides are pretty much resigned to the fact that, unless he's convicted in criminal court, he's going to be the Republican nominee. Not sure there's much to be said on the Serious Discussion side. There's another thread running in Smack Talk, though.

I hadn’t gone there yet. Thanks. P

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Hill reactions: Several Republicans are unfazed by Trump's sex abuse verdict

Kelly Garrity and Nancy Vu
4–5 minutes

A New York jury found former President Donald Trump liable for sexually abusing E. Jean Carroll in 1996, awarding the advice columnist close to $5 million in damages on Tuesday.

The verdict, which was announced in a federal courtroom in New York City on the first day of jury deliberations, sparked quick reactions from the former president — who continued to deny the allegations — and from multiple members of Congress, including Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.).

“You never like to hear that a former president has been found in a civil court guilty of those types of actions,” the South Dakota senator told reporters Tuesday. When asked if he could support somebody who’s been found liable for sexual battery, he said: “I would have a difficult time doing so.”

The verdict "creates concern," Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) said, but whether or not it disqualifies the former president from his current presidential bid will be up to the voters.

But not all Republicans had the same hesitation. Sen. Bill Hagerty (R-Tenn.), who served as ambassador to Japan under Trump, said the verdict was the latest act in the "legal circus" surrounding Trump.

"I think we've seen President Trump under attack since before he became president," Hagerty said during an interview on Fox News. "This has been going on for years. He's been amazing in his ability to weather these sorts of attacks and the American public has been amazing in their support through it."

“This won’t be the last,” Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), who has endorsed Trump this election cycle, said of the case. “I mean, people are gonna come at him from all angles... People are gonna try and convict him on the papers in Mar-a-Lago. [They] Can’t have him win.”

The case and the jury were both "a joke," Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy dodged a question about the verdict during a stakeout with reporters following his meeting with President Joe Biden over the debt limit. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Trump's foe in the chamber, declined to comment, as did Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), an ardent supporter of Trump.

The ruling comes weeks after the former president was charged with 34 felonies related to the alleged role he played in a scheme to bury accusations of extramarital affairs ahead of the 2016 presidential election. Despite his legal battles, the former president remains the frontrunner for the GOP presidential nomination.

On Tuesday, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) said the former president was “unfit to hold office.”

“The *front runner* for the Republican nomination for President of the United States has just been found liable for sexual abuse,” Moulton said in a tweet. “The more these lawsuits pile up, the more of an aggrieved version of Trump we'll get. He is unfit to hold office.”

Moulton wasn’t alone in noting Trump’s mounting legal battles.

“Donald Trump — the leader of the Republican Party — has now been impeached twice, indicted, and found liable of sexual abuse and defamation,” Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) tweeted. “You’ve hitched your wagon to a real stand-up guy, @HouseGOP.”

First-term Rep. Summer Lee (D-Pa.) also turned the verdict on Republicans, criticizing support for Trump.

“The Republican party will STILL eagerly stand by him to prop him up while they offer their unwavering support. Their subservience is a slap in the face to survivors and all women,” Lee said on Twitter.

The former president has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than two dozen women, and in the now infamous “Access Hollywood” tape, he was caught saying that when it comes to women, if you’re a star you can “grab them by the *****.” Tuesday's verdict was the first time he has faced legal repercussions for sexual assault.

Trump defended himself on social media Tuesday afternoon, calling the verdict “a disgrace" and “a continuation of the greatest witch hunt of all time!”

In a statement, Trump's campaign called the case "bogus" and said Trump was being targeted because of his position as a frontrunner in the presidential race.

Daniella Diaz and contributed to this report.

Tuberville is a POS.  A real slimeball.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Hah. That won't stop him for running or prevent MAGAs - like Alabama's own Tommy Tuberville - from supporting him.

Just the opposite in fact.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Leftfield said:

I would say that at least 80% of the people I know who voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020 tell me some version of "I didn't support him in the primary, but once it was him against Hillary or Biden in the general election, I had no choice but to vote for him/he was the lesser of two evils/it was a vote against the Dems not a vote FOR Trump."

If that's true, why is he leading all the polls for the GOP nomination for 2024?  Will you actually act in ways that make that previous statement about the reasons for supporting him true by nominating someone other than Trump this time?  Because the only explanation for that many people saying they wouldn't or didn't support him in the primary but him still winning is that a lot of folks are lying.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Hah. That won't stop him for running or prevent MEGAs - like Alabama's own Tommy Tuberville-from supporting him.

Just the opposite.

True, though I was thinking more in terms of him actually being in jail. As long as court battles take, though, that's probably too far off.

• Like 1

Biden is a corrupted sellout and Trump is a crook. They deserve each other. 

15 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Actual Evidence of Joe Biden’s corruption?

34 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Actual Evidence of Joe Biden’s corruption?

TBD.  Be patient.

You guys have got to be intentionally avoiding the things coming out on Biden to think this isn’t going to end very badly for him.  Dozens of banking red flag reports about mystery payments to various members of his family, anonymous donors buying Hunters “art”, the proof that Hunters business partners met with Biden in the White House, despite Biden claiming he never spoke with Hunter about business - do any of these ruing a bell?  Do you really dispute any of them?  I’ve always said “innocent until proven guilty” but if I was cutting odds on this one Biden is a big time underdog.  

Regarding the original topic - legitimate question here, does anyone have a link to a story with the real evidence presented in the trial?  In a couple of casual articles I’ve read, I haven’t really seen much, but would like to read the “other side of the story”.   I will admit that in cases like this and Cavanaugh’s case how you could make an accusation 20+ years after the fact seems shady.  I have all the empathy for women in sexual assault cases, and I could see taking a few days or even weeks to decide how to move forward, but decades seems really unusual.  

11 hours ago, GoAU said:

You guys have got to be intentionally avoiding the things coming out on Biden to think this isn’t going to end very badly for him.

Would you please present your most damning evidence?

On 5/10/2023 at 6:07 PM, autigeremt said:

I can assure you that any the "Biden Crime Family" has done, the Trumps have done 100 times and on a larger scale. Jesus Christ dude. You act like the Trump's didn't openly do business with other countries during his presidency. Also, did you forget about the Trump University scam?

"Trump unanimously found liable of sexual assault = Joe Biden's son possibly doing shady business deal".

Conservative values at their finest.

• Dislike 1

If you got the goods on trump or Biden PLEASE GOD!  put both of them away and let us get back to real elections and real politics. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 10:28 PM, JMWATS said:

Of course they found him guilty the trial was in New York. 

Yeah, he should obviously confine all his future sexual assaults to within jurisdictions like Alabama. :-\

Edited by homersapien

So, I assume no one else saw the evidence of this 30 year old sexual assault either?   I’m kind of curious as to how the decision was arrived at.