OL, QB, LB, DL, DE, and WR

gr82b4au

So these were the areas of concern after last season. Not that big of a deal hahahaha OH MY… what a cluster we were. 

Looking at them now, before we have played a game, is there any area that you think is still going to be a problem? 

The one area that is a question to me this season is linebacker. This defense is predicated on aggressive linebackers making plays. Can Keys and Nixon (and maybe Asante) lead the defense?

DL still has me worried.  Gonna cause issues at LB. I think EDGE is lacking a lot when McLeod is off the field. 

OL pieces - New faces and new offense. If it all comes together it could be impressive. Growing pains probably the biggest threat here.

Of the 6 listed, DL worries me the most. Not saying they can't do it but they're unproven.  I think the LBs will be the surprise of the D.

WR has been significantly upgraded.

Defensive line for sure, but my man crush will coach them up. I saw what he had Liberty doing last year. Depth was an issue that hurt them last year however. We stay relatively healthy I think we will see just the right production from that group. 

• Like 1

The trenches are worrisome, that's where games are won and lost.  A full season of SEC competition wears bodies down, then depth becomes important.  

20 hours ago, DAG said:

Defensive line for sure, but my man crush will coach them up. I saw what he had Liberty doing last year. Depth was an issue that hurt them last year however. We stay relatively healthy I think we will see just the right production from that group. 

I think whether we go 6-6 or 9-3 all hinges om the DL. I just don't know if we have the depth or the star pieces on the DL. 

I think LB will be MUCH imrpved with the transfers as well as guys already here. Backend is going to be nasty and hopefully will help our DL 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, bigbird said:

Of the 6 listed, DL worries me the most. Not saying they can't do it but they're unproven.  I think the LBs will be the surprise of the D.

WR has been significantly upgraded.

Again, this may be the O&B glasses talking, but I think the added depth is going to make a big difference on the DL.    Harris and Jones were at least pretty good when fresh last year.   With an extra year and depth behind them, I’m expecting them to be good.   Add in Rogers, Faulk, and others for depth and I’m higher on the DL than most others.  🤷‍♂️.   I do question the Jack position.   McLeod checks a lot of boxes, and I think McAllister is serviceable as a backup, but it seems like we’re a step or two down from where we were last year with Hall and Leota.  

And yeah, WR is worlds better than last year!!!!

• Like 1

IMO we now have an SEC caliber WR pool but the other areas upgraded from Mountain West to ACC level. QB might be a pleasant surprise.

2024 is our season, boys & girls.

Everything you hear about the Dline is how much better they look physically.  Who knows till they get out there.  Doesn’t Roberts run more of a 3-4?  

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Everything you hear about the Dline is how much better they look physically.  Who knows till they get out there.  Doesn’t Roberts run more of a 3-4?  

Technically yes. But nearly every defensive coordinator is hybrid now. Too many teams are running a lot of spread formation. I’d imagine our “standard” package won’t differ that much from what we’ve seen in the past… a 4-2-5 ish look with one of the four acting as a hybrid lb/de edge player.

35 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

More of a 4-2-5

• Like 1

D-line is a bit concerning and while we will have great improvement on the o-line, they still are all moving up a level to SEC talent.  I will be cautiously optimistic there.  Freeze has always seemed to fit his offense around his talent, unlike Gus.  He is good at hiding/covering weaknesses when it comes to game planning.