2025 5* SF Cooper Flagg

cole256

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He started as a true freshman and played pretty well before injury. This year he averaged almost 34 minutes in D1 for a PAC 12 team. He shot 42.6% behind the arc. He had a 3.0 assist to turnover ratio. Against AZ he shot 60% behind the arc. Against UCLA he hit 5 of 10 behind the arc. Did well against good competition. After 3 years in D1 he’s a 42% 3pt shooter for his career. I think he’s above average. Certainly not below average. And certainly not someone who’s play indicates he should have played D2.

The fact that you are picking very particular game and stats really says it all. When he was here he had good stats against suck teams and he really struggled against good teams.

He went to Tennessee where Barnes puts 90% of the responsibility on his guards and he didn't hardly get to play his years there (mostly because of defense) he went there when they were replacing all of their guards and UT actually runs a 3 guard line up and he still didn't hardly play when they literally needed people. 

Even the people that hate me the most on here can't say that I don't know basketball. Plain as day I have like 3 seasons where I've called stuff to a T that went against the majority and upset them because I said stuff about the favorite players. With this particular player I also have a perspective because he went to a school that my cousin was a star at.....I probably know more about his game than or at least his experience at that school than most. I'm not just looking at stats.

But if we were just looking at stats over 3/4 years you are leaning on this last year. Pretty much the stats you pointed out says he's a decent shooter if he's a supporting player. Can't create his own shot but can play off some one who can.

But if you think his play is an above average player that's your opinion. I'm actually trying to be kind saying he's average. To me our guards the last couple of years have been average. Basketball consists of two sides offense and defense. 

But I'm trying to move on from that, my point is here we lost someone like Mitchell and the consensus was oh it's not a big deal and he's in the NBA, when Powell left it was like oh man we are losing this great great player and he couldn't start for another sec team.....IMO he was over hyped, I guess you don't share it. To me he's jj redick without the talent.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The fact that you are picking very particular game and stats really says it all. When he was here he had good stats against suck teams and he really struggled against good teams.

He went to Tennessee where Barnes puts 90% of the responsibility on his guards and he didn't hardly get to play his years there (mostly because of defense) he went there when they were replacing all of their guards and UT actually runs a 3 guard line up and he still didn't hardly play when they literally needed people. 

Even the people that hate me the most on here can't say that I don't know basketball. Plain as day I have like 3 seasons where I've called stuff to a T that went against the majority and upset them because I said stuff about the favorite players. With this particular player I also have a perspective because he went to a school that my cousin was a star at.....I probably know more about his game than or at least his experience at that school than most. I'm not just looking at stats.

But if we were just looking at stats over 3/4 years you are leaning on this last year. Pretty much the stats you pointed out says he's a decent shooter if he's a supporting player. Can't create his own shot but can play off some one who can.

But if you think his play is an above average player that's your opinion. I'm actually trying to be kind saying he's average. To me our guards the last couple of years have been average. Basketball consists of two sides offense and defense. 

But I'm trying to move on from that, my point is here we lost someone like Mitchell and the consensus was oh it's not a big deal and he's in the NBA, when Powell left it was like oh man we are losing this great great player and he couldn't start for another sec team.....IMO he was over hyped, I guess you don't share it. To me he's jj redick without the talent.

I hated losing Mitchell, but at the time we hard Harper, who really picked up his game, and the loss was less noted at the time. You focus on fan reaction. Fan reaction tends to be in the moment. For the 10 games Powell played his contribution was critical— Bruce clearly thought so. Bruce recruited him and started him as a freshman. Him leaving was the loss of a contributing starter.

Why didn’t fans react more to Mitchell leaving at the time? He never started a game at Auburn. He was a 28.8% 3pt shooter. Mediocre free throw shooter. Poor assist to turnover ratio. Did he develop into a very good player? You bet. As I, and apparently you, believed he would. I really regretted him leaving.

You “know basketball”. More than me. It doesn’t mean your every take is correct. It doesn’t mean you don’t get locked into narratives. Bruce “knows basketball.” Made recruiting Powell a priority. Started him. I suspect some of the recruiting analysts at ESPN know basketball. They listed him as the 85th recruit his senior year:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235197/justin-powell

You keep saying he struggled against good teams. I show stats that counter that— you ignore them.

