2023 5* PG Scoot Henderson

gravejd

7 hours ago, AUGoo said:

So, assuming he comes in in '21, how many one and dones that bring to us this Fall?

@AUGoo depends who we land & how they do at AU. Jabari should be 1 & done. If we land him TyTy Washington could be 1 & done. If Scoot reclassifies to 2021 as rules are now he would have to stay 2 years because you have to be 19 at minimum your draft year to go into the draft. Scoot will not be 19 til 2023.

7 hours ago, AUGoo said:

How many one and doners are we hoping for in '22?

No clue since we don't know yet who the staff would even take in that class besides Scoot if he doesn't reclassify & commit Sage Tolentino.

5 hours ago, smithsaufan1345162789 said:

Friday is what I was told. 

@smithsaufan1345162789 it's now looking later than either date. The staff is now hoping his family makes a reclassification decision within the next week but are thinking it might be a couple weeks out now, all per JLee.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

People in front office positions in the NBA get paid lots of money to know about these things. I don't think exposure matters as much as you think if the player is elite.

Can you go to college and play your way into a lottery pick and big contract? Sure. 

I agree with you. A brand doesn't mean anything unless you are the elite of the elite and really you can make most of that on your own from social media. Is there really a big difference between Cade Cunningham and jalen green? I don't think so at all.

Nobody has more star potential out of his class than Melo ball and he didn't play in college. 

In the G league you get more prepared, have more time to get better, and have direct access to NBA. And as it get more and more people it will become more marketable.  And after this draft it may have 2 guys in the first 5 picks get drafted. People are going to see that and become more comfortable doing it. 

You're right he's unique but it wasn't because of his family. But you are right very unique but you can use the guy from Iowa st that plays for Sacramento and Anthony Edwards. 

My point is the success of each guy is what is driving them right now. But once again this will better be evaluated after green and JK has gone through their season a bit, but except super special cases guys success on the court drives their popularity which drives their endorsements.

I can't think of anybody recently that were exponentially helped because of college. I can't even really think of a household name really lately. Zion but he's a special case too, he was famous before college.

13 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

People in front office positions in the NBA get paid lots of money to know about these things. I don't think exposure matters as much as you think if the player is elite.

Can you go to college and play your way into a lottery pick and big contract? Sure. 

Completely agree, just a badly worded post on my part I guess. Wasn't trying to say the guys going G League are hindering their chances at NBA, of course the NBA teams know who the elites are, college or G League.

I guess my post was more selfish talking about fan exposure, which like you said really doesn't matter about getting into the pros.  NCAA games are more televised and the entire country is watching the tournament.  If I asked an average basketball fan who Jalen Suggs is (top 10 recruit) they'd tell me yea the guy that hit that crazy game winning 3 in the tourney vs UCLA. If I asked who Jalen Green is (top 10 recruit) they probably wouldn't know.

But yea when talking about going pro, at the end of the day whether or not the average fan knows who you are has no effect on where you're drafted. 

Exposure is why colleges have to allow kids to make money off their likeness if they are going to compete with these minor leagues. College really has 2 advantages over minor leagues. One is the exposure where if you go to a college you have a fan base as you are hitting the big leagues. And having that built in fan base helps a lot when signing those endorsement deals. But as more kids go the minor league route the exposure advantage could decrease as more people start following minor league teams. The other advantage is the ability to learn the game without having a paycheck hanging over your head. Think of it as a safety net. If you come in and struggle a bit in the g-league well you are worried about playing time, getting that next deal, how you can improve your game......the whole thing. In college you can come in and struggle and while you have to worry about getting better and such you don't have to worry about where you are going to live and how you are going to feed yourself. The thing is most of the kids with a chance at the minor leagues aren't that concerned about not being able to make it.....they have been the best since they have played the game. 

But if the NCAA allows these guys to make money of their likeness then that really helps the exposure angle the colleges can sell as a way to offset what these guys could be making by going the g-league route. 

The only thing the NCAA had going for them was the unknown of the situation, it has seemed to work wonders for JK and JG. Unless college changes some things the g League is going to be a big problem. 

The NBA is doing NCAA favors right now and is allowing them a little time to get things in order because the NBA isn't marketing the g League as hard as they could. I'm telling you the g League is a bigger threat that many are realizing and the success of the guys this year is going to do a bunch. If they are successful early in their careers it will get even more exposure. 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

The only thing the NCAA had going for them was the unknown of the situation, it has seemed to work wonders for JK and JG. Unless college changes some things the g League is going to be a big problem. 

