Time To Make a Decision on Dean

In my opinion Dean has hit his ceiling

Looks to me like he is never going to recruit good enough hitters for us to get past regionals. I also think he makes poor on the field decisions at times.. To me he comes up short of being a Top Tier Coach at this level..

So question is do we want to settle for being where we are right now at the end of every season_ or do we try to find somebody to take us past this point??

Edited by ArgoEagle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For those who have knowledge of softball....my question is, what did Coach Myers do different from where our program is now??? It seems when he took over we weren't very competitive, but we had several players that turnout to be studs and in  a year we became one of the best programs in the nation....

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

In my opinion Dean has hit his ceiling

Looks to me like he is never going to recruit good enough hitters for us to get past regionals. I also think he makes poor on the field decisions at times.. To me he comes up short of being a Top Tier Coach at this level..

So question is do we want to settle for being where we are right now st the end of every season_ or do we try to find somebody to take us past this point??

It may be time to move on if we want to take the next step. Our roster puzzles me. They aren’t real big and strong, and they’re not very fast. Usually a coach builds a team around one or the other type. Hitters continuously roll over the ball and dribble weak ground balls in the infield. If he stays, he definitely needs a top tier hitting coach. 

• Like 2

Another issue I have with Dean is he doesn’t prioritize the transfer portal. We have seen time and time again that the way to imminent success in college softball is  through the portal. 

And if we keep Dean, then atleast get rid of Eugene Lenti. He is wayyy to old to be doing this anymore. We need someone who is more adaptive to the newer style of softball being played today.

I don’t think this staff has what it takes to break those barriers and get us to that next level of play, and it’s a shame because we have players like Bri Ellis, Nelia Peralta, Maddie Penta, and Denver Bryant that soooo deserve that. I PRAY that they don’t transfer, but I would not blame them. 

5 hours ago, tigerman1153 said:

For those who have knowledge of softball....my question is, what did Coach Myers do different from where our program is now??? It seems when he took over we weren't very competitive, but we had several players that turnout to be studs and in  a year we became one of the best programs in the nation....

Myers brought magic with him. There's no other way to explain it. Bench riders with career batting averages of .200 were suddenly all SEC players. When he left, the magic left with him. I've been following sports for a long time and the turnaround Myers accomplished was remarkable. That also means we are very unlikely to see such a thing again.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

I don’t think this staff has what it takes to break those barriers and get us to that next level of play, and it’s a shame because we have players like Bri Ellis, Nelia Peralta, Maddie Penta, and Denver Bryant that soooo deserve that. I PRAY that they don’t transfer, but I would not blame them. 

Damn man….we just finished a great season in the SEC and made a regional final game.   Now you wouldn’t blame players for transferring??? How about just add some solid hitting and hope for the best next year.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Damn man….we just finished a great season in the SEC and made a regional final game.   Now you wouldn’t blame players for transferring??? How about just add some solid hitting and hope for the best next year.   

“Just made a regional final game” okay?? Congrats we were one of the 32 best teams this season, big whoop. Let’s stop pushing the narrative that that is a good season, it’s average. ole miss, arkansas, south carolina, texas a&m, florida, and lsu all did the exact same thing as us this season: finished in a regional final. I suppose we all had “good seasons,” no. It’s 100% completely average. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Looks to me like he is never going to recruit good enough hitters

I'll have to go back and look, but for the past couple of years I thought that he was bringing in good hitters. When he signs the recruits, I remembered being impressed by their batting averages. I'm not sure if it's a case where they just aren't as successful in college or if they've changed their approach at the plate due to Dean/Lenti. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Fat Barner said:

“Just made a regional final game” okay?? Congrats we were one of the 32 best teams this season, big whoop. Let’s stop pushing the narrative that that is a good season, it’s average. ole miss, arkansas, south carolina, texas a&m, florida, and lsu all did the exact same thing as us this season: finished in a regional final. I suppose we all had “good seasons,” no. It’s 100% completely average. 

I believe there is 286 teams total.   Making a regional final is not average, far from it.   You sound like a barrel of fun.    

