1.17.24 Football Articles

al.com

New Orleans Saints fire former Auburn quarterback

Updated: Jan. 16, 2024, 1:46 p.m.|Published: Jan. 16, 2024, 1:34 p.m.
3–4 minutes

New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach Kodi Burns works during an NFL game against the Atlanta Falcons

New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach Kodi Burns works during an NFL game against the Atlanta Falcons on Nov. 26, 2023, at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.(AP Photo/Danny Karnik)

Since working as a graduate assistant on Gus Malzahn’s first staff at Auburn in 2013 and serving as Samford’s running backs coach in 2014, Kodi Burns had taken his coaching career all the way to the NFL.

But after two seasons with the New Orleans Saints, Burns is out, along with offensive coordinator and offensive assistant Bob Bicknell, the NFL team announced on Tuesday.

The Saints retained Dennis Allen as their head coach after a 9-8 showing in 2023 that brought his two-year record with New Orleans to 16-18.

“I would like to thank Pete, Bob and Kodi for their service to the New Orleans Saints and to this coaching staff,” Allen said in a release from the team. “These types of decisions are never easy to come to but are necessary as we move forward.

“I would especially like to thank Pete for his contributions to this staff for 18 seasons. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the job he has done and as a colleague.”

Carmichael came to New Orleans as the quarterbacks coach on Sean Payton’s original staff with the Saints in 2006. He became the offensive coordinator in 2009, when New Orleans won the Super Bowl, and stayed on the staff when Allen moved up from defensive coordinator.

Before his coaching career, Burns was a versatile player at Auburn, capping his time on the Plains as a member of the 2010 undefeated BCS national-championship team.

In four seasons at Auburn, Burns completed 111-of-225 passes for 1,312 yards with seven touchdowns and 10 interceptions, ran for 799 yards and 14 touchdowns on 214 carries and caught 16 passes for 223 yards and two touchdowns.

Burns returned to the Tigers to work as co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach from 2016 through 2018 and passing-game coordinator and wide receivers coach in 2019 and 2020.

Between Auburn and the Saints, Burns was Tennessee’s wide receivers coach during the 2021 season.

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

al.com

Mountain Brook 2-time All-state running back commits to Auburn

Published: Jan. 16, 2024, 7:26 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Mt Brook Cole Gamble (19) carries the ball as Clay-Chalkville DÕangelo Barber (6) tackles him during the first half of a high school football game Friday, Nov. 17, 2023, in Birmingham, Ala. Gamble has accepted a PWO to Auburn. (Photo/Butch Dill/preps@al.com)preps@al.com

Mountain Brook two-time All-State running back Cole Gamble is headed to the Plains.

The senior announced on social media Tuesday night he had accepted a preferred walk-on opportunity with the Tigers.

“After a great visit on Saturday, I’m excited to announce my commitment to Auburn as a PWO,” Gamble said in a post on X. “Very appreciative of every coach and school that believed in me and gave me an opportunity.

“Thank you to everyone at Mountain Brook for the support, coaching and relationships built along the way.”

As a senior, the 6-foot-1, 205-pound Gamble rushed for 2,041 yards and 29 touchdowns on 273 carries for coach Chris Yeager’s Spartans.

As a junior, Gamble ran 200 times for 1,642 yards with 31 TDs and caught 10 passes for 123 yards in helping the Spartans to a 12-2 record and Class 6A championship game.

Auburn LB Cam Riley, DB Donovan Kaufman expected to enter transfer portal

Florida State flips Bama 4-star; continues to take advantage of coaching change

Recruiting roundup: The latest on Saraland 5-star WR Ryan Williams, comparisons to DeVonta Smith

Shawn Murphy becomes the latest Alabama transfer to pick Florida State

Travaris Robinson to stay at Georgia after considering Alabama return, per reports

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Former Auburn QB T.J. Finley back in transfer portal

Updated: Jan. 16, 2024, 3:20 p.m.|Published: Jan. 16, 2024, 3:18 p.m.
2–3 minutes

T.J. Finley

Quarterback TJ Finley (7) led Texas State to an 8-5 record and a victory over Rice in the First Responder Bowl in 2023. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)AP

Quarterback T.J. Finley is back in the NCAA transfer portal, seeking perhaps his fourth school in five years.