The NBA is doing NCAA favors right now and is allowing them a little time to get things in order because the NBA isn't marketing the g League as hard as they could. I'm telling you the g League is a bigger threat that many are realizing and the success of the guys this year is going to do a bunch. If they are successful early in their careers it will get even more exposure. 

How does this affect us?  College basketball turns into college baseball?  We ultimately just get a less talented sport to watch?  Does it create parity, or do the blue bloods still reign?

Per an insider on the Bunker the G League has come calling late on Scoot just like they did with Jalen Green.He is conflicted for the 1st time in his recruitment. If he reclassifies he would be AU bound. If he stays in the 2022 class the chances go up that he goes to the G League.

• Sad 1

Atleast this time we have time to replace him with good talent should he decide to go that route. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Per an insider on the Bunker the G League has come calling late on Scoot just like they did with Jalen Green.He is conflicted for the 1st time in his recruitment. If he reclassifies he would be AU bound. If he stays in the 2022 class the chances go up that he goes to the G League.

Me to the G League after yet another Auburn high probability target: 

il_570xN.1182152461_c7ug.jpg

• Love 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

we knew at some point,  they were gonna come callin.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:08 PM, AUDevil said:

How does this affect us?  College basketball turns into college baseball?  We ultimately just get a less talented sport to watch?  Does it create parity, or do the blue bloods still reign?

I don’t think the NCAA has much leverage.  They could possibly use their TV contracts as some kind of bargaining chip alongside ESPN?

only other thing I can think of ... and I’ve mentioned this before ... rule all kids who play AAU bball as ineligible for college.  You essentially force kids to decide if they want to be pros or amateur athletes early high school.  It’ll reduce the quality of play on the court for a bit but I’d think the bball talented kids that go college route will be more mature, better nba players after 2-4 years.  Also, if you eliminate the 1 and dones then the talent will spread to more college teams and create more parity.

ive always thought the nba would benefit from a situation similar to mlb.  Either go pro or play college for 2 or 3 years.  

but I am very ill informed on the nba ... I readily admit that.  Just thinking from the hip ...

edit: another crazy idea ... the ncaa could allow the players to go all the way through the draft and if they don’t get the deal they want then let them retain their college eligibility.

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Thanks 1

Surprised no one has mentioned that we might not pull Scoot now in light of this announcement yesterday (added Bold in article)

Ex-UConn coach Kevin Ollie to coach new elite basketball prospect venture

Apr 12, 2021

Former UConn Huskies coach and 13-year NBA veteran Kevin Ollie has been hired as head coach and director of player development for the Overtime Elite, a new professional basketball league for top prospects between 16 and 18 years old.

"I'm ready to get back to what I was born to do: empowering and encouraging and supporting young people, and helping them grow," Ollie said in a statement. "There's no better place for me to do that than OTE, an extraordinary league for extraordinary young men. I consider it my mission to help these elite athletes realize their dreams."

Ollie will work with Brandon Williams, Overtime Elite's executive VP and head of basketball operations, to assemble what's expected to be a 40-person operations staff, including coaches, sports science and performance personnel, trainers and counselors to work with young players. Ollie won a national championship as UConn's coach in 2014, and Williams is a former NBA player and front-office executive with Philadelphia and Sacramento.

"Kevin has the leadership skills necessary to deliver on our goal: the holistic development of the athlete who is better prepared for the next level," Williams said in a statement.

The OTE's plan is to offer six-figure financial packages and an academic tutoring component for high school players to compete against prep school and international teams in a year-round training program. The league's model would allow for players to share in prospective revenue from name, image and likeness and sales of custom jerseys, trading cards and non-fungible tokens. These players would lose college eligibility but be able to advance toward the G League and NBA draft in a more basketball-intensive environment.

After winning a national title in his second season as coach at his alma mater in 2014, Ollie advanced to one more NCAA tournament before an acrimonious departure in 2018 because of an NCAA investigation. Ollie filed a suit against UConn to recoup $10 million in back pay, a process that has gone to arbitration.

This is Ollie's first basketball job since leaving UConn three years ago. Before becoming the fourth Black coach to win a Division I NCAA men's basketball title, Ollie, 48, had a stellar NBA playing career, rising from an undrafted guard into a solid backup guard for 11 NBA teams.

Ollie built a strong reputation for mentoring young stars on his teams in the league, including LeBron James in Cleveland and Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook in Oklahoma City. Ollie turned down an NBA head-coaching job with the Brooklyn Nets early in his UConn tenure.

