Biblical Marriage

AURex

17 hours ago, gr82be said:

(In response to the question are Muslims going to hell?)

Based on my belief yes. That's why it's my belief and not theirs. Look, only one belief can be right and I have made my choice. It's not my call whether they go to hell or not but as a Christian I believe they will or else I wouldn't be a Christian, would I?

Exactly!  

Thanks for making my point.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I am as in no one will enter the kingdom of Heaven except through Him (Jesus). Love and acceptance are two different things. He can love us and not accept our behavior. We can only serve one God so I can't willingly acknowledge that someone else may have another god and think that is good for them. I'm not hating on them. I'd rather pray for them even though they may not accept that line of thinking. 

You are missing the point.  We need to love as Jesus loves.

3 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Does this mean you are OK with someone being punished for eternity because they were never made aware of Jesus?

You want me to pass judgement on God? Seriously? I’m OK with whatever God says in the Bible and whatever Jesus said on earth and in the Bible.  That fact that you think humans might not be OK with something God does or says implies you have elevated yourself to the same level as God.  Seeing yourself or your civilization as equal to God is why you, homer and others can’t understand salvation by grace. We all o ow that bad people do bad things in this world. That is because evil corrupted the world when  Adam and Eve sinned. Could God wipe it all out?  Yes. Will He? Yes. Rapture, tribulation, Armageddon, and the thousand year reign of Christ. When? Only God knows. Could it be soon? Yes. Imminent? Maybe. Am I ready? Yes. Do I want to be left behind after the rapture? No. Will people who don’t believe in Jesus as the personal savior be left behind and have to suffer through tribulation? Yes. 

7 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

You want me to pass judgement on God? Seriously? I’m OK with whatever God says in the Bible and whatever Jesus said on earth and in the Bible.  That fact that you think humans might not be OK with something God does or says implies you have elevated yourself to the same level as God.  Seeing yourself or your civilization as equal to God is why you, homer and others can’t understand salvation by grace. We all o ow that bad people do bad things in this world. That is because evil corrupted the world when  Adam and Eve sinned. Could God wipe it all out?  Yes. Will He? Yes. Rapture, tribulation, Armageddon, and the thousand year reign of Christ. When? Only God knows. Could it be soon? Yes. Imminent? Maybe. Am I ready? Yes. Do I want to be left behind after the rapture? No. Will people who don’t believe in Jesus as the personal savior be left behind and have to suffer through tribulation? Yes. 

The world will be a much better place when everyone can agree that others aren't going to hell just because they have different beliefs. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

The world will be a much better place when everyone can agree that others aren't going to hell just because they have different beliefs. 

That’s not why people are going to hell. 

• Facepalm 2

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, can you explain why not?

For example, if a person of faith accepts evolution as true, then how should they consider the biblical account to creation? 

There are really only two options - essentially a lie or a metaphor.

I am OK with either, but at least the metaphor "model" allows for the basic message (of creation) to be essentially true.

(BTW, telling people they simply "need to think about it" is condescending and patronizing.  It implies you know better.  If you do, then let's hear it.)

Don’t mean to sound “condescending “ Brother Homer. Read Genesis 1 again. God could have made a day look any way he chose, including compressing years worth of evolution. 

Edited by SaltyTiger

58 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

That fact that you think humans might not be OK with something God does or says implies you have elevated yourself to the same level as God.

No it does not.  It implies that you know right from wrong and, would not support an angry, evil god.

Jesus would never doom people who were victims of circumstance.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Is it more important to proclaim Jesus or, to follow His commandment of love?

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

No it does not.  It implies that you know right from wrong and, would not support an angry, evil god.

Jesus would never doom people who were victims of circumstance.

Right.  So you think God is wrong and you are right.

12 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Seems pretty clear. According to the New Testament of the Bible, Jesus is the only way to salvation. That is understandable even for you. If a muslim rejects Jesus as the vessel of salvation, then they have chosen their camp. God made covenants with the Jewish nation and I am not versed enough to discern the details of their salvation in current times. That will be between the Jewish nation and God.  God has given humans the desire to seek a higher power. That is why Christian missionaries travel the world to bring the message of Jesus to all people especially those who may not be exposed to Jesus' message of grace and salvation in their remote cultures.

