The Gibbs Prevent Scheme

the deacon

The Gibbs prevent "strategery" worked like very other prevent defense. It prevented us from winning. To put absolutely NO pressure on Russell was ridiculous. The three man rush was actually a two man rush several times as one man played short middle coverage. ANY quarterback/receiver combo will tell you that with enough time eventually someone breaks clear. And our DB coach, oh that's Gibbs too, has done a poor job with our safeties except for Will Herring who coaches himself.

As an aside, the kickers job is to kick. That isn't a secret. If he thought it was something different he is mistaken. It's an easy job being a kicker, until it counts. Then its time to pay the piper. Produce or sit the pine like every other team member. $.02!

Our pass defense has 7 consecutive games of not allowing an opponent to pass for 200 or more yards. The last time we accomplished this was in 1988, when we went 8 consecutive games without allowing 200-yards passing. This is very difficult to do in this day & age of college football no matter who the competition is.

We are currently ranked 8th in overall defense and 4th in scoring defense. We did not play perfect on defense last night but I'm looking at the overall picture and not just a few isolated plays from one game. We have 16 sacks after 7 games and we had 17 at the same point in the season last year. The lack of a pass rush was more by scheme ( few blitzes ) than outright poor play.

In his prior 15 games, Russell had 9 games where he averaged over 14 yards per completion. He can easily throw a ball 70-yards and I imagine the defensive plan was not to allow the easy big play ( blitz ). During his young career, he has averaged 13.67 yards per completion. We held him to 11.88 the other night.

I'm not saying I agreed with the defensive game plan because I would have liked to see some more timely blitzes but I can understand why the coaching staff elected to go with a more conservative defense. I also credit LSU for having a good OL, which I don't believe Alabama can match in terms of pass protection.

The LSU offense...with as many weapons as they have...scored ten points. Im perfectly happy with our coaching on the defensive side of the ball. Too bad some of you really dont know the game of football as well as you'd like to think.

One of best features should be the speed of all 4 of our defense ends but they can't be a factor in that scheme. All though we played well Coach Gibbs was horrible with getting a play called for the D. I honestly like my D coach up in the box but that is just me.

The Gibbs prevent "strategery" worked like very other prevent defense. It prevented us from winning. To put absolutely NO pressure on Russell was ridiculous. The three man rush was actually a two man rush several times as one man played short middle coverage. ANY quarterback/receiver combo will tell you that with enough time eventually someone breaks clear. And our DB coach, oh that's Gibbs too, has done a poor job with our safeties except for Will Herring who coaches himself.

As an aside, the kickers job is to kick. That isn't a secret. If he thought it was something different he is mistaken. It's an easy job being a kicker, until it counts. Then its time to pay the piper. Produce or sit the pine like every other team member. $.02!

191849[/snapback]

but the bad thing about a prevent is it lets the offense nail you underneath all day. those 3 and 5 yard gains add up. regardless, it was a good defensive game. however, i have a feeling that special teams will be putting in a little extra practice time this week :puke:

I see that Chizk is still winning at Texas......think we lost the best DC on this one...

Stat, If you notice, I'm not talking about the majority of the gamein which, as a whole, things worked well(when we got the call in on time).I'm referencing the move from an aggressive and effective plan to a poor "prevent" plan that had the result similar to so many others. IT PREVENTED US FROM WINNING. You actually made my argument for me with your stats. Why change from the plan that got us to the point of victory?Our kids fought too hard to have a poorly devised plan ruin their efforts. The interior D-line had a tremendous game and I felt Gibbs did them a dis-service. Plainly put ... GREAT EFFORT WASTED.

As for Vatz, I don't recall casting stones your way but I can GUARANTEE you don't want to compare football pedigrees with me. Anyone that has a clue about grading game film could see that the "cover 8" allowed LSU to pull the fat out of the fire. And yes the safeties other then Herring struggled. GO BACK TO YOUR KOOL-AID.

Auburn's defense gave up ONE td. One..that's all. I don't think I want to kick 'em around too much today. :au:

191849[/snapback]

I said during the game that I liked the defensive strategy. Auburn was going to make Russel beat him with the throw. Did he, maybe, maybe not. Auburn gave up 17 points. One TD on a punt return and another FG on a 2 minute drive. If I remember correctly, which I may not, it seemed like Auburn did pressure Russel on one particular play on their last drive and Russel beat the pressure and threw to a guy 35 yards down field who was wide open.

I personally think that the defensive and offensive game plans for that matter were very sound. Where Auburn lost the game was in execution. Both in special teams and on offense...I personally don't think our defese was the problem.

