Norchad Omier transferring

17 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

He would have been a great backup PG. He was the top combo guard left according to On3. He is a veteran as well. He would have made Auburn much better. But now knowing that Auburn has little to no NIL left for basketball, I am expecting Auburn to pursue the D2 and Juco routes for players, unfortunately.

How do you know this? I'd like to see a link to each schools' pot of gold and how much is in it for the various sports.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How do you know this? I'd like to see a link to each schools' pot of gold and how much is in it for the various sports.

From Auburn beat writers and other “insiders” online. They have repeatedly said that getting Broome to come back was a huge cut in the NIL for basketball and it’s why we can’t really attract more quality players. Also, just looking at how other teams in the SEC are stacking up their rosters compared to ours and it’s clear that we are very limited in NIL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

From Auburn beat writers and other “insiders” online. They have repeatedly said that getting Broome to come back was a huge cut in the NIL for basketball and it’s why we can’t really attract more quality players. Also, just looking at how other teams in the SEC are stacking up their rosters compared to ours and it’s clear that we are very limited in NIL.

In other words, a semi-educated guess. I don't put too much credence in beat writers and the like.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In other words, a semi-educated guess. I don't put too much credence in beat writers and the like.

Oh no, I don’t really as well. Honestly, I think Auburn might have the worst “insiders” of the schools. I can’t count how many times we have had “silent commits” and then we get spurned and it was because “a big surprise “ 🤣. But as for the NIL for basketball, again, just reading the tea leaves and looking at facts. Since 2021, look at the type of players we have gotten in the portal and overall talent. Outside of Broome, Aden, Kessler and Jabari, we have had severe talent deficiencies. And Aden was a bust for us and Broome has been developed into an All American since he has been here. And then you look at our rivals who consistently get top 20-30 portal players along with elite high school talent and you can just see that Auburn doesn’t have the NIL to compete with our rivals. Pearl has for the most part overachieved in results from the lack of talent he has had compared to our rivals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/4/2024 at 9:12 AM, AUSCalum87 said:

Oh no, I don’t really as well. Honestly, I think Auburn might have the worst “insiders” of the schools. I can’t count how many times we have had “silent commits” and then we get spurned and it was because “a big surprise “ 🤣. But as for the NIL for basketball, again, just reading the tea leaves and looking at facts. Since 2021, look at the type of players we have gotten in the portal and overall talent. Outside of Broome, Aden, Kessler and Jabari, we have had severe talent deficiencies. And Aden was a bust for us and Broome has been developed into an All American since he has been here. And then you look at our rivals who consistently get top 20-30 portal players along with elite high school talent and you can just see that Auburn doesn’t have the NIL to compete with our rivals. Pearl has for the most part overachieved in results from the lack of talent he has had compared to our rivals. 

Your points are correct, I'm just not convinced that NIL is the problem. For instance, Kentucky is going to get 'em, NIL or not.

Just now, Mikey said:

Your points are correct, I'm just not convinced that NIL is the problem. For instance, Kentucky is going to get 'em, NIL or not.

That’s where I disagree. You think players are lining up at UAT because their coach is getting them to the NBA? No. He has as many NBA guys as Pearl does. You think Arkansas is a destination place for elite talent? No. These guys are purely going where the money is and if they are starting. Some teams, unfortunately for Auburn, have invested in their basketball program and can have really quality players sit the bench while getting paid. It’s why Auburn continues to struggle to get an abundance of elite and high quality every year. It’s why Pearl goes after like 1 or 2 of these high quality portal guys and the rest are guys you have to do deep research on. He has to do a lot of evaluation. UAT’s coach just goes after any guy in the portal because he knows they have the money to compete. It’s why Pearl has to be really selective with the type of players he recruits, unlike other teams. And again, it’s unfortunate that most of Auburn’s rivals are reloading elite talent. Now, that doesn’t equate to them having a better team.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

That’s where I disagree. You think players are lining up at UAT because their coach is getting them to the NBA? No. He has as many NBA guys as Pearl does. You think Arkansas is a destination place for elite talent? No. These guys are purely going where the money is and if they are starting. Some teams, unfortunately for Auburn, have invested in their basketball program and can have really quality players sit the bench while getting paid. It’s why Auburn continues to struggle to get an abundance of elite and high quality every year. It’s why Pearl goes after like 1 or 2 of these high quality portal guys and the rest are guys you have to do deep research on. He has to do a lot of evaluation. UAT’s coach just goes after any guy in the portal because he knows they have the money to compete. It’s why Pearl has to be really selective with the type of players he recruits, unlike other teams. And again, it’s unfortunate that most of Auburn’s rivals are reloading elite talent. Now, that doesn’t equate to them having a better team.

I forgot to add about UK. Look at the high quality portal players and recruits they are getting. Pope is a decent coach, but again, those players aren’t going there because of him. UK boosters are giving him a blank check for these high end portal guys. Also, sometimes you just have to use common basketball sense. You think these players would sit on the bench if they weren’t getting money? You think UAT’s players are all just going there for free and don’t mind not playing much? No. It’s amazing how UAT has been getting more elite portal guys and high school talent since NIL started. He doesn’t have any better results in that time frame than Pearl, yet he is constantly having the more talented roster every year. Again, just using some common sense, the reason can only be because of their NIL investment in basketball.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TigerOne said:

So AU is slipping into mediocrity. Of course it’s a role we relish and usually prove the experts wrong until we mess it up

7 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I forgot to add about UK. Look at the high quality portal players and recruits they are getting. Pope is a decent coach, but again, those players aren’t going there because of him. UK boosters are giving him a blank check for these high end portal guys. Also, sometimes you just have to use common basketball sense. You think these players would sit on the bench if they weren’t getting money? You think UAT’s players are all just going there for free and don’t mind not playing much? No. It’s amazing how UAT has been getting more elite portal guys and high school talent since NIL started. He doesn’t have any better results in that time frame than Pearl, yet he is constantly having the more talented roster every year. Again, just using some common sense, the reason can only be because of their NIL investment in basketball.