3 hours ago, Leftfield said:

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

That's a quick back track

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

you know you have taken the very same attitude about trump right? "I am ok with whatever". i have yet to ever see you condemn trump for ANYTHING. one would think you guys would at least be upset for him making a mockery of the bible.

7 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

I think the disconnect is that you're saying the Bible is as infallible as God. You appear to take the Bible to be His unaltered word, while others see it as a series of teachings to help guide them to a moral life. It is a book that should be cherished, but was vulnerable to the fallacies of the men who wrote it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you know you have taken the very same attitude about trump right? "I am ok with whatever". i have yet to ever see you condemn trump for ANYTHING. one would think you guys would at least be upset for him making a mockery of the bible.

Is this thread about Trump? I thought it was about God and biblical marriage. Are you saying you think Trump is God? God is Trump? Trump and God marry? Lower your dosage and get some sleep. Please.

Edited by jj3jordan
  • Haha 2

I'm still just over here waiting on someone to tell me why the bible condones both slavery and owning women as property and how they find peace with that being God's stance. Does anyone have the answer? Bueller?...

53 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Is this thread about Trump? I thought it was about God and biblical marriage. Are you saying you think Trump is God? God is Trump? Trump and God marry? Lower your dosage and get some sleep. Please.

it is now.............

10 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

No. 

I do not hear any evil, any cruelty, any indifference in the words of Jesus.  Ideas that are antithetical to love are the religion of man displacing God.

My faith is in Jesus.  I have no faith in religion.

50 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'm still just over here waiting on someone to tell me why the bible condones both slavery and owning women as property and how they find peace with that being God's stance. Does anyone have the answer? Bueller?...

Human beings corrupt God, use God, misrepresent God in order to further their own interests.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Don’t mean to sound “condescending “ Brother Homer. Read Genesis 1 again. God could have made a day look any way he chose, including compressing years worth of evolution.

Ergo, Genesis is a metaphor, not history.  Same for Adam and Eve.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Leftfield said:

And give up their exalted position at God's right hand???   Never!  :-\

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You know that the interpretation of the Bible has been ongoing.  Therefore, the abolishment of slavery can be traced to religious scholars.

Historians believe ideas set forth during the religious movement known as the Second Great Awakening inspired abolitionists to rise up against slavery. This Protestant revival encouraged the concept of adopting renewed morals, which centered around the idea that all men are created equal in the eyes of God

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/abolitionist-movement#

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Ergo, Genesis is a metaphor, not history.  Same for Adam and Eve.

You are free to state what you wish. You believe it all gunk regardless don’t you? 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

God would be the one to tell you what God’s stance is. He will enlighten you at a yet to be determined date. Yes, He does have the answer.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

You are free to state what you wish. You believe it all gunk regardless don’t you? 

Of course I am. (Thanks to our freedom of thought and speech, which is something to be protected and not taken for granted.)

I am just trying to explain the concept of seeing biblical accounts as metaphor as opposed to literal fact

It is a useful - if not necessary -  option to address the inevitable cognitive dissonance of a "bible believer" who contrasts scientific fact (like evolution) with biblical myths.

(You apparently appreciate this as you have employed it yourself several times in this thread.)

I personally see the bible as cultural/religious myth passed down for centuries in oral and written form, through different cultures, languages and interpretations. It's literature. And  I respect the power of myth, so I wouldn't call it "gunk".

But - as an agnostic/atheist - I certainly do not believe it is the literal word of God any more than I believe any other religion represents the literal word of God. 

Edited by homersapien

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

God would be the one to tell you what God’s stance is. He will enlighten you at a yet to be determined date. Yes, He does have the answer.

Meanwhile, the religious - let's use evangelical, right wing Christians as an example - feel completely justified in imposing their beliefs on others via politics and government.

They seem pretty confident in already knowing "Gods stance".

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Meanwhile, the religious - let's use evangelical, right wing Christians as an example - feel completely justified in imposing their beliefs on others via politics and government.

They seem pretty confident in already knowing "Gods stance".

They read it in the Bible. So yeah pretty sure.