The players association

DAG

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Wonder what will happen when a top draft pick fakes an injury to miss a bowl game. 

I suppose not much can be done about it unless it is written in the contract to say otherwise.

58 minutes ago, DAG said:

I suppose not much can be done about it unless it is written in the contract to say otherwise.

If a university really wants to get litigious they could allege fraud, I suppose. Or the contract could be based on games available to play.

25 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If a university really wants to get litigious they could allege fraud, I suppose. Or the contract could be based on games available to play.

I think the latter would be easier. Basically what the NBA does by ownership and the league. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think the latter would be easier. Basically what the NBA does by ownership and the league. 

Agreed.

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

If anyone has read into the particulars of the class-action lawsuit House vs NCAA, it is estimated that a settlement will be worked out between both parties, a judge has already hinted that the NCAA (and its member institutions) will be slapped in the face with a +$4Billion lawsuit for backpay to former athletes.  That's a pretty sizeable chunk of money that will be coming out of every NCAA program's pocket to pay former athletes who never got the NIL windfall who want their share of the pie. 

This class-action lawsuit is what has suddenly spurred the NCAA & school presidents to clamor around in Dallas trying to come up with a settlement figure for the backpay to former athletes AND devise a workable plan for the future of college athletics.  

The stubborn old jackasses kicked the can down the road and acted greedy for far too long, then the lawsuits and courts took control and the whole shebang has blown up in their faces. 

It doesn't have to be that way.  An anti-trust exemption and all the plaintiffs can go pound sand.  Poof their causes of action disappear into thin air.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It doesn't have to be that way.  An anti-trust exemption and all the plaintiffs can go pound sand.  Poof their causes of action disappear into thin air.

There is no anti-trust exemption and wasn’t one in effect when this class-action lawsuit was filed.  The ncaa and college administrators are currently working on settlement terms so that this lawsuit doesn’t make it to the Jan ‘25 court date.  The settlement will be in excess of $4billion and it will be paid from the NCAA and member schools pockets.  In other words, SEC schools will be footing part of this tab to pay former athletes.  

Going forward it doesn’t have to be this way. But no one, more specifically Congress has even made an effort to pass legislation that would exempt college athletics from antitrust laws.

Edited by keesler

22 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

by their own choosing....NONE of them have to play sports.  

AMEN!

2 hours ago, keesler said:

There is no anti-trust exemption and wasn’t one in effect when this class-action lawsuit was filed.  The ncaa and college administrators are currently working on settlement terms so that this lawsuit doesn’t make it to the Jan ‘25 court date.  The settlement will be in excess of $4billion and it will be paid from the NCAA and member schools pockets.  In other words, SEC schools will be footing part of this tab to pay former athletes.  

Going forward it doesn’t have to be this way. But no one, more specifically Congress has even made an effort to pass legislation that would exempt college athletics from antitrust laws.

I have no doubt that they are working on it.  These are the same people that have been leading us into this mess to begin with. The former athletes received a lot from the schools.  They certainly are not owed some sort of windfall simply because they chose to play a sport in school.

My point was that Congress needs to get off its desire to focus on nonsense and actually do something that is needed, like this exemption.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, autigeremt said:

In my honest opinion, I believe college athletics is about to see a major dip in attention from fan bases and a drop in popularity overall. They cannot compete with professional sports. Fans will start to find other things to do with their money and merely “watch” from a distance. 

Why do you think this? College football keeps growing in popularity in particular. It has overtaken the NBA and mlb as the second most popular and watched American sport. The ratings back it up to. 

49 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

My point was that Congress needs to get off its desire to focus on nonsense and actually do something that is needed, like this exemption.

Congress ain’t doing much, but I’m not sure most working Americans put this high on their list of problems needing fixin.’

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I have no doubt that they are working on it.  These are the same people that have been leading us into this mess to begin with. The former athletes received a lot from the schools.  They certainly are not owed some sort of windfall simply because they chose to play a sport in school.

A contingent of representatives have sent numerous individuals to DC to press upon lawmakers the need for assistance.  Conference commissioners, the NCAA president, college presidents, chancellors and influential coaches have asked for help.  Senator Tuberville presented draft plans to help lawmakers understand the situation and emphasize the importance of congressional action, apparently none if it even gets out of committee because nothing has moved the needle.  

50 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

A contingent of representatives have sent numerous individuals to DC to press upon lawmakers the need for assistance.  Conference commissioners, the NCAA president, college presidents, chancellors and influential coaches have asked for help.  Senator Tuberville presented draft plans to help lawmakers understand the situation and emphasize the importance of congressional action, apparently none if it even gets out of committee because nothing has moved the needle.  

Unfortunately, like many things, when the wheels really start coming off, they may act more urgently.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Congress ain’t doing much, but I’m not sure most working Americans put this high on their list of problems needing fixin.’