Didn't Kentucky get beat in the first round by a completely inferior opponent? So we are already on par with Kentucky, and no matter who we have an how much money we spend.....Arkansas and uat beat us every year. I'll wait and see. A basketball team is more than the best talent. Or Kentucky would have won every year. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

Didn't Kentucky get beat in the first round by a completely inferior opponent? So we are already on par with Kentucky, and no matter who we have an how much money we spend.....Arkansas and uat beat us every year. I'll wait and see. A basketball team is more than the best talent. Or Kentucky would have won every year. We'll see. 

We smoked arky by 30 plus this year and beat the bams by 18 on our floor and barely lost at their place. The point the poster is trying to make is Bruce is always having to do more with less because we are at a recruiting disadvantage in bball. 

Bruce can recruit with the best with them on a level playing field. Which is why we always get one 5 star McDonald’s AA and usually 1 quality transfer which is seemingly our ceiling each year for NIL with bball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I guess I didn’t make my point, but what I was saying is that even with UAT and Arky having more talented rosters, Auburn is able to hold their own.

I think people in general get hung up on the NCAA tournament and use that to determine success, which is a very narrow minded view in basketball. Coach K is arguably the best coach in college basketball history, but won only 5 championships in over 40 years at Duke where he had the best talent almost every year. What I’m trying to say is that 

So if you take out the tourney, then Auburn has held their own. Yes, I want Auburn to go further in the tournament but that doesn’t erase that Auburn is one of the top 3-4 schools in the past 7 years despite the lack of resources UAT and Arky have. UK hasn’t been relevant in 7 years due to NIL and Calipari is having to coach on a level playing field, meaning his coaching has been subpar but was masked before NIL due to him almost always having the most talented team. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We smoked arky by 30 plus this year and beat the bams by 18 on our floor and barely lost at their place. The point the poster is trying to make is Bruce is always having to do more with less because we are at a recruiting disadvantage in bball. 

Bruce can recruit with the best with them on a level playing field. Which is why we always get one 5 star McDonald’s AA and usually 1 quality transfer which is seemingly our ceiling each year for NIL with bball.

Exactly! As I stated above, given what Pearl has to work with compared to others, he’s done as good as job that you can. Being tied this year for second place along with winning the SEC tournament when you had three guards combine for barely 19-20 points a game was nothing short of a miracle. This team was an after thought in the preseason but Pearl got the best out of most of his players. If Aden had even shot 35% from 3, Auburn would have at least gone to the Sweet 16.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I guess I didn’t make my point, but what I was saying is that even with UAT and Arky having more talented rosters, Auburn is able to hold their own.

I think people in general get hung up on the NCAA tournament and use that to determine success, which is a very narrow minded view in basketball. Coach K is arguably the best coach in college basketball history, but won only 5 championships in over 40 years at Duke where he had the best talent almost every year. What I’m trying to say is that 

So if you take out the tourney, then Auburn has held their own. Yes, I want Auburn to go further in the tournament but that doesn’t erase that Auburn is one of the top 3-4 schools in the past 7 years despite the lack of resources UAT and Arky have. UK hasn’t been relevant in 7 years due to NIL and Calipari is having to coach on a level playing field, meaning his coaching has been subpar but was masked before NIL due to him almost always having the most talented team. 

My bad. It's probably me. Ive really got too much family stuff going on to post here, but it's a way to escape. I totally agree with your take. I like out starting 5 , assuming our PG is all he's supposed to be. 

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yep. My bad on that. 

• Like 1

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

My bad. It's probably me. Ive really got too much family stuff going on to post here, but it's a way to escape. I totally agree with your take. I like out starting 5 , assuming our PG is all he's supposed to be. 

Oh no worries, I hope I didn’t come across being crass! It’s hard to convey a message at times online, it’s why I have avoided for a long time being on any message board. 

As for our starting 5 for right now, it’s a top 20 team. I really like Pegues and he’s also a veteran and has a lot of experience, so if he even comes close to what he did at Furman, we should be good. Honestly the only starting position that’s a definite weakness is PF with Chaney Johnson. He’s a great backup option, but I don’t think he’s a starter on a top tier SEC team like Auburn. If we could somehow get Achor Achor, I would honestly put Auburn’s starting five up against any other team’s starting 5 in the country, that’s how much potential Auburn could have.

• Like 2

• Like 1

Imagine that…. Looking at you Duke Miles. And Omier is a much more accomplished college player to….

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Imagine that…. Looking at you Duke Miles. And Omier is a much more accomplished college player to….

Yea, some players want to have a chance to start at national championship contender and Omier will, which is why he chose Baylor more than likely, as well as they have a history of putting bigs in the league. As for Duke, he was not going to be the starter here, and apparently that’s what he wanted more, on top of more NIL. Auburn thought he wasn’t worth with what he wanted.

• Like 1