Softball vs uat Game 3

3-0 Auburn going to the top of the 7th. 

1-2-3 top of the 7th as AUBURN takes 2 of 3 from #17 alabama! War Eagle! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Dean making one last stand? 

Maybe his departure will be a celebration instead of a good riddance. 

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

What a brilliant job in the circle by Widra...soooo darned happy for her and for the team.  There were a couple of insane decisions in the game (Wohlers rounding 3rd for home and being being easily thrown out, Lech - as slow as she is - bunting with 0 outs and nobody on base, McNemar trying to steal second and being thrown out by a mile, etc.) but a great win in the end.  Glad Penta and Lowe got to rest today.  War Eagle!

Edited by Golden Eagle
It was McNemar that was caught stealing 2nd
  • Like 3

WIDRA! WIDRA! WIDRA!  I was not liking Auburn chances coming into this game.  If you had told me beforehand that we would keep them scoreless and Widra would pitch the entire game, I would have thought you had been out in the sun too long.  Happy for the team but so proud for Widra.  Also, Wohlers made a great play at 3rd base for last out of 5th inning.  Agree that having Lech bunt not a great strategy unless the opposing team faints.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Widra was great today! We need her to step up and carry the load for the pitching staff. Hopefully Tamborra, Rolfe, and incoming recruit Godfrey can help.

The environment was pretty good today too. The stadium was about 80% full today, but it’s annoying to see so many empty seats behind home plate with so many standing room only people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jad0003 said:

Widra was great today! We need her to step up and carry the load for the pitching staff. Hopefully Tamborra, Rolfe, and incoming recruit Godfrey can help.

The environment was pretty good today too. The stadium was about 80% full today, but it’s annoying to see so many empty seats behind home plate with so many standing room only people. 

Isn't graduation today?  If so, that probably dissuaded some people from attending (traffic, hotel reservations, etc.)  But agree...would love to see the stadium full at every game.  Wish I lived close enough to attend. 

I was thinking last night about Penta and Lowe pitching most of the innings these past 4 years and wondering what that means for next year.  So happy for Widra's success today and hope it carries over into the post season and to next year.  Rolfe is already a sophomore and hasn't had much success when she has had opportunities.  She was a very highly-rated recruit so hope things will click for her (and Tamborra) SOON.  Maybe the new coach will be able to acquire a top pitcher or two from the portal.

47 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Lech - as slow as she is - bunting with 0 outs and nobody on base

I was so confused by that 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

WIDRA! WIDRA! WIDRA!  I was not liking Auburn chances coming into this game.  If you had told me beforehand that we would keep them scoreless and Widra would pitch the entire game, I would have thought you had been out in the sun too long.  Happy for the team but so proud for Widra.  Also, Wohlers made a great play at 3rd base for last out of 5th inning.  Agree that having Lech bunt not a great strategy unless the opposing team faints.

I felt exactly the same.  Was so discouraged by last night's game I almost didn't watch today.  Really glad I did.

I think it was during the Arkansas series that Mark Fuller (former Auburn baseball pitcher, pitching coach, and broadcast host of a lot of Auburn baseball home games on SEC+) was tapped to join Amy Reif on the broadcast for one game.  He said he didn't know softball like he does baseball but I enjoyed his perspective.  Early on in the game he commented that while Arkansas looked comfortable and confident at the plate, Auburn looked just the opposite...and that continued throughout the game and was reflected in the score.  This series, Tresvik has looked defeated as soon as she steps into the box.  Weak swings with her arms, not using her legs, walks back to the dugout hanging her head.  Peralta, too, at times.  The team as a whole hit better today but they all need to show confidence, good form, and aggression in the box (IMHO).  Can't win without runs!  Milanowski was great today!

• WarTiger changed the title to Softball vs uat Game 3
2 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

The part that bothers me more than that is the idiot uaters in the front row behind homeplate.  They should never be able to get those seats.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

The part that bothers me more than that is the idiot uaters in the front row behind homeplate.  They should never be able to get those seats.

Glad they got an up close of the loss.  Never saw them be obnoxious.  Nothing like the crazy from LSU.  We just need more fan support.  BAMA has good attendance at their games and likely closer to population centers.  They have also had a more consistent successful program that has developed a following.   I looked at the BAMA site where it had a very short description of the game.  They had a section listing "Highlights".  One they had listed seemed to be a desperation for something positive about the game: 

• "Jenna Johnson's sixth-inning hit by pitch was her 14th of the season, which is now tied for the fourth most in UA single-season history and the most since Danae Hays' 15 in 2014"
  • Haha 1

Widra, while not a power pitcher, appears to be very effective. She was recruited partly as a pitcher. Why did we wear Penta out. It was worse while Lowe was injured.

