RB Brian Battie injured in shooting

i have googled repeatedly and found nothing new.

Tragic.  Prayers for a full and fast recovery and for peace for him and his family dealing with the loss of his brother.  

Do we have confirmation ? Otherwise that is a wild headline.

• Like 2

Terrible. I thought he left via the portal. Am I misremembering that?

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Terrible. I thought he left via the portal. Am I misremembering that?

Entered the portal temporarily before withdrawing his entry and coming back to our roster. We are his second stop after playing at USF to start his career. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to RB Brian Battie injured in shooting

al.com

Auburn RB Brian Battie reportedly injured in Sarasota shooting

Updated: May. 18, 2024, 3:41 p.m.|Published: May. 18, 2024, 2:55 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Auburn running back Brian Battie (21) carries the ball against Samford during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

By

Ainslie Lee | alee@al.com

Matt Cohen | mcohen@al.com

Auburn running back Brian Battie is reportedly among the victims of a shooting in Sarasota, Florida early Saturday morning, an Auburn spokesperson confirmed.

According to multiple media outlets, Battie was one of the victims in a shooting the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office says happened in the 3400 block of 17th Street, Sarasota at approximately 3:30 a.m.

Sarasota Director of Community Affairs Evan Keats confirmed Tommie Battie, 24, was killed in the shooting. Tommie Battie is Brian Battie’s brother. Keats would not confirm any other victim’s name in the shooting, citing Florida’s Marsy’s Law statute, but did confirm four additional victims taken to the hospital. There was no update on the other victim’s condition.

“We are aware of the situation and are continuing to gather information,” an Auburn spokesperson responded when asked by AL.com about the shooting.

Sarasota deputies said deputies responded to the Tallywood Centre Plaza at approximately 3:30 a.m. Saturday morning. Tommie Battie was pronounced dead at the scene, Keats said.

Deputies have not released the name of the shooter or a motive. An investigation is ongoing.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information is made available.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Lotto said:

Crazy.  There was a shooting in Stockton Alabama this week as well.  Makes me hate guns more and more.

Terrible news for the Batties. There have been several shootings in Stockton but this is not related. Last I heard Brian was in critical condition. Praying for him 

Just awful. Can't imagine how this family feels right now. 

What ever happened to fighting someone with your hands ?? Damn I hate this. Prayers for Batte and his family. Absolutely a tragedy. 

• Like 5

Prayers for the Battie family and Brian’s recovery. Evil exists in some people but it does not exist in the instruments they use for evil. Sometimes people step into a harmful situation by choice and sometimes by circumstance but in anything that happens, God can use it for good for someone else. 

• Like 6

In my younger years I did plenty of after midnight rambling. As I know from experience, there's likely to be trouble at 3:30 AM.  I you're going to be up and about then, develop some "leaving sense". You gotta' know when to bail out and head to a different spot.

• Like 4

Yikes! Frightening and horrific. Hoping the updates are positive for Brian, and also that the police find the shooter(s).

3am, hookah lounge, probably some drinking. Whatever transpired , there is no reason to take a life over it. It is crazy how much less empathy we have of our fellow human being. Now someone loss their live, another is fighting for theirs and the one(s) responsible will sit in a cell for the rest of their lives. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

"Injured" and "critically injured / shot in the head" are potentially vastly different. No gunshot to the head can be taken lightly. Tragic news. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. And to lose his brother... damn. 

(And weird take to toss in the '2 things open after midnight, hospitals and legs' when there was a shooting at a Hookah bar.  ) 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by AURaptor
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Modern Warfare and others may desensitize young people to killing another.  

It isn't video games. Almost half of the world's population plays video games in some form or another. If video games, movies, or music were the culprit, the number of murders would be a whole lot higher just based on the number of consumers. 

I think it is a combination of mental illness that goes untreated regardless of warning signs and the effort to destroy or downplay the importance of the nuclear family.

• Like 2