Auburn Hires Derrick Nix as OC

W.E.D

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lane is a bitch 

Never had a problem with Lane like most on here did. Now I do. Can't wait to humiliate him every year

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Nix will call the plays that Hugh tells him to call - that’s how this will work. And I hope we beat the brains out of Ole Miss in Oxford next year. It’s time to be relentless and petty right back. 

Jay Tate doesn't seem to think it will have to be that complicated.  Such a case is hard to prove and it's most likely just a bunch of petty bull**** from Lane.  He'll tweet a bit about it and be snarky and then it'll disappear.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Then no idea why that would’ve held it up. That clause is so easy to get around legally. 

Idk...it is what it is.  Hugh now has his #1 guy from last year. Let's see a competent offense

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Never had a problem with Lane like most on here did. Now I do. Can't wait to humiliate him every year

Shame we don't play him in 24. But the next time we do I'd expect us to be pretty damn good

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Shame we don't play him in 24. But the next time we do I'd expect us to be pretty damn good

Oh I didn't even know that. Yeah, I expect the same

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That would be a violation of Nix’s buyout with Ole Miss.

Please keep up

I think there are a number of rather minor ways to work around that.  And Auburn's action indicate, to me, a couple of things...

1.  They don't think OM has a high chance of success if they decide to pursue something on this contract clause.

2.  In the event #1 turns out not to be true, they don't give a s***.  They'll either pay the buyout or they'll negotiate a settlement for something less.  

Either way the end result doesn't change.  Nix is leaving OM and will be on staff at Auburn and Hugh will call plays.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If such a clause even exists there are more ways around it than we can even imagine. Were it that binding, AU would have looked elsewhere to fill the position.

Just create a new title for him and be done. “ Associate Director of Offense Operations” 😂

• Like 2

does anyone care to say why Nix is so highly regarded? i admit to knowing very little of him but being at ol miss for sixteen years does nothing for me. why has he not been swooped up by the big boys? i am not trying to down Nx i just do notget it.

Edited by aubiefifty

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think there are a number of rather minor ways to work around that.  And Auburn's action indicate, to me, a couple of things...

1.  They don't think OM has a high chance of success if they decide to pursue something on this contract clause.

2.  In the event #1 turns out not to be true, they don't give a s***.  They'll either pay the buyout or they'll negotiate a settlement for something less.  

Either way the end result doesn't change.  Nix is leaving OM and will be on staff at Auburn and Hugh will call plays.

And Lane the Twitter troll will move on to new and exciting pettiness.

• Haha 1

Just now, TexasTiger said:

And Lane the Twitter troll will move on to new and exciting pettiness.

i have mixed felling about him. but i was told by bama fans supposedly in the know he was banging coeds and got run off. maybe he has straightened up but to me that is far worse than folks want to get on freeze for.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lane is a bitch 

Yeah, but he's our bitch.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, gman87 said:

Yeah, but he's our bitch.

Well, not yet.  But hopefully in 25 or 26 we get our place back as dominating them.  Been an embarrassing run

31 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Well, except AU no longer plays them every year…

21 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have mixed felling about him. but i was told by bama fans supposedly in the know he was banging coeds and got run off. maybe he has straightened up but to me that is far worse than folks want to get on freeze for.

Hhhmm, well Fifty, banging Coeds vs hiring hookers; that's like trying to separate fly s*** from pepper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Just create a new title for him and be done. “ Associate Director of Offense Operations” 😂

Exactly! Make his official title “play caller” and let him coach RBs. 

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Lane is lane. It’s actually refreshing to an extent and keeps things interesting. Certainly glad to have Nix on the staff. I can’t imagine the talent that will be brought to the plains. 

I appreciate a good troll but lately Lane has been an overkill. I’m more of a Spurrier guy but Kiffin makes me chuckle especially knowing he will never beat elite, championship level teams like Georgia or Saban Bama. 

• Like 2

Funny how he mentions Ole Miss has best receiver room in the country.  

Considering our WR recruiting class, I hope this is used as motivation for the Freeze Four (or Five).

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

I appreciate a good troll but lately Lane has been an overkill. I’m more of a Spurrier guy but Kiffin makes me chuckle especially knowing he will never beat elite, championship level teams like Georgia or Saban Bama. 

I agree 100%. He needs to beat a good powerhouse team, then he can turn up the troll

• Like 1

I've got to wonder to what extent, if any, the "Play Caller" clause can be enforced.  I would think that a new OC with play calling duties wouldn't just be turned loose to dial up all the plays from day 1.  I would think there may be a mentorship involved to bring Nix up to speed on HF's system, and the head coach always reserves the right to make the final call on any play.  Also, I don't see how anyone could possibly know, or prove to what extent Nix would be calling the plays.  Do they expect to walk into the stadium/press box on game days and closely monitor what Nix says and does?  Even if the clause is enforceable, it's only forceable to the extent that Ole Miss is willing to ante up the money to pursue legal action to collect the $650k buyout.  The whole thing sounds kind of ridiculous to me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I've got to wonder to what extent, if any, the "Play Caller" clause can be enforced.  I would think that a new OC with play calling duties wouldn't just be turned loose to dial up all the plays from day 1.  I would think there may be a mentorship involved to bring Nix up to speed on HF's system, and the head coach always reserves the right to make the final call on any play.  Also, I don't see how anyone could possibly know, or prove to what extent Nix would be calling the plays.  Do they expect to walk into the stadium/press box on game days and closely monitor what Nix says and does?  Even if the clause is enforceable, it's only forceable to the extent that Ole Miss is willing to ante up the money to pursue legal action to collect the $650k buyout.  The whole thing sounds kind of ridiculous to me!

You can't compel someone's future employer to do something via a non-compete.  About all you can do is protect a legitimate business interest, such as a trade secret or customer relationship.  All this is just Lane being Lane. He's found a sore so he's picking at it in the media.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The thing about it if u take CHF at his word he will be calling the plays so not sure how much impact Nix will have on the offense outside of coaching the running backs

Edited by e808

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

The thing about it if u take CHF at his word he will be calling the plays so not sure how much impact Nix will have on the offense outside of coaching the running backs

He will bring intimate knowledge of Kiffin system to the table though (WR routes and such). Freeze might want to incorporate some of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Lane, Nix, or WED? Lol

2 out of 3. Not Lane. 

• Like 3