2023 5* PG Scoot Henderson

gravejd

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Go over and read the article posted in the Deep Fried AU Basketball topic.  It convincingly argues Scoot made the wrong decision.

Yes he did.  And he surely knows it by now.  Didn't he throw Pearl under the bus when he decided to decommit from AU?

• Haha 1

Scoot completely made the right decision for himself. His ability to make grown men look like high school players as he blows past them, scores on them, has lifted him to consensus top two with an increasingly growing chance at passing up the most generational draft prospect in years. Jalen Green made the wrong decision because his stock actually dropped in some eyes.  A Daishen Nix made the wrong decision because he completely disappeared. Scoot's stock has risen immensely and so has his strengths.

I don't know what Scoot could've gained from getting less development, sharing shots and touches with a 5 star Jabari, team leader Flanigan, etc, on top of not constantly being fed feedback on what he needs to improve for the league (from the league's associates itself) for two whole years. 

The only thing Goodman even says in that article is that:

1. Scoot would've had more fun and better memories in college 

2. Wouldn't have been developed as well (which I'd contend just isn't correct and hasn't been for Scoot to this point) 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

You'd have to twist out an interpretation that such external things that come with college admiration matter to the guy, and he would've considered anywhere if they did. He picked the GLeague grind, pay and development over the entirety of collegiate basketball, not just Auburn.

Lol. Only an Auburn fan would try to convince themselves a lottery pick is miserable and made s wrong decision to make them feel better 😂

The past few weeks in the NBA have been filled with players like Lance Stephenson, Isaiah Thomas, Mario Chalmers and DeMarcus Cousins, and more than 100 G League players signing 10-day contracts. It's all thanks to the new hardship rule due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols.

One player you won't hear getting called up, even though many teams would love to, is 17-year-old Scoot Henderson from the G League Ignite.

"The only thing holding Scoot back from getting a chance in the league right now is his age," one NBA team scout told Yahoo Sports. "I'm sure there's a lot of teams out there wishing they could add him to their roster right now, he's that good."

As a junior at Kell High School in Marietta, Georgia, Henderson, a five-star prospect, made the bold move to reclassify a year up and sign with the G League Ignite, becoming the youngest player to sign with a G League team. Because of his age, Henderson won't qualify for the NBA draft until he's 19. He reportedly signed a two-year contract for $1 million. The 6-foot-4 point guard chose the professional route over Kansas, Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, Florida and other colleges. 

"The G League was the best option for me and just developing my game more and getting better going up against professionals," Henderson told Yahoo Sports last June. "I'm excited to get to work and learn from my teammates and coaches, and have two years to settle into the pace and spacing of the NBA game." 

Scoot Henderson dribbles during a G League Ignite game.

G League Ignite guard Scoot Henderson is only 17 but already projected to be a top-three pick in the 2023 NBA draft. (Darren Yamashita/USA TODAY Sports)

The past two summers, Henderson has traveled to Las Vegas to work out at Impact Basketball with trainer Joe Abunassar, who has trained top draft prospects for 25 years.

Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Garnett, Chauncey Billups, Kristaps Porzingis, Myles Turner, Tyrese Haliburton, Malachi Flynn and Ziaire Williams all trained with Abunassar and his staff while gearing up for the draft. At just 16, Henderson entered the gym while Haliburton, Flynn and Josh Green, all first-round draft picks, were working out and was ready to go. 

"Within the first 10 minutes he was on the court, I was like, 'Whoa this kid is pretty good,' " Abunassar told Yahoo Sports. "Physically, for a kid his age, he was just a strong body and then you add speed and control around the rim, he's something special." 

Henderson spent two weeks at Impact that first summer, and what impressed Abunassar the most was his work ethic. 

"A lot of young kids come to work out with us during the summers and they kind of get overwhelmed by the pro schedule: morning and afternoon workouts, weights, nutrition," Abunassar added. "Scoot had no problem. He's a hard worker, very skilled and checks all the boxes for an NBA pro. He matches the intensity level of whoever is on the court, and that's not a very common thing for a young player to be able to do that." 

Scoot Henderson dominating G League among older players

Henderson arrived to Walnut Creek, California, in August to begin his professional career on the G League Ignite team under new head coach Jason Hart. 

"When I saw him the first time in a workout, it shocked me," Hart told Yahoo Sports. "So now in a game I'm like, 'What are you going to do next?' And it doesn't really shock me anymore. His game is so mature for a player his age. He's getting better daily, and he's a player that wants to get better." 

Henderson is playing alongside 2022 NBA draft prospects Jaden Hardy, Dyson Daniels, MarJon Beauchamp and Michael Foster. He was sidelined the first three games with a cracked rib he suffered during the preseason and returned to the court in mid-November. 

