Freeze dismisses DC Ron Roberts

44 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It's an interesting exercise Hank.:dunno:

When a guy throws out a laundry list of issues like hypocritical leadership/poor communication/unclear expectations/unhealthy internal competition, it points straight to the man in charge.  Lack of listening, apathy towards culture, lack of trust could be several folks involved within the staff.  Ego, cynicism, selfishness may be on the players.  IDK what all his tweet is alluding to?  I was just speculating. 

Understand, I realize HC leadership ultimately owns all of these if they are real. Caveat to the situation is that apparently a very experienced, well thought of coach walked away from an extremely high paying job (most assign to Roberts). It did not seem like he would have taken the off the field role working extremely close with Freeze if Freeze was his original thorn in his side so to speak. I am speculating also.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Crime is not a completely innocent victim.  Reports that he physically assaulted Roberts on the practice field have circulated.

wow.i have not heard this.folks seemed to think crime dog was the victim but him being removed from the practice field to support makes sense. i appreciate that and i proclaim thee thje best looking you know what on the fam!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I see this from a player who directly benefitted from CRR's coaching and then I see CRR's tweet about "10 Culture Killers" posted in another thread.

RR tweet - 10 culture killers: [Sounds like Roberts left and pointed fingers at the AU program/management]

1. Ego (who had an ego so big that they couldn't take criticism - The same people that felt "disrespected?") 

2. Hypocritical leadership (Leadership = Freeze) hypocritical/holier than thou attitude??

3. Cynicism?

4. Selfishness?

5. Poor communication (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

6. Unclear expectations (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

7.  Lack of listening (who wouldn't listen?  players? subordinate staff, i.e. McGriff?)

8. Lack of trust (from the leader?  Freeze?)

9. Unhealthy internal competition (this has to be staff related because competition amongst players is healthy)

10. Apathy toward the culture (does the leader care about the culture?) Who's apathetic about AU's culture?

All this is interesting to say the least. 

It's pretty clear Robert's tweet was about Hugh.  They didn't get along.  Some players liked him (Asante) and some coaches/groups had some issues.  DBs.

Similar to Harsin, he had players that supported him and ones that didn't.  Both sides pretty heavily.

If they didn't get along he's better not here, which is the case now.  Hopefully nothing deeper than that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yep, pretty safe to say Roberts has issues with Freeze. You don't tweet something like that on your way out the door otherwise. 

Roberts spends more time airing grievances on his phone than a 12 year old girl. Like tweeting at fans 15 minutes after a loss. 

• Like 1

Maybe a little off topic, but speaking of culture, this is exactly what you DO want. Guy has every reason to be arrogant but he’s always respectful. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Understand, I realize HC leadership ultimately owns all of these if they are real. Caveat to the situation is that apparently a very experienced, well thought of coach walked away from an extremely high paying job (most assign to Roberts). It did not seem like he would have taken the off the field role working extremely close with Freeze if Freeze was his original thorn in his side so to speak. I am speculating also.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think Freeze was the thorn in McGriff's side at all. 

I think McGriff had issues with Roberts and based on Roberts tweet.... he had issues with the overall leadership, guidance, egos, and communication deficiencies in the program.  Roberts even mentions "hypocritical leadership"?.?.?  Like where the heck does that come from?   

• Facepalm 1

Let's not bicker about who killed who.

One way or another Roberts wasn't on board and for better or worse, everyone needs to be pulling the same direction.

He could have just said "So long and thanks for all the fish" though.

7 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think Freeze was the thorn in McGriff's side at all. 

I think McGriff had issues with Roberts and based on Roberts tweet.... he had issues with the overall leadership, guidance, egos, and communication deficiencies in the program.  Roberts even mentions "hypocritical leadership"?.?.?  Like where the heck does that come from?   

Yep — he posted his top ten list.  I just don’t think Roberts should rush 2 conclusions.  

• Haha 3

If you look at the pre bowl game interview Montgomery and Roberts did, every time Montgomery would start talking, Roberts had a smug look on his face. 

11 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Maybe Roberts created the list bc Freeze tried to keep McGriff on staff!! I don’t know and believe only few do know. I definitely know posting that as Roberts did was certainly not an outcome from his extreme leadership position. He missed it by a long shot but maybe Freeze did too.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Maybe Roberts created the list bc Freeze tried to keep McGriff on staff!! I don’t know and believe only few do know. I definitely know posting that as Roberts did was certainly not an outcome from his extreme leadership position. He missed it by a long shot but maybe Freeze did too.

