2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

Htpe for McLeod is building

• One source described McLeod as "the guy that's going off" and "a beast" off the edge.
  • : “Jalen McLeod is probably the best player on the team.
  • The word “unblockable” has been mentioned by more than one person
  • “quick twitch” ability to get up the field in a hurry. He’s someone that the coaches believe could be an every down player if needed,
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So, you’re saying last year we had zero legit QBs, and this year we have 4!😁

That, or our legit but green QB got a whopping 2 snaps all season.

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

That, or our legit but green QB got a whopping 2 snaps all season.

My guess is that we have two legit QB's ( 2 snaps last season or not), one prospect in learning phase (Brown) and one future outstanding slot receiver/ jet sweep guy.(Robbie)

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

• One source described McLeod as "the guy that's going off" and "a beast" off the edge.
  • “quick twitch” ability to get up the field in a hurry. He’s someone that the coaches believe could be an every down player if needed,

I know you are just passing on what you have read/heard but when I see this kind of stuff my initial reaction is that this guy should have 3 sacks every game and at least 10 tackles every game and then they don't.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I know you are just passing on what you have read/heard but when I see this kind of stuff my initial reaction is that this guy should have 3 sacks every game and at least 10 tackles every game and then they don't.

3 might be high.

He had 2 sacks, forced fumble, couple more TFL vs A&M last year.  That should be a good average

• Like 1

Jarquez Hunter returns to Auburn practice on fifth day of camp

The Tigers' starting running back had missed the first four days of practice

Nathan King41 mins

After missing the first four days of preseason camp, Auburn starting running back Jarquez Hunter practiced with the team Tuesday morning. At least at the moment, the junior appears to be available and back in the mix moving forward in camp following an offseason investigation in possible misconduct by the junior.

Hunter took first-team reps at the start of practice.

Hugh Freeze was asked before the team's first practice whether Hunter would be available, and declined to comment on the nature of Hunter's situation, as has been the case throughout the offseason: "Matters related to team rules and procedures, they're handled internally, and it will not be discussed publicly."

Hunter was involved in a university investigation that began in May, after Hunterwas the target of social media allegations from a now-suspended Twitter account, which posted explicit videos and claimed they were recorded and shared without consent of at least one of the participants.

On May 18, a statement from Auburn University was provided to Auburn Undercover that said at least one member of the Auburn football program has been suspended for violation of team rules, though Hunter was never named specifically in any statement.

A former 3-star recruit from Mississippi, Hunter seems primed to take over for Tank Bigsby after rushing for 1,261 yards and 10 touchdowns as a backup over the past two years. Auburn's running back room also includes USF transfer Brian Battie, sophomore Damari Alston and 4-star freshman Jeremiah Cobb.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

the bright side is they are usually double teamed which leaves another player open.

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

He’s gonna have to be that guy because pass rush has many concerned.

We haven't had an OL that could generate push since 2017

• Like 1

Auburn's 'linebacker driven defense' and what it means

Auburn's linebackers are a much deeper group heading into the 2023 season.

JASON CALDWELL

AUBURN, Alabama—When Auburn defensive coordinator talks about what his defense should be like, it all starts with the linebackers. The heart and soul of any unit because what’s required of the group, linebackers hold the key to success because of what they do behind the scenes that may go unnoticed by the average fan.

As the Tigers prepare for the first scrimmage of the preseason this coming Saturday, Roberts said he’s seen some improvements from his group as they get ready for their first real test.

“I kind of emphasized with them last night about just doing a much better job of communicating,” Roberts said. “They all did that. That’s great. But I think the things right there that we’ve got to do as a whole is making sure our communication’s good, putting the rest of the other 11 at ease, alignment, assignment, those type of things, and then you really want to see those guys elevate. “This is a linebacker-driven defense. We’re going to give them a lot of situations where they’re one-on-one, they’re going to be the free hitter at the point of attack, and they’re going to have to answer the bell and be productive.”

One of the most experienced linebackers on the Auburn roster, Wesley Steiner said when he hears the team ‘linebacker driven’ it immediately lets him know what’s expected of the group in the new scheme.

“Linebackers are the quarterbacks of the defense, everyone knows that,” Steiner said. “He’s expecting the linebacker group to always make the correct calls, make sure everyone is lined up, always make sure the communication is echoed throughout the field. When he says ‘linebacker driven,’ he means taking charge and making sure the front is set, communicating with the back end, and making sure they are the centerpiece of the defense.”

