2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

On 12/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, AEAugirl said:

I think Napier is fired mid season.  Their schedule next year is absolutely the most brutal I think I have ever seen. 

This is an article from a UF site and gives some insight into that program and how mismanaged it has been under Napier, specifically with the staff.  It’s a complete mess. 

There is also a lot of chatter DJ Lagway is looking around.  Apparently he started following some Texas A&M sites.  This class is already starting to fall apart, and if he loses Lagway that might be the death knell for him. 

https://insidethegators.com/2023/11/28/five-thoughts-staff-shake-up/?fbclid=IwAR3G086NK0zmOJC9Kd0JmbnaismDTLsvkQLwdWRHSn3BtKpp13WaM1Ea9qY

That’s a potential 3-9, 2-10 schedule. Samford is the only guarantee. 

I don't want to mess with the OP because it does have some information I don't feel like looking for or typing out (years of eligibility and linking stats). However, here is a bit more of an updated group of transfer targets.

Quarterback (1)

We don't seem to be locked in on any one target yet but Auburn is definitely fishing around. It is the expectation of most that Robby Ashford will likely transfer. At the very least that means we need quality depth behind Thorne.

Running Back (0)

The staff doesn't expect to lose any of our existing running backs. That means we may honestly go a fulll cycle without adding a running back from high school and/or the transfer portal.

Wide Receiver (2-3)

• Robert Lewis - Georgia State - 1 year to play - visited Auburn on December 8th
  • Jared Brown - Coastal - 2 years to play - visiting Auburn 12/15
  • Zavion Thomas - Mississippi State - 2 years to play
  • Will Shappard - Vanderbilt - 1 year to play
  • Caullin Lacey - South Alabama - 1 year to play
  • Deion Burks - Purdue - 2 years to play

Basically, if Auburn adds Ryan Williams I would only expect two additions here. Otherwise look for us to take three. The staff will prioritize years of eligibility within reason. I could see Brown, Thomas, and Lacey all being strong possibilities.

Tight Ends (1)

• Jaleel Skinner - Miami - 3 years to play - visiting December 15th

Auburn wants to add one (maybe two after Fromm's departure) here. Again, we want a player with a decent amount of eligibility left.

Offensive Line (2-3)

• Matthew Bedford - Indiana - 1 year to play - visited December 6th
  • Gerquan Scott - Southern Miss - 1 year to play - visited December 8th
  • Mak Pounders - Memphis - 2 years to play - visiting December 10th
  • Fernando Carmona - San Jose St - 2 years to play
  • Alan Herron - Shorter - 2 years to play
  • Easton Kilty - North Dakota - 1 year to play

Defensive Tackles (2-3)

• Derrick Harmon - Michigan State - 2 years to play - visited December 8th
  • Chris McClellan - Florida - 2 years to play
  • Nate Clifton - Vanderbilt - 2 years to play

Edge (0)

Auburn seems to believe in the freshmen they are bringing in for this position.

Inside Linebackers (1-2)

None currently listed after Chris Paul Jr. went to Ole Miss for some reason.

Defensive Backs (2-3)

• Jermod McCoy - Oregon State - 3 years to play
  • Akili Arnold - Oregon State - 1 year to play
  • Will Lee - Kansas State - 2 years to play
  • Ethan Robinson - Bucknell - 2 years to play

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Wide Receiver (2-3)

• Robert Lewis - Georgia State - 1 year to play - visited Auburn on December 8th
  • Jared Brown - Coastal - 2 years to play - visiting Auburn 12/15
  • Zavion Thomas - Mississippi State - 2 years to play
  • Will Shappard - Vanderbilt - 1 year to play
  • Caullin Lacey - South Alabama - 1 year to play
  • Deion Burks - Purdue - 2 years to play

Basically, if Auburn adds Ryan Williams I would only expect two additions here. Otherwise look for us to take three. The staff will prioritize years of eligibility within reason. I could see Brown, Thomas, and Lacey all being strong possibilities.