McGriff was gone to aTm before Roberts posted his tweet.

IMO For the most part, the defense was the brightest part of 2023. I won’t question Roberts leaving but the chaos, optics, and cost of dismissing countless coordinators for many years has become program lunacy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I see this from a player who directly benefitted from CRR's coaching and then I see CRR's tweet about "10 Culture Killers" posted in another thread.

RR tweet - 10 culture killers: [Sounds like Roberts left and pointed fingers at the AU program/management]

1. Ego (who had an ego so big that they couldn't take criticism - The same people that felt "disrespected?") 

2. Hypocritical leadership (Leadership = Freeze) hypocritical/holier than thou attitude??

3. Cynicism?

4. Selfishness?

5. Poor communication (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

6. Unclear expectations (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

7.  Lack of listening (who wouldn't listen?  players? subordinate staff, i.e. McGriff?)

8. Lack of trust (from the leader?  Freeze?)

9. Unhealthy internal competition (this has to be staff related because competition amongst players is healthy)

10. Apathy toward the culture (does the leader care about the culture?) Who's apathetic about AU's culture?

All this is interesting to say the least. 

Thanks coach Roberts for leaving absolutely no doubt that firing you was the right thing 👍

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Thanks coach Roberts for leaving absolutely no doubt that firing you was the right thing 👍

He took notes from Harsin on trolling. 

• Haha 1

So much for a graceful exit. By posting this he just affirmed to me that he needed to go. Period! I hired and fired a lot of people in my business and the ones that left gracefully left the door open for rehiring at another time, and also signaled to the next one who hires them that they’re worth getting the benefit of the doubt..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CR said:

Roberts spends more time airing grievances on his phone than a 12 year old girl. Like tweeting at fans 15 minutes after a loss. 

Did Roberts tweet/reply at fans after games?  If so, what was the tone?  Or am I missing sarcasm here?

1 minute ago, toddc said:

So much for a graceful exit. By posting this he just affirmed to me that he needed to go. Period! I hired and fired a lot of people in my business and the ones that left gracefully left the door open for rehiring at another time, and also signaled to the next one who hires them that they’re worth getting the benefit of the doubt..

Harsin and Galloway are the only 2 coaches who I can readily recall making noise going out the door.  Roberts puts himself with a couple true winners.

we’ve had some really crazy situations that coaches kept professional in comparison to this

11 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Did Roberts tweet/reply at fans after games?  If so, what was the tone?  Or am I missing sarcasm here?

He was arguing with a fan about the coverage(or lack of) against Bowers after the UGA game. If Im not remembering wrong, it was within an hour of the game ending.

Edited by CR

Before we fixate on some posts or rumors and go down our traditional trash the exiting coordinator ritual. Again - from a facts perspective, wasn’t the defense the only bright spot this year (aside from the 4th and forever)? And that we were also recruiting it well?

It’s not the end of times but if this is somehow good news, I’m hopelessly confused.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Crime dog never sold his house in Auburn after he left the first time, his family stayed behind in Auburn and has been here ever since. He  loves Auburn area and people. I know I lived 2 house down from him. 

You're living in the same neighborhood as football coaches? Let me make sure to stay on your good side...

People wanna talk about how good the D was. Was it good bc we had athletes or his coaching? Prime example was Cali game with Asante. Kid was everywhere, that wasn’t coaching. Good athletes make coaches look good. IMO, that was this years defense & the “coaching” cost us on 4th & 31. Just my opinion. 

51 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Before we fixate on some posts or rumors and go down our traditional trash the exiting coordinator ritual. Again - from a facts perspective, wasn’t the defense the only bright spot this year (aside from the 4th and forever)? And that we were also recruiting it well?

It’s not the end of times but if this is somehow good news, I’m hopelessly confused.

You're making too much sense. 

The D had some rough moments, but was much better overall than the O or even special teams. Won the Cal game for us or we wouldn't have made a bowl. 

Going into the season, almost no one predicted the defense to be good. Roster was questionable at best.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CR said:

He was arguing with a fan about the coverage(or lack of) against Bowers after the UGA game. If Im not remembering wrong, it was within an hour of the game ending.

That’s crazy.  Ex-pres Leath argued with people online (or via email) which I thought was absolutely crazy.  Generally  speaking I think that’s a poor look at best

• Like 1