The Plus One Solution

rexbo

BCS Plus One

I agree with him, but would really prefer to see 8 teams. A #8 versus #1 upset would be cool.

Anyway, I think he may be incorrect regarding the statement about no one lower than # 4 winning a NC; in 1983 when Auburn was screwed the first time out of a NC, I thought Miami was #5 and Auburn was 3rd...

The easiest solution is the Plus One format taking the top four teams according to the BCS with No. 1 playing No. 4, No. 2 playing No. 3, and then the two winners playing one extra game for the national title. It's only one extra game that would occur over winter break; how could anyone possibly have a problem with it? Yeah, there will always be teams ticked off at being on the outside looking in, but even in the old poll and bowl format, no one ranked lower than fourth going into the bowls has ever finished as the national champion.

BCS Plus One

I agree with him, but would really prefer to see 8 teams.  A #8 versus #1 upset would be cool.

Anyway, I think he may be incorrect regarding the statement about no one lower than # 4 winning a NC; in 1983 when Auburn was screwed the first time out of a NC, I thought Miami was #5 and Auburn was 3rd...

The easiest solution is the Plus One format taking the top four teams according to the BCS with No. 1 playing No. 4, No. 2 playing No. 3, and then the two winners playing one extra game for the national title. It's only one extra game that would occur over winter break; how could anyone possibly have a problem with it? Yeah, there will always be teams ticked off at being on the outside looking in, but even in the old poll and bowl format, no one ranked lower than fourth going into the bowls has ever finished as the national champion.

194469[/snapback]

Ohhhhh...you are correct Sir! We got shafted for sure!!! Miami, and how I hate them, was indeed #5!

:au::homer:

CFN corrected this statement, it now reads;

Yeah, there will always be teams ticked off at being on the outside looking in, but even in the old poll and bowl format it was next to impossible to win the national title ranked lower than fourth.

i think it should be situational, if there is only one undefeated then they should only have to win their bowl game. In a situation like last year there should have been a plus one game, as there were two undefeateds from major conferences. In a year where no one is undefeated from a major conference then the 1vs4 and 2vs3 plus one rule should apply.

Archived