THE Question: who is QB next week?

gr82b4au

28 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Maybe, but nothing RA has done as far as being a throwing QB is worth a crap either. I mean, stick a QB in there that can run, yes, but that can’t hit a receiver 9 yards on a crossing route and what changes. No D will have or after today has any respect for our QB or the current game planning. This is another dumpster fire in the making. I’ve seen nothing thus far to change my outlook and as I have stated under other posts, higher rated recruits notice and the know they’re no longer completely locked in after 1 year. Poor coaching and team management all around. Yeah, we plucked another glorified HS coach once again, to lead what was once a respected program. 

Sounds like you may need to go pull for another team. This is a 3-4 year project at least. It took several years to sink this program. It will take years to fix. 

We will be good again as long as we keep recruiting well. 

• Like 6

It wont matter who the QB is until our coaches decide who and what they want us to be on offense and call plays aligned with that identity. That said, Oregon’s QB looked fabulous today. 😥

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Happy for him and sad for us.

• Like 5

PT looks like a deer in the headlights, Robbie can’t throw and HG is too green. However, the play calling has been really bad.

• Like 1

Who should start ? Well you got me.

We played 3 QBs.

The 3 QBs combined for 9 of 23 passing (39%), 56 yds and 0 TDs.

14 incompletions occurred.

6 incompletions were thrown well over the heads of wide open WRs by the 3 QBs.

2 other incompletions hit the WR right in the hands.

The QBs were sacked 7 times before they could make the pass attempt.

The OL was well below average in pass protection, at best.

Although the QBs are a major part of the problem it's not just them. There are several issues going on with the QBs, the OL, the WRs and yes, some of the play calling. All the issues have to be corrected in combination to make this thing work.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

The QBs were sacked 7 times before they could make the pass attempt.

Sort of true. QB indecisiveness led to several of those sacks. 

• Like 4

Robby did decent to me. He had the one over throw. Then the back shoulder to JJ . Not sure why he was the one as u needed a bigger guy. Then u had the drop by Hooks that should have been a score. The other drive was moving before PT put in on 3 and 25. Get 5 yards there to try for a FG. It seems the plays called for the QBs are the exact opposite of what they should be doing

Our offense is very vanilla & unimaginative. I'm not liking Montgomery at all.

To me PT has had his legit shot.

Robby has gotten his fair shots last year & this year and all the opposing defenses have to do is sit on him either running or handing off (not worried about him throwing at all).

Holden needs to just learn on the fly how to do the intangibles and to scramble. I feel he is our only hope to have a balanced offense, which you have to have to win in the SEC.

So, give Holden the same fair shot PT & RA has gotten (at least 1 half of a game to show what he can or cannot accomplish)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Sort of true. QB indecisiveness led to several of those sacks. 

I agree that was part of it for sure. But the TAMU DL was owning our OL on pass pro so badly, I'm sure it contributed to some of that indecisiveness. Some of their pass rushes were like a stampede, just insane.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, e808 said:

Robby did decent to me. He had the one over throw. Then the back shoulder to JJ . Not sure why he was the one as u needed a bigger guy. Then u had the drop by Hooks that should have been a score. The other drive was moving before PT put in on 3 and 25. Get 5 yards there to try for a FG. It seems the plays called for the QBs are the exact opposite of what they should be doing

The drive was moving and it was 3rd and 35? I’d say “ the drive” stopped a couple of plays earlier.

18 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

The drive was moving and it was 3rd and 35? I’d say “ the drive” stopped a couple of plays earlier.

I think u needed 5 yard to get a field goal attempt . First Jimbo  declined the penalty then accepted to take Auburn out of field goal range . Didn’t know Robby got hurt and that’s why PT was put back 

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I agree that was part of it for sure. But the TAMU DL was owning our OL on pass pro so badly, I'm sure it contributed to some of that indecisiveness. Some of their pass rushes were like a stampede, just insane.

I agree with that. That’s the result of multiple 4 and 5 Star recruits rushing o linemen from E Carolina, W Kentucky, Tulsa and JUCO. Showed up big time today. Hugh has a lot to solve for the next few weeks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Sounds like you may need to go pull for another team. This is a 3-4 year project at least. It took several years to sink this program. It will take years to fix. 

We will be good again as long as we keep recruiting well. 

Thanks for your insight. Do you honestly think we are winning over recruits with play on the field like we’ve been seeing? Maybe you’re forgetting the fact that kids can leave after one year if they aren’t satisfied. Hope you’re right in your assessment and I’ll be sure to let you know if I Need to pull for another team. It’s my opinion, after a horrible looking showing after four games. In 3 to 4 more years, the program will be buried. Good programs don’t have one 10 win season and then never have a back to back one. 

26 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I wouldn’t say own because if u had better play calling or qb play that wouldn’t be the case . They had chances just didn’t capitalize . Then u get a big run play and a penalty is thrown. At minimal clean up the penalties 

Edited by e808

51 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Our offense is very vanilla & unimaginative. I'm not liking Montgomery at all.

To me PT has had his legit shot.

Robby has gotten his fair shots last year & this year and all the opposing defenses have to do is sit on him either running or handing off (not worried about him throwing at all).

Holden needs to just learn on the fly how to do the intangibles and to scramble. I feel he is our only hope to have a balanced offense, which you have to have to win in the SEC.

So, give Holden the same fair shot PT & RA has gotten (at least 1 half of a game to show what he can or cannot accomplish)

ObI-Wan Geriner. I like it…

26 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Thanks for your insight. Do you honestly think we are winning over recruits with play on the field like we’ve been seeing? Maybe you’re forgetting the fact that kids can leave after one year if they aren’t satisfied. Hope you’re right in your assessment and I’ll be sure to let you know if I Need to pull for another team. It’s my opinion, after a horrible looking showing after four games. In 3 to 4 more years, the program will be buried. Good programs don’t have one 10 win season and then never have a back to back one. 

Mrs Saban, could you please get off the forum.   Your point of view is not pleasant to read and doesn’t bring anything to the discussion.   

Freeze talked about baptism by fire for the freshman and the next guys up before the A&M game. 

The baptism went badly. The offensive at this point is terrible - scheme, play calling, and execution. The script for the first drive of the game set the tone. I have never coached a day of football in my life, but they did nothing to help Thorne settle into the game. He also didn’t do anything to help himself. Ditto for Robbie and Holden.   

My gut says they don’t think they have a solution. Freeze tipped his hand talking about the talent gap during his pressers before the game, but he realized it during the Cal game. 

Well, you got punched in the face, your offensive baby is ugly, and these are the guys you have. What are you going to do? I don’t expect perfection. I expect competence and improvement. That might not lead to as many W’s as we want, but it should be building momentum. 

• Like 1

should be Ashford but probably won’t be … I imagine PT will start

i know that most will disagree but RA gives us the best shot to win each week

i said it after the first game & got blasted BUT Thorne is very, VERY average 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Watching the dumpster fire today, he definitely made the right decision in leaving for Oregon. Smart young man, I think he already has his graduate degree.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

The script for the first drive of the game set the tone. I have never coached a day of football in my life, but they did nothing to help Thorne settle into the game. He also didn’t do anything to help himself. Ditto for Robbie and Holden.   

1000% correct

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with that. That’s the result of multiple 4 and 5 Star recruits rushing o linemen from E Carolina, W Kentucky, Tulsa and JUCO. Showed up big time today. Hugh has a lot to solve for the next few weeks. 

Well I agree completely. After all , he's had almost a whole year. 

• Haha 1