Norchad Omier transferring

Don't know if we'll be able to get the funds for a caliber of that guy, but he would be giant. They also seem to view Chaney as a starter at this point, so that probably adjusts who they're looking for.

From what I can tell, they haven't pushed for starter level guys in a while 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don't know if we'll be able to get the funds for a caliber of that guy, but he would be giant. They also seem to view Chaney as a starter at this point, so that probably adjusts who they're looking for.

From what I can tell, they haven't pushed for starter level guys in a while 

It seems weird that we haven't "pushed" for starter-level guys.  And thus far, a guy Omier has much greater ability than Chaney.

He is listed as an do not contact transfer. Maybe he knows where he's going or he will contact the schools he's interested in. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

It seems weird that we haven't "pushed" for starter-level guys.  And thus far, a guy Omier has much greater ability than Chaney.

Well, you have a finite amount of money lol. You also have to weigh how much of an improvement that guy would be over your consistency, strong/weak points from last year, etc. Omier is a guy that worked around the rim a lot iirc. Is it worth getting him with a high price tag and the possibility that he overlaps with Broome’s skill set? 

It’s kinda like with the QB position since the offseason. You’d probably need a legit slam dunk to rationalize getting into the potential roster/NIL complications a slam dunk guy could bring. In that instance, they probably can’t afford the receiver/DL depth they’ve recently added if they got a star level prospect.

• Like 2

Pegues/likely back up level player

Denver/Pettiford

CBM/Howard/CMo (?) 

Chaney/backup level guy 

Broome/Dylan 

While that’s a lineup I would like to have another star level talent, if your backup 1 and 4 are really quality (like as good as Tre largely was in that role + Chaney towards the end of the season), that’s already a REALLY solid core. Even if you don’t get some progression from the new guys from last year, which I would at least expect, even with them all being older players. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

So it sounds like we have reached out to him.  I think he could be the X-factor if we can land him.

Yea, I have seen some of his highlights and games, and he’s a perfect fit for Pearl’s system: aggressive, a mismatch for big guys and smaller forwards won’t be able to cover him. He actually has a nice shot. So this is my question for you and others on the board and I don’t mean to ruffle some feather, but why is Chaney a given to be a starter? I think he’s a great backup but I think we are really limiting ourselves at that position instead of getting a bonafide starter like Omier. It’s something that has frustrated me this offseason, penciling in Chaney just because he ended the season being serviceable. Again, I love him as a backup, but in my opinion, in order for Auburn to be elite, we need a 4 that can produce what Williams did. I don’t think Chaney is that and I think Auburn is really cheating themselves out of some great starters.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I can’t start a new thread, but staying on topic about power forwards, Achor Achor from Samford just hit the portal. Any chance Pearl takes a look at him? 

Dear Lord, I hope so! He shot almost 45% from 3 - averaged 16 pts, 6 reb - scored 23 pts, 8 rebs against Kansas in the tournament. Big time want! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I can’t start a new thread, but staying on topic about power forwards, Achor Achor from Samford just hit the portal. Any chance Pearl takes a look at him? 

THIS is who we need

1 minute ago, CameronCrazy said:

Dear Lord, I hope so! He shot almost 45% from 3 - averaged 16 pts, 6 reb - scored 23 pts, 8 rebs against Kansas in the tournament. Big time want! 

Yea, same here. However, looking through other team boards and on twitter, UK might be the leader for him. There’s no concrete information though, just hearsay, as usual.

Kentucky has been dropping the bag to get Pope's first class looking decent. I suppose you could look at that two ways - maybe they're tapped out to where we wouldn't get outbid or the way I think it'd go. I just looked at Achor's Kansas highlights for a reminder and he is of that hyper nimble stretch 5 build that we haven't had in abundance here (Thor probably is the closest I can think of)

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Kentucky has been dropping the bag to get Pope's first class looking decent. I suppose you could look at that two ways - maybe they're tapped out to where we wouldn't get outbid or the way I think it'd go. I just looked at Achor's Kansas highlights for a reminder and he is of that hyper nimble stretch 5 build that we haven't had in abundance here (Thor probably is the closest I can think of)

Exactly. He’s perfect for our system. Again though, UK is selling all out to get Pope top tier recruits. Don’t get me wrong, I actually don’t think he’s a bad coach at all, but I also don’t think he’s a game changer for them. Also, having to build from scratch with players who have never played with each other before is going to take a year. I mean, look at the NBA with their super teams. It took the Heat 2 years before they got a title with James, Bosh and Wade. I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as many people think to just overhaul a roster and think they are going to gel within a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Exactly. He’s perfect for our system. Again though, UK is selling all out to get Pope top tier recruits. Don’t get me wrong, I actually don’t think he’s a bad coach at all, but I also don’t think he’s a game changer for them. Also, having to build from scratch with players who have never played with each other before is going to take a year. I mean, look at the NBA with their super teams. It took the Heat 2 years before they got a title with James, Bosh and Wade. I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as many people think to just overhaul a roster and think they are going to gel within a year.

Yeah, Arkansas the last couple years has been the best reference point to me. A squad with virtually no continuity, all new dudes. And new dudes who are looking to make a mark for the league. It’s almost the same problem as building around one and dones, except you don’t have to deal with the acclimation to the college level 

That type of team looks real good if you can buy in, but if one or two rotation guys are just cancers and torpedo the season, you got a lot of vet guys who are risking their last shot at the league suddenly pissed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah, Arkansas the last couple years has been the best reference point to me. A squad with virtually no continuity, all new dudes. And new dudes who are looking to make a mark for the league. It’s almost the same problem as building around one and dones, except you don’t have to deal with the acclimation to the college level 

That type of team looks real good if you can buy in, but if one or two rotation guys are just cancers and torpedo the season, you got a lot of vet guys who are risking their last shot at the league suddenly pissed.

I agree. Can it work? Yes. But if you look at the best teams in the past few years, there’s a mixture of 4-5 veteran core players, 2-3 portal guys and 1-2 elite high school guys. I think right now Auburn has 1 elite high school guy in Pettiford, we have Jones, Cardwell, Johnson, Moore,  CBM and Broome as the veteran core guys, and Pegues as of our top portal guys. If we can get Duke Miles and another good power forward, Auburn will have one of the most complete rosters in the nation.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Achor Achor - any legit info on this guy, have we reached out to him?

Not that I know of reading from “insiders” on other boards and online. Would be a huge get. As I stated yesterday though, UK believes they are getting him though.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2024 at 2:59 PM, AUSCalum87 said:

I think it depends on what type system is being used. Our system takes awhile due to the defense requirements.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I think it depends on what type system is being used. Our system takes awhile due to the defense requirements.

He would have been a great backup PG. He was the top combo guard left according to On3. He is a veteran as well. He would have made Auburn much better. But now knowing that Auburn has little to no NIL left for basketball, I am expecting Auburn to pursue the D2 and Juco routes for players, unfortunately.

A old friend of ours! 😂😂 had no idea he even had any eligibility left.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A old friend of ours! 😂😂 had no idea he even had any eligibility left.

How old is he?!? I could have sworn he had graduated like 3 years ago. He’s on that Van Wilder track in college 😂🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

How old is he?!? I could have sworn he had graduated like 3 years ago. He’s on that Van Wilder track in college 😂🤣

Looks like he will be a 5th year senior. For some reason I thought he in school longer.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

He would have been a great backup PG. He was the top combo guard left according to On3. He is a veteran as well. He would have made Auburn much better. But now knowing that Auburn has little to no NIL left for basketball, I am expecting Auburn to pursue the D2 and Juco routes for players, unfortunately.

We’ll have the best team we can afford.