2023 5* PG Scoot Henderson

gravejd

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

I’ve definitely seen the one and done info but the last I saw was it would not be gotten rid of before the 2025 draft. Never seen anything on dropping the age limit.

It goes hand in hand with ending one and done - see here for example. Not sure on the latest timeline.

21 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

It goes hand in hand with ending one and done - see here for example. Not sure on the latest timeline.

Yeah. That article is over 2 years old. It's come out since then it wouldn't be til 2025 likely til players can go straight from high school to the NBA.

• Thanks 1

2022 five-star PG Scoota Henderson talks G League, recruitment and more

ByTRAVIS BRANHAM 5 hours ago 

Share2 Comments

Scoota Henderson, the No. 14 overall prospect in the 2022 class, continued his campaign of being the top point guard prospect in the class this past weekend with some dominant performances at The Tip-Off Classic.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound five-star guard out of Marietta (Ga.) Kell, playing for Game Elite, caught up with 247Sports to discuss the latest on his recruitment, timeframe on a decision, the G League pathway and more.

"I feel like I played pretty good this weekend," said Henderson. "I'm just trying to lead my teammates to a big win every game. We had some ups and downs but I feel like my leadership really helped my team get the win today."

One particular aspect of Henderson's game that was on display was improved shot-making, something he has honed in on during his down-time.

"Every time I get the chance I go to the gym and workout, work on my craft, work on my weaknesses," he said of his improved jumper . "I'm just always working."

Henderson has continued to shine and impress the past 12-months and he says he has grown the most in one particular area.

"Like I have been saying for a minute, my leadership," he said of the area he has grown the most in. "I feel like just me talking on the floor, communicating with my teammates, make sure they're feeling good on the court because you can't win without your team so that's what I have been working on since last summer."

With the spring circuit now upon us and the summer approaching, Henderson has lofty goals for his final AAU season.

"I'm trying to be the best player in the nation and be the best team in the nation," Henderson said of his goals.

On the recruiting front, schools are continuing to show interest and working on landing the outstanding prospect.

"Pretty good right now," he said of his recruiting process. "More schools came in Arkansas, Kentucky, Memphis, some of the big blue schools like Kansas."

Henderson noted what Arkansas and Kentucky, as well as the Auburn Tigers.

Arkansas: "That they love me and can see me in their program."

Auburn: "A lot of kids from Atlanta, in the metro-Atlanta area, go to that program and do very well so they're just trying to convince me to come there and be the next big thing from here to go to Auburn."

Kentucky: "Just making sure we are in contact, just in case I want to take that big step into a big blue school."

Henderson's play the past year has been outstanding and he has made a strong case for being the top point guard in both the 2022 and 2021 classes.

There has been rumblings that a possible reclassification could come for Henderson and he discussed where things stood on the possibility of jumping to the 2021 Class.

"I haven't thought about that yet but I am going to try to talk it over with my family sometime soon if I will do that or not," stated Henderson.

Henderson holds a 100% Crystal Ball in favor of Bruce Pearl and the Tigers but it is still undetermined as to when he will make his college announcement.

"No estimated time right now, I'm just trying to focus on the summer and work on my craft," he said.

As to what he is looking for in a college suitor, he said just a place to develop.

"Just to make the big step to the League," said Henderson. "That's just another step to the League, get stronger there, get used to that college bump so if I go to the League then I am used to it already."

Another possible pathway could come from the G League and while Henderson hasn't personally heard from them, he does have high praise for their success this past season.

2COMMENTS

"That's a huge opportunity that like all of the players that went there and made the decision to go to the G League first instead of college, that was huge," he said.

Henderson is currently the No. 14 overall prospect in the 247Sports Top150 and the No. 2 overall point guard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When it comes to Auburn targets, he may be Numero uno

There's no maybe about it, 21 or 22 class.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

There's no maybe about it, 21 or 22 class.

Not only Auburn but a lot of other schools too!