I think we take one outside and one slot guy.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Offensive Line (2-3)

• Matthew Bedford - Indiana - 1 year to play - visited December 6th
  • Gerquan Scott - Southern Miss - 1 year to play - visited December 8th
  • Mak Pounders - Memphis - 2 years to play - visiting December 10th
  • Fernando Carmona - San Jose St - 2 years to play
  • Alan Herron - Shorter - 2 years to play
  • Easton Kilty - North Dakota - 1 year to play

Again, I think we take 1 IOL and one OT.  I think Bedford is one.  He gives flexibility across the line.  I also think Gerquan Scott happens quickly 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we take one outside and one slot guy.

So taking the info from Zeek and this from you, taking 2 receivers, reading between the lines Ryan Williams to Auburn. You've said too much haha 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

It is the expectation of most that Robby Ashford will likely transfer.

@Zeek Not if you read what Bird posted the other day. Sounds like he may change positions. Also he can't transfer til he graduates & he supposedly was not a winter graduate.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I could see Brown, Thomas, and Lacey all being strong possibilities.

Last I saw A&M led with Lacey.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

(maybe two after Fromm's departure)

Nope. Still one. Per JLee Fromm leaving doesn't affect how many TE transfers we take.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek Not if you read what Bird posted the other day. Sounds like he may change positions. Also he can't transfer til he graduates & he supposedly was not a winter graduate.

Last I saw A&M led with Lacey.

Nope. Still one. Per JLee Fromm leaving doesn't affect how many TE transfers we take.

Yeah I had heard summer for Robby.

Agreed we don’t lead for Lacey but I think he’s still possible.

Didn't see that from JLee

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not if you read what Bird posted the other day. Sounds like he may change positions.

Those are the options. Change positions, transfer after graduation, or step down to a lower tiered school. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Those are the options. Change positions, transfer after graduation, or step down to a lower tiered school. 

Sorry if I'm reading too much in your post the other day.

11 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What transfer QB's have AU offered?

@NWALA Tiger None publicly. Not sure if you read JLee's transfer tracker but he says It appears AU, for now, will not add a transfer QB. That could change, but there hasn’t been any indication AU is QB shopping in the portal.

Just now, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger None publicly. Not sure if you read JLee's transfer tracker but he says It appears AU, for now, will not add a ytansfer QB. That could change, but there hasn’t been any indication AU is QB shopping in the porta;.

Very interesting decision by Hugh and staff.

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Very interesting decision by Hugh and staff.

It’s probably a smart decision in that why go public and ratchet up the biding war with your intent.  I am sure he is talking to certain QBs behind the scenes to make a decision later in the process.  Our impatience is not a factor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It’s probably a smart decision in that why go public and ratchet up the biding war with your intent.  I am sure he is talking to certain QBs behind the scenes to make a decision later in the process.  Our impatience is not a factor.

I would certainly hope that if he intends to bring in a transfer that it would be in this early window so they could go thru spring ball. Interesting that Riley Leonard hasn't committed to ND yet

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, ellitor said:

@HAPvsOA i'm curious as to why you are expecting commits by the 4th day of a 30 day open portal window? Seems unrealistic in many cases.

Busy at work and didn't realize the portal hadn't officially opened yet when some of the 1st names were announcing.

That being said, Freeze and co. seem to prefer to do visits instead of locking down their top targets early like some other schools. Not saying it's bad, just more surprised how quickly some get commitments from transfers without a visit or anything. But I guess transfers probably say yes to the money and assume they can back out within the 30 day period if they haven't signed and it's not a good fit.  

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Sorry if I'm reading too much in your post the other day.

You're good, buddy.  I just want to clarify. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Busy at work and didn't realize the portal hadn't officially opened yet when some of the 1st names were announcing.

That being said, Freeze and co. seem to prefer to do visits instead of locking down their top targets early like some other schools. Not saying it's bad, just more surprised how quickly some get commitments from transfers without a visit or anything. But I guess transfers probably say yes to the money and assume they can back out within the 30 day period if they haven't signed and it's not a good fit.  

I would charge $50k per visit and take as many as I could in 30 days.

In this scenario I’m highly sought after of course.

• Haha 1