Debate

LPTiger

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

He tried to read the room and decided to out-trump trump. Bad read.  I could be wrong but Nikki feels, in the long term , the biggest challenger for the gop non trumpers. She’s made some mistakes but still feels like the grownup in the day care with formidable qualifications. She may be the most moderate so we’ll see how that plays.

I agree that she’s the most likely to emerge. She needs to be careful making remarks like the one about if you want a talker get a man, a doer hire a woman. It may have played well once, but the Republican base will get tired of it pretty quickly.

15 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I agree about Halley.  The challenge is the trump and biden adventures are sucking up all the media cycles. Someone today went after her on “the view” and the media picked it up. Perfect. She needs to build a buzz. Lots of time until Iowa.

Vivek stepped in it yesterday tweeting out that Nikki was lying about him and he referred to her by her first name instead of her middle name Nikki.   It came off as Indian-shaming which is odd for him to be doing.   It also makes me think, like someone else said earlier, that he is trying to be just like Trump -- Pocahontas....   To her credit, Nikki brushed it off and said she wasn't into childish games.   That too made Vivek look childish.

14 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Vivek stepped in it yesterday tweeting out that Nikki was lying about him and he referred to her by her first name instead of her middle name Nikki.   It came off as Indian-shaming which is odd for him to be doing.   It also makes me think, like someone else said earlier, that he is trying to be just like Trump -- Pocahontas....   To her credit, Nikki brushed it off and said she wasn't into childish games.   That too made Vivek look childish.

Again, he did a bad read. Trump already owns the raw meat portion of the party. Imo the more she’s attacked, the more she looks like the grown up, and more relevant she becomes. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I agree that she’s the most likely to emerge. She needs to be careful making remarks like the one about if you want a talker get a man, a doer hire a woman. It may have played well once, but the Republican base will get tired of it pretty quickly.

I agree. Trying to win the Republican nomination with a party this fractured, with trump preowning 40% in loyal zealots, with this many candidates, in a time when being more moderate is a liability, and as a ethnic woman (pros and cons) is an epic word problem. If she somehow pulled it off it’d be one of the greatest political chess victories  in memory.  Ps ironically she probably is the greatest threat to Biden in the general 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I agree. Trying to win the Republican nomination with a party this fractured, with trump preowning 40% in loyal zealots, with this many candidates, in a time when being more moderate is a liability, and as a ethnic woman (pros and cons) is an epic word problem. If she somehow pulled it off it’d be one of the greatest political chess victories  in memory.  Ps ironically she probably is the greatest threat to Biden in the general 

Hopefully 3 or 4 of them will not qualify for the next debate.   I wish the RNC would raise the qualifying criteria even more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Hopefully 3 or 4 of them will not qualify for the next debate.   I wish the RNC would raise the qualifying criteria even more.

The biggest political capital you can have is “POM” - the perception of momentum. Drives donations and media coverage. Imo she or desantis (who had it then lost it) have the greatest chance. Besides his politics, the greatest issues desantis has is simply likability and charisma. May be silly but damn does it matter - especially vs trump

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The biggest political capital you can have is “POM” - the perception of momentum. Drives donations and media coverage. Imo she or desantis (who had it then lost it) have the greatest chance. Besides his politics, the greatest issues desantis has is simply likability and charisma. May be silly but damn does it matter - especially vs trump

DeSantis and charisma -- I was shocked to learn this week that he played 4 years of baseball at Yale, hit for over .300 in his career and was voted a team captain.   He just doesn't give off any "it" vibe to me.   When he says stuff that sounds good he has a look in his eyes of "I'm just gonna throw this out there and see what kind of reaction I get" instead of "I am confident in who I am and what I believe and these folks are going to love me."

Just now, LPTiger said:

DeSantis and charisma -- I was shocked to learn this week that he played 4 years of baseball at Yale, hit for over .300 in his career and was voted a team captain.   He just doesn't give off any "it" vibe to me.   When he says stuff that sounds good he has a look in his eyes of "I'm just gonna throw this out there and see what kind of reaction I get" instead of "I am confident in who I am and what I believe and these folks are going to love me."

Totally agree. Plus he was a JAG. Desantis on paper is jfk formidable. Damn he’s impressive. The problem is he’s not jfk in the ways that matter most in national politics. He just seems bland and grumpy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Totally agree. Plus he was a JAG. Desantis on paper is jfk formidable. Damn he’s impressive. The problem is he’s not jfk in the ways that matter most in national politics. He just seems bland and grumpy.

And Yale and Harvard.   JAG for Seals.    And Governor of Florida.    You would think the guy could command any room.

9 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Downright angry.

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

And Yale and Harvard.   JAG for Seals.    And Governor of Florida.    You would think the guy could command any room.

Totally agree. Trump already completely owns the “country is going straight to hell”/angry, crazy vote.  Imo What’s available even with conservatives is the positive message vote (which Desantis’s personality can’t do). Friggin inspire people. It works if you have the charisma to pull it off (ie Obama and Reagan). I think that’s where Nikki must focus. She’s likable.

image.thumb.jpeg.a26acc7a6d946fd1bf0f2fd65baa714a.jpeg

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

He can command any room as long there is no 7th grade bully mentality is in the same room.  Right now social media is full of Trump supporters throwing shade on DeSantis, even Trump posted on Truth Social that he is dropping out.

Roomer has it; the man is ridiculous and gets away with it.

Look how DeSantis handles the approaching hurricane as compared to Trump’s handling of Covid last year for the difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

He can command any room as long there is no 7th grade bully mentality is in the same room.  Right now social media is full of Trump supporters throwing shade on DeSantis, even Trump posted on Truth Social that he is dropping out.

Roomer has it; the man is ridiculous and gets away with it.

Look how DeSantis handles the approaching hurricane as compared to Trump’s handling of Covid last year for the difference.

50 words, 6 commas, 1 period.    "Roomer are" "is a shambles".    This may be Trump's first post that wasn't about him.