Biblical Marriage

AURex

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

This isn't showing any kind of inconsistency. You're simply saying that 'you' personally can't understand why an atheist would choose to sacrifice for future generations or would choose to do anything in life that doesn't immediately benefit them personally. 

Well, thank you for the input. 

32 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Quiet! The adults are talking.

That's surprising to me coming from you. :dunno: 

Regardless of our political differences, I assumed you to be a lot more reasonable and self-confident than that. 

I'll have to readjust my expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So the underlying motivation is simply empathy, i.e., I feel better that the future might be better? Is that the sole motivation? What else? 

Selflessness, a desire for your family and the rest of the human race to continue, a sense of belonging to a greater purpose than just your own existence. Those notwithstanding, however, is empathy not enough? What reasons have you to be religious? Do they include some of those listed above, or does it boil down to self-interest, i.e. fear of being punished, the ultimate expression of which is being denied heaven?

I suppose the fear might be that if someone has only one reason for doing something, then loses that reason, they may become the type of person you described. Is that your concern here?

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Selflessness, a desire for your family and the rest of the human race to continue, a sense of belonging to a greater purpose than just your own existence. Those notwithstanding, however, is empathy not enough? What reasons have you to be religious? Do they include some of those listed above, or does it boil down to self-interest, i.e. fear of being punished, the ultimate expression of which is being denied heaven?

I suppose the fear might be that if someone has only one reason for doing something, then loses that reason, they may become the type of person you described. Is that your concern here?

You’re kind of establishing my point. Costly sacrifice for the atheist, that reaps no benefit until after death, is a thousand percent illogical. Why give a rip about your great-grandchildren’s children? Spend the inheritance now; why pass it on? Unless…

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's surprising to me coming from you. :dunno: 

Regardless of our political differences, I assumed you to be a lot more reasonable and self-confident than that. 

I'll have to readjust my expectations.

Sit down and shut up! Do I need to put you in timeout?

• Haha 2

You’re kind of establishing my point.

How so?

Costly sacrifice for the atheist, that reaps no benefit until after death, is a thousand percent illogical.

The fact you keep saying there is logic in living a selfish life if you don't believe in God seems like projection. It sounds like that's who you would be if you didn't have Him in your life, and you just assume that's how others are. 

I don't think anyone would argue that one of the positive effects of religion has been to temper the negative instincts of those who have difficulty controlling them, but there are plenty of good people out there who don't have it in their lives. 

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Why give a rip about your great-grandchildren’s children? Spend the inheritance now; why pass it on? 

Are you asking for more reasons than those I just gave you?

Is it not enough for me to say I feel it's the right thing to do? Do I have to say I follow God's teachings because I want to get into Heaven in order for my answer to be acceptable?

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Unless…

?

1 minute ago, Leftfield said:

How so?

The fact you keep saying there is logic in living a selfish life if you don't believe in God seems like projection. It sounds like that's who you would be if you didn't have Him in your life, and you just assume that's how others are. 

I don't think anyone would argue that one of the positive effects of religion has been to temper the negative instincts of those who have difficulty controlling them, but there are plenty of good people out there who don't have it in their lives. 

Are you asking for more reasons than those I just gave you?

Is it not enough for me to say I feel it's the right thing to do? Do I have to say I follow God's teachings because I want to get into Heaven in order for my answer to be acceptable?

?

No.

12 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No.

9 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Another interesting statement. But perhaps I shouldn’t open the rabbit trail.

Are you being cryptic for a reason, or do you just enjoy being an ass?

Were you not just chastising someone for not being "adult" enough? 

8 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Are you being cryptic for a reason, or do you just enjoy being an ass?

Were you not just chastising someone for not being "adult" enough? 

Yes.

On 6/1/2023 at 9:07 AM, aubiefifty said:

well which do you believe there scooter? i am very curious..............

All of them buster. How about you?

On 6/1/2023 at 7:30 AM, homersapien said:

If a story defies the laws of nature, it's myth.  (That should be obvious.)

You don’t believe God can control the weather, part the sea, heal the sick, make the blind to see and make the lame to walk?

41 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

All of them buster. How about you?

very few.............

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

very few.............

Which ones?

7 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Which ones?

birth. i consider birth a miracle. but now you have gotten into shady territory hoss. with all the horrible crap humans do to one another why does god allow all these things to happen if he is a loving god? people are raping babies still in diapers. where is god? wonderful people get murdered and killed in all kinds of horrible ways so where is god when all this happens? where are the miracles now? and all you folks have is it is the will of god. he works in mysterious ways. we do not know know why god does what he does. how close to a million people did we lose in the illegal iraq war killing innocents as well as soldiers and destroying homes and yet god let this happen? you got any real proff besides a bible that man wrote claiming to be the word of god? you guys do not seem to be honest with yourself or anyone else. god has been turning his back on people pretty much since the dawn or man. show me some proof.

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

with all the horrible crap humans do to one another why does god allow all these things to happen if he is a loving god?

God does not allow “horrible crap”  to happen.There is good in the world and there is evil. God made humans unique with the ability to make choices and he allows choices. He did not create a bunch of robots. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

God does not allow “horrible crap”  to happen.There is good in the world and there is evil. God made humans unique with the ability to make choices and he allows choices. He did not create a bunch of robots. 

i understand. he gave us a conscious as well to help. but miracles? i just do not see enough to believe it.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i understand. he gave us a conscious as well to help. but miracles? i just do not see enough to believe it.

Believe what you want. Your choice. I don’t see miracles either but I certainly not refuting what God is capable of.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PUB78 said:

You don’t believe God can control the weather, part the sea, heal the sick, make the blind to see and make the lame to walk?

Well, considering you can actually operate a computer and type their "thoughts" (:-\)  on a forum, I suppose anything is possible, logically speaking.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

A lot of innocent children - and adults for that matter - would beg to differ.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, considering you can actually operate a computer and type their "thoughts" (:-\)  on a forum, I suppose anything is possible, logically speaking.

Miracles happen everyday to me when it comes to technology!

• Haha 1

In order to see a miracle, you have to go to Peter Popoff Ministries and get your miracle spring water.

https://peterpopoff.org/miraclewater/

Perhaps we do not see miracles because,,, Christianity is too busy attempting control rather than, spreading the love of Jesus.  You cannot be disingenuous with Jesus.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

A lot of innocent children - and adults for that matter - would beg to differ.

I am agreeing. “Horrible crap”happens. 

If Democrats have their way.

IMG_6504.jpeg

• Facepalm 1