It just really disgusts me that we are all watching the train wreck in slow motion. We are allowing the pendulum to swing so far in the opposite direction that recovering from the looming disaster may take decades, if possible at all.  With the slightest economic downturn, we could very easily see athletic programs all across the country shut down and some bankrupt. 

People believe that we will always have more money, but we won't.  Even a program like Auburn would be in real trouble if we suddenly lost 2 or 3 of the major donors to the collective.  When a compensation plan is put in place, the schools will have to foot the bill.  What is the first sport to get cut to free up funding?  Something will have to go, unless we increase the university contribution and/or take on debt.  People just don't think a couple steps ahead.

Let me get this straight: The schools are to pay previous athletes for what NIL money they would have received had the NIL been in place when they played? How much will we owe Pat Sullivan's heirs? Bo Jackson? Cam Newton?

Who will decide what a former athlete would have been worth in NIL dollars?

This whole thing seems preposterous, but then there are preposterous things happening every day on this scale and larger. These are sad times for college athletics. We are witnessing first hand the Law of Unintended Consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Not sure anti-trust does away with NIL rights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

It just really disgusts me that we are all watching the train wreck in slow motion. We are allowing the pendulum to swing so far in the opposite direction that recovering from the looming disaster may take decades, if possible at all.  With the slightest economic downturn, we could very easily see athletic programs all across the country shut down and some bankrupt. 

People believe that we will always have more money, but we won't.  Even a program like Auburn would be in real trouble if we suddenly lost 2 or 3 of the major donors to the collective.  When a compensation plan is put in place, the schools will have to foot the bill.  What is the first sport to get cut to free up funding?  Something will have to go, unless we increase the university contribution and/or take on debt.  People just don't think a couple steps ahead.

It’s a slow-moving train wreck with many conductors.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40071715/ncaa-pay-more-27b-settle-nil-antitrust-suit-sources-say

The NCAA's national office might be footing the bill for a settlement expected to be more than $2.7 billion in the landmark House v. NCAA antitrust lawsuit in hopes of reshaping and stabilizing the college sports industry, according to multiple sources.

Sources told ESPN this week that parties have proposed the NCAA's national office -- rather than its individual member schools or conferences -- would pay for the settlement of past damages over a period of 10 years. The NCAA payments would be paid to former college athletes who say they were illegally prevented from making money by selling the rights to their name, image and likeness.

The settlement would come with a corresponding commitment from conferences and schools to share revenue with athletes moving forward, per sources. The settlement would establish a framework for power conferences to share revenue with their athletes in the future. Sources have told ESPN that schools are anticipating a ceiling of nearly $20 million per year for athlete revenue share moving forward. (That nearly $20 million number is a permissive cap derived from a formula based on each school's revenue, and schools could choose how much they want to spend.)

• Like 1

This could be very ground breaking 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Serious question. What makes you would think an entity that has the USA in Trillions of dollars worth of debt can solve this or any other monetary problem? I'm not trying to have an argument. I just haven't seen any proof in my almost 7 decades on earth that Congress could fix anything. No matter how much of our  money they throw at a problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Let me get this straight: The schools are to pay previous athletes for what NIL money they would have received had the NIL been in place when they played? How much will we owe Pat Sullivan's heirs? Bo Jackson? Cam Newton?

Who will decide what a former athlete would have been worth in NIL dollars?

This whole thing seems preposterous, but then there are preposterous things happening every day on this scale and larger. These are sad times for college athletics. We are witnessing first hand the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Totally agree. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Serious question. What makes you would think an entity that has the USA in Trillions of dollars worth of debt can solve this or any other monetary problem? I'm not trying to have an argument. I just haven't seen any proof in my almost 7 decades on earth that Congress could fix anything. No matter how much of our  money they throw at a problem. 

They aren't needed to solve a monetary problem.  They are needed to pass an exemption to anti-trust laws, which would insulate college athletics from the threat of this preposterous type of legal action.  They are the only entity that can do that. If MLB is worthy of an exemption, collegiate athletics certainly is as well.

As for their inability to balance a check book, I totally agree.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why do you think this? College football keeps growing in popularity in particular. It has overtaken the NBA and mlb as the second most popular and watched American sport. The ratings back it up to. 

It’s just my opinion. Maybe it’s because I’m 52 and not 22. 

40 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

It’s just my opinion. Maybe it’s because I’m 52 and not 22. 

FWIW I’m less interested than I use to be.  

I think this will all end in many unintended bad consequences for the Pool of college athletes across all sports.  High end football and basketball players will benefit for the sake of the semi-pro entertainment and the non revenue sports will get trucked.

Then the high end players get to deal with Contracts, performance requirements, tax implications, agents, and any number of other factors… the pool of kids will suffer and the adults will continue to benefit while the total number of scholarship athlete benefits at lower levels will reduce 

it all makes me want to scream.  College student athletes - who willingly volunteer to play sports for scholarships - should never have been given these extra benefits.

• Like 1