It was his second game back against the Santa Cruz Warriors that got everyone's attention. Every NBA team had a scout in the building as Henderson looked well beyond his years, finishing with 31 points on 10-of-15 shooting, six rebounds, five assists and three steals. 

"He's strong with the ball and has another level most players don't have," one scout said after seeing Henderson play. "If he's playing like this as a teenager in the G League, I can't wait to see the player he becomes at the NBA level." 

The scouting report is out, and Henderson has found ways to adjust to defenses and positively impact the game. He had his first double-double (19 points, 10 assists) last week in a loss to the Mexico City Capitanes. 

"I'm loving it so far," Henderson told Yahoo Sports. "I'm loving the ups and downs and that's what builds you as a player and your character, honestly. As I play more, I think the pace will slow down for me and my mindset will slow down and I'll be able to read things better." 

Where Henderson is projected in 2023 NBA draft

Henderson might not be getting a call-up to play in the NBA right now, but if he continues down this path, he'll hear his name called toward the top of the 2023 draft. 

"I try to treat it like I'm going into the draft this year, that's how I look at it and how I'm trying to play this season," Henderson said. 

There aren't a ton of great lead guards in the 2022 draft class. Projected toward the top of the draft are forwards/centers Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith, Chet Holmgren, Jalen Duren and shooting guards Jaden Ivey, Johnny Davis and Hardy. The desire for a lead guard to build a franchise around becomes more appealing and knowing Henderson will be there already has many teams looking forward to the following year's draft. 

Some early 2023 NBA mock drafts have Henderson as a top-three pick. Where does Henderson think he'll hear his name called? 

"No. 1. I think I'm the best player in my draft class," Henderson told Yahoo Sports without any hesitation. "Just in how unique I am, how poised I am on the court and confident. LaMelo [Ball] is a prime example. He came in acting like he'd been in the league for three years and that's how I want to be." 

"I'm rolling with him, he'll be No. 1," Hart told Yahoo Sports. "That's the goal, and we're going to work on making him the No. 1 pick." 

The early success as a teenager in the G League means Henderson could be the next great point guard to take over the NBA. He watches a lot of film on Chris Paul, Jrue Holiday and Ja Morant and tries to draw different things from their game. 

"He reminds me of a young Derrick Rose," Hart added. "And I say that watching Derrick Rose in high school and in college. He's on that same trajectory. I think at the NBA level he has a potential to be an All-Star. His dreams are far exceeding what I'm telling you he's going to be because you can see how he works, so the sky's the limit for him." 

It will be nearly two more years until we see Henderson play his first NBA game. He still has another summer to work out with Abunassar and draft prospects in Las Vegas, and continue to improve his already impressive skills. In the meantime, Henderson will continue to dominate professionals — some, twice his age — in the G League. 

49 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You'd have to twist out an interpretation that such external things that come with college admiration matter to the guy, and he would've considered anywhere if they did. He picked the GLeague grind, pay and development over the entirety of collegiate basketball, not just Auburn.

That article they referred to is hilarious. Like what does that the writer have to gain trying to pretend that scoot is struggling? Just to make Auburn fans feel better I guess? I think journalist should be held accountable for stuff like that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

That article they referred to is hilarious. Like what does that the writer have to gain trying to pretend that scoot is struggling? Just to make Auburn fans feel better I guess? I think journalist should be held accountable for stuff like that

well if you follow his relationship with Auburn, alot of Auburn fans believe him to be explicitly biased against our football program. So I figure he, knowing that many Auburn fans don't really follow the pros, lied in part to gain that goodwill on the basketball side

I LOVED Scoot as a prospect, but that man does not need to be in college. I really feel like he passes up Wembanyama 

Well, for the record, I *could* maybe see Scoot regretting not going the college route...just not at this juncture. He probably won't, but if he ever does, it would be in retrospect, years down the road thinking about how he could have gotten a big NIL deal while also enjoying a year of being big man on campus. Hell, he could be on the same pro team as Jabari and they get to talking about the differences of their experiences.

Another possibility would be if, God forbid, he were to get badly injured before being drafted, in which case, had he gone to college, he would still have plenty of connections to fall back upon. Obviously he has the money to go to school if something like that happens (provided he managed it properly, which is questionable for a teenager with an ego like his...and I don't point out the ego as a detrimental thing, because it's almost necessary to play at his level), but he wouldn't be plugged into the athletics program to be lined up with jobs in other areas of basketball...like, for instance, Daymeon Fishback with SEC Network.

However, in all likelihood, given the level of play he has showcased thus far, I suspect he is going to look back on this decision as the best one he ever made.

I wonder how the other players on the Ignite team will look back on the same situation, though?