Finley signed with LSU out of high school in 2020 and spent the 2021 and 2022 seasons at Auburn before transferring last season to Texas State, where he passed for 3,439 yards and 24 touchdowns and helped the Bobcats to their first-ever bowl game. He has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Finley announced his decision to re-enter the portal via Instagram on Tuesday, with the caption “Thank you Texas State! Business is business!”

T.J. Finley

Texas State quarterback T.J. Finley announced Tuesday he is re-entering the NCAA transfer portal. (Instagram screengrab)Creg Stephenson/cstephenson@al.com

Texas State got a commitment on Monday from former Arizona quarterback Jayden de Laura. Finley had announced last week he was headed back to Texas State for the 2024 season, but apparently was caught off-guard by de Laura’s arrival.

The 6-foot-7, 255-pound Finley passed for 941 yards and five touchdowns in five games as a true freshman at LSU in 2020. He started five games in 2021 at Auburn amid injuries to Bo Nix, passing for 827 yards and six touchdowns with one interception.

Finley started Auburn’s 2022 season opener vs. Mercer after Nix transferred to Oregon, but came off the bench behind Robby Ashford in the next three games before sitting out the rest of the season and taking a redshirt year. He started all 13 games at Texas State this past season.

ti colder thban a siberian well diggers butt folks.

53 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Where the linebacker room has come from in two years is nothing short of remarkable. 

It has gone from a glaring weakness to what I think will be possibly the most talented position group on the entire team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Where the linebacker room has come from in two years is nothing short of remarkable. 

It has gone from a glaring weakness to what I think will be possibly the most talented position group on the entire team. 

we have that one cat .....will not mention any names  ...but i could outrun him and i am a big ol boy. i just need to hear the word buffet. and yes i agree.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
al.com

Former Auburn QB T.J. Finley back in transfer portal

Updated: Jan. 16, 2024, 3:20 p.m.|Published: Jan. 16, 2024, 3:18 p.m.
2–3 minutes

T.J. Finley

Quarterback TJ Finley (7) led Texas State to an 8-5 record and a victory over Rice in the First Responder Bowl in 2023. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)AP

Quarterback T.J. Finley is back in the NCAA transfer portal, seeking perhaps his fourth school in five years.

Finley signed with LSU out of high school in 2020 and spent the 2021 and 2022 seasons at Auburn before transferring last season to Texas State, where he passed for 3,439 yards and 24 touchdowns and helped the Bobcats to their first-ever bowl game. He has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Finley announced his decision to re-enter the portal via Instagram on Tuesday, with the caption “Thank you Texas State! Business is business!”

T.J. Finley

Texas State quarterback T.J. Finley announced Tuesday he is re-entering the NCAA transfer portal. (Instagram screengrab)Creg Stephenson/cstephenson@al.com

Texas State got a commitment on Monday from former Arizona quarterback Jayden de Laura. Finley had announced last week he was headed back to Texas State for the 2024 season, but apparently was caught off-guard by de Laura’s arrival.

The 6-foot-7, 255-pound Finley passed for 941 yards and five touchdowns in five games as a true freshman at LSU in 2020. He started five games in 2021 at Auburn amid injuries to Bo Nix, passing for 827 yards and six touchdowns with one interception.

Finley started Auburn’s 2022 season opener vs. Mercer after Nix transferred to Oregon, but came off the bench behind Robby Ashford in the next three games before sitting out the rest of the season and taking a redshirt year. He started all 13 games at Texas State this past season.

Fitty, do you think the Portal is liveable enough for TJ to make his home there?  He seems to love it there.  Maybe he could make it his permanent home.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Fitty, do you think the Portal is liveable enough for TJ to make his home there?  He seems to love it there.  Maybe he could make it his permanent home.

well one could say he does not give upi kinda hope he or robby go to jax state. they have a qb that cannot throw as well in my humblw opinion than either of those two.

al.com

Hugh Freeze, Auburn fills out offensive staff with additions of Derrick Nix, Kent Austin

Updated: Jan. 17, 2024, 3:03 p.m.|Published: Jan. 17, 2024, 2:25 p.m.

5–7 minutes

A transparent Hugh Freeze shares insight into his play calling against Mississippi State.

