About Chad Baker-Mazara: That's on Coach Pearl

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

When? The 80s?

I would say until the 2010's, for what it is worth.  Produced this bad boy:

Kirby: Pickens picked UGA because "he saw the ability to throw the ball at  our place." - AU Football Forum - AUFAMILY

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I would say until the 2010's, for what it is worth.  Produced this bad boy:

Kirby: Pickens picked UGA because "he saw the ability to throw the ball at  our place." - AU Football Forum - AUFAMILY

And it was called right?

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And it was called right?

Was the foul called or an ejection?  I don't think so.  Targeting did not come into effect until 2013. 

Here is the play.  No foul or ejection after.

Edited by abw0004
  • Thanks 1

When CBM first got thrown out of the game , my first thought was "How juvenile, this could cost AU this  game". I then thought about myself at that age. I got tossed from a football game and baseball game in the same year in high school. May be the record still today. A lot of emotion, adrenaline and testosterone  running through you at that age.

No need for us to be down on him

• Thanks 1

We could make a few free throws and this is all just another part of the story/.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We could make a few free throws and this is all just another part of the story/.

The failures were legion.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:46 PM, KansasTiger said:

Mark me down as needing to see it before I believe it with some of these highly rated incoming freshman. Regardless of what we hear and see in AAU game highlights. I've seen too many Westry's, and Traore's, and Hollaway's and not enough Jabari's.

Imagine how Kentucky people feel.....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Imagine how Kentucky people feel.....

Calipari came out in an interview and pretty much admitted he was going to stop recruiting a ton of freshman.

21 hours ago, Eagle-2 said:

The ejection was warranted. There was nothing pertaining to being part of the game that he did. If he had caught the guy with an elbow on a rebound, or in the paint is one thing. No excuse for throwing an elbow at a guy who is simply running down the court next to you. It was selfish, and stupid. If the uniforms were reversed everyone on here would be agreeing with the call. 

I completely disagree - it’s a flagrant foul, not a flagrant 2. He committed a similar act that the guy did to him on the previous possession that a referee looking right at them did not call. 

Yes, I agree that it was a selfish, stupid play. But to call a guy for a Flagrant 2 when he did not swing at the guy’s head is ridiculous! To eject a player 3 minutes into the first round of the NCAA tournament for elbowing a guy in the chest is ridiculous! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And yes, I agree with the title of the thread, Bruce Pearl should’ve shut this attitude down months ago. Quit trash talking and play basketball. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Calipari came out in an interview and pretty much admitted he was going to stop recruiting a ton of freshman.

Don’t need to with the portal and donors held hostage program commonly known as nil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Exactly! We were up 10 with 6 minutes left. Then yale came down immediately and cut it to 7 when a 24% three point shooter hit a step back contested 3 on the very next possession. It’s fluky stuff like this why we lost. Not CBM getting tossed in the first 5 minutes of the game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Exactly! We were up 10 with 6 minutes left. Then yale came down immediately and cut it to 7 when a 24% three point shooter hit a step back contested 3 on the very next possession. It’s fluky stuff like this why we lost. Not CBM getting tossed in the first 5 minutes of the game.

When a 4 seed loses in the first round, there’s usually more than one reason.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I completely disagree - it’s a flagrant foul, not a flagrant 2. He committed a similar act that the guy did to him on the previous possession that a referee looking right at them did not call. 

Yes, I agree that it was a selfish, stupid play. But to call a guy for a Flagrant 2 when he did not swing at the guy’s head is ridiculous! To eject a player 3 minutes into the first round of the NCAA tournament for elbowing a guy in the chest is ridiculous! 

Not to mention nowhere in the rules it says something being a basketball play.... Sounds like something that may stated in some other rule probably football and people said it on here because it sound good, or a popular poster said it.

Nobody really looked up the actual literature. Giving him a flagrant 2 was ridiculous. Flagrants aren't new to the game, they just added to the rule basically if we don't like the player we have jurisdiction to kick him out.

And our uppity fan base isn't even in an uproar about it..... We get more mad if somebody from bammer pushes us, b or calls us a name...... So frustrating

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Our guards aren't built like that. I think we all knew this though. I didn't think we'd really be put in that situation until the sweet 16 though

Our front court played well. They weren't perfect but they shot well and they defended well. I don't know why we didn't double their guy the last 6 minutes or so. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

When a 4 seed loses in the first round, there’s usually more than one reason.