Steiner is one of a group of small holdovers from last year’s roster along with Cam Riley, Eugene Asante and Robert Woodyard. They have been joined by transfers Austin Keys and Larry Nixon to give Auburn a solid core group heading into the 2023 season. Now it’s time for the next step, putting the ball down and going 11-on-11. That takes place this Saturday morning and Steiner said it’s time to let it go.

“I think I’m looking for guys on defense to focus on doing their job the best they can and not losing their cool when situations don’t go our way,” he said. “A key for any defense is they don’t lose their cool and if they do, they regain it really quickly. I’m expecting the defense to respond well to adverse situations. I’m expecting us to play hard and do our jobs, and I’m expecting us to tackle. If we’re not good at tackling we’re going to go back to tackling.”

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

That Tate Johnson quote is kind of weird. Were these guys not always thinking with that mindset? His quote implies that they weren’t trying to get the short yardage gains no matter what.

• Like 1

Observations: What we saw and heard at the fifth practice of Auburn fall camp

Jarquez Hunter is back at practice, and the Tigers did a good amount of mixing and matching on both sides of the ball Tuesday.

Justin Ferguson

RB Jarquez Hunter (Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics)

After not being on the field during the first two open viewing windows of Auburn football fall camp — last Thursday and Friday — Jarquez Hunter was practicing Tuesday morning.

The projected starting Auburn running back was involved in social media allegations and a university investigation back in May, and head coach Hugh Freeze declined to comment on his status multiple times in the summer. 

But Hunter appears to be back in the fold for the Tigers, who open their 2023 season in less than a month. 

Hunter lined up as a first-team running back next to returning starting quarterback Robby Ashford during a 11-man offensive drill in the indoor facility Tuesday.

Hunter’s return was a major highlight in what was a loaded fifth day of practice for the Tigers. Media members were allowed to watch around 40 minutes, which included several waves of offense, extended special teams work and some individual unit drills. Here’s what we saw and heard at the facility.

QB Robby Ashford and OL Jeremiah Wright (Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics)

Plenty of cross-training and different looks on offense

As we’ve seen in the first couple of viewing windows, the offense ran through a series of plays against air in a full, 11-man look Tuesday. 

This time was even more notable than the first two for the amount of rotation going on at certain positions — including some offensive linemen lining up at multiple spots — and a couple of major tweaks in the order.

Freeze said he wanted to start tightening reps at quarterback after the first five practices. Tuesday marked practice No. 5, so it was interesting to see Ashford lining up with the starters for the first time in fall camp, followed by Payton Thorne, Holden Geriner and Hank Brown.

We were able to see five different rounds of this drill, and several players took the field on multiple occasions. Here’s how it all broke down:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Everytime I see this I think ... Our O-line must suck

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That Tate Johnson quote is kind of weird. Were these guys not always thinking with that mindset? His quote implies that they weren’t trying to get the short yardage gains no matter what.

I heard one media guy say that the O under Harsin was really hard to grasp for the players. He said that HF had simplified the O and that the whole unit was playing fast and not having to think as much. And he said ' especially the O line '. It sounds reasonable and could be the answer to your question. I hope he's right.

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

This is huge for us.   Outside of the OL, pass rush, or lack thereof, has been our weakest link for the past 3-4 years.  Late in the game, the other team has no timeouts, and all we need is one sack to seal the deal -- and we just haven't had that dude.   Would you say Marlon was the last one that came close to being that guy?   I'm thinking Texas AM where Johnny had run around all game long.   Dee Ford was completely gassed.   Yet, I think he had not 1 but 2 sacks on that final drive.   We need one of those dudes.   If McLeod is that kind of player, this year will be really fun. 

• Like 3

Teammates react to Jarquez Hunter's reinstatement at Auburn practice

"Just the energy he brings, the confidence he brings to the team, that was just great to have him back out there with us."

85 mins

The biggest offseason question mark for Auburn has seemingly been resolved.

Following a murky offseason investigation in possible misconduct, Auburn starting running back Jarquez Hunter practiced for the first time this preseason Tuesday morning, suiting up with his teammates after missing the first four days of camp.

While the nature of Hunter’s absence has been a subject avoided by Hugh Freeze and Auburn’s football program — considering it was a university issue handled by the school — the Tigers now hope they can put it behind them as they continue to charge forward to the 2023 season opener Sept. 2 against UMass.

Though Auburn has other talent and experience in its backfield, the top dog in the room is Hunter, who’s improved in each of his two seasons with the program and is now looking to take over for Tank Bigsby as the starter. And his teammates said his impact on the offense was felt immediately upon his return.

