Auburn Hires Derrick Nix as OC

W.E.D

If I am not mistaken this is who CHF wanted last year but loopholes prevented it. So we had to settle for CPM which obviously didn’t work out. I think there will be a huge difference with our offensive production next season. This hire adds a couple of wins, IMO!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know enough about Nix to personally know if it is a good hire or not for OC.  He seems a good judge of talent based on looking at the Ole Miss WR room.  They were also well coached and executed well. There seems to be a lot of support for him from this board, for OC role, so I'll go with that.  Shame they didn't do it last year if it was really on the table.  

• Like 2

IMHO Nix is an incredible talent. Unlike our last 5 OCs, he's also unlikely to sit back and contemplate his belly button (Bobo, Kiessau, Morris) or suffer paralysis by analysis for fear of overstepping his HCs offensive reputation (Montgomery, Lashlee).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

If I am not mistaken this is who CHF wanted last year but loopholes prevented it. So we had to settle for CPM which obviously didn’t work out. I think there will be a huge difference with our offensive production next season. This hire adds a couple of wins, IMO!

That is definitely a unique perspective…

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lane is a bitch 

He's been a dick. People were taking up for him a year or so ago. Never liked him

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Will he bring any talented receivers with him is what I want to know 

Ryan Williams

• Like 3

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not buying into anything.  You're a donor who I assume hasn't been banned from the donor forum, go read post a year ago discussing Nix

That was a year ago. Don’t care what was written or said about the situation. 

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

That is definitely a unique perspective…

Unique? I don’t think I’m the only one 

if lane was made our head coach i would support him but i care little for him. i have not forgotten him running his mouth about us when he was at USC. he made his bones there by cheating above and beyond the other cheaters.

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not going to lie, I find the Lane post funny 

On a related note, have any of the beat writers or podcasters explained why he keeps on bringing up the play calling thing? I’ve read the explanation here, but I would imagine most people are unaware 

IMG_6433.gif

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

IMG_6433.gif

al.com

Hugh Freeze, Auburn fills out offensive staff with additions of Derrick Nix, Kent Austin

Updated: Jan. 17, 2024, 3:03 p.m.|Published: Jan. 17, 2024, 2:25 p.m.

5–7 minutes

A transparent Hugh Freeze shares insight into his play calling against Mississippi State.

In a Wednesday afternoon press release, Auburn officially announced the hire of Derrick Nix as the new offensive coordinator and the promotion of former special assistant to the head coach Kent Austin as the quarterbacks coach.

“I’m very excited for this opportunity at Auburn and to get back on staff with Coach Freeze. Having worked with him before, I have a strong understanding of what he wants offensively as well as culture wise,” Nix said in the release. “Fundamentally, we want to be a fast, physical and fearless offensive scoring unit. I’m also looking forward to rejoining Coach Austin after working with him at Ole Miss for two years. Growing up in the state of Alabama, I understand what Auburn is about. I have vivid memories as a kid following the likes of Bo Jackson, Stan White and the undefeated team in 1993. I’m excited to be a part of the rich tradition of Auburn football and can’t wait to get started.”

The hirings officially complete Auburn’s offensive staff after the firing of former offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Philip Montgomery as well as the resignation of former running backs coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams.

“I’m really excited to reunite with Derrick here at Auburn,” head coach Hugh Freeze said. “He is an outstanding recruiter and coach who has nearly two decades of experience in the Southeastern Conference. Derrick knows the level of excellence required to be successful in this league and I know he’s looking forward to the opportunity to help develop a winning program at Auburn.”

Ole Miss first broke the news Nix’s move to Auburn with a letter signed by head coach Lane Kiffin.

Nix had been at Ole Miss since 2008 in various roles including running backs coach, wide receivers coach and associate head coach. Nix was the running backs coach during Freeze’s tenure as the head coach in Oxford.

Austin was Freeze’s co-offensive coordinator at Liberty from 2019-2022. He was also the offensive coordinator at Ole Miss from 2008-2009 — with Nix on his staff.

“I feel very honored and blessed to be given this new position and am thankful for the trust Coach Freeze has placed with me to develop our quarterbacks at Auburn,” Austin said in the release.

The move of Austin into the quarterbacks coach role has long been expected and was initially reported shortly by 247Sports after Montgomery was fired.