In a Wednesday afternoon press release, Auburn officially announced the hire of Derrick Nix as the new offensive coordinator and the promotion of former special assistant to the head coach Kent Austin as the quarterbacks coach.

“I’m very excited for this opportunity at Auburn and to get back on staff with Coach Freeze. Having worked with him before, I have a strong understanding of what he wants offensively as well as culture wise,” Nix said in the release. “Fundamentally, we want to be a fast, physical and fearless offensive scoring unit. I’m also looking forward to rejoining Coach Austin after working with him at Ole Miss for two years. Growing up in the state of Alabama, I understand what Auburn is about. I have vivid memories as a kid following the likes of Bo Jackson, Stan White and the undefeated team in 1993. I’m excited to be a part of the rich tradition of Auburn football and can’t wait to get started.”

The hirings officially complete Auburn’s offensive staff after the firing of former offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Philip Montgomery as well as the resignation of former running backs coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams.

“I’m really excited to reunite with Derrick here at Auburn,” head coach Hugh Freeze said. “He is an outstanding recruiter and coach who has nearly two decades of experience in the Southeastern Conference. Derrick knows the level of excellence required to be successful in this league and I know he’s looking forward to the opportunity to help develop a winning program at Auburn.”

Ole Miss first broke the news Nix’s move to Auburn with a letter signed by head coach Lane Kiffin.

Nix had been at Ole Miss since 2008 in various roles including running backs coach, wide receivers coach and associate head coach. Nix was the running backs coach during Freeze’s tenure as the head coach in Oxford.

Austin was Freeze’s co-offensive coordinator at Liberty from 2019-2022. He was also the offensive coordinator at Ole Miss from 2008-2009 — with Nix on his staff.

“I feel very honored and blessed to be given this new position and am thankful for the trust Coach Freeze has placed with me to develop our quarterbacks at Auburn,” Austin said in the release.

The move of Austin into the quarterbacks coach role has long been expected and was initially reported shortly by 247Sports after Montgomery was fired.

In advance of the Music City Bowl, quarterback Payton Thorne made a revealing comment when asked how he was planning to develop going into 2024 and mentioned Freeze and Austin as the coaches helping him with his technique. He did not mention Montgomery.

What remains unclear is who will call plays for Auburn next season.

Multiple reports have suggested Freeze plays to take over play calling duties for 2024.

That comes after at SEC Media Days before the 2023 season, Freeze said he was putting Montgomery in charge of play calling because he no longer felt like the top-level play-caller he may have once been while being the head coach at Ole Miss or Liberty.

He hired Montgomery to have someone he could pass off the focus of the offense to while he focused on recruiting and building Auburn’s roster for the future. It didn’t work. Montgomery’s offense was in the bottom 10 nationally in passing yards per game in 2023.

Freeze maintained throughout the year that he was still involved in the offense and could take over play calling if he felt he had the hot hand. It was Freeze who called the play which led to a game-winning touchdown pass to tight end Rivaldo Fairweather against Cal to save Auburn on a day where it struggled mightily. It was Freeze who initiated a turnaround of the offense when he “put his foot down” after four consecutive SEC losses.

Freeze made it clear it bothered him to no longer be in complete charge of the offense. It certainly seemed to itch him that he wasn’t calling more plays. But when he stepped in to take more of a role later in this season, Freeze said he felt he wasn’t able to put the focus he wanted into recruiting.

Should he in fact take on play calling duties, he’ll no longer have to play that juggling act anymore and the recruiting responsibility will be spread across more shoulders. Having now landed a top-10 recruiting class for the 2024 cycle and off to a quick start in the 2025 class, Freeze is going to shift his focus to the roster he already has going into next season.

But Nix’s Ole Miss contract includes a clause that he does not owe a buyout if he leaves for a head coach or coordinator job where he is calling plays. The letter Ole Miss posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, described Nix as having a “full-time” play calling duty.

Nix has not called plays before.

Auburn’s press release did not discuss play-calling.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

al.com

Derrick Nix is officially Auburn’s newest OC. Here’s why the hire makes sense

Updated: Jan. 17, 2024, 2:16 p.m.|Published: Jan. 17, 2024, 2:16 p.m.