3 hours ago, TD1 said:

I was so confused by that 

For every one on here, that is the definition of poor coaching.   You tell your 4 hole hitter to never do that before the season ever starts.   She put down a beautiful bunt and got thrown out by 3 steps.   She looked like she was carrying someone on her back.   If she had speed , it might be a different situation but seeing that , she should never attempt another bunt for hit again 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, autigeremt said:

1-2-3 top of the 7th as AUBURN takes 2 of 3 from #17 alabama! War Eagle! 

Always nice when, even though our season is going nowhere, we serve a turd in the punchbowl to the turds. Hopefully, baseball can do the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Hopefully, baseball can do the same.

I wouldn't hold my breath

• Like 1

Ole Miss is on a roll...they took the series from Auburn last weekend and just took the series from Arkansas tonight.   SEC Tournament should be interesting.

6 hours ago, aubaseball said:

For every one on here, that is the definition of poor coaching.   You tell your 4 hole hitter to never do that before the season ever starts.   She put down a beautiful bunt and got thrown out by 3 steps.   She looked like she was carrying someone on her back.   If she had speed , it might be a different situation but seeing that , she should never attempt another bunt for hit again 

Come in man. Didn’t you see Major League? Sometimes you gotta catch ‘em off guard!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Widra, while not a power pitcher, appears to be very effective. She was recruited partly as a pitcher. Why did we wear Penta out. It was worse while Lowe was injured.

I'm probably misunderstanding your point, but today was far and away the best outing that Widra has had.  She has pretty much been the #3 pitcher the past two years, but hasn't produced a result like today previously.  Really glad her hair was on fire today. 

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I'm probably misunderstanding your point, but today was far and away the best outing that Widra has had.  She has pretty much been the #3 pitcher the past two years, but hasn't produced a result like today previously.  Really glad her hair was on fire today. 

To expand on what Whiskey said......Quick look at stats and appears Widra has pitched in 18 games prior to the BAMA series.  The vast majority of her appearances have been either one or 2 innings pitched.  She did pitch 4 innings vs Ole Miss.  Not to be overlooked has been her fielding.  I see only 2 errors and feel she has done a nice job at 3rd.  This may be the best we have played at third base in at least the last couple of years.  I could not believe how little emotion she seemed to display during her BAMA outing......calm, cool, collected and a winner.  

Again, I want to say how impressive the play was by Wohlers in for the last out in 5th inning.  She dove to her left, completely laid out, watched the ball into her glove, scrambled to her feet and threw out the runner.  Showed tremendous quickness getting to her feet.  A genuine highlight play.  There was a runner on 1st at the time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I'm probably misunderstanding your point,

Point was I think Widra should have had more pitching opportunities, particularly in the early non-conference games. Having a trusted 3rd pitcher would have been great this last third of the season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Point was I think Widra should have had more pitching opportunities, particularly in the early non-conference games. Having a trusted 3rd pitcher would have been great this last third of the season.

After reviewing the pitching stats, I think your point is well taken.  I didn't watch nearly all the games, and my impression of Widra's results was skewed.  She entered yesterday's game with an ERA of 3.59, compared to 1.82 for Penta and 2.59 for Lowe.  Her most impressive stat:  35 Ks and 3 walks, almost 12:1 ratio.  Way better than either Penta or Lowe.  My counterpoint was that she hadn't displayed pitching like yesterday until yesterday.  I still agree she should have had more innings.  Good talk. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 5:23 PM, arktiger1975 said:

Always nice when, even though our season is going nowhere, we serve a turd in the punchbowl to the turds. Hopefully, baseball can do the same.

Any day bammer loses is a good day

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 9:58 AM, Mikey said:

Agreed.  If you look at the stats and include conference only/pitching AB has a better ERA and the last game hasn't been added since it doesn't show a win. I'm sure the numbers are skewed since she pitched the least but in many cases she was brought in as a last ditch effort.  I'll admit - I'm a big fan of hers.  Her intensity in a game whether pitching or playing third/second needs to be what our other players should aspire to!  (IMO)

• Like 1