The Washington State coach knows basketball. Started him 34 games this year. Rarely left the court. I’m not saying he’s a super star. Not saying he’s all conference or a future NBA player. I’m offering a fair and balanced take and initially responded factually to a post calling him below average. But for you to say he should have played D2 is absolutely ridiculous, especially for someone who “knows basketball.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I hated losing Mitchell, but at the time we hard Harper, who really picked up his game, and the loss was less noted at the time. You focus on fan reaction. Fan reaction tends to be in the moment. For the 10 games Powell played his contribution was critical— Bruce clearly thought so. Bruce recruited him and started him as a freshman. He was 

Why didn’t fans react more to Mitchell leaving? He never started a game at Auburn. He was a 28.8% 3pt shooter. Mediocre free throw shooter. Poor assist to turnover ratio. Did he develop into a very good player? You bet. As I, and apparently you, believed he would. 

You “know basketball”. More than me. It doesn’t mean your every take is correct. It doesn’t mean you don’t get locked into narratives. Bruce “knows basketball.” Made recruiting Powell a priority. Started him. I suspect some of the recruiting analysts at ESPN know basketball. They listed him as the 85th recruit his senior year:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235197/justin-powell

You keep saying he struggled against good teams. I show stats that counter that— you ignore them.

The Washington State coach knows basketball. Started him 34 games this year. Rarely left the court. I’m not saying he’s a super star. Not saying he’s all conference or a future NBA player. I’m offering a fair and balanced take. But for you to say he should have played D2 is absolutely ridiculous, especially for someone who “knows basketball.”

Once again you focus on his year at Washington State to try to make a case for his entire career. Your saying he played well one year against Arizona and UCLA doesn't counter that he struggled against higher competition the other 3 years. We call that skewing stats. 

And what narrative have I been locked into? From what I can tell people that even use the word narrative is just code for I don't agree with you so I'll just call for help. 

Washington State is a lower competition school, they don't have a bunch of talent so he gets to play. Leaving and going to a school where it's less competition will never prove he's good. I imagine if he had gone to troy his stats would be even better.

And yes if the argument is being over hyped on this forum you focus on what's said in this forum. You are just mushing 14 arguments into one and doing whatever you can to try to make him be good. If he was good he would've started on a good team. Had he played at Washington State then transferred here or Tennessee and then played well then there would be an argument. He did the opposite but if that's good to you cool.

Showing a 3 point percentage does nothing in proving a player is good. It proves he's good if he gets to shoot wide open. Unfortunately in basketball you rarely get to shoot wide open

It's funny how other guys like Bird golf ptb stat Tiger or whoever the new favorites are they don't get the your takes aren't right stuff. They get the well this guy said this and they are very credible...or my favorite do you think you know as much as *enter your favorite posters name here*

And as time goes on and it's proven I'm right it will be I don't remember this ever being an argument then I post and show it and then it's you bringing up old stuff. And the cycle will continue

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Once again you focus on his year at Washington State to try to make a case for his entire career. Your saying he played well one year against Arizona and UCLA doesn't counter that he struggled against higher competition the other 3 years. We call that skewing stats. 

And what narrative have I been locked into? From what I can tell people that even use the word narrative is just code for I don't agree with you so I'll just call for help. 

Washington State is a lower competition school, they don't have a bunch of talent so he gets to play. Leaving and going to a school where it's less competition will never prove he's good. I imagine if he had gone to troy his stats would be even better.

And yes if the argument is being over hyped on this forum you focus on what's said in this forum. You are just mushing 14 arguments into one and doing whatever you can to try to make him be good. If he was good he would've started on a good team. Had he played at Washington State then transferred here or Tennessee and then played well then there would be an argument. He did the opposite but if that's good to you cool.

Showing a 3 point percentage does nothing in proving a player is good. It proves he's good if he gets to shoot wide open. Unfortunately in basketball you rarely get to shoot wide open

Just curious— what other players started 34 games last year for a power 5 conference, averaged 34 minutes a game, shot 42.6%3PT and 81%FT that you would have advised to play D2? Because my point has been pretty simple.  I’ve never said he’s great. I’ve just said the two people I’ve responded to were unfair in their assessments.

It's funny how other guys like Bird golf ptb stat Tiger or whoever the new favorites are they don't get the your takes aren't right stuff. They get the well this guy said this and they are very credible...or my favorite do you think you know as much as *enter your favorite posters name here*

And as time goes on and it's proven I'm right it will be I don't remember this ever being an argument then I post and show it and then it's you bringing up old stuff. And the cycle will continue

This post is as representative of a pattern as any on this forum.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Just curious— what other players started 34 games last year for a power 5 conference, averaged 34 minutes a game, shot 42.6%3PT and 81%FT that you would have advised to play D2? Because my point has been pretty simple.  I’ve never said he’s great. I’ve just said the two people I’ve responded to were unfair in their assessments.

What's more indicative of a true evaluation of a guy that's played 4 years taking his stats his entire career or cherry picking a few games of the last year he's played? 

