Best/most fun AU game you have seen live

gr82b4au

Favorite is still the '72 Iron Bowl, 17-16, Punt Bama Punt.

Second would be the 1983 28-21 win over Florida. It was said that there were over 30 future NFL players on the field that day. Helluva game!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

My favorite all-time is 1989 , no doubt. But a close second is the 1994 Florida game, because my young son absolutely loved that game. I lost him in the crowd rolling the trees after and was in total panic for a couple of minutes. Pure chaos at the time. A friend of mine was frantically helping me look when his wife started laughing and said 'look up there!' He was on the Auburn University sign (the cheerleaders put him up there) leading Track em Tigers. Doesn't get much better than that.

Speaking of lost a deputy in a portal at JHS was consoling an obviously lost child one game day and the deputy burst into laughter. I asked the deputy what was so funny. He said when the kid was asked to describe his Dad the reply was “ he’s wearing a blue Auburn hat and his shirt is orange.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Second would be the 1983 28-21 win over Florida. It was said that there were over 30 future NFL players on the field that day. Helluva game!

Several 83 games were great. Another favorite would have to be 93 Florida. Per the Florida 83 game pretty sure I read that between the two rosters 41 players went on to play NFL. Know coach Dye claimed it to be the most college talent ever assembled on a field.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Huh....got me. I must be conflating two plays. I'll have to scan back through that game.

In the 2002 IB, Campbell faked a handoff, hid the ball behind his leg and threw a long pass to Anthony Mix. Maybe that one?

2 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

then Casey Weldon got flipped head over teakettle for about a 20 yard loss on a 4th down with under 2:00 to go.  That set us up on their side of the field, and we got close enough for Jim Von Wyl to sneak the GW FG in to beat them 20-17.  Thank goodness the uprights had not yet been moved in (NCAA narrowed the width of the goalposts effective in 1991), or that kick would have been no good.

I still maintain the Casey Weldon sack was the GOAT defensive play in AU history. And this coming from someone who attended the 94 LSU game. 94 LSU was an avalanche in that once Ken Alvis kicked the mountain of snow, it was all over for them. Just no one knew it yet.

The Casey Weldon sack came out of nowhere. The manner in which he was sacked by adding an extra 10 yards stumbling backwards made JH go bonkers. We watched it at Chi-Chi’s on the old tube big screen. Place was packed. Most folks there were not AU fans, but everyone was glued to the game and when Weldon went down, the place went apesh!t similar to the dozens of Kick Six videos. Even my buddy, who wasn’t a football fan, looked at me wide-eyed and said “DAMN that was f**king incredible!”

And yes, the Von Wyl kick inched over the then-widened upright. On TV, it looked no good. Thank goodness for those old uprights. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

lots, but 1 sticks in my mind.  1994 LSu game---the interception game.  (leaving IB aside; however, i was NOT in stadium for kick 6)

I was there with ya. Miserably humid game, but unbelievable result.

My brothers and I traveled to Knoxville for the AU/TENN game in 2004.  That is the most complete and dominating performance I had ever seen before…..or after for that matter. What a day that was.  Sir Charles was right that day when he predicted that Tennessee was on the tracks and the train was coming.

Edited by Hamma
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Same here.  I would throw in the 69 AU-FL , too.  My first AU game.

• Like 2

Random game that I really enjoyed. Went to AU @ LSU back in 1997. Dameyune Craig threw for 300+. Cecil the diesel Collins for Lsu ran for 240. AU came back to win in the last 30 seconds. We were in the AU section and had a blast. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Its got be be the ‘72 Iron Bowl for me.  The Prayer, the ‘72 and ‘74 Tennessee games are also right up there for games I attended.  I was not there for the Kick 6 but it has to be the greatest Auburn win ever due to the high stakes involved.  

• Like 1

An obscure one but the 2013 tamu game. Manzel (who got banged up that game) is  a head case but he was also a pure weapon at that time.  Was on a Dallas trip and decided last min to drive down with a buddy. Amazing college atmosphere. Tamu was #6 in the country and the AU win put the country on notice. You could see glimpses of the offense to come.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/23/2023 at 6:02 PM, aubiefifty said:

the first time tennessee finally got the balls to play auburn at auburn. i forget what year but we stomped the hell right out of them.........

1974. Whipped that ass 21-0. Late in the 4th, Auburn fans were yelling down at Coach Jordan to punt on 1st down. As Tennessee had done just that the year before in Knoxville. They also happened to be win 21-0. Coach Jordan, being the Gentleman he was, did not. They also happened to be win 21-0

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

83 Iron Bowl in decrepit Legion Field. We won 23-20.  Bo ran for about 250 yards with lightning and tornadoes in the area.  Stadium full of people on aluminum bleachers but no one was going to call off the Iron Bowl. 😅

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

1994 LSU game - the humid hot weather plus no offense at all yet loved watching us intercept every pass and score lol

1994 UGA game - felt pointless cause of the tie

1996 LSU game - the fire

1997 Iron Bowl - so many reasons. great win.

'89 vs bamr.

'83 game at Georgia. UGA was coming off 3 years of Herschel Walker. Georgia was undefeated at the time and had not lost at home in 4 years. Auburn won 13-7 and served notice to the college football world they were now a force to be reckoned with. Turned out to be only game uga lost that year.

• Like 1

1989 Bama game

1994 LSu game---the interception game.  I was dating an LSU grad and she wasn't very happy about the outcome. 

1993 Florida game.  After that game I told my brother that AU  would go undefeated

On 6/24/2023 at 1:56 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

Miserably humid game

Yes it was miserably humid (94 LSU). We headed to the Smokies after that 4.5-hour game (due to so many players cramping during the game) and somewhere between Auburn and Atlanta, the heavens unfolded on us just after sunset. Some of the most terrifying heavy rain I’ve ever driven through. It was that milky out that day. Chris Shelling, Brian Robinson and others had to get IVs after the game. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:50 PM, Leftfield said:

I made it to the Arkansas game that year with my brother. If you recall, Arkansas really had our number around that time. I remember on the first drive we called a fake handoff where Campbell hid the ball behind his leg, stood there for what seemed forever, then the field opened up and Campbell hit Aromashodu for a long TD. It was like they decided to immediately tell Arky "this isn't going to go the way you think it is." 

That line was so good that Campbell really didn't need to hide the ball.

Pretty sure that was a double reverse back to Campbell then back to Aromoshudu.  I am almost positive.  

On 6/24/2023 at 7:45 PM, Aucanton said:

Same here.  I would throw in the 69 AU-FL , too.  My first AU game.

My first AU game also.

15 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

83 Iron Bowl in decrepit Legion Field. We won 23-20.  Bo ran for about 250 yards with lightning and tornadoes in the area.  Stadium full of people on aluminum bleachers but no one was going to call off the Iron Bowl. 😅

I was there and it was scary. Also spent the next week in bed with the flu… but it was worth it. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I was there…upper deck. I was young and dumb and didn’t realize the potential peril I was in. First Iron Bowl. Didn’t care.😆