Men vs LSU Game Thread

7 minutes ago, Grumps said:

So you are saying that CBM being awesome was just as hard for you to miss? 🤣

When you know, you claim them first! 

Great having KD after the game. He helped turn it around when he took Cook out of the game.  Him along with Tre, Cardwell and CBM was the reason we won this game. Those three bring a frenetic Defense that takes teams out of their rhythm. Also when the LSU player hit the 3 3's they put CBM on him and he slowed him way down.  

I love Berman but both in 1st half and second half when we brought Berman in LSU made runs. He is a defensive liability and what is worse is he is not hitting open three's.

• Like 5

bama plays next we need them to lose then we are only undefeated team left in SEC play.  Cole was right years agao when he said Pearl should go after Mark Spears as he is playing lights out. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great having KD after the game. He helped turn it around when he took Cook out of the game.  Him along with Tre, Cardwell and CBM was the reason we won this game. Those three bring a frenetic Defense that takes teams out of their rhythm. Also when the LSU player hit the 3 3's they put CBM on him and he slowed him way down.  

I love Berman but both in 1st half and second half when we brought Berman in LSU made runs. He is a defensive liability and what is worse is he is not hitting open three's.

At this point, I'm assuming the Berman thing is just to steal a few minutes of rest for their guards/wings. That's my best guess 

Good win. I know it is a little disappointing that we let them back in it, but I give some credit to LSU there. They are much improved this year, and I could see them finishing in the neighborhood of .500 in the SEC. 

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

May have the worst +/- that I can remember 

Damn 93 points?! Got to give Bruce props. He responded to the criticism of last year and put together a well oiled machine of a team. Really addressed needs with the right pieces. 

• Like 1

Why do I feel any level of disappointment after this game … Imagine in years gone by being 14-2 / 3-0 … winning by 15, putting up 93, being on an impressive win streak and feeling this way.

my how things have changed for Auburn bball.  Man I love what CBP has done as well as all of these incredibly likable players

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Why do I feel any level of disappointment after this game … Imagine in years gone by being 14-2 / 3-0 … winning by 15, putting up 93, being on an impressive win streak and feeling this way.

my how things have changed for Auburn bball.  Man I love what CBP has done as well as all of these incredibly likable players

The more they give. The more I expect. Jus how we are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

Teams are hunting that matchup and picking on it. 

They'd be dumb not to. 

bama beat Miss State. The difference was Mark Sears in crunch time and Miss State missing last 6 free throws in a row. I think Auburn can beat both teams but we can't put Aden on Sears or he will smoke Aden. Sears is a complete PG he controls the game, he scores he assists and he plays really tough defense. Sears has a great stutter step where the defender stops for a beat then sears gets his body ahead and either scores or sets another player up if somebody comes down to help.  We should have a big advantage against bama at the 4 and 5 position if we run our offense. 

I think our speed and depth will help against bama but especially against Miss State. We will want an uptempo game against Miss State.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

bama beat Miss State. The difference was Mark Sears in crunch time and Miss State missing last 6 free throws in a row. I think Auburn can beat both teams but we can't put Aden on Sears or he will smoke Aden. Sears is a complete PG he controls the game, he scores he assists and he plays really tough defense. Sears has a great stutter step where the defender stops for a beat then sears gets his body ahead and either scores or sets another player up if somebody comes down to help.  We should have a big advantage against bama at the 4 and 5 position if we run our offense. 

I think our speed and depth will help against bama but especially against Miss State. We will want an uptempo game against Miss State.

bama isn't as good as last year, but still a top 4 team in the SEC. State is a little better than last year, but they always seem to stub their toe in some games and find themselves on the bubble.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Don't know if there is a great matchup for him, but yeah that's one you definitely have to put Denver on him and hope for the best. We've kinda been able to mask the PG deficiencies on defense as of late, but Bama is the one team that's always going to have guards to chip away at you if you got a weakness there. 

They are such a tough proposition for Auburn specifically, because alot of our best defense is gonna be in the 3 through 5, and with guys who excel pressing up on someone. I would say we're closer to bad than good at helping and recovering (which is how LSU got a good bit of their 3s today). Miss St had at least 2 possessions where they recovered and recovered and just got beat by the 5th Bama guy to receive the ball. Not only can they imitate that against us, theyll probably be seeking it out. 

They're a really scary team for us in particular, but at least in the home matchup, I obv see an advantage on the inside (assuming our bigs up go up strong). We just gotta make enough open shots when Bama inevitably has to help out on a Broome or Jaylin around the rim 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Would be very egregious if we didn't move up 3 spots or so 

Be best if we didn’t 

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They are such a tough proposition for Auburn specifically, because alot of our best defense is gonna be in the 3 through 5, and with guys who excel pressing up on someone. I would say we're closer to bad than good at helping and recovering (which is how LSU got a good bit of their 3s today). Miss St had at least 2 possessions where they recovered and recovered and just got beat by the 5th Bama guy to receive the ball. Not only can they imitate that against us, theyll probably be seeking it out. 

They're a really scary team for us in particular, but at least in the home matchup, I obv see an advantage on the inside (assuming our bigs up go up strong). We just gotta make enough open shots when Bama inevitably has to help out on a Broome or Jaylin around the rim 

I agree, they can be deadly when they are shooting well. The good news is that they are not very good defensively. Have several guys who are atrocious at keeping their man in front of them. I posted some cut ups of their on ball defense in another thread, TONS of blow bys. That is the big difference from this year to last. They may actually be better offensively, but are nowhere near as good defensively.

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don't know if there is a great matchup for him, but yeah that's one you definitely have to put Denver on him and hope for the best. We've kinda been able to mask the PG deficiencies on defense as of late, but Bama is the one team that's always going to have guards to chip away at you if you got a weakness there. 

I think KD is only guard we have that can slow Sears down.

Berman is the awkward friend that you know is going f-up the dynamics but he is such a nice guy you bring him along despite the circumstances 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think KD is only guard we have that can slow Sears down.

I mean Denver Jones has been a incredible defender this season for us.

Lior had his fun in the non-conference but now it's time to phase him out of the rotation completely.

This was a really good win that could've been a great win, but it's tough to ask more after a 15 point conference W

4 blocks from Cardwell is great, he was a menace tonight. 

There was a noticeable difference between when we were playing freely and pushing the pace compared to when we tried to bleed clock. 

We forced 17 turnovers. If we keep harassing teams like that we are going to put ourselves in position to win a lot of games

Edited by Tiger
  • Thanks 1