Indiana crowd

LPTiger

You all who see my posts know I am an AU homer.   I admit it.  My eyes look through orange and blue glasses.   But, today's crowd in Atl was semi-embarrassing.  Indiana has a great history, no doubt.   Their fans love basketball.  But there is NO excuse for us to be outnumbered 5 to 1 in Atlanta.  Thankfully, we brought our cheerleaders, dance team and pep band, and they had none of that, or else it would have felt like a road game.   I wonder how much of it has to do with last Sunday's game?   Anyway, our boys deserve better from us, IMO....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

You all who see my posts know I am an AU homer.   I admit it.  My eyes look through orange and blue glasses.   But, today's crowd in Atl was semi-embarrassing.  Indiana has a great history, no doubt.   Their fans love basketball.  But there is NO excuse for us to be outnumbered 5 to 1 in Atlanta.  Thankfully, we brought our cheerleaders, dance team and pep band, and they had none of that, or else it would have felt like a road game.   I wonder how much of it has to do with last Sunday's game?   Anyway, our boys deserve better from us, IMO....

Surprised to hear that.

Announcers said it was split 50/50.

Just how it goes sometimes. Auburn has showed up to many neutral sites in relatively great amounts, and has won the crowd in those Atlanta games, from what I’ve heard, multiple times. Outside of the historically top tier bball programs, you’re probably not going to win every one, much less the ones on graduation day + first weekend of Christmas break 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

Very close to 50/50, possibly 55/45 IU. The southern half of the state is only 7-8 hours from ATL. It was not an ungodly trip for them. Same with us having 25% of the crowd at Cal this year. Sometimes things like that shouldn't happen, but they do. Auburn was still well represented today. 

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 4:35 PM, LPTiger said:

Indiana is a huge university with an enrollment of +45k.  I was listening to an AU podcast recently that stated Atlanta is their 2nd largest alumni association chapter so it shouldn't be surprising they showed up in force -- all in vain, though because AU smacked 'em with a triple digit score(!)     

Edited by AUloggerhead

Agreed on it being more 55/45 Indiana. Def not 5 to 1. But still huge props for them coming and showing out. They were very loud at the beginning and at the start of the second half when they were still in the game. You can tell that is a passionate fan base. I'm glad we did not have to listen to them the whole game. Would have made for a long afternoon as an AU fan. I was sitting next to a big group of Indiana fans and you could tell it meant a lot to them and that losing like they did hurt. I respect that kind of passion in a fan base

• Like 2

Their hoops fan base is comparable to our football fan base. They take their hoops seriously. That seemed like a fun environment for a neutral site game

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Their hoops fan base is comparable to our football fan base. They take their hoops seriously. That seemed like a fun environment for a neutral site game

The guy sitting next to me drove 8 hours on Thursday with 12 others.   They played golf Friday.   He was very nice and complementary of our team. The guys sitting next to my daughters were doing some weird animal like sounds for a little while.   The guy in front of me was pretty bad for about 30 minutes.   He settled down once the lead got to 10.   To their great credit, many of them stayed to the bitter end.   I read today that they lead the Big 10 in attendance and it isn't even close. 

• Like 1

Just for a little color from the other side; this from a Indiana basketball forum:

"Was at the game.  IU may have had more fans but it was close.  Having their band and cheerleaders sure made it feel more like an Auburn home game though.  It was definitely an advantage for them.  I'm sure Dolson(who was there) will use money, distance or finals as his excuse.  It was a bad look and yes the IU fans there noticed long before we collapsed after 10 minutes.  Our fans that come to see these destination/neutral site games spend a lot of money to attend. Most have come to expect our cheerleaders, the pep band, all the flags and pregame pep rallys.  We got nothing and a terrible performance by the team.  No we probably still lose this game no matter but still... it just seemed like a half ass'd effort all around by IU.  Sorry but we should be all in for IU basketball in every facet."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Just for a little color from the other side; this from a Indiana basketball forum:

"Was at the game.  IU may have had more fans but it was close.  Having their band and cheerleaders sure made it feel more like an Auburn home game though.  It was definitely an advantage for them.  I'm sure Dolson(who was there) will use money, distance or finals as his excuse.  It was a bad look and yes the IU fans there noticed long before we collapsed after 10 minutes.  Our fans that come to see these destination/neutral site games spend a lot of money to attend. Most have come to expect our cheerleaders, the pep band, all the flags and pregame pep rallys.  We got nothing and a terrible performance by the team.  No we probably still lose this game no matter but still... it just seemed like a half ass'd effort all around by IU.  Sorry but we should be all in for IU basketball in every facet."

I'm guessing Dolson is their AD?   AD Cohen was there and sat court side near the team.  Our band, dance team and cheer leaders really did make a difference IMO.   And bringing the wheelchair team was a very nice touch.   IU fans have a lot to be worried about....  

I'm amazed more wasn't made from the game promo end of Bob Knight saying "Auburn beating Indiana would be like a flea raping an elephant". Something after game like "flea rapes elephant" or such, certainly by BSPN or SI.