I would think he's met far more influential connections doing what he does now that he ever would've made as an Auburn basketball player. 

I also doubt jalen green, lamello ball, and kuminga regret their decision either. Everybody has different paths and that's fine. I just think it's silly for dudes on a message board to try to convince themselves some career altering mistake was made by not attending Auburn. 

Truth be told he was going to do alot more for Auburn than Auburn was ever going to do for him. People should be happy that he even considered to play here. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

well if you follow his relationship with Auburn, alot of Auburn fans believe him to be explicitly biased against our football program. So I figure he, knowing that many Auburn fans don't really follow the pros, lied in part to gain that goodwill on the basketball side

I LOVED Scoot as a prospect, but that man does not need to be in college. I really feel like he passes up Wembanyama 

He's the best point guard prospect we've ever had. He literally had a pro game in high school. I don't think I've ever seen a guard in high school with a more developed mid range game. And he's just 17 RIGHT NOW. He's not even grown yet and he went into the g league almost getting triple doubles. That's freaking AMAZING. And dude wrote his article to pretend this guy isn't successful because he didn't start 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 6:39 AM, cole256 said:

I would think he's met far more influential connections doing what he does now that he ever would've made as an Auburn basketball player. 

Meeting people and becoming part of a network are not the same thing. Had he come to Auburn (or any other school), he would have had connections that go a little deeper than just meeting someone and being able to say they talked for five minutes.

That is not at all to say he should have gone to college instead, only to differentiate being on a team vs being part of a program.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Meeting people and becoming part of a network are not the same thing. Had he come to Auburn (or any other school), he would have had connections that go a little deeper than just meeting someone and being able to say they talked for five minutes.

That is not at all to say he should have gone to college instead, only to differentiate being on a team vs being part of a program.

Are you pulling an E? 😂 Yes I know there's a difference between networking and meeting, I'm saying he has a group of people he's networking with now that he wouldn't have had he went to Auburn and the people he's meeting (networking) now offer more in the basketball world than people at Auburn. 

Yes maybe not the same doors as he won't be a commentator for Auburn games like you mentioned, but now maybe an exec program for Nike or an professional agency

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just watched scoot playing knock out with lamello, Anthony Edwards, and okoro.....I doubt he's regretting ANYTHING in life right now

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Just watched scoot playing knock out with lamello, Anthony Edwards, and okoro.....I doubt he's regretting ANYTHING in life right now

He’s certainly not. Would probably be a top-5 pick if he were eligible this year. As much as I love Wen and Zep, this team would be near unstoppable had the G-League not changed their rules and Scoot had ended up here. Top guard prospect in the country right now for sure. 

1 hour ago, AuburnArch13 said:

He’s certainly not. Would probably be a top-5 pick if he were eligible this year. As much as I love Wen and Zep, this team would be near unstoppable had the G-League not changed their rules and Scoot had ended up here. Top guard prospect in the country right now for sure. 

He's rated number 2 in next year draft right now and that's because the number 1 guy is like a transcendent player. 

You're right if he was on this team it literally wouldn't be fair. 

He certainly made the right decision, he's going to learn so much from the guys this all star break. 

• 1 year later...

Anybody still following him? He just partnered up and is being mentored by Steph Curry (not just basketball, but in executive ownership) this is what I was talking about that where he's at now he would be meeting people that would have more to offer him in terms of personal success and personal goals

• 1 month later...

Before he made the early G League leap, Scoot Henderson was an Auburn lock

Scott Henderson had silently committed to Auburn behind the scenes in the spring of 2021 before the talks of reclassifying and going pro had really surfaced.

Travis Branham92 mins

It feels like a long time has passed since Scoot Henderson was in high school and going through the recruiting process. He was a member of the 2022 recruiting class and ranked as a five-star prospect, fluctuating in and out of the top 10 rankings and playing for Kell High School in Marietta, Ga., and the Game Elite 3SSB program.

It was in the heat of the covid shutdowns but Henderson and his teams were still competing in the Southeast and as a 16-year-old, he was a special talent. Colleges had started to take notice and despite not being able to get out and see him in person, they were tracking Henderson with online livestreams.

Schools in pursuit of Henderson included Arkansas, Auburn and Kentucky. Had Henderson played college basketball, he was a lock to suit up for Bruce Pearl and the Auburn Tigers. In fact, Henderson had actually silently committed to Auburn behind the scenes in the spring of 2021 before the talks of reclassifying and going pro had really surfaced.

Ultimately, Henderson decided to turn pro following his junior season of high school and join the Ignite early. He was 17-years-old at the time and because of NBA Draft eligibility rules was required to play two seasons to eclipse the 19-year-old threshold.