You keep going on about the D2 thing but essentially that's what he's done his entire career, he goes somewhere it doesn't goes the best and then he goes to a less talented, less competitive team and tries there. 

If he had just gone somewhere like lipscomb in the first place and put up incredible stats and gets all the playing time he wants he may then be able to get into the NBA or play overseas. 

This is a common thing in basketball where guys have the tools and look incredible when they are comfortable but when they get challenged they don't play the way it seems they should. You also have the opposite guys that don't just wow you but when you raise the competition their play raise as well. Clearly he's the former not the latter

As far as unfair assessments I guess you mean assessments you don't agree with. I've seen guys in both basketball and football get killed unfairly and I've seen guys get all the praise unjustly, why are you fighting for this guy? I don't recall you fighting the good fight for other people

Edited by cole256

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What's more indicative of a true evaluation of a guy that's played 4 years taking his stats his entire career or cherry picking a few games of the last year he's played? 

You keep going on about the D2 thing but essentially that's what he's done his entire career, he goes somewhere it doesn't goes the best and then he goes to a less talented, less competitive team and tries there. 

If he had just gone somewhere like lipscomb in the first place and put up incredible stats and gets all the playing time he wants he may then be able to get into the NBA or play overseas. 

This is a common thing in basketball where guys have the tools and look incredible when they are comfortable but when they get challenged they don't play the way it seems they should. You also have the opposite guys that don't just wow you but when you raise the competition their play raise as well. Clearly he's the former not the latter

The dude did well against Arizona, Baylor  & UCLA this year and Gonzaga & Memphis during his brief true FR year. Most players have bad games critics can point to, but to say he’s demonstrated he simply collapses in the face of strong competition isn’t true. 

I tried to refrain because I didn't want to aggravate myself but I went and looked at his Washington st stats......now I feel even stronger in my assessment. Why would you leave off how he just shoots 40% overall? Well we know why but that just proves my point how stats can be cherry picked.

Now look at his numbers against the power 5 schools and the suck teams...do you not see that huge jump in production?

Now out of all the Pac 12 teams there were like what 2 ranked? Around 4 that you would call quality maybe? So let's look at that. Then when he played in the big time games like in the conference tourney how well did he do in those games? That's how you get an honest assessment. And then even with that you don't just say look at this one year forget the other 3 YEARS. 

I tried to refrain because I didn't want to aggravate myself but I went and looked at his Washington st stats......now I feel even stronger in my assessment. Why would you leave off how he just shoots 40% overall? Well we know why but that just proves my point how stats can be cherry picked.

Now look at his numbers against the power 5 schools and the suck teams...do you not see that huge jump in production?

Now out of all the Pac 12 teams there were like what 2 ranked? Around 4 that you would call quality maybe? So let's look at that. Then when he played in the big time games like in the conference tourney how well did he do in those games? That's how you get an honest assessment. And then even with that you don't just say look at this one year forget the other 3 YEARS. 

Did well against Baylor, too.

But at PAC 12 tournament time he had one game- 15 points, 3/4 from behind the arc. Second highest scorer on his team.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The dude did well against Arizona & UCLA this year and Gonzaga & Memphis during his brief true FR year. Most players have bad games critics can point to, but to say he’s demonstrated he simply collapses in the face of strong competition isn’t true. 

He absolutely didn't do will against gonzaga, I watched that game the only player that wasn't scared in that game was flannigan. Memphis game he shot well and he played decent until they started pressing him. That's the game that actually gave out the scouting report on how to play him and he never was able to counter that.

And nobody said he just collapses, he just doesn't play as well but those are words used to try to skew to your argument. But just like you went to find and cherry pick those games you have the conference games that of course you won't mention because he played very bad in those. 

Which goes back to the original and correct assessment. And if you want to talk it out I could certainly help you with that but it's much more than looking at a stat. 

What he has problems with is driving to his weak hand. And he can't face a guy and dribble and pace himself or others. What he can do is play with his back to the opponent. This was fine in older style basketball but with us and most teams that like to run and push the tempo it's a no go. 

Also he can't create separation to get his own shot off, but he's a good set up shooter. This is why you see he can shoot 40 from the 3 which you kept posting but he also only can shoot 40 from the field which you kept leaving out. You see you have to read between the lines of stats to get an entire story. 

The higher quality of athlete is going to be more bothersome to a player like him, so if he wants to shine and judging by the way he keeps leaving he was searching for a place that had to rely on him a bit, it would have been best for him to go to a school that would center their offense around him, and that's most likely to happen at a d2 or maybe not even that but one of the lower rated schools. I don't know their acronyms.