7–8 minutes

Hugh Freeze and Auburn are one step closer to fully assembling the Tigers’ coaching staff for the 2024 season as the program announced the hiring of former Ole Miss associate head coach, wide receivers coach and running backs coach Derrick Nix.

Nix will be coming to The Plains to serve as Auburn’s offensive coordinator and running backs coach, the program announced Wednesday.

“I’m really excited to reunite with Derrick here at Auburn,” Freeze said in a release. “He is an outstanding recruiter and coach who has nearly two decades of experience in the Southeastern Conference. Derrick knows the level of excellence required to be successful in this league and I know he’s looking forward to the opportunity to help develop a winning program at Auburn.”

Wednesday’s announcement of Nix’s addition comes 12 days after the program announced the firing of Philip Montgomery, who served as the Tigers’ offensive coordinator last season.

The announcement of Nix’s hiring also comes six days after former Auburn running backs coach and associate head coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams announced his resignation.

And considering the countless struggles of Auburn’s offense in 2023, it’s likely few Tigers fans flinched when news of Montgomery’s firing surfaced. The news of Williams’ departure on the other hand? That stung Auburn fans for some time considering the former Auburn running back’s legacy on The Plains.

But now the Tigers have Nix, who is set to serve as Auburn’s offensive coordinator and running backs coach.

And while that might feel like a mere consolation prize to some as Tigers’ fans continue to grapple with the emotional battle that comes with Williams’ decision to part ways with his alma mater, there are reasons to believe the hiring of Nix is a good thing for the Auburn program.

Here are a few of those reasons:

Hugh Freeze and Derrick Nix have history

When Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze took the reins of the Ole Miss football program as head coach in 2012, he made the decision to retain Nix, who had been the Rebels’ running backs coach since 2008.

“Derrick’s abilities as a coach and recruiter are tremendous, and his obvious familiarity with our players is a huge plus for the staff,” Freeze said of keeping Nix on staff in 2012. “Derrick is very well respected around the state. He and I share the same core values, and I’m excited to work with him.”

For the entirety of Freeze’s five seasons in Oxford, Nix was right there with him as the Rebels went a combined 39-25 under Freeze, including back-to-back nine-win regular seasons for the first time since 1962 and four straight bowl appearances for the first time since 1971.

What that means is Freeze and Nix are already familiar with one another’s coaching styles and personalities.

And that’s not to say there were issues meshing coaching styles and personalities with Freeze and his recently departed assistants. But as with anything, there’s comfort in familiarity.

“I’m very excited for this opportunity at Auburn and to get back on staff with Coach Freeze. Having worked with him before, I have a strong understanding of what he wants offensively as well as culture wise,” Nix said in a release. “Fundamentally, we want to be a fast, physical and fearless offensive scoring unit. I’m also looking forward to rejoining Coach Austin after working with him at Ole Miss for two years

Derrick Nix is a proven recruiter

One of the biggest reasons Freeze hired recently fired offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery was so Montgomery could focus on game planning and play-calling, while Freeze spent more time on the recruiting trail.

But only half of that bargain worked in 2023 as Freeze and the Tigers landed the seventh-ranked recruiting class in the 2024 cycle. However, it came at the expense of Auburn’s offense struggling.

And while that might’ve been a price Freeze was willing to pay in Season 1, he wasn’t going to be as generous in Season 2 and instead plans on taking over the offensive play-calling next season, ESPN’s Chris Low reported Jan. 9.

And that’s where Nix comes in.

While Freeze returns his focus to what led to his ascension in the college football world, Nix will likely be asked to pick up the slack on the recruiting trail.

During Nix’s time in the college ranks, he has served as the primary recruiter for three 5-star prospects — including Ole Miss linebacker Suntarine Perkins, who ranked as the No. 1 prospect in the state of Mississippi and the third-rated linebacker in the country in the 2023 class.

Nix has also had a hand in landing 22 4-star prospects during his time with the Rebels as he recruited positions ranging from running backs and offensive linemen to defensive linemen and defensive backs.

Nix has been a leading recruiter in the state of Mississippi for years and will likely continue to dip into the Magnolia State to help Auburn land top talent.

Derrick Nix is an all-around offensive coach

In his 16 years at Ole Miss, Nix has worn a couple different hats — first as the Rebels’ running backs coach, followed by serving as the Rebels’ wide receivers coach.