• Like 2

I do not think Dean will be fired before the end of his contract. The team finished third in the SEC and had their best season since 2017. I am sad the team was not able to make a Super Regional, but I am proud the team was able to force a Game 7. Hopefully the team can take time to get healthy over the summer as Packer, Bryant, and Lowe were still struggling with nagging injuries throughout the year. 

From a hitting perspective, I hope Dean evaluates the coach’s performance very critically. The team’s HR numbers and averages declined vs. last year, and we did not perform well against above average pitching outside a game or two. There are a number of young hitting coaches Dean could pursue who have proven themselves at other schools, including DJ Gasso at Utah and Bryce Neal at Louisville. 

From a pitching perspective, Penta obviously needs more support. She pitched her best around the 140 - 180 inning mark this year but struggled down the stretch with her stamina. If Dean can keep her innings below 150 before postseason, we’d be in a good spot. Lowe will likely benefit from another summer of rest. She showed her ability in the regional, and if she is able to return to her freshman year form, we’d be in a good position. Widra was good at times but struggled against good hitting teams. She has a great curveball and decent riseball, but her off speed is still developing. Hopefully Rolfe, Tresvik, Tamborra, and Clemmons can continue to develop and offer inning support.

From a fielding perspective, we improved greatly throughout the year. We finished first or second in fielding percentage in the SEC but struggled mightily in postseason. I’m honestly not sure what happened here.

We lose Garcia, McCondichie, Godwin, and likely a few players to the portal, but we have a solid group of bench players and incoming freshman. Rose Roach performed really well over the last month. Blaine showed her potential during her freshman year but struggled mightily with a sophomore slump. Abbey Smith, Millie Roberts, and Axe Milanowski also had some good moments this year. Hopefully Stroud, Martin, and Mariah Penta can push the returnees for starting positions.

Overall, I am excited for next year. Dean needs schedule a hard non-conference schedule to ensure we can host a regional, but I think the team can make a Super or the WCWS. If they do not, I have no problem not renewing Dean’s contract when it comes up for consideration. 

A few thoughts on the SEC and country next year:

1. Oklahoma will be the favorite to win it all again and rightfully so

2. Tennessee will likely be the preseason pick to win the SEC, but I do think Auburn will be picked in the top 5 despite a harder SEC schedule

3. A lot of SEC teams are graduating good pitchers next year: Fouts (Alabama), Delce (Arkansas), Rogers (Tennessee), Gobourne (USC), Hightower & Trilicek (Florida), Walters (UGA), Kilponen (LSU) 

4. Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn will have the best pitching staffs in the SEC, but Florida will be competitive with two stud freshman

4. Freshman will make an big impact for some teams, especially Florida (as mentioned above)

5. Texas A&M will take a huge jump forward in the second year of the Trisha Ford era

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jad0003 said:

I do not think Dean will be fired before the end of his contract. The team finished third in the SEC and had their best season since 2017. I am sad the team was not able to make a Super Regional, but I am proud the team was able to force a Game 7. Hopefully the team can take time to get healthy over the summer as Packer, Bryant, and Lowe were still struggling with nagging injuries throughout the year. 

From a hitting perspective, I hope Dean evaluates the coach’s performance very critically. The team’s HR numbers and averages declined vs. last year, and we did not perform well against above average pitching outside a game or two. There are a number of young hitting coaches Dean could pursue who have proven themselves at other schools, including DJ Gasso at Utah and Bryce Neal at Louisville. 

From a pitching perspective, Penta obviously needs more support. She pitched her best around the 140 - 180 inning mark this year but struggled down the stretch with her stamina. If Dean can keep her innings below 150 before postseason, we’d be in a good spot. Lowe will likely benefit from another summer of rest. She showed her ability in the regional, and if she is able to return to her freshman year form, we’d be in a good position. Widra was good at times but struggled against good hitting teams. She has a great curveball and decent riseball, but her off speed is still developing. Hopefully Rolfe, Tresvik, Tamborra, and Clemmons can continue to develop and offer inning support.

From a fielding perspective, we improved greatly throughout the year. We finished first or second in fielding percentage in the SEC but struggled mightily in postseason. I’m honestly not sure what happened here.

