Freeze dismisses DC Ron Roberts

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's under an elite NFL DC/HC in Houston.  Past rumors is he doesn't like recruiting, but going from idk 600k to 1.2 million might change his mind

Maybe, but he will be working 24/7/365/366 for it. Time vs Money. 

41 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Last time he fired both was last year.  Got rid of O'Brien (OC) and Golding/Kelly (Co-DCs).  Replaced by Rees and Steele respectively.

CK was never co-DC at UA, he was associate DC and he was not fired by NS.  He was pursued by Deion to be his DC at the same time CK had applied for the AU DC position when HF was hired.  CK was offered either associate DC or assistant DC by HF which CK declined, instead he took the Colorado job.

2 hours ago, BoogingBarner said:

Nah, I'm definitely not a Bammer. The way you spelled that is seriously about how that fanbase and their players spell though. I give them a pass though. It's gotta be damn near impossible to type or write when every finger is being weighed down with national championship and SEC championship rings. And that's just since 1992.

Hey, no bammer here neither.

But man, how great is Alabama huh? Just about the best school ever. And Auburn? Puh! 

Even their attire is better right? You just try headin to the east side of your trailer park to score some crystal in an Auburn hat and see what happens to you. Leaving empty handed I'd bet.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Last time he fired both was last year.  Got rid of O'Brien (OC) and Golding/Kelly (Co-DCs).  Replaced by Rees and Steele respectively.

He did it one other time - after his first season when he fired Applewhite (OC) and Steele (DC), replacing them with McElwain/Pendry (OC) and Kirby Smart (DC).

Two other years he partially did it.  Fired/lost Daboll (OC) and one of his Co-DCs (Pruitt) one year.  Another he lost Lockley/Gattis (Co-OCs) and Lupoi (one of the Co-DCs).

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

It’s simple... why would CHF get three years or whatever and a coordinator doesn’t?
HC stability is more important than coordinator stability.

I would argue they are both of importance, one being more doesn't mean the other isn't at all. The OC is meh cause HF I guess doesn't really need a traditional OC. But the DC, it seems weird to say to everyone you just don't have the talent and it'll take time to get things on track, but then the coordinators aren't given time to build and teach the defensive philosophies they use.

All a moot point as OC doesn't matter and Titan said the DC was a team poison type personality.

Also, I'll defend Gus when someone says he's the worst ever. But that ain't the same as enjoying the never ending OC carousel thing :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Trash has been taken out.

Thank you but that took way too long.

8 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I would argue they are both of importance, one being more doesn't mean the other isn't at all. The OC is meh cause HF I guess doesn't really need a traditional OC. But the DC, it seems weird to say to everyone you just don't have the talent and it'll take time to get things on track, but then the coordinators aren't given time to build and teach the defensive philosophies they use.

All a moot point as OC doesn't matter and Titan said the DC was a team poison type personality.

Also, I'll defend Gus when someone says he's the worst ever. But that ain't the same as enjoying the never ending OC carousel thing :lol: 

I have no clue how Roberts got along with everybody, but did anyone see what Asante said yesterday?

GDW6pvGXUAAfWQl?format=jpg&name=large

https://x.com/rich_silva18/status/1744505662829216116?s=20

Edited by mb711
edit
  • Like 2

I like the idea of Arnett as DC because I believe in his X & O abilities. A solid gameday coach is the anchor and give him a team of stud recruiters with good coaching ability to stock the cupboard. Likewise the offensive side of the ball but Freeze can call his own plays and put the icing on recruiting. I would like to have a highly regarded OL coach to help draw recruits also.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gman87 said:

I like the idea of Arnett as DC because I believe in his X & O abilities. A solid gameday coach is the anchor and give him a team of stud recruiters with good coaching ability to stock the cupboard. Likewise the offensive side of the ball but Freeze can call his own plays and put the icing on recruiting. I would like to have a highly regarded OL coach to help draw recruits also.

U want it all don't u Bro?   I like it!!

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I’m not upset CRR is gone as I wanted Kelly from the get go but we need someone Hugh Freeze really trust in this role. The last two hires somewhat seemed out of left field.  

Yeah, my bad. 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

What's the average tenure for a coordinator under Saban? HC should set stability overall, but it's also different with coaches leaving for better opportunities vs firing them.  What's more, I believe most that were fired lasted for more than a season.  Golding, BOB were there for a few before "leaving".  Sark got a better job.  Tucker did too (was he a DC or did he go to MSU from UGA?).  

Outside year 1 have they had a 1 season coordinator that was fired b/c they were failures or didn't work well with the staff?

Auburn has had 8 OCs in 7 years.  I believe it's not much better on the defensive side either.  We HAVE TO get some consistency.  At both the top and the Coordinators too

Saban seems to give them time to find a spot vs. firing most of the time. Sometimes they just retire.

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

I agree that both are important..

Lets leave it at that 😆

49 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Yeah, my bad. 

It took me far too long to get this 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mb711 said:

I have no clue how Roberts got along with everybody, but did anyone see what Asante said yesterday?

GDW6pvGXUAAfWQl?format=jpg&name=large

https://x.com/rich_silva18/status/1744505662829216116?s=20

I see this from a player who directly benefitted from CRR's coaching and then I see CRR's tweet about "10 Culture Killers" posted in another thread.

