Most important Game ever?

• Thanks 1

I agree that getting the game to Auburn was a most important accomplishment. As far as the game itself, the 1982 Iron Bowl that broke bammer's nine-year strangle hold should be considered. Also, the 2010 National Championship win over Oregon was sort of important.

• Like 6

I don't disagree at all Mikey. But I was at the 89 game and saw what it meant to the AU grads and my Dad.  So I'll always be partial to that one.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I don't disagree at all Mikey. But I was at the 89 game and saw what it meant to the AU grads and my Dad.  So I'll always be partial to that one.

those bastids said they would NEVER play a game in Auburn. both games are close but this one means more to me. they thought they were better and got their asses handed to them. and Dye made that happen.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I knew the answer to this one before I even opened the thread.  It took us a long time to get some of our rivals to play us in Auburn regularly, and Alabama was the last domino to fall.  There was no way in hell I was selling my ticket to that game, because I was fully aware of the history being made.  I didn't even try to drive anywhere after about Wednesday of that week because of all the people in town that just wanted to be a part of the environment.  It felt vitally important to win this particular game, even though getting the game on campus was the big-picture victory.  That '89 team might not have been our most talented group, but they saved their best for last and are probably my favorite team of my years at AU.

• Like 3

bamr finally visiting Auburn was big. For a state wide point of view

But IMO

1983 Auburn 13 Georgia 7 was more important as this win put Auburn on the national map, after being a non factor since 1974. Georgia had won the SEC in '80, '81, '82. With a 33 and 3 record over those 3 years. And was 9-0 entering this game against Auburn. The win ended Georgia's 24 game home winning streak

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

My mother designed the cover of the iconic ‘89 game program. She won several national awards. 

I absolutely love this! how awesome!

• Thanks 1

This should not be a debate.  Wins and losses aside, this was huge in the status of Auburn University athletics.  I don’t give a damn about any Georgia 1983 win. Anyone who says differently is an idiot. 

2 hours ago, NCAubs said:

This should not be a debate.  Wins and losses aside, this was huge in the status of Auburn University athletics.  I don’t give a damn about any Georgia 1983 win. Anyone who says differently is an idiot. 

Getting the game moved to Auburn every other year was huge. As for the game itself, which was the question, there are a number of games that have been as or more important.

• Like 1

I was still in school in 89 and no way was I going to miss that. That was the final nail in the bammer coffin. From then on it was equal footing. No more legion field hocus pocus neutral site BS!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CCTAU said:

I was still in school in 89 and no way was I going to miss that. That was the final nail in the bammer coffin. From then on it was equal footing. No more legion field hocus pocus neutral site BS!

I still have my *Just another neutral site* sweatshirt from Tiger Rags.  I had season tickets at the time and this game was the reason I had them.  I lived in NC at the time (still do) and still felt it was worth having them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NCAubs said:

um define idiot.........yes i am stirring the pot! grins