In advance of the Music City Bowl, quarterback Payton Thorne made a revealing comment when asked how he was planning to develop going into 2024 and mentioned Freeze and Austin as the coaches helping him with his technique. He did not mention Montgomery.

What remains unclear is who will call plays for Auburn next season.

Multiple reports have suggested Freeze plays to take over play calling duties for 2024.

That comes after at SEC Media Days before the 2023 season, Freeze said he was putting Montgomery in charge of play calling because he no longer felt like the top-level play-caller he may have once been while being the head coach at Ole Miss or Liberty.

He hired Montgomery to have someone he could pass off the focus of the offense to while he focused on recruiting and building Auburn’s roster for the future. It didn’t work. Montgomery’s offense was in the bottom 10 nationally in passing yards per game in 2023.

Freeze maintained throughout the year that he was still involved in the offense and could take over play calling if he felt he had the hot hand. It was Freeze who called the play which led to a game-winning touchdown pass to tight end Rivaldo Fairweather against Cal to save Auburn on a day where it struggled mightily. It was Freeze who initiated a turnaround of the offense when he “put his foot down” after four consecutive SEC losses.

Freeze made it clear it bothered him to no longer be in complete charge of the offense. It certainly seemed to itch him that he wasn’t calling more plays. But when he stepped in to take more of a role later in this season, Freeze said he felt he wasn’t able to put the focus he wanted into recruiting.

Should he in fact take on play calling duties, he’ll no longer have to play that juggling act anymore and the recruiting responsibility will be spread across more shoulders. Having now landed a top-10 recruiting class for the 2024 cycle and off to a quick start in the 2025 class, Freeze is going to shift his focus to the roster he already has going into next season.

But Nix’s Ole Miss contract includes a clause that he does not owe a buyout if he leaves for a head coach or coordinator job where he is calling plays. The letter Ole Miss posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, described Nix as having a “full-time” play calling duty.

Nix has not called plays before.

Auburn’s press release did not discuss play-calling.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You found the lane post funny…. I mean I shouldn’t be suprised. So painfully on brand for you. The guy who just wouldn’t go to Isaac okoro games!!! 🤬😡

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

You found the lane post funny…. I mean I shouldn’t be suprised. So painfully on brand for you. The guy who just wouldn’t go to Isaac okoro games!!! 🤬😡

I think it’s important to be able to step back and be unbiased whenever possible…Lane is very good at trolling from an unbiased POV imo 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think it’s important to be able to step back and be unbiased whenever possible…Lane is very good at trolling from an unbiased POV imo 

It’s pretty sad a 50 year old man is so desperate for attention on social media. He’s the face of a university and a program ffs. I hope freeze keeps ignoring him and never responds directly.

7 hours ago, toddc said:

Nix has never called plays, but his background on the offensive side combined with an impressive reputation as a recruiter made him a prime target. S

So he has never called plays before.  I get he is a recruiting stud.

What makes us think he helps us with actual gameday decision making and preparation enough to be named OC?

Not being a debbie downer, just ignorant.

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s pretty sad a 50 year old man is so desperate for attention on social media. He’s the face of a university and a program ffs. I hope freeze keeps ignoring him and never responds directly.

That may be the case but he’s living a life 95% of folks would take and understands he provides entertainment being a troll. I respect people doing the extra to make the sport fun and add more juice to it. 

edit: by the way, this university’s face is Hugh Freeze. I don’t see how it’d be possible to say Lane is any worse than THAT

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That may be the case but he’s living a life 95% of folks would take and understands he provides entertainment being a troll. I respect people doing the extra to make the sport fun and add more juice to it. 

edit: by the way, this university’s face is Hugh Freeze. I don’t see how it’d be possible to say Lane is any worse than THAT

What other head coach at a major university for football or basketball is constantly trolling on social media? I can’t think of any off the top of my head besides lane. Man **** that guy. Glad we stole his best recruiter from him. Maybe he will keep on spamming that same article on twitter and you can keep being a fan boy and white knighting for him and like his tweets. 

freeze is at a big boy university now. He has toned down the twitter nonsense since he got here besides the standard recruiting stuff.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lane is a bitch 

After finally reading all of this, holy crap lane is a tool. So much unprofessionalism, and people think it is funny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phew, glad to get this done with. Seems like a big upgrade. Combine with getting Kite and it's been a damn good week!

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Combine with getting Kite and it's been a damn good week!

You know something here? Whatchu talking bout Willis?!?