Nix’s first 12 years with the Rebels were spent serving as Ole Miss’ running backs coach. With Nix overseeing the Rebels’ backfield, Ole Miss saw some of the most productive running backs comes through Oxford in guys like Brandon Bolden, Jaylen Walton, Dexter McCluster and Jordan Phillips — all of who rank inside the top-12 of all-time leading rushers at Ole Miss.

Ole Miss’ rush attack also ranked inside the top-three of the SEC three times under Nix’s tutelage.

Come the 2020 season, Nix transitioned to the role of the Rebels’ wide receivers coach and immediately helped produce an all-American receiver in Elijah Moore, who led the nation in receiving yards per game, receptions per game and was named a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, which is given to the best receiver in college football.

In 2021, Nix mentored Dontario Drummond, who became Ole Miss’ sixth ever receiver to notch a 1,000-yard season.

When Nix arrives to Auburn, his primary role will be coaching the Tigers’ running back room. However, thanks to his four years of experience as Ole Miss’ wide receivers coach, Nix could have a hand in assisting Auburn wide receiver coach Marcus Davis, who just saw the Tigers’ room of receivers get a massive boost in the signing of four blue-chip receivers.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Auburn's offensive staff is set for 2024. What's the final product look like?

Published: Jan. 17, 2024, 3:29 p.m.

5–6 minutes

Auburn Football

Hugh Freeze and Auburn’s offensive staff is set for 2024. Here’s a look at the final product

Auburn football head coach Hugh Freeze on the sideline during the first half of an NCAA football game against Mississippi Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023 in Auburn, Ala. (AL.com Photo/Stew Milne)Stew Milne

The first shoe dropped on Jan. 5 as Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze announced he wouldn’t be retaining Philip Montgomery, who served as Auburn’s offensive coordinator for the 2023 season.

However, Montgomery’s exit wouldn’t be the only staff change Auburn’s offense saw as associate head coach and running backs coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams abruptly announced his plans to resign on Jan. 11, forcing Freeze to do a bit more restructuring as it pertains to the Tigers’ offensive coaching staff.

And as of Wednesday afternoon, barring any unexpected changes, Freeze has filled out his offensive coaching staff for his second season at Auburn.

More: A timeline of all of Auburn football’s staff changes

Here’s a look at the final product:

Offensive coordinator — Derrick Nix

Auburn announced the hiring of former Ole Miss associate head coach, wide receivers coach and running backs coach Derrick Nix on Jan. 17.

Nix comes to The Plains after spending the past 16 seasons at Ole Miss, which included five seasons under Freeze, who served as Ole Miss’ head coach from 2012-16.

Quarterbacks coach — Kent Austin

Kent Austin was elevated to the role of quarterbacks coach on Jan. 17 after serving as Auburn’s special assistant to the head coach and quality control in 2023.

Prior to taking his off-the-field role at Auburn last season, Austin served as Liberty’s co-offensive coordinator and quarterback’s coach under Freeze. Austin also spent two seasons serving as Ole Miss’ offensive coordinator 2008-09, as well as coaching stints in the Canadian Football League.

Austin spent his college playing career at Ole Miss, where he quarterbacked the Rebels in the 1980s and is recognized as one of the program’s leading passers behind the likes of Eli Manning and Bo Wallace.

Running backs coach — Derrick Nix

With the resignation of Cadillac Williams, Auburn also needed someone to coach running backs.

Fortunately for the Tigers, Nix comes to Auburn having spent 12 years coaching running backs at Ole Miss, as well as a successful running back career at Southern Miss.

At Southern Miss, Nix became the first Golden Eagle to notch 1,000 rushing yards in each of his freshman and sophomore campaigns and is the only Southern Miss and Conference USA player to have rushed for 1,000-plus yards in three seasons.

Wide receivers coach — Marcus Davis

Auburn wide receivers coach Marcus Davis remained cemented in his current post as wide receivers coach throughout the Tigers’ staff shakeup.

Davis, a former Auburn wide receiver himself, returned to his alma mater in December of 2022 as a part of Freeze’s inaugural staff at Auburn. Before his return to The Plains, Davis spent stints coaching receivers at Georgia Southern, Hawaii and Florida State.