We lose Garcia, McCondichie, Godwin, and likely a few players to the portal, but we have a solid group of bench players and incoming freshman. Rose Roach performed really well over the last month. Blaine showed her potential during her freshman year but struggled mightily with a sophomore slump. Abbey Smith, Millie Roberts, and Axe Milanowski also had some good moments this year. Hopefully Stroud, Martin, and Mariah Penta can push the returnees for starting positions.

Overall, I am excited for next year. Dean needs schedule a hard non-conference schedule to ensure we can host a regional, but I think the team can make a Super or the WCWS. If they do not, I have no problem not renewing Dean’s contract when it comes up for consideration. 

A few thoughts on the SEC and country next year:

1. Oklahoma will be the favorite to win it all again and rightfully so

2. Tennessee will likely be the preseason pick to win the SEC, but I do think Auburn will be picked in the top 5 despite a harder SEC schedule

3. A lot of SEC teams are graduating good pitchers next year: Fouts (Alabama), Delce (Arkansas), Rogers (Tennessee), Gobourne (USC), Hightower & Trilicek (Florida), Walters (UGA), Kilponen (LSU) 

4. Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn will have the best pitching staffs in the SEC, but Florida will be competitive with two stud freshman

4. Freshman will make an big impact for some teams, especially Florida (as mentioned above)

5. Texas A&M will take a huge jump forward in the second year of the Trisha Ford era

Excellent analysis.  Glad you mentioned the scheduling. That may have been the difference this year from reginal final or Super Regional.  If we had gotten the 15 seed, could have even made it to WCWS with hosting both rounds (UCLA out).  Also how can you tell what you have without the good comp heading into SEC play?  We ended up getting 3rd so we held it solid this year.  I would rather be challenged early.

Edited by AUBwins

If Lowe was pitching early in SEC play as she did the last couple of weeks we would have won a few more Saturday games. We do need another lefty pitcher (freshman or portal). Hitting was terrible against opponents ace. Dean certainly could use a couple of solid lefty bats. And we do seem to have a couple of weak spots defensively, although I didn't watch enough games to say for sure. Despite these fixable issues our girls should be one of the top teams in SEC again, if we don't lose out to the portal. Not many 3rd place finishers fire their HC.

With Ellis, Garcia, and Blaine in the portal, plus another player possibly entering, I think it is even more crucial Dean make a change at hitting coach. I do not think we can sustain another year of Lenti.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I believe there is 286 teams total.   Making a regional final is not average, far from it.   You sound like a barrel of fun.    

Nearly every SEC team is guaranteed a spot in regionals (top 64), so yes it is average. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

With Ellis, Garcia, and Blaine in the portal,

Why are they leaving? Garcia and Ellis in particular have been successful here and got plenty of playing time. We don't have the NIL money to keep them?

15 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

With Ellis, Garcia, and Blaine in the portal, plus another player possibly entering, I think it is even more crucial Dean make a change at hitting coach. I do not think we can sustain another year of Lenti.

Have been frustrated with AU's hitting throughout Dean's tenure.  Agree we need to replace Lenti.  And pray that we don't lose anyone else (other than possibly Cox).

Edited by Golden Eagle

10 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Ellis leaving has got to stir up a conversation of a change in leadership. She was a milestone player and an absolute unit in the lineup. This blows. 

You have no way to know why any of these players are leaving.  Don't make stuff up to justify your opinion.   43-19 and 3rd in the SEC is a FAR CRY from average.  But you do you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

You have no way to know why any of these players are leaving.  Don't make stuff up to justify your opinion.   43-19 and 3rd in the SEC is a FAR CRY from average.  But you do you.

The buzz in Auburn is that the team doesn’t get along with Dean. It is not a coincidence that FOUR of our starters entered within days of our season ending. Mickey Dean scheduled the weakest non conference schedule in the SEC to pad his stats and make himself look better. Also, 9 of our 15 SEC wins came from the bottom 4 teams of the SEC, we just got a fortunate draw in league play. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I feel after reading all these posts & our best hitters hitting the portal; our Softball Program will soon be in the same shape our Women's Basketball Program is in if we don't get rid of MD.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1