Game Thread: SB vs Virginia Tech

So glad softball finally got a third paid assistant and we don’t go hire a hitting coach! 

Grein strikes out 12…she was a 5 ERA pitcher last year. Pitiful. 

Same ole Same ole with Dean year in and year out.

We just cannot hit against quality opponents.

We would have lost several more games than we did last year, if it wasn't for Penta shutting down teams.

Long, frustrating season ahead looks like.

29 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Did anybody score at all?

From the VT web site: https://hokiesports.com/news/2024/2/9/softball-greins-12-strikeout-showing-leads-virginia-tech-past-auburn-8-1.aspx

VT got HR in 5th and then in 8th Penta allowed 2 singles plus there was an AU error and score.  Lowe gave up bases loaded HR (some unearned from Penta).  You get the picture.    Notice that Camron Fagan of the famed Fagan sisters still playing for VT (senior).  

Not that it should make anyone feel any better; VT defeated Illinois 18 - 1 earlier today.

Edited by slot canyon

Same crap different year.  Can't score against any pitching with a pulse. Then lose it when Penta gets relieved. Gosh Dean sucks. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile Bri has been a doubles machine at Arky this year so far.  Sigh. 

I want to hear everyone’s thoughts on today’s game. 

I’m pissed that it looks like we are in for another long season offensively. Lowe worries me because I was hoping she would be closer to her freshman self, that was obviously not the case. 

We had a chance to win the VT game. I hate that it will go down as 8-1, because it was a lot closer than that. 

Stupid coaching calls again from Dean/Lenti. (Ex: Packer bunting on 2-0 pitch with runners at first and second and two outs). 

I HATED THE LINEUP!!

- Nelia Peralta is our best bat. BUT SHE IS NOT A LEADOFF. she is not fast enough to be one. 
(McCrary should also NOT be two-hole. She may be slower than Peralta). 

- No Abbey Smith or Rose Roach is questionable. 
- Icess Tresvik was the star today in my books, she looked really good in all of her ABs. 
- I would pencil in Chalea Clemmons as a starter tomorrow.

Just overall frustration. We NEED to beat VT tomorrow, it’s a must win. 

There is about a 99% chance we see Lemley. i would pitch Penta again, she’s the only chance we got.

• Like 1

Well, we wanted tougher scheduling and we got it.  As Big Fat said above, it was a lot closer game than the score.  I was surprised that Roach didn't play.  She was the first sub in the infield all last year.  I also expected to see Smith, but maybe her bat isn't strong enough.  The batting outlook is gloomy, though.  Belmont got more hits than we did.  Consider that we lost Ellis, Garcia, and Denver Bryant, plus McCondichie.  I will be very surprised if we do as well as last year.

Game 2 against Hokies:

Got bases loaded in first but can't score with 2 force outs at home and a fly out to center.  

2nd inning with a homer to LF by McCrary. Now a double by the freshman Chalie Clemons. And a walk.  So 2 on and 1 out in bottom 3rd.

Double play to 3rd by Lech. Heading to the 4th. Aub 1-0

Edited by AUBwins

Packer leads 4th with a walk

Steals 2nd easily despite a good throw. 

Takes 3rd on the ground out by the 3rd baseman to first. 

2 outs for Peralta.  

Long fly out to CF. No runs.  Going to 5th.

Took a break to see we didn't show up to play basketball.  Now I'm back.  Auburn gave up 3 runs in 5th and now we have 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.  The out was primarily Dean fault for subbing Clemons out only to bring her back in with the runners advancing on wild throw.  Talking about throwing the rhythm off for Clemons. 

Auburn needs a freaking hit with RISP. 0-7 so far today. 

Also why can't we just learn to hit the gaps? We only hit singles or HRs. Never doubles.