6 hours ago, smithsaufan1345162789 said:

I'm hearing he should commit before the weekend. 

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@smithsaufan1345162789 Insiders on the bunker are saying on the weekend..

I'd really be ok with either of you being correct. Come on down Scoot!!

I hope this goes right. I usually hate getting in a position where this absolutely have to go right. We really really need this guy to come here. He's IMO the most important signing including football the last ten years or so.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

If we land Scoot, I think he’s going to make us forget about Shariffe Cooper very quickly. He may not have the passing ability, but he’s much more athletic and dangerous as a scorer. Better finisher at the rim, better 3-point shooter, and better defender. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

If we land Scoot, I think he’s going to make us forget about Shariffe Cooper very quickly. He may not have the passing ability, but he’s much more athletic and dangerous as a scorer. Better finisher at the rim, better 3-point shooter, and better defender. 

I haven't watched much film of Scoot, but Coop's talent wasn't exactly in passing, because he got too casual about it sometimes. Coop is very gifted in seeing the court and seeing how the play is going to develop, however, and it is that vision which makes him so special. I suspect that Scoot is harder to shut down the way teams were able to do sometimes with Coop primarily due to size, but really, we're going to be dangerous next year all around the court.

Honestly, though, any comparison between Scoot and Coop, at least if it's based upon their play at Auburn, probably won't be very fair to Sharife, because (hopefully, knock on wood) Scoot will be able to play the full season next year, whereas Coop only got a few games.

47 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I haven't watched much film of Scoot, but Coop's talent wasn't exactly in passing, because he got too casual about it sometimes. Coop is very gifted in seeing the court and seeing how the play is going to develop, however, and it is that vision which makes him so special. I suspect that Scoot is harder to shut down the way teams were able to do sometimes with Coop primarily due to size, but really, we're going to be dangerous next year all around the court.

Honestly, though, any comparison between Scoot and Coop, at least if it's based upon their play at Auburn, probably won't be very fair to Sharife, because (hopefully, knock on wood) Scoot will be able to play the full season next year, whereas Coop only got a few games.

And their different styles of a PG. Different builds, different ways to score.

Bottom line, we need a guard that can protect the ball, distribute the ball,  have ability to dribble drive to the basket, and/or be able to make the defense play honest by hitting the outside shots.

We've had different PGs so far with PEarl. Harper had an explosive drive to the basket, but also could bury at a pretty good clip deep 3's. McCormick, was quicker, very aggressive on his dribble drive and score ability, played good defense, and at times could hit the outside shot. Cooper was a master and the best ball handler, vision on the court and get the ball up the court, and great on drives to the basket or as he drives, dish it off or alley oop, and his outside shot was probably his weakest trait.

So Scoot will bring his style and hopefully add to our list of good to great PGs.

So, assuming he comes in in '21, how many one and dones that bring to us this Fall?

I'm not enjoying the taste of rebuild every year like UK does.  I want some consistency.  We've lost, what 3 freshmen starters and a couple more support guys.  Heck, that's half the team!

How many one and doners are we hoping for in '22?

Scoot has an incredible, mid range game. I'd go as far as the best I've seen from a guard in high school. 

He's big, strong, mature, composed, excellent shooter, great finisher, athletic. Huge hands. To be honest there's really no comparing him to our past guards. We haven't had a guard as complete as him. 

Cooper is a little quicker than him but that's all anybody has on him. 

He's a mismatch as soon as somebody has to match up with him one on one. And if he grows a few more inches oh my gosh. 

I'd like to see him go to his left more. And the best thing about him he may end up being able to do is what LeBron James does and makes him so great....I think he has the ability to be able to dictate tempo by his presence alone. But we'll see. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Scoot has an incredible, mid range game. I'd go as far as the best I've seen from a guard in high school. 

He's big, strong, mature, composed, excellent shooter, great finisher, athletic. Huge hands. To be honest there's really no comparing him to our past guards. We haven't had a guard as complete as him. 

