2023 5* PG Scoot Henderson

gravejd

Years spent on this kid flushed down the drain because he wants to go make money right away (and possibly lower his draft stock, definitely get way less viewership, and miss out on the college experience). I get it but damn it blows for us this late too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Years spent on this kid flushed down the drain because he wants to go make money right away (and possibly lower his draft stock, definitely get way less viewership, and miss out on the college experience). I get it but damn it blows for us this late too. 

Yea, I think they are able to offer too much. They don’t need 500k for a feeder league. Honestly should probably be closer to minor league baseball pay.  Or maybe somewhere like $150k, equivalent to roughly the cost for 4 year colleges.  Scales are just too lopsided. 

I’m not saying NBA players deserve that, just the G league Ignite team. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yea, I think they are able to offer too much. They don’t need 500k for a feeder league. Honestly should probably be closer to minor league baseball pay.  Or maybe somewhere like $150k, equivalent to roughly the cost for 4 year colleges.  Scales are just too lopsided. 

I’m not saying NBA players deserve that, just the G league Ignite team. 

Or maybe they deserve what the market is willing to pay them for their services and not a penny less? 

Lotta weird takes and sour grapes popping up in this thread.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Or maybe they deserve what the market is willing to pay them for their services and not a penny less? 

Lotta weird takes and sour grapes popping up in this thread.

I don’t know why a league that’s not at all associated with college SHOULD have a cap lol

Someone like Scoot, who by all measures woulda been an elite recruit in this  class, the next class or whatever class he chose, is worth $500k lol. 

• Like 2

I, personally, think a 1 or 2 year path through college is a much much better plan for these young men than straight to gleague.

yes it will work out for some ... but I suspect there will be many more who it won’t work for.

this isn’t sour grapes.  I legit want what’s best for these guys.   I Think the fallback of a major university is better for these guys.  If they are good enough, the money will be there in the future - possibly more.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

I, personally, think a 1 or 2 year path through college is a much much better plan for these young men than straight to gleague.

yes it will work out for some ... but I suspect there will be many more who it won’t work for.

this isn’t sour grapes.  I legit want what’s best for these guys.   I Think the fallback of a major university is better for these guys.  If they are good enough, the money will be there in the future - possibly more.

I suppose some guys don’t want the hassle of school. If I could get $500k, I’m going to take it all day and many of the players come from poverty so that’s a huge plus for their loved. School will always be there and if they get injured in the G-League they at at least have that money in their pocket. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I suppose some guys don’t want the hassle of school. If I could get $500k, I’m going to take it all day and many of the players come from poverty so that’s a huge plus for their loved. School will always be there and if they get injured in the G-League they at at least have that money in their pocket. 

This. Had you offered me 500k out of high school I'd have eaten that up. Hell that's a head start for practically everyone. With 500k I could easily budget for a degree in the future if needed. 

Of course this also assumes I'd have been smart with that money. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well no s*** Sherlock. We are Auburn fans who are extremely pissed that a guy who we have led for for over 2 years is getting stolen right out from under us at the 11th hour. do you want us to be excited and elated for this to happen again like with Jalen green?

We can understand why he is going to the G league but still be upset about it. Of course we aren't going to fault a kid for turning down that kind of money. Don't have to like it one bit since he would of made AU a lot better.

Nice conversation for the board instead of just yourself

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well no s*** Sherlock. We are Auburn fans who are extremely pissed that a guy who we have led for for over 2 years is getting stolen right out from under us at the 11th hour. do you want us to be excited and elated for this to happen again like with Jalen green?

We can understand why he is going to the G league but still be upset about it. Of course we aren't going to fault a kid for turning down that kind of money. Don't have to like it one bit since he would of made AU a lot better.

Not asking anyone not to feel bummed. Hell, I’m bummed. But the strange self-serving arguments for why the kid doesn’t deserve what he has coming to him are not the most attractive shade on our auburn fan base. 

• Like 1

Fact is these kids should have the ability to come back to college if not drafted or even if they are not drafted In the 1st round IMO.  All the risk is put on an 18 year old kid vs multi-billion dollar franchises.  That ain't right.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nothing from his post had to do with faulting people for being upset 

13 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Fact is these kids should have the ability to come back to college if not drafted or even if they are not drafted In the 1st round IMO.  All the risk is put on an 18 year old kid vs multi-billion dollar franchises.  That ain't right.  

