Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

We survived a terrible shooting night against a team that was picked #15 and expected to be top 5 team in SEC this year. And returned most of the team that beat our brains out repeatedly last season. That’s a huge accomplishment right there. Knowing we can grind out one of these kind of games is huge going forward. 

• Like 4

So, is there any lingering doubt that Donaldson is our #1 point guard? I think the fans have been seeing this for some time now. I think Bruce has too but he wants to give Holloway every chance. Still, when it gets right down to the nitty-gritty, Tre is the guy we need on the court.

• Like 4

the Officials let us play this year.

As I recall, last year they hamstrung us early and we never stood a chance

8 minutes ago, gravejd said:

And returned most of the team that beat our brains out repeatedly last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

So, is there any lingering doubt that Donaldson is our #1 point guard? I think the fans have been seeing this for some time now. I think Bruce has too but he wants to give Holloway every chance. Still, when it gets right down to the nitty-gritty, Tre is the guy we need on the court.

Tre stirs our drink. 

Aden puts our drink in a blender. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes a straw would've sufficed. 

That's not disparaging one over the other. They compliment each other  and the rest of the roster really well and they both lead us in their own ways when we need them

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Tre stirs our drink. 

Aden puts our drink in a blender. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes a straw would've sufficed. 

That's not disparaging one over the other. They compliment each other  and the rest of the roster really well and they both lead us in their own ways when we need them

Tre is proving himself as a clutch player and he’s fearless. He’s also relentless in trying to make great passes. I hope we have him for four years. He’s awesome. I wanted him to play more last year so I’m thrilled to see him growing into his role. Aden is going to be deadly, but he’s forcing some things and playing tight. It’ll come to him soon. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Now CBP knows how to recruit in the Steph Curry age of longball!

Leaking that video with 2 high school recruits and 2 transfers. Genius! 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 2

I think the argument could be made for KD, CBM, and Tre to start. But i think Pearl likes the flow of the 2 lineups right now. The opponent comes out with there best lineup and plays us even and feels good about themselves. Both teams sub and AU has zero drop off and may even start playing better. How many times we've started to slow to have backups come in and get us started? Its rare to have a team this even between starters and subs and i think its brilliant to divide the lineups like he has. Constant pressure on the other team.

• Like 7

I liked Buzz Williams post game press conference. Had a lot of great things to say about our team and the environment. Said that he even wants to come back to see a football game!

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 4

IMO, Pearl is ensuring the development of Holloway by making him face tough competition.  Also, Pearl mixes the roster to optimize their play together and optimizes the mix depending on competition.  Tre, KD, Cardwell and CBM go in not just because Broome, Jaylon and Moore are tired. When the opponents are tired KD, CBM, & Cardwell wear them out even more.  

• Like 2

BTW, the officials were way too hard on Cardwell last night, especially considering the violence that A&M was dishing out last night.  The tripping, shoving, grabbing & cheap shots that A&M was over the top.  How none of them fouled out was ridiculous.

15 hours ago, CCTAU said:

He wasn’t ready then. He needed to mature to the point where he believed he is always one of the best players in the court. He finally has allowed himself to believe. His talent has always been there. His confidence has not. 
I love his game. And it doesn’t even seem to be fully developed yet. 

True, but I didn't mean leave because of the going to the NBA draft reason lol

Dude was 20-21, going on the age where most scouts say you're old, and he was content sitting behind a true freshman, a season removed from being one of the centerpieces on the 2020 covid team. Takes some real manhood to remain after that. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Tre stirs our drink. 

People are way too concerned with starting/not starting. This is one of those Auburn teams where 1-9 could be a starter, based on what night they're having. Did Aden even have more minutes than Tre? 

You put Tre in the second unit because he's an organizer for a bunch of guys that may not be as complementary as your starters. Generally speaking, most bench units are a bit more ragtag. Tre is that foundation...and if it's ever a night where the starting lineup needs some of that too, then you just stagger him like we did yesterday. 

All props to Tre for allowing himself to be a bench guy though. Didn't have to take that "demotion" lightly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

I liked Buzz Williams post game press conference. Had a lot of great things to say about our team and the environment. Said that he even wants to come back to see a football game!

Edited by wareagleguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The improved play of Cardwell and JWill is why this team is better this year.

And Donaldson, but I 100% agree with you. JWill has turned Alpha and Cardwell is MUCH more than a big-bodied cheerleader out there for AU this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I think the argument could be made for KD, CBM, and Tre to start. But i think Pearl likes the flow of the 2 lineups right now. The opponent comes out with there best lineup and plays us even and feels good about themselves. Both teams sub and AU has zero drop off and may even start playing better. How many times we've started to slow to have backups come in and get us started? Its rare to have a team this even between starters and subs and i think its brilliant to divide the lineups like he has. Constant pressure on the other team.

I think KD is most valuable off the bench after the tone of the game has been set. He is an ideal 6th man who will give you momentum both offensively and defensively and is a perfect contrast to some of our more passive players.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

I think KD is most valuable off the bench after the tone of the game has been set. He is an ideal 6th man who will give you momentum both offensively and defensively and is a perfect contrast to some of our more passive players.

Thisnyeat almost every game it has been the good KD, he has matured watch he no longer hogs the ball he assists and still fearless going to the rack.

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This yeat almost every game it has been the good KD, he has matured watch he no longer hogs the ball he assists and still fearless going to the rack.

Not just KD maturing, sure he's come up a bunch this year, but so has Donaldson, Cardwell and JWill.  Cardwell was a liability last year, now he's a huge scary monster, defender, rebounder and even hits about 1/2 his free throws.  The progress these guys have made is impressive.  He has all but stopped dribbling before he goes to the rim for a shot.

KD used to be such a wild beast, you didn't know what would happen when he came off the bench.  Now he thinks through his options, makes better passes, shooting better & smarter shots, defends better, and he's so quick now that he's lost some weight.   Opponents cringe when he looks like he's about to drive.   He is really difficult to guard.

• Like 3

Last night's game was ugly for sure, but the the good guys pulled it out somehow. Our returning players willed it. They have all improved more than I thought they would or could. I don't care who starts because there will be minutes for 9, 10, or 11 guys. They all will play. And CBP makes sure they have plenty in the tank for crunch time. I know Coach won't do it, but a well rested five for the final push for me are the returnees, Johni, Dylan, Jaylin, K.D., and Tre. With Dylan we have rebounding, rim protecting and a couple of lob jams. Jaylin is still our best 3 IMO. These guys just play much smarter than last year and make fewer bad decisions and turnovers. Balanced pt is good throughout the game, but right now I trust those five at crunch time. The newbies will improve and adjust to the speed of SEC and hopefully be ready for tournament and next year. They have to be. WDE!

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

That is insane.  Even though we didn’t hit the long ball during the game, we morphed into the team we needed to in order to come away with a grind it out win. 

5 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

He is the modern version of Vinnie “The Microwave” Johnson.