Football Experience

Guest Tigrinum Major

What is your level of football playing experience?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What is your level of football playing experience?

• Never played any football
    • Never played any org. football, but have a mean touch game
    • Played organized football at jr. high or below
    • Played high school football
    • Played small college football (Div 1-AA or below)
    • Walked on at a D-1 school
    • Played at a D-1 school
    • I was an All-American!

Guest Tigrinum Major

Nothing more than my own morbid curiousity. Just like I don't believe you had to attend Auburn to be an Auburn fan, I think you can have a working knowledge of the game without having ever played it.

I was just curious as to everyone's level of experience.

I was a three year starter in high school at DE/OLB and two year starter on the OL. I was small, but I was slow.

OK...let me BORE you with tales of the good old days...never went past freshman football in HS...BUT, when I was about 9 (1958), we won the Championship of Mobile in the City Parks league. At the banquet, I got a trophy and a hand shake from the mayor...and a ticket to the Senior Bowl. Not too shabby, eh? :)

:au::homer:

I played in HS and had the good sense to know I didn't have the speed and skills, height & weight to play college ball. (but I do have the weight now) :(

I also played on an inter service FB team while in the military.

OK...let me BORE you with tales of the good old days...never went past freshman football in HS...BUT, when I was about 9 (1958), we won the Championship of Mobile in the City Parks league. At the banquet, I got a trophy and a hand shake from the mayor...and a ticket to the Senior Bowl. Not too shabby, eh?  :)

:au:   :homer:

175924[/snapback]

That was before it was normal for the mayor of Mobile to spend time at a Federal resort wasn't it. <_<

I lived in Mobile for years and the City Parks League was very competitive and some great FB players come out of the league. :thumbsup:

Played one year at Jeff Davis before I realized the non-contact sport of baseball was more my thing. :D

JD was awesome my sophomore year. There were guys on that team like Charlie Trotman(QB@AU), Thomas Brown(RB@Arkansas), Mike Livings(WR Southern Miss), Jamie Watson(Center@Southern Miss), James Brown(OG@UGA), Richard Harris(MLB@Alabama State), Mike Brock(OT@UA) to name a few. Wiped out every team we played the whole year then got popped by West End in Legion Field the first round of the playoffs in a monsoon. Oh well.

Unfortunately, my scrawny butt played tackling dummy for a year, therefore, I use the term "We" very loosely. :big: .

I was a 2 year starter at LB/NG depending on the defensive set we were in.

1 year starter at C (played as many snaps as the starter the year before)

Was invited to walk on at Troy (turned it down)

Was offered a partial scholly to a couple of DII schools but turned them down.

I was invited to walk on in baseball at AU as well. So I walked on. A month later...I walked off. Unfortunately, for a pitcher, that walking thing is not good. :big:

I played 6 yrs(Jr High through HS)- DB -WR-RB-LB.

I had better than average spped when I was a young THIN man. :D

Our JR High team had a 3 year undefeated run in the early 70s.(I was there during two of those years.)

My 13 year old daughter wants to know why they won't let girls play football; she said they should let them try if they want, and they would probably be better than some of the boys!!

Glory days! 2-yr starter on the line. Played OT my jr year then switched to DT my sr year & made the All Conference team ( :cheer: ) I wasn't all that big or fast but I made up for it by being quick off the line & playing smart. Had glorious daydreams about playing college ball until I had an epiphany on one very specific play in my jr year when I went up against a DT that outweighed me by 90 lbs (I was 185, he was 275.) I had to downblock on the DT because the OG was pulling outside on a toss sweep. Anyways, I attempt the downblock and this guy comes across the line like a freight train and hits me so hard it knocks my helmet off. Let me tell you -- there is nothing in this world that focuses your powers of reasoning like being helmetless in the middle of an on-going play. Right then & there I decided my tackle football playing career would not go beyond my HS graduation. :thumbsup:

My 13 year old daughter wants to know why they won't let girls play football; she said they should let them try if they want, and they would probably be better than some of the boys!!

175948[/snapback]

I really wish the would...I think I could've been pretty good at it. I'm mean as a snake, love the game, and am extremely competitive!!! Oh well, at least I can live through my brother!!!

175948[/snapback]

I'm mean as a snake, love the game, and am extremely competitive!!!

175962[/snapback]

Uhhhhhh you aren't my ex wife are you? :(:no::no::no:

175948[/snapback]

I really wish the would...I think I could've been pretty good at it. I'm mean as a snake, love the game, and am extremely competitive!!! Oh well, at least I can live through my brother!!!

175962[/snapback]

No you don't...women don't belong in the game of football, especially with men. People don't realize how physical of a game football is unless you have put on the pads and taken or given a hit. I don't think a woman should even be allowed to kick much less play a "real" position...

OK...all you equal rights people fire away!!!