RR tweet - 10 culture killers: [Sounds like Roberts left and pointed fingers at the AU program/management]

1. Ego (who had an ego so big that they couldn't take criticism - The same people that felt "disrespected?") 

2. Hypocritical leadership (Leadership = Freeze) hypocritical/holier than thou attitude??

3. Cynicism?

4. Selfishness?

5. Poor communication (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

6. Unclear expectations (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

7.  Lack of listening (who wouldn't listen?  players? subordinate staff, i.e. McGriff?)

8. Lack of trust (from the leader?  Freeze?)

9. Unhealthy internal competition (this has to be staff related because competition amongst players is healthy)

10. Apathy toward the culture (does the leader care about the culture?) Who's apathetic about AU's culture?

All this is interesting to say the least. 

Edited by JerryAU
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i was just going to ask this myself. i think we had a highly rated secondary? why would you not retain crimedog?

Crime is not a completely innocent victim.  Reports that he physically assaulted Roberts on the practice field have circulated.

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I see this from a player who directly benefitted from CRR's coaching and then I see CRR's tweet about "10 Culture Killers" posted in another thread.

RR tweet - 10 culture killers: [Sounds like Roberts left and pointed fingers at the AU program/management]

1. Ego (who had an ego so big that they couldn't take criticism - The same people that felt "disrespected?") 

2. Hypocritical leadership (Leadership = Freeze) hypocritical/holier than thou attitude??

3. Cynicism?

4. Selfishness?

5. Poor communication (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

6. Unclear expectations (this comes directly from leadership >> Freeze)

7.  Lack of listening (who wouldn't listen?  players? subordinate staff, i.e. McGriff?)

8. Lack of trust (from the leader?  Freeze?)

9. Unhealthy internal competition (this has to be staff related because competition amongst players is healthy)

10. Apathy toward the culture (does the leader care about the culture?) Who's apathetic about AU's culture?

All this is interesting to say the least. 

You make a great deal of assumptions when assigning ownership to list of supposed problems by Roberts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

You make a great deal of assumptions when assigning ownership to list of supposed problems by Roberts. 

It's an interesting exercise Hank.:dunno:

When a guy throws out a laundry list of issues like hypocritical leadership/poor communication/unclear expectations/unhealthy internal competition, it points straight to the man in charge.  Lack of listening, apathy towards culture, lack of trust could be several folks involved within the staff.  Ego, cynicism, selfishness may be on the players.  IDK what all his tweet is alluding to?  I was just speculating. 

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

When a guy throws out a laundry list of issues like hypocritical leadership/poor communication/unclear expectations/unhealthy internal competition, it points straight to the man in charge.  Lack of listening, apathy towards culture, lack of trust could be several folks involved within the staff.  Ego, cynicism, selfishness may be on the players.  IDK what all his tweet is alluding to?  I was just speculating. 

Wait where exactly are you getting this list from? 

19 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Crime is not a completely innocent victim.  Reports that he physically assaulted Roberts on the practice field have circulated.

If true, even that depends on if there was a provocation that led to said assault and if so, what that was.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BoogingBarner said:

So all we kept hearing was that Charles Kelly was hired to be safeties coach and co-DC. Then we kept getting told that Ron Roberts raised hell about having to be a co-DC and he still wanted to be the full DC. And now Florida has hired hired Ron Roberts to be linebackers coach and......wait for it.......CO-DC!!!!! So he supposedly doesn't want to be a co-DC and is pissed off here but he goes to Florida to be the co-DC? And it's being spun by Auburn as Hugh Freeze fired Roberts. Why did he wait and fire him nearly 6 weeks after our regular season ended? Makes no sense at all

It truly sounds like Ron Roberts pulled a Derek Mason and jumped off a sinking ship. I think he left on his own because of how this program is being ran just like Derek Mason did. When all that craziness was happening with Harsin after year 1, everybody made 9 million excuses for Harsin and claimed it was all headed in the right direction but we now know it was just BS media spinning stuff so we didn't look bad. This feels exactly the same. 

It feels so good being more aligned from top to bottom than we've ever been and everybody's pulling in the same direction. 🙄 

How about we stop hiring head coaches from Boise and Liberty for a change? Both seemed to be very overwhelmed by this job. Why can't our PTB grow a set and go hire a real coach that's actually proven something at a Power 5 program or NFL program? 

Yep, definitely trolling …

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If true, even that depends on if there was a provocation that led to said assault and if so, what that was.

Some peepo was disrepekted!   No choice but to throw fists.  :boxing:

On a more serious note, this all seems eerily reminiscent of a former coaching staff around these parts. Some coaches felt disrespected and had to air grievances to Bro Chett.  

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

Some peepo was disrepekted!   No choice but to throw fists.  :boxing:

On a more serious note, this all seems eerily reminiscent of a former coaching staff around these parts. Some coaches felt disrespected and had to air grievances to Bro Chett.  

No, I'm just saying, that

1.  We have no idea if this rumor of physical assault is even true.
2. We don't know what was said or done, to McGriff or players, to escalate things
3. We don't know what is meant by physical assault - was it a shove, or someone just putting their hands on someone, or was it a punch?

Absent those details, I don't think blaming Crime (or saying he's not an innocent victim) is really on solid footing here.  I'm not a violent person but there are some things a person could say that might get me to put hands on someone, especially if it had been building for a while.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Yep, pretty safe to say Roberts has issues with Freeze. You don't tweet something like that on your way out the door otherwise. 

• Thanks 1