Cooper is a little quicker than him but that's all anybody has on him. 

He's a mismatch as soon as somebody has to match up with him one on one. And if he grows a few more inches oh my gosh. 

I'd like to see him go to his left more. And the best thing about him he may end up being able to do is what LeBron James does and makes him so great....I think he has the ability to be able to dictate tempo by his presence alone. But we'll see. 

I like the sound of this scouting report!!

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

So, assuming he comes in in '21, how many one and dones that bring to us this Fall?

I'm not enjoying the taste of rebuild every year like UK does.  I want some consistency.  We've lost, what 3 freshmen starters and a couple more support guys.  Heck, that's half the team!

How many one and doners are we hoping for in '22?

Scoot can't be a one-and-done. If he reclassifies he has to stay 2 years. Jabari would be the only definite one-and-done this coming up year.

• Like 1

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

Scoot can't be a one-and-done. If he reclassifies he has to stay 2 years. Jabari would be the only definite one-and-done this coming up year.

Well, technically, he could probably go to the G-League if he wanted to, and be one-and-done that way...

19 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, technically, he could probably go to the G-League if he wanted to, and be one-and-done that way...

I mean, if we're gonna play technicalities. Every Freshman can be a one-and-done if they want to transfer at the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I mean, if we're gonna play technicalities. Every Freshman can be a one-and-done if they want to transfer at the end of the season.

No, that's not a one-and-done. That just means they'll continue their college career elsewhere. One-and-done, to me, means going pro after only one year in college. :gofig:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

No, that's not a one-and-done. That just means they'll continue their college career elsewhere. One-and-done, to me, means going pro after only one year in college. :gofig:

At the end of the day it means all the same for Auburn. The kid won't be playing a second year at Auburn. But it's more likely, IMO, that a kid will transfer after one year than a kid will go to the G-League after one year. But stranger things have happened in the past.

• Like 1

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

At the end of the day it means all the same for Auburn. The kid won't be playing a second year at Auburn. But it's more likely, IMO, that a kid will transfer after one year than a kid will go to the G-League after one year. But stranger things have happened in the past.

With the G-League being such a new development for 18 year old kids to choose instead of college, I believe it's difficult to say whether a kid would leave for that reason if he already has a year of college but still is not eligible for the draft due to age. I'm not sure how many situations there have been like that to date. I mean, would he even be eligible for the G-League during the 21-22 season, or would he still be too young? If he's already eligible for that league and still comes to Auburn, then it's highly unlikely that he would leave after a year to go pro, since he still wouldn't be eligible for the NBA. If he won't be eligible for that league until 22-23, then I could see it being an issue we have to get past.

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

With the G-League being such a new development for 18 year old kids to choose instead of college, I believe it's difficult to say whether a kid would leave for that reason if he already has a year of college but still is not eligible for the draft due to age. I'm not sure how many situations there have been like that to date. I mean, would he even be eligible for the G-League during the 21-22 season, or would he still be too young? If he's already eligible for that league and still comes to Auburn, then it's highly unlikely that he would leave after a year to go pro, since he still wouldn't be eligible for the NBA. If he won't be eligible for that league until 22-23, then I could see it being an issue we have to get past.

Watching the tourney every year, I don't see how a 1nDone wouldn't rather go to college over G League. Unless they need an immediate paycheck I just think you get much more exposure and chances to prove yourself in college. 

Jalen Green has been very solid on his G League, but I have to Google it to find out. He's still a lottery pick, but back to my exposure point

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Watching the tourney every year, I don't see how a 1nDone wouldn't rather go to college over G League. Unless they need an immediate paycheck I just think you get much more exposure and chances to prove yourself in college. 

Jalen Green has been very solid on his G League, but I have to Google it to find out. He's still a lottery pick, but back to my exposure point

People in front office positions in the NBA get paid lots of money to know about these things. I don't think exposure matters as much as you think if the player is elite.

Can you go to college and play your way into a lottery pick and big contract? Sure.