53 minutes ago, akillshot said:

Surprised no one has mentioned that we might not pull Scoot now in light of this announcement yesterday (added Bold in article)

Ex-UConn coach Kevin Ollie to coach new elite basketball prospect venture

Apr 12, 2021

Former UConn Huskies coach and 13-year NBA veteran Kevin Ollie has been hired as head coach and director of player development for the Overtime Elite, a new professional basketball league for top prospects between 16 and 18 years old.

"I'm ready to get back to what I was born to do: empowering and encouraging and supporting young people, and helping them grow," Ollie said in a statement. "There's no better place for me to do that than OTE, an extraordinary league for extraordinary young men. I consider it my mission to help these elite athletes realize their dreams."

Ollie will work with Brandon Williams, Overtime Elite's executive VP and head of basketball operations, to assemble what's expected to be a 40-person operations staff, including coaches, sports science and performance personnel, trainers and counselors to work with young players. Ollie won a national championship as UConn's coach in 2014, and Williams is a former NBA player and front-office executive with Philadelphia and Sacramento.

"Kevin has the leadership skills necessary to deliver on our goal: the holistic development of the athlete who is better prepared for the next level," Williams said in a statement.

The OTE's plan is to offer six-figure financial packages and an academic tutoring component for high school players to compete against prep school and international teams in a year-round training program. The league's model would allow for players to share in prospective revenue from name, image and likeness and sales of custom jerseys, trading cards and non-fungible tokens. These players would lose college eligibility but be able to advance toward the G League and NBA draft in a more basketball-intensive environment.

After winning a national title in his second season as coach at his alma mater in 2014, Ollie advanced to one more NCAA tournament before an acrimonious departure in 2018 because of an NCAA investigation. Ollie filed a suit against UConn to recoup $10 million in back pay, a process that has gone to arbitration.

This is Ollie's first basketball job since leaving UConn three years ago. Before becoming the fourth Black coach to win a Division I NCAA men's basketball title, Ollie, 48, had a stellar NBA playing career, rising from an undrafted guard into a solid backup guard for 11 NBA teams.

Ollie built a strong reputation for mentoring young stars on his teams in the league, including LeBron James in Cleveland and Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook in Oklahoma City. Ollie turned down an NBA head-coaching job with the Brooklyn Nets early in his UConn tenure.

Well, the good news is that unlike when the last 5 star point guard who was coming our way got sidetracked (by the NCAA instead of this prospective pro league), this time around, we have not just a backup option in place but a more than functional true PG already in place, as well, potentially for up to 4 more seasons.

I mean, seriously, Bruce dropped the ball a little bit with having only one true point on the team last year, even if he never expected the idiotic interference from the NCAA. I feel much more comfortable with two experienced PGs coming in and the probability of bringing in one more ball handler, even if it's just a combo guard. If we'd had a true point all season, not even on Coop's level, we probably win at least 3 or 4 more games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akillshot said:

Surprised no one has mentioned that we might not pull Scoot now in light of this announcement yesterday

@akillshot Look up about 5 posts from yours. It has been mentioned but has nothing to do with the article you posted. The G League themselves are making a play for Scoot.

I had seen the G league comment but this article got my attention because of the starting age of 16. Thor might have went there if this had existed last year.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, akillshot said:

I had seen the G league comment but this article got my attention because of the starting age of 16. Thor might have went there if this had existed last year.

That caught my attention, as well. I don't know how the legalities might play for a minor to get paid for playing a sport, but I'm guessing if they've gotten this far with it, they probably expect that they're going to be able to do it. I dunno, though.

Nothing illegal about it. They’re starting at 16 to avoid child labor questions. All it means is, anyone playing in this league is automatically ineligible for NCAA basketball on any level. That leaves the G League or overseas ball as the only potential next steps so long as the NBA maintains the age restriction on draft eligibility. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW there is growing confidence again from AU insiders that Scoot will choose AU & soon & reclassify. One said the new Ignite team couldn't take him this year either. Not age but some other kind of issue with Ignite.

Pls Skut

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW there is growing confidence again from AU insiders that Scoot will choose AU & soon & reclassify. One said the new Ignite team couldn't take him this year either. Not age but some other kind of issue with Ignite.

47E32624-998C-4F7D-8334-B02FE64F98BC.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thanks for updating us E. But I guess it's better to get positive teases, than these negative ones we get too.

Such a roller coaster ride in recruiting....