I understand the massive scale of the SpaceX rocket, but I'm skeptical of the "failure is success" talk & costs.

I could be wrong, but we aren't flush with extra money as a nation.  I can't help but to immediately think of the millions that struggle to find healthcare, the homeless problems, our lack of mental health facilities, and a long list of other issues that we struggle to find funds to address.  Real people with real problems.  I'm not against space exploration.  I simply question whether the cost is worth the benefits.  What are your thoughts?

An engine that was capable of producing the energy needed for self propulsion would revolutionize transportation.  That is just one of many scientific/engineering examples that would impact our lives in a meaningful way.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/science/spacex-rocket-explosion-illustrates-elon-musks-successful-failure-formula-2023-04-20/

Edited by AU9377

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

Any  pursuit of manned space exploration is a waste of money, IMO.

I think that is a valid argument, at least until the time comes that we can safely travel at speeds much faster than we currently can.

19 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I think that is a valid argument, at least until the time comes that we can safely travel at speeds much faster than we currently can.

I don't think "warp drives" are in our future. ;)

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I don't think "warp drives" are in our future. ;)

How many problems would it solve if Scotty could  just beam us anywhere at any time? LOL

Just now, AU9377 said:

How many problems would it solve if Scotty could  just beam us anywhere at any time? LOL

Depends on who gets beamed where. ;D

30 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That sure would end the airline industry.

• Like 1