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Did well against Baylor, too.

But at PAC 12 tournament time he had one game- 15 points, 3/4 from behind the arc. Second highest scorer on his team.

He shot 4/9 in both those games. I know you want to make him look good but let's move past just posting his 3 point stuff and that's it.

I guess that's subjective to you that's playing well to me it's not. 

Not for a number 2 guy that never comes off the court. He doesn't get assists. Against the suck teams he do but good teams he gets nervous or whatever and turn the ball over. Once again maybe play a year of d2 where you are the man and maybe that would fix everything. It's in there, the only reason to think he can't do it regularly is it's mental

Is this guy even interested in coming to our school? From all accounts, he is legit.  I imagine it would be hard to pry him from the G-league or even UCONN, who seems to really be pushing for him. If I remember correctly, he is from the northeast. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DAG said:

Is this guy even interested in coming to our school? From all accounts, he is legit.  I imagine it would be hard to pry him from the G-league or even UCONN, who seems to really be pushing for him. If I remember correctly, he is from the northeast. 

He is definitely northeast and he may not have any interest at all. I saw his film and I just knew we need to be trying. Jalen green just did an interview and talked about how he was going to come here had he not did the g league. I know scoot would have come so I'm just saying we need those same super powers and get this guy.

This thread is hilarious because I'm literally saying I want this guy so bad I'm already wanting to start a buzz about him.....I started the thread...but it has to be something else of course. 

I'm just going to start pming you and tell you about who I see and maybe you can post it for me. 

If this guy get a better handle we're talking about an unstoppable force though. All he would need next to him is a point that actually passes the ball and somebody that can shoot. That's it. This guy will do the rest of the work

• Haha 1

Just now, cole256 said:

He is definitely northeast and he may not have any interest at all. I saw his film and I just knew we need to be trying. Jalen green just did an interview and talked about how he was going to come here had he not did the g league. I know scoot would have come so I'm just saying we need those same super powers and get this guy.

This thread is hilarious because I'm literally saying I want this guy so bad I'm already wanting to start a buzz about him.....I started the thread...but it has to be something else of course. 

I'm just going to start pming you and tell you about who I see and maybe you can post it for me. 

If this guy get a better handle we're talking about an unstoppable force though. All he would need next to him is a point that actually passes the ball and somebody that can shoot. That's it. This guy will do the rest of the work

I saw he had a monster triple-double at his last AAU event.  Still young, too, so he has a chance to grow even more from that 6'8 frame. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

The Mitchel loss just about broke me. Can’t believe we let him get away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I saw he had a monster triple-double at his last AAU event.  Still young, too, so he has a chance to grow even more from that 6'8 frame. 

He went head up against Carlos boozer's twins. One of them is the number 1 rated guy overall. He didn't even blink. I think I like that part of his game more than anything, he's tough. He carries it well too. He's not up in anybody face but at the same time he's carrying that energy as if he's saying don't try to play with me, I'm not the one. 

I just know his teammates aren't as good as him but he's taking these teams and playing the toughest competition

• Like 1

Speaking of Larry Bird

It was 91/92 season, and we were playing the Boston Celtics; it was Bird, McHale, Parrish — the great three. And we were up by one. He said, 'who's guarding me?' After we come from the time-out. Now remember I'm a rookie, I said, 'Craig Ehlo.' He said, 'why you got that white boy on me? Don't put that white boy on me.'

Let's not be naive about race in sports. 

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

The Mitchel loss just about broke me. Can’t believe we let him get away.

When samir fouled that guy at the end of the game against Virginia.....that's when it broke me as I damn near broke the remote to my tv as I watched him do it 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He absolutely didn't do will against gonzaga, I watched that game the only player that wasn't scared in that game was flannigan. Memphis game he shot well and he played decent until they started pressing him. That's the game that actually gave out the scouting report on how to play him and he never was able to counter that.

And nobody said he just collapses, he just doesn't play as well but those are words used to try to skew to your argument. But just like you went to find and cherry pick those games you have the conference games that of course you won't mention because he played very bad in those. 

Which goes back to the original and correct assessment. And if you want to talk it out I could certainly help you with that but it's much more than looking at a stat. 

What he has problems with is driving to his weak hand. And he can't face a guy and dribble and pace himself or others. What he can do is play with his back to the opponent. This was fine in older style basketball but with us and most teams that like to run and push the tempo it's a no go. 

Also he can't create separation to get his own shot off, but he's a good set up shooter. This is why you see he can shoot 40 from the 3 which you kept posting but he also only can shoot 40 from the field which you kept leaving out. You see you have to read between the lines of stats to get an entire story. 