Davis played for Auburn from 2013-16 and helped the Tigers capture an SEC title and make an appearance in the BCS National Championship as a freshman.

Tight ends coach — Ben Aigamaua

Ben Aigamaua was also brought on as a member of Freeze’s inaugural staff at Auburn to serve as the Tigers’ tight ends coach. Aigamaua tagged along with Freeze after serving as Liberty’s tight ends coach for four seasons.

Before his time at Liberty, Aigamaua spent seven years at Ole Miss and held a number of roles including graduate assistant, offensive analyst and assistant athletic director of community relations. Freeze was the head coach at Ole Miss during Aigamaua’s first five seasons in Oxford.

Aigamaua spent his playing career on the defensive line at Lambuth and played under Freeze for two seasons when he was head coach.

Offensive line coach — Jake Thornton

Coaching Auburn’s guys along the offensive front is Jake Thornton, who was brought to Auburn as part of Freeze’s first coaching staff in December of 2022.

Thornton’s jump to Auburn came after spending two seasons at Ole Miss — also as the Rebels’ offensive line coach.

Thornton also spent time at Gardner-Webb and Tennessee Tech, as well as serving as an offensive line graduate assistant with Alabama’s national championship-winning team in 2017.

After getting his start in Division II football, Thornton made the jump to Division I and played three seasons at Western Carolina.

al.com

With the hire of Derrick Nix, who will call plays for Auburn, and why does it matter?

Updated: Jan. 17, 2024, 9:39 a.m.|Published: Jan. 17, 2024, 9:31 a.m.

4–5 minutes

COLLEGE STATION, TX - OCTOBER 29: Ole Miss Rebels assistant coach Derrick Nix gives instructions during the college football game featuring the Ole Miss Rebels and the Texas A&M Aggies on October 29, 2022 at Kyle Field in College Station, TX.Photo by John Rivera/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Derrick Nix’s contract at Ole Miss leaves a very specific provision when looking toward whatever his next job might have been.

His buyout clause states that Nix would owe 100% of his annual salary — which is $625,000 — as a payment to Ole Miss in order to breach his contract and leave for another job, with one exception. Should Nix leave for a “full-time head football coach position or primary offensive/defensive coordinator position with primary play-calling duties” at another school? Then he is exempt from paying the fee.

That makes the wording of an Ole Miss letter posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Wednesday morning to be quite notable.

“Acknowledging the opportunity to become a first-time playcaller with full-time playcalling duties as Offensive Coordinator at Auburn University,” the letter signed by Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin states.

Auburn is yet to announce the hire of Nix on its end, but should the letter’s mention of playcalling duties in fact be Auburn’s plan, then Nix will not owe his buyout.

But how exactly will the play-calling job to shake out?

Multiple reports during the offseason have stated Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze plans to take much more involvement in the offense for the 2024 season and that would include calling plays, something he did not do primarily in 2023.

Freeze had been the play-caller as the head coach at Arkansas State, Ole Miss and Liberty. But in his first year at Auburn, Freeze passed off those duties to offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, a former head coach at Tulsa, so he could put his effort into recruiting.

Auburn proceeded to have a bottom 10 passing offense in the country and Montgomery was fired after the 2024 season.

Reports Freeze would return to playcalling duties from there made sense. Throughout the 2023 season, Freeze discussed how difficult it was for him to give up the play-calling role, and in turn, it was clear Freeze progressively took on more responsibility in the offense as the year went on.

The reports suggesting Freeze would return to play-calling duties in 2024 would signify that bigger role in the offense going forward and less time spent recruiting. That seemed to line up with hiring someone like Nix, who has never called plays before.

Of course, that conflicts with the message from Ole Miss’ statement.

The play-calling plan is not quite clear. It could be Freeze. It could be Nix. More likely, it will be both.

While Montgomery officially was the play-caller in 2023, Freeze frequently mentioned himself and offensive line coach Jake Thornton as having a role in calling plays. Thornton is still at Auburn and Freeze regardless will have a larger role in the offense next season.

It seems unlikely, too, that Freeze would entirely hand over play-calling duties to someone who has never called plays before.

In the short term, Auburn and Nix may have at least saved themselves quite a chunk of change based on the wording of the letter Kiffin signed. How that actually will be resolved on the field in 2024? That will be answered in time.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com