Mitt Romney announces he won't seek re-election for another term in U.S. Senate.

AU9377

He cites his age and the need to pass the torch to the next generation.  He also re-asserts his belief that the MAGA wing of the Republican party is a dead end for the party and will be incapable of leading.  Ofcourse, Donald Trump wasted no time in showing a lack of class in his comments on Romney.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/13/trump-celebrates-romneys-2024-retirement-announcement-00115697

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitt-romney-not-running-for-reelection-senate-2024/

18 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He cites his age and the need to pass the torch to the next generation.  He also re-asserts his belief that the MAGA wing of the Republican party is a dead end for the party and will be incapable of leading.  Ofcourse, Donald Trump wasted no time in showing a lack of class in his comments on Romney.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/13/trump-celebrates-romneys-2024-retirement-announcement-00115697

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitt-romney-not-running-for-reelection-senate-2024/

Glad he accepts his age and understands the need to let a younger generation govern. Wish more would follow suit.

But for the record, What has Mitt accomplished for his party? What has he accomplished for America?

Edited by AUFAN78

37 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Glad he accepts his age and understands the need to let a younger generation govern. Wish more would follow suit.

But for the record, What has Mitt accomplished for his party? What has he accomplished for America?

He understands that leadership is not always self serving. Leading doesn't mean blowing up every issue and refusing to compromise.  He has refused to play the short game and lie to the American people hoping for the win now, without concern for the future. 

Romney has warned everyone that “a very large portion of my party, really doesn’t believe in the Constitution.”  He has had the integrity and character to look at people in his own party and call them out on their actions.  Without people like that, we really are lost as a country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A very decent honest man who actually tried to represent his constituents and always managed to rise above the sophomoric fray of so many of his colleagues. 

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

Why?

Because loyalty to the party is everything.  The party is never wrong.  The opposition is evil and, never correct or, honest. 

Never go against the party.

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

A very decent honest man who actually tried to represent his constituents and always managed to rise above the sophomoric fray of so many of his colleagues. 

So true even to the point of not standing up for himself as he was portrayed as out of touch with modern foreign policy (the 80’s called and wants their policies back) and wanting to *unchain* Wall Street and, therefore, oppressing an already oppressed part of our society (he’s going to put y’all back in chains).

The political landscape had passed the man by a long time ago.

28 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Because loyalty to the party is everything.  The party is never wrong.  The opposition is evil and, never correct or, honest. 

We should examine party line votes. ;)

30 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So true even to the point of not standing up for himself as he was portrayed as out of touch with modern foreign policy (the 80’s called and wants their policies back) and wanting to *unchain* Wall Street and, therefore, oppressing an already oppressed part of our society (he’s going to put y’all back in chains).

The political landscape had passed the man by a long time ago.

He was facing a generational type of political candidate when he ran for President.  He was also running as the candidate of the party that had held the White House for 8 years and had involved the U.S. in unnecessary occupations and an economy that was in collapse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He was facing a generational type of political candidate when he ran for President.  He was also running as the candidate of the party that had held the White House for 8 years and had involved the U.S. in unnecessary occupations and an economy that was in collapse.

He did not offer any pushback on Obama’s foreign policy remark or Biden’s and this was the 2012 election or Obama’s 2nd term so the White House was four years removed from Republican rule.  He didn’t stand a chance, but he was milquetoast with regard to standing up for himself. The old guard of the Republican Party and that is why Trump lit a fire under the Republicans in 2016.

We did need to reduce the heat a little, but not to the level of Romney.

2 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Why?

I’ve never been a fan of Mitt, even before his failed presidential run and long before Trump even thought about getting into politics.  He’s always been way too soft and a push over. 

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Yeah - if you believe that, you should look at the Democrats - it’s 10x worse.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Why?

Look at this thread for your answer. The only people who are sorry that he's leaving are the liberals.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Look at this thread for your answer. The only people who are sorry that he's leaving are the liberals.

Sorry. Not a liberal.  I’m one of those damn neocons. To me, one the last non crazy republicans left.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/596026-romney-on-greene-gosar-i-have-morons-on-my-team/amp/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Sorry. Not a liberal.  I’m one of those damn neocons. To me, one the last non crazy republicans left.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/596026-romney-on-greene-gosar-i-have-morons-on-my-team/amp/

Yes, but at the time I wrote that you hadn't yet posted in this thread.

Just now, Mikey said:

Yes, but at the time I wrote that you hadn't yet posted in this thread.

No worries.  Liberals like to say they like Romney simply because he calls out maga (same as Cheney) so it’s stylish for them to say so.  In terms of  fiscal ideology, they definitely don’t.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Good thing I didn't ask you.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Good thing I didn't ask you.

It's an open forum. Therefore you asked any member who might choose to respond. If you want a private conversation go the message route. Can't believe a geezer like me is having to give lessons in social media behavior.

9 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

No worries.  Liberals like to say they like Romney simply because he calls out maga (same as Cheney) so it’s stylish for them to say so.  In terms of  fiscal ideology, they definitely don’t.

I mean I don't "like" many of Mitt Romneys policies or beliefs, but I do believe hes more moderate than a lot of other Republicans and is more willing to compromise and is able to be worked with to get important legislation passed than a majority of the rest of the GOP is. 

I'll miss Romney because less men like him means it'll only become harder to accomplish anything worthwhile in Washington. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's an open forum. Therefore you asked any member who might choose to respond. If you want a private conversation go the message route. Can't believe a geezer like me is having to give lessons in social media behavior.

Except for the fact that I've openly explained in the past why I choose not to engage with you. And that I was asking GoAU specifically, since he had given no reason and can actually carry an intelligent conversation.

i never liked him. he was a corporate raider who would buy companies and shut them down. people lost jobs but what bothered me is i read where he took peoples pensions leaving them with little or nothing. it has been a while and maybe it was just a rumor but it was repeated enough it turned me off. and before the clown show comes in i am not saying he did anything illegal as it was my understanding it was in fact legal but taking pensions was just too much for me. it might be a lie but it sure turned me against him. there were a lot of flags