175948[/snapback]

She can play River City Youth Football here in Decatur, AL

River City Youth Football.

175948[/snapback]

175962[/snapback]

No you don't...women don't belong in the game of football, especially with men. People don't realize how physical of a game football is unless you have put on the pads and taken or given a hit. I don't think a woman should even be allowed to kick much less play a "real" position...

OK...all you equal rights people fire away!!!

175970[/snapback]

At the jr. high level there may not be that big of a strength difference with some of the girls, so at 13 it may not be a problem. BUT. Once you get to high school, the difference in strength becomes very noticeable, and it wouldn't be fair to put a female at that kind of risk at that age.

Once I scored 5 touchdowns in one game. Yeh' it was backyard nerf football and I was 10 but still. I quit playing organized football after 7th grade. Now I prefer to sit in the stands shirtless hurling obscenities at the referees. :D

I played 4 years of HS ball, WR and DB, mostly at WR. Nothing spectacular, just fond memories

Glory days game on the intrmural fields of Auburn. My freshman year I played on a team with group of guys from the Auburn Christian Student Center. THe next year I was asked by some of the older guys there to play on their team, Bo Knows Us. This was a well established team that had been around the ACSC for several yers. The Four years I played on Bo Knows Us, we only lost maybe 6 to 8 intrmural games, always in the semis of the tourney. We routinely spanked the fraternity teams adn everyone else we played for that matter. We even went and played in the Southeastern Flag Football tourney in Atlanta. Won one and then played a team from Florida :blink: They had a QB that was about 5' tall and could sling it!! They had WRs tht played some college ball and could fly!! The QB would line up 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Nobody blocked. We rushed 2 but could never get to him before he threw it 30 yards down field. They scored 30 on us before half time. embarrassing!!! But the whippings we put on folks at the intramural fields were fun!!!

Wow. I have everyone beat.

I didn't play in High School at all but walked onto UGA's team where I set freshman records in just about every catagory at QB.

I then went on to win the SEC POY Award all four years including the Heisman my Junior and Season.

I ended up breaking most NCAA passing records including yards, td, and completions.

I had 4 SEC Titles and 3 National Titles to my credit.

Oh wait, that was me playing on my NCAA game.

I played FB until jr. year hs when reality slapped me into realizing I had a better chance @ a college scholarship w/ God's sport, soccer (the original football). Still love the pigskin though...

I played 4 years of HS ball, WR and DB, mostly at WR.  Nothing spectacular, just fond memories

Glory days game on the intrmural fields of Auburn.  My freshman year I played on a team with group of guys from the Auburn Christian Student Center.  THe next year I was asked by some of the older guys there to play on their team, Bo Knows Us.  This was a well established team that had been around the ACSC for several yers.  The Four years I played on Bo Knows Us, we only lost maybe 6 to 8 intrmural games, always in the semis of the tourney.  We routinely spanked the fraternity teams adn everyone else we played for that matter.  We even went and played in the Southeastern Flag Football tourney in Atlanta.  Won one and then played a team from Florida :blink: They had a QB that was about 5' tall and could sling it!!  They had WRs tht played some college ball and could fly!!  The QB would line up 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  Nobody blocked.  We rushed 2 but could never get to him before he threw it 30 yards down field.  They scored 30 on us before half time.  embarrassing!!!  But the whippings we put on folks at the intramural fields were fun!!!

176029[/snapback]

WOW... :huh:

I currently play jv and high school.I start at OT and DT on jv will be starting on varsity by next year.The only reason I play is because i'm so big i'm 5'9 210 and i also bench 200 and squat 340 and i'm only 14.That about does it for my bragging .

I was a hog.

I played DT, NG, and lettered and started at Center on a championship team. I played with two other linemen who played D1 (1 at UAT and 1 at Florida). Three other guys on our team played at USM. The two biggest names I played against were Kevin McCants and Lawyer Tilman.

Played HS 3 years, broke my left leg horribly early in my senior year and never made it back on the field.

I was listed as a DB, but I also lined up occasionally as a LB in blitz schemes. One of my best plays was during my junior season against Emma Samson HS out of Gadsden. I came in on a blitz and nailed Freddy Weygand from his blind side. Caused a fumble with that hit and we won the game. I intercepted a pass later in the year against Glencoe and returned it 40-something yards for a TD.

I also kicked some. Nothing spectacular there, but I booted the winning PAT during our homecoming against Shelby County High School back in 1981.

I currently play jv and high school.I start at OT and DT on jv will be starting on varsity by next year.The only reason I play is because i'm so big i'm 5'9 210 and i also bench 200 and squat 340 and i'm only 14.That about does it for my bragging .

176071[/snapback]

TF, play only if you love playing!! If you love then keep growing kid and we will all yell for you, and call you TigerFreak, when you step on the field at JHS donning the orange and blue!!! War Eagle!!

Archived