“I mean, anyone wants Jarquez back there,” offensive guard Tate Johnson said Tuesday. “Jarquez is just phenomenal, and it's awesome to have him back. Today he was making plays and we went live the last period and man, it was hard for those guys to tackle him.”

Hunter immediately slotted back in with the first-team offense in Tuesday morning’s practice. During a break in the action, sophomore tailback Damari Alstonapproached Hunter with a big smile on his face: “We’re back, baby.”

“Super excited to have him back,” cornerback D.J. James said. “I'm so happy to see my guy. Just the energy he brings, the confidence he brings to the team, that was just great to have him back out there with us. I'm very excited for him.”

Though he’s back on the practice field, whether Hunter will serve any sort of suspension once Auburn starts the season is something Freeze is likely to address with reporters after Saturday morning’s scrimmage.

In May, Hunter was the target of social media allegations from a now-suspended Twitter account, which posted explicit videos and claimed they were recorded and shared without consent of at least one of the participants. That led to a university investigation, the nature of which Freeze wasn’t able to comment on in the offseason. On May 18, a statement from Auburn University was provided to Auburn Undercover that said at least one member of the Auburn football program has been suspended for violation of team rules, though Hunter was never named specifically in any statement. Freeze said of the situation before Auburn’s first day of practice last Thursday: “Matters related to team rules and procedures, they're handled internally, and it will not be discussed publicly."

“He’s somebody that I trust,” receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. said. "He brings a different element to the game that we all enjoy.”

After a freshman campaign in which he established himself as the Tigers’ No. 2 ball-carrier, Hunter had more yards (668), carries (104) and touchdowns (seven) in 2022. As Auburn hopes its offensive line production will be significantly improved this season, with 10 newcomers in the room, Hunter will likely be looked to as the driving force of an offense that will need a strong running game to support possibly a new starting quarterback. 

“I think any team can appreciate having a good player back on the team,” linebacker Wesley Steiner said. “... It’s good to have another good player back on the field.”

Alston and USF transfer Brian Battie saw plenty of first-team reps in Hunter’s absence, and 4-star freshman Jeremiah Cobb has been impressive across the first few practices, too. Auburn offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery said this week that the room was taking more of a “by committee” approach — though that was before Hunter’s return to the practice field Tuesday. 

“All those guys are contributing,” Montgomery said. “And I feel good about where they're headed right now.”

• Like 1

The receiver room looks like it might be a strength. So far out of fall camp, we know this..

QB’s - Improved

RB’s - At least 2 are ready for big seasons

WR - Deep rotation of guys that are doing really well. 

OL- Best Unit since 2017

TE - Rivaldo > JSS , rest of the room are super seniors

DL - Looks to be improved over last year

LB - Way more depth.

Edge - At least a wash, but I think it may be improved as far as consistent pass rush goes

Secondary - STACKED!

special Teams - Stacked!!

Can someone explain to me how this isn’t an 8-9 win team that can play with anyone in the SEC West? Am I missing something? The only downside I see is the team chemistry may be off for a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Can someone explain to me how this isn’t an 8-9 win team that can play with anyone in the SEC West? Am I missing something? The only downside I see is the team chemistry may be off for a bit.

Chemistry is easier to accomplish if the team is having fun. Bonds develop quickly with happiness and without malcontents.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The receiver room looks like it might be a strength. So far out of fall camp, we know this..

QB’s - Improved

OL- Best Unit since 2017

LB - Way more depth.

Edge - At least a wash, but I think it may be improved as far as consistent pass rush goes

Secondary - STACKED!

Well. We play in the SEC west. One of our eastern teams is uga , the preseason #1. No matter how improved we are , the teams we play may be just as improved. I hope we win every game we play. But as the man says, someone has to lose. I want to see every opponent leave the field thinking that this was the most physical game they've played. The future actually will be bright if that happens. 

And it will be OK with me if we win the Natty this year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

QB’s - Improved

OL- Best Unit since 2017

LB - Way more depth.

Secondary - STACKED!

There’s still just a lot of uncertainty at QB and OL. Both appear to be improving, but how much? Both positions were awful last year. If we can’t block or throw reliably, it’s hard to win games.
My projection is still 8-9 because I think a few teams are getting too much praise (especially TAMU) and aren’t going to be as good this year. But a lot of this season really stems on how much those position groups have improved from last year. If they’ve really improved, Georgia is the only game I don’t think we’d stand a chance in. If the improvement is minuscule, I think we could lose 5-6.

• Like 1