The bottom line and point I am making is we were up double digits late in the game and choked. CBM ejection had no impact by that point in the outcome of the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The bottom line and point I am making is we were up double digits late in the game and choked. CBM ejection had no impact by that point in the outcome of the game.

That’s a broad statement. What if we’d been up a few more points and they couldn’t close the gap? It’s frankly ridiculous to say losing a starter you rely on for defense and offense had no impact in a two point game- especially when the ejection came with two made free throws and appeared to shift momentum. Bruce disagreed with you. Said it was necessarily a big impact to lose one his best players. Dylan Cardwell disagreed with you.

There’s a large space between saying it was irrelevant or saying it was the primary cause. There’s homers and there’s haters and then there’s those of us in neither camp who understand that losing a top player has a significant impact, but we should have beaten them anyway, even if by less than we ideally should have.

Posted in another thread. My point of view is that the guard play isn't nearly good enough to make a run. Yes CBM 's decision was stupid but he's been doing that all year. It was bound to catch up to him. This guard issue is more than just the Yale game. See below.

In the auburn losses this past year. Top scoring opposing player:

Baylor - J. Walker Guard 28 points, R. Dennis Guard 15 points

App State - M. Tate Guard 18 points, T. Harcum Guard 12 points

Alabama - M. Sears Guard 22 points, R. Griffen Guard 17 points

Miss State - J. Hubbard Guard 17 points

Florida - R. Kugel Guard 22 points, W. Clayton Jr. Guard 20 points, Z. Pullin Guard 19 points

Kentucky - A. Reeves Guard 22 points, A. Thiero Guard 14 points

Tennessee - D Knecht Guard 39 points, Z. Zeigler Guard 17 points

Yale - J. Poulakidas Guard 28 points, A. Mahoney Guard 14 points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Posted in another thread. My point of view is that the guard play isn't nearly good enough to make a run. Yes CBM 's decision was stupid but he's been doing that all year. It was bound to catch up to him. This guard issue is more than just the Yale game. See below.

In the auburn losses this past year. Top scoring opposing player:

Baylor - J. Walker Guard 28 points, R. Dennis Guard 15 points

App State - M. Tate Guard 18 points, T. Harcum Guard 12 points

Alabama - M. Sears Guard 22 points, R. Griffen Guard 17 points

Miss State - J. Hubbard Guard 17 points

Florida - R. Kugel Guard 22 points, W. Clayton Jr. Guard 20 points, Z. Pullin Guard 19 points

Kentucky - A. Reeves Guard 22 points, A. Thiero Guard 14 points

Tennessee - D Knecht Guard 39 points, Z. Zeigler Guard 17 points

Yale - J. Poulakidas Guard 28 points, A. Mahoney Guard 14 points.

Very interesting 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

No its not.  There's nothing in the rule book that says the contact has to be in a certain place to get a Flagrant 2.  That was a Flagrant 2 foul every time.  He looked back to see where he was and delivered the shot.  It was premeditated and entirely intentional and unnecessary.   Flagrant 2 all day long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

What bothered me was that the officials did not back up the video far enough to see the Yale player's slap to CBMs throat.  That Yale player should have received the same penalty as CBM.  Also there were phantom fouls called on Williams and Moore but the replays showed not even a touch.  It was as if the officials were anticipating AU fouls. 

Another type of foul that isn't getting called enough this year is the shove in the back when a player is high in the air going for a rebound.  KY and TA&M did that to AU over and over to Broome but never called.

1 hour ago, BizEagle said:

What bothered me was that the officials did not back up the video far enough to see the Yale player's slap to CBMs throat.  That Yale player should have received the same penalty as CBM.  Also there were phantom fouls called on Williams and Moore but the replays showed not even a touch.  It was as if the officials were anticipating AU fouls. 

Another type of foul that isn't getting called enough this year is the shove in the back when a player is high in the air going for a rebound.  KY and TA&M did that to AU over and over to Broome but never called.

CBM mistake was he retaliated in the open court where it was easily seen. There are other ways to get your shot in without getting caught

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

No its not.  There's nothing in the rule book that says the contact has to be in a certain place to get a Flagrant 2.  That was a Flagrant 2 foul every time.  He looked back to see where he was and delivered the shot.  It was premeditated and entirely intentional and unnecessary.   Flagrant 2 all day long.

It doesn't say anything about premeditated, intentionally, or unnecessary either. 

Unnecessary actually falls under flagrant 1. There is no way in hell that's a legit flagrant 2 call

• Like 2