Auburn's defense gave up ONE td. One..that's all. I don't think I want to kick 'em around too much today. :au:

191886[/snapback]

Does anyone even read the comments before they fire off? The gripe with the defense has to do with the late game change of strategy that was "pitiful". No one is kicking the D, JUST AN ILL ADVISED CHANGE OF STRATEGY.

191886[/snapback]

Does anyone even read the comments before they fire off? The gripe with the defense has to do with the late game change of strategy that was "pitiful". No one is kicking the D, JUST AN ILL ADVISED CHANGE OF STRATEGY.

191891[/snapback]

I tried to be nice to you first....but you never said in your original post "during the last drive" or "in the 4th quarter" or anything. Know ing that you proclaim to be a film genious, I thought that, since Auburn had been in the defense THE WHOLE GAME, that obviously you had seen that also. Apparently not and you just want to bitch about something, or blame it on the coaching, or whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.

191886[/snapback]

191891[/snapback]

I tried to be nice to you first....but you never said in your original post "during the last drive" or "in the 4th quarter" or anything. Know ing that you proclaim to be a film genious, I thought that, since Auburn had been in the defense THE WHOLE GAME, that obviously you had seen that also. Apparently not and you just want to bitch about something, or blame it on the coaching, or whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.

191900[/snapback]

I believe that my point was about the PREVENT defense and the three man rush WHICH occurred in the latter portion of the game. For people that are not familiar with football terminology. prevent strategy is used at the END OF GAMES.It usually brings less than desired results.Also, anyone that knew what they were watching noticed the three man rush we tried to employ with absoluteLy NO luck AT THE END OF THE GAME. I'm sorry. I thought that MOST OF THE FOLKS ON THIS SITE WOULD KNOW THAT.I never claimed to be a genius, just knowledgeable. Been there, done that ,got a pay check. I never implied we should dump Gibbs but simply pointed out what I and many others FAMILIAR with the game of football believe to be another attempt at a failed strategy. (I still don't understand the name calling.)

191886[/snapback]

191891[/snapback]

191900[/snapback]

I believe that my point was about the PREVENT defense and the three man rush WHICH occurred in the latter portion of the game. For people that are not familiar with football terminology. prevent strategy is used at the END OF GAMES.It usually brings less than desired results.Also, anyone that knew what they were watching noticed the three man rush we tried to employ with absoluteLy NO luck AT THE END OF THE GAME. I'm sorry. I thought that MOST OF THE FOLKS ON THIS SITE WOULD KNOW THAT.I never claimed to be a genius, just knowledgeable. Been there, done that ,got a pay check. I never implied we should dump Gibbs but simply pointed out what I and many others FAMILIAR with the game of football believe to be another attempt at a failed strategy. (I still don't understand the name calling.)

191925[/snapback]

My point was that you never mentioned the end of the game. Auburn rushed only 3 for the majority of the game. Yes, typically "prevent" means dropping guys back into a soft cover defense at the end of games, but I did not see any different of a defense on the last drive than I did the entire game. So I figured that the "prevent" defense that you spoke of was the defense philosophy the whole game. My apologies. Once again, I thought that the defensive game plan was nice and for the most part it worked.

Oh yeah...congrats on that paycheck... :big:

Not taking sides here but:

1. I too hate late game prevent defenses. They get you beat more often than not.

2. Tubs is our real defensive coach and he openly say that. It doesn't matter whether Chizik or Gibbs is the DC, it is Tubs defense. Not knocking Tubs just repeating what TT himself has publicly said.

3. If LSU players hadn't dropped two easy TD catches in the end zone, we would be blaming our DBs (who were nowhere around even in the normal defense) and Vaughn wouldn't have even been attempting FGs.

4. Where was all-world McGlover all night?

I still didn't see that we had a late game prevent defense! Now, that was LATE (if you know what I mean) in the evening and I have not watched the game since. But, I thought that the only play that gained any yards was when Auburn did get pressure on Russel and he rolled to his right completing about a 35 yard pass down field. I just did not see the prevent defense that you guys are talking about. It seems that we had that loose pressure philosophy the whole game.

I noticed it. I even vocalized it in a loud manner in which disturbed my wife and children. But as pointed out earlier, that's tubs stickinghis finger in the pie. He seems to like that type of defense late. Most times it gets us in trouble. I was very frustrated with the lack of a pass rush.

As for what happened to McGlover, he was getting beat all day long. Hard not to when the offense has an extra guy to pick you up if you get by. There were several times that the DBs looked really out of place. Their talent and speed allowed them to recover before a TD was scored. But man what a heart attack they cause.

Archived