The higher quality of athlete is going to be more bothersome to a player like him, so if he wants to shine and judging by the way he keeps leaving he was searching for a place that had to rely on him a bit, it would have been best for him to go to a school that would center their offense around him, and that's most likely to happen at a d2 or maybe not even that but one of the lower rated schools. I don't know their acronyms.

Gonzaga was the 2nd game of his college career as a true freshman. He came off the bench and led the team in assists & rebounds (granted, it didn’t take much) and scored more than 3 starters. Did he light it up? Of course not. Flan was the only player that looked really good that game. BTW, in the second game of Davion’s career he played Indiana State, had 21 minutes and didn’t get off a shot. Which brings me back to the original reason Powell even entered this thread. It wasn’t because I was singing his praises or bemoaning his loss. It was about him being characterized as a below average by one poster and a D2 guy by you. You used him as an example for fan reaction compared to Mitchell. There are valid reasons for different reactions when the two left, although I was personally more disappointed to see Mitchell leave, his freshman contributions were fairly minimal and Powell’s were more significant. That doesn’t make Powell a better player by a long shot. One can analyze weaknesses in his game and why he’ll likely never play a minute in the NBA. I personally think he lacks too many intangibles beyond basketball skills. But fan reaction tends to be in the moment based on production, not analysis of skills or potential. I was really upset Mitchell left until Harper came out looking so improved. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Speaking of Larry Bird

It was 91/92 season, and we were playing the Boston Celtics; it was Bird, McHale, Parrish — the great three. And we were up by one. He said, 'who's guarding me?' After we come from the time-out. Now remember I'm a rookie, I said, 'Craig Ehlo.' He said, 'why you got that white boy on me? Don't put that white boy on me.'

Let's not be naive about race in sports. 

Your correct. But when I played. I didn't care what color the cat was who lined up next to me . All I cared about was the nose guard keeping the Off. Line off me or the point guard feeding me in the post.

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Your correct. But when I played. I didn't care what color the cat was who lined up next to me . All I cared about was the nose guard keeping the Off. Line off me or the point guard feeding me in the post.

I am sure you didn't, but I am talking about the elite of the elite. Like track, you rarely see a white individual at the very top or the face of basketball. It would be the same discussion if it was a black hockey player who was #1 overall. It is totally okay to objectively notice that, just like when Peyton Hillis went off in the NFL. It was not solely because he was a fullback. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Gonzaga was the 2nd game of his college career as a true freshman. He came off the bench and led the team in assists & rebounds (granted, it didn’t take much) and scored more than 3 starters. Did he light it up? Of course not. Flan was the only player that looked really good that game. BTW, in the second game of Davion’s career he played Indiana State, had 21 minutes and didn’t get off a shot. Which brings me back to the original reason Powell even entered this thread. It wasn’t because I was singing his praises or bemoaning his loss. It was about him being characterized as a below average by one poster and a D2 guy by you. You used him as an example for fan reaction compared to Mitchell. There are valid reasons for different reactions when the two left, although I was personally more disappointed to see Mitchell leave, his freshman contributions were fairly minimal and Powell’s were more significant. That doesn’t make Powell a better player by a long shot. One can analyze weaknesses in his game and why he’ll likely never play a minute in the NBA. I personally think he lacks too many intangibles beyond basketball skills. But fan reaction tends to be in the moment based on production, not analysis of skills or potential. I was really upset Mitchell left until Harper came out looking so improved. 

I don't know details of Mitchell or anything I just remember posting wish he was still here and people fought with me for saying that because I guess he didn't do nothing and back then they were saying he wouldn't be any good. 

I say what I say about Powell because when he left I said it wouldn't be a big deal and people went crazy telling me he was the best player on the team and he was an future all conference player and anybody can see how good he is don't give a damn what Cole says and all of that. So when it comes up was he over hyped, I'm literally the person people went at about him and he was absolutely over hyped. Me saying he's probably a D2 player came within that discussion. 

All of this was started I guess by me pointing out that a white dude all around player carrying a team would produce a bunch of money here and maybe that could mean even more money offered to him. I don't know why we have to pretend that's not true. I really don't. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am sure you didn't, but I am talking about the elite of the elite. Like track, you rarely see a white individual at the very top or the face of basketball. It would be the same discussion if it was a black hockey player who was #1 overall. It is totally okay to objectively notice that, just like when Peyton Hillis went off in the NFL. It was not solely because he was a fullback. 

Right? It would be unique. Not just a tall guy getting rebounds and stuff but a guy really getting buckets that's clearly going to be a top 3 pick? That would go crazy anywhere but even moreso here. I think we use that as a selling point to come here. 

• Like 1