As if the universities are neutral here lol. 

39 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Not asking anyone not to feel bummed. Hell, I’m bummed. But the strange self-serving arguments for why the kid doesn’t deserve what he has coming to him are not the most attractive shade on our auburn fan base. 

Maybe I haven’t seen all of the post but I don’t think folks are being self serving.  I  think it’s in the majority of these kids best interest to go to college a year or 2 before pros.

29 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Absolutely.  This is one thing the ncaa can do.  Let kids have an agent go through draft and come back to school if they don’t like it.  In a way that would be Similar to baseball but with a twist.  Give these kids more options.

• Like 1

• Sad 1

Yes my post started out of frustration, but I still don't think any of them deserve 500k fresh out of high school. Your right that there is nothing in place to dictate a cap, nor should there be. I am of the opinion the market is too high for essentially an entry level position in professional basketball and personally think the scale should be lowered.  If they got signed to an actual club and placed in their club specific G League team, then that organization has taken ownership.  I am good with NBA guys making dough because they have worked their way to the elite, but just not this G League specific team of rookies. Again just my opinion. Good discussion though. 

500K maybe instant riches, and I'm sure they need every penny to get their families out of debt. Hell, I'd take it. But they're playing in obscurity. They get zip in terms of mass media coverage. No one sees them play. Nothing compared to the kind of TV coverage that a Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Jalen Suggs, or even a Davion Mitchell got this year. They are all household names. That kind of exposure is crucial for high dollar endorsement potential. Otherwise, if you're a G League guy, those $$$ won't be available until after you're an established NBA All Star.

29 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yes my post started out of frustration, but I still don't think any of them deserve 500k fresh out of high school. Your right that there is nothing in place to dictate a cap, nor should there be. I am of the opinion the market is too high for essentially an entry level position in professional basketball and personally think the scale should be lowered.  If they got signed to an actual club and placed in their club specific G League team, then that organization has taken ownership.  I am good with NBA guys making dough because they have worked their way to the elite, but just not this G League specific team of rookies. Again just my opinion. Good discussion though. 

If professional sports ratings don't stop tanking, sooner or later, there WILL be downward financial pressure. Has to be. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

The minimum salary for an NBA player this season was just under 900k. Next year that goes up to around 925k. If Scoot were eligible to be drafted, he almost definitely would be, and would be making that or more. 

The only reason talented kids don’t make that right out of high school is because of the NBA’s collusive age restrictions. 

If Scoota makes 500k next year, it will be because his labor is worth that (or more) to his employer. The NBA isn’t in the business of giving out handouts. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

G League is exactly what I think should happen in football.  Give talented kids who don’t want to attend school another path.  If it downgrades the talent level of college sports, so be it...I only root for the emblem on the uniform.

Now I do wish the GLeague and NCAA would work cooperatively to align signing periods so that coaches aren’t caught in a bind...don’t know enough about the situation to know if that’s feasible tho.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

The minimum salary for an NBA player this season was just under 900k. Next year that goes up to around 925k. If Scoot were eligible to be drafted, he almost definitely would be, and would be making that or more. 

The only reason talented kids don’t make that right out of high school is because of the NBA’s collusive age restrictions. 

If Scoota makes 500k next year, it will be because his labor is worth that (or more) to his employer. The NBA isn’t in the business of giving out handouts. 

Thank you for the facts in your response. It paints the picture a little better.  The amount is about half the min NBA salary, so it's definitely a step down in that regard.  While I still have a hard time seeing why they would need to be paid that much without having a year of college, which also brings a level of maturity to be able to handle that amount of money, 500k is also on the higher end of the numbers being offered.

If I was in charge, I would want the starting amount lower for this startup team, and I'm good with the college kids starting at the NBA min or better if they get signed. But from a business perspective, I'm thinking they would still be making a heck of a lot more money than what they would have now in college. And not chump change. Still a couple hundred Thousand. I didn't take business classes in college though, so who am I to say?

Regardless, can't blame the kids to take what's offered.  I mean who wouldn't lol?!. 

Sorry for the tangent derail. 

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Now I do wish the GLeague and NCAA would work cooperatively to align signing periods so that coaches aren’t caught in a bind...don’t know enough about the situation to know if that’s feasible tho.

I like this thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think it would better for all if it was like it used to be, just let guys go straight to the nba after highschool.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1