Desantis

I finally started seeing maga as nuts 4 months ago when one fact became obvious: Desantis was going to get crushed. I can see that Trump is a bigger personality than him, but he would have been infinitely more successful in passing long term legislation because he doesn’t cause the same primal reaction as trump. Dems (and many independents and even historical republicans) hate maga ideology but it’s not … personal.  Just a difference of opinion. They don’t see Desantis as corrupt, autocratic, divisive, ect.  No 1/6, no legal stuff, no crazy or brown shirts brand. “Practical”, legitimate, and purely about issues.  Plus he polled better against Biden than Trump.

Personally I wanted Haley (a “neocon” and more moderate) but  can see why she didn’t make the maga cut - but can someone convince me there is something rational about maga? Because when self proclaimed good people passed on Desantis and went overwhelmingly for a divisive, doomed to years of chaos and childish silliness personality (who only gets 4 years, not potentially 8 ) - imo it completely earned the cult brand.  Maga loves to deflect and hide behind Biden’s flaws - but by passing on Desantis, it’s apparent Biden is not what’s going on here. Am I wrong?

Edited by auburnatl1

59 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I finally started seeing maga as nuts 4 months ago when one fact became obvious: Desantis was going to get crushed. I can see Trump is a bigger personality than him but he would have been more infinitely more successful in passing long term legislation because he doesn’t cause the same primal reaction as trump. Dems (and many independents and even historical republicans) hate maga ideology but it’s not … personal.  Just a difference of opinion. They don’t see Desantis as as corrupt, autocratic, divisive, ect.  No 1/6, no legal stuff, no crazy or brown shirts brand. “Practical”, legitimate, and purely about issues.  Plus he polled better against Biden than Trump.

Personally I wanted Haley (a “neocon” and more moderate) but  can see why she didn’t make the maga cut - but can someone convince me there is something rational about maga? Because when self proclaimed good people passed on Desantis and went overwhelmingly for a divisive, doomed to years of chaos and childish silliness personality (who only gets 4 years, not potentially 8 ) - imo it completely earned the cult brand.  Maga loves to deflect and hide behind Biden’s flaws - but by passing on Desantis, it’s apparent Biden is not what’s going on here. Am I wrong?

The only difference between Trump and DeSantis is that while Trump is an evil, narcissistic, demagogue, DeSantis is just an evil demagogue.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The only difference between Trump and DeSantis is that while Trump is an evil, narcissistic, demagogue, DeSantis is just an evil demagogue.

I understand you don’t like Desantis’s position but the point was that maga could have had the full ideology of Trump, more electable, huge legislative advantages,  and without the countless headaches -> and they passed. All the coffee taste without the caffeine side effects.

Why?

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I understand you don’t like Desantis’s position but the point was that maga could have had the full ideology of Trump, more electable, huge legislative advantages,  and without the c ountless headaches -> and they passed. All the coffee taste without the caffeine side effects.

Why?

MAGA doesn't think or reason.  MAGA feels.  It's an emotion-driven movement. They would never swap their "redeemer" for a substitute based on mere logic or strategy.

(Besides, I'm not even sure what Trump's "ideology" is, besides self-promotion and grift.)

4 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I finally started seeing maga as nuts 4 months ago when one fact became obvious: Desantis was going to get crushed. I can see Trump is a bigger personality than him but he would have been more infinitely more successful in passing long term legislation because he doesn’t cause the same primal reaction as trump. Dems (and many independents and even historical republicans) hate maga ideology but it’s not … personal.  Just a difference of opinion. They don’t see Desantis as as corrupt, autocratic, divisive, ect.  No 1/6, no legal stuff, no crazy or brown shirts brand. “Practical”, legitimate, and purely about issues.  Plus he polled better against Biden than Trump.

Nope, you're not wrong. 

The national GOP wants nothing to do with a candidate that can actually get things done. They're happy being controlled opposition that is more than happy to bitch about problems, but not accomplish anything meaningful.

In one election cycle, DeSantis went from a very narrow win in 2018 to a nearly 20% margin of victory in 2022, winning 62 of 67 counties, including Miami-Dade and Palm Beach, the latter of which hadn't been won by a Republican since 1986. That's doing work.

GOP primary voters said "Nah, we're good with Trump", which tells me that there is an unquantifiably large amount of derp present.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

MAGA doesn't think or reason.  MAGA feels.  It's an emotion-driven movement. 

So it’s like Democrats?

• Facepalm 3

17 hours ago, NCAubs said:

So it’s like Democrats?

:-\ 

Democrats are motivated by rational thinking.  They believe in policy and the responsibility to govern. They believe government actually can - and should - work.  They believe in science as well as actually addressing problems instead of sticking their head in the sand and denying them.

Republicans can't govern even if they wanted to, which they don't. 

Republicans aren't interested in policy - as evidenced by their lack of a platform in the last two elections, as well as the current congressional session. They'd just as soon as soon see the government fail and encourage that failure, as evidenced by our regular government shut-down crises.  (They are apparently too stupid to appreciate the consequences of such failure.)

They are motivated by the emotions of fear and loathing as evidenced by Trump's campaign speeches.  It's lynch mob mentality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

:-\ 

Democrats are motivated by rational thinking.  

You lost me there.  I loathe both parties but if you think Democrats are not emotionally based, you’re an idiot. 

• Dislike 2

17 hours ago, NCAubs said:

You lost me there.  I loathe both parties but if you think Democrats are not emotionally based, you’re an idiot. 

I didn't say that. 

I said they are motivated by policy and the belief that government actually can work. You can label that as emotional if you wish.  But it's a more positive philosophy than the Republican view of government, which is ultimately negative, if not nihilistic.

Edited by homersapien

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I didn't say that. 

I said they are motivated by policy and the belief that government actually can work. You can label that as emotional if you wish.  But it's a more positive philosophy than the Republican view of government, which is ultimately negative, if not nihilistic.

The issue I have with many Dems is that they believe gov is the solution to too many problems.  Safety nets become an epic over controlled nanny state. The issue I have with maga is that they’re so negative and cynical about gov (hell any institution/science/doctors/ect for that matter) that no problem except those that I can see and touch (or Fox tells me) exist -   it’s all bad people coming to take my rights, stuff, penis, who knows.  Just lay mine fields across the border  and screw anybody who thinks differently than me.

Thats the reason there is a fading idea called…. moderation. Both sides have a point, both sides are over compensating,. Do the marriage thing and compromise.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

On 3/12/2024 at 1:10 PM, auburnatl1 said:

I finally started seeing maga as nuts 4 months ago when one fact became obvious: Desantis was going to get crushed. I can see that Trump is a bigger personality than him, but he would have been infinitely more successful in passing long term legislation because he doesn’t cause the same primal reaction as trump. Dems (and many independents and even historical republicans) hate maga ideology but it’s not … personal.  Just a difference of opinion. They don’t see Desantis as corrupt, autocratic, divisive, ect.  No 1/6, no legal stuff, no crazy or brown shirts brand. “Practical”, legitimate, and purely about issues.  Plus he polled better against Biden than Trump.

DeSantis has shown one trait that is more maga worthy than other candidates.  In Florida, he is known to be vindictive and to make things personal.  Nikki Haley is not that kind of politician and that is why so many moderates supported her.  I would have voted for Haley in November.  I voted for her Tuesday in Georgia's primary.