In his final season with Kell, Henderson took his motor — which had been a concern — to another level, with his game blossoming because of it. The triumphant moment of that year was when he faced off against the top point guard in the senior class at the time - JD Davison - in front of a packed house at the annual Holiday Hoopsgiving. In his showdown, Henderson dominated from start to finish and showcased that he was the nation's top point guard, regardless of class. When he announced his move to the G League Ignite, Henderson still needed to work on his decision-making and his jumper, which made his decision interesting yet understanding. 

On one hand, Henderson wasn't going to get much better in the high school ranks, but on the other he could have played a year at Auburn (2021-22) before deciding to go to the Ignite (22-23). In the fall 2021, the NIL world was just getting underway, but had Henderson gone to Auburn he would still have made some good coin, served as must-see TV and had taken the SEC by storm. Him plus Jabari Smith plus Walker Kessler? Sign me up. 

We have seen year after year how Auburn gives its guards limitless freedom in its high-octane offense, which can elevate their game and stature. Pearl and the Tigers were able to take a three-star guard in Justin Powelland in their system make NBA evaluators think he was a potential lottery pick.

Had Henderson gone to Auburn for even just a year, his explosiveness and ability to get downhill would have made him nearly impossible to contain. In a comparison with Brandon Miller, who faced college guys and not pros, Scoot would be a lock to go second in Thursday's 2023 NBA Draft. 

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 5* PG Scoot Henderson
15 hours ago, toddc said:

Before he made the early G League leap, Scoot Henderson was an Auburn lock

Scott Henderson had silently committed to Auburn behind the scenes in the spring of 2021 before the talks of reclassifying and going pro had really surfaced.

Travis Branham92 mins

It feels like a long time has passed since Scoot Henderson was in high school and going through the recruiting process. He was a member of the 2022 recruiting class and ranked as a five-star prospect, fluctuating in and out of the top 10 rankings and playing for Kell High School in Marietta, Ga., and the Game Elite 3SSB program.

It was in the heat of the covid shutdowns but Henderson and his teams were still competing in the Southeast and as a 16-year-old, he was a special talent. Colleges had started to take notice and despite not being able to get out and see him in person, they were tracking Henderson with online livestreams.

Schools in pursuit of Henderson included Arkansas, Auburn and Kentucky. Had Henderson played college basketball, he was a lock to suit up for Bruce Pearl and the Auburn Tigers. In fact, Henderson had actually silently committed to Auburn behind the scenes in the spring of 2021 before the talks of reclassifying and going pro had really surfaced.

Ultimately, Henderson decided to turn pro following his junior season of high school and join the Ignite early. He was 17-years-old at the time and because of NBA Draft eligibility rules was required to play two seasons to eclipse the 19-year-old threshold.

In his final season with Kell, Henderson took his motor — which had been a concern — to another level, with his game blossoming because of it. The triumphant moment of that year was when he faced off against the top point guard in the senior class at the time - JD Davison - in front of a packed house at the annual Holiday Hoopsgiving. In his showdown, Henderson dominated from start to finish and showcased that he was the nation's top point guard, regardless of class. When he announced his move to the G League Ignite, Henderson still needed to work on his decision-making and his jumper, which made his decision interesting yet understanding. 

On one hand, Henderson wasn't going to get much better in the high school ranks, but on the other he could have played a year at Auburn (2021-22) before deciding to go to the Ignite (22-23). In the fall 2021, the NIL world was just getting underway, but had Henderson gone to Auburn he would still have made some good coin, served as must-see TV and had taken the SEC by storm. Him plus Jabari Smith plus Walker Kessler? Sign me up. 

We have seen year after year how Auburn gives its guards limitless freedom in its high-octane offense, which can elevate their game and stature. Pearl and the Tigers were able to take a three-star guard in Justin Powelland in their system make NBA evaluators think he was a potential lottery pick.

Had Henderson gone to Auburn for even just a year, his explosiveness and ability to get downhill would have made him nearly impossible to contain. In a comparison with Brandon Miller, who faced college guys and not pros, Scoot would be a lock to go second in Thursday's 2023 NBA Draft. 

This just sums up Auburn basketball in a nut shell.  We are always that one guy away that we either lose to injury, suspension, or G-league starting up a team for a 17 year old from truly competing (with a strong possibility of winning) for a championship. Always 1 away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have always been trying to explain the type of talent scoot has. I don't think some understood....I've said repeatedly the most talented guard we would have ever had.....I'm thinking at least one title here before he would've left 

The posts saying suggesting he made a mistake is pretty funny. It seems even that last article was suggesting that. Our fan base 😂😂😂😂

Also you see the Powell lottery pick comment......but I had people arguing he wasn't hyped by our fan base