What's wrong with our Defense??

aubie123

I know they did some good things against Georgia, but our D isn't playing well right now. Our secondary is being picked apart. Can someone tell me what's wrong? I"m not complaining, I'm just interested in everyones opinion. Maybe I'm off base. WAR EAGLE!!!!

I know they did some good things against Georgia, but our D isn't playing well right now.  Our secondary is being picked apart.  Can someone tell me what's wrong?  I"m not complaining, I'm just interested in everyones opinion. Maybe I'm off base.  WAR EAGLE!!!!

197928[/snapback]

The secondary will continue to be picked apart as long as the QB has all day to throw the ball.

UGA was a bad matchup for AU because our rush has been subpar and they have such a good OL. They also have a very mobile QB(seemed close to 100%) who is very accurate along with a monster TE and a quick freshman WR.

The DL will put more pressure on BC next week.

The secondary will continue to be picked apart as long as the QB has all day to throw the ball.

UGA was a bad matchup for AU because our rush has been subpar and they have such a good OL. They also have a very mobile QB(seemed close to 100%) who is very accurate along with a monster TE and a quick freshman WR.

The DL will put more pressure on BC next week.

Couldn't agree more, when our coverage was good Pope would get open being the monster player he is. And most of the time we just had a lack of pressure allowing all day to throw and when pressure go to Shockley we lost containment and he scrambled.

Yeah, you have the matchup issue with UGA. Then the fact that Shockley really was on fire in the 2nd half. Our defense plays well, they seem to be in the right places most of the time, except when UGA found a weakness in the secondary and ran that pass route on 3rd down several times for big gains.

We don't have a lot of sacks so we don't put much pressure on opposing QB's. I am kind of concerned about the poor tackling that has showed up the past few games. BUT, I will take the Auburn tigers as my pick in the next game!

This has been addressed previously on the board, but does bear repeating. We are playing a lot of zone and "stop the run first". So if you spit the zone, or overload one side of the zone, you get completions. Not much from UGA's vaunted running game...so it worked, sort of. B)

:au::homer:

I thought rushing only 3 DL on numerous passing situations hurt us. I'm sure the coaches were hoping they could "coverage" Shockley into a mistake because he was not as accurate against their tougher opponents. Got to give a lot of credit to Shockley for playing an outstanding game. Don't forget that we dropped three easy picks last night too. We've played a lot of youth in the secondary this season. We did get some pressure from the ends but had no push from our DT's. Once again, got to give credit to UGA's OL play. Don't forget, this was the most balanced offense we faced this season except for perhaps LSU.

The book is still out on Gibbs and the man deserves the opportunity to adjust his schemes. Even Chizik gave up back to back 400-yard games in 2002.

I think we were worried about Shockley running and we played our LBs up and gave up the intermediate field (about 15-25) yards particularly in the middle of the field. They were hitting the deep drag route all night. I thought we should have just had a spy. We wanted to send heat at times but he would avoid it pretty well.

I think we will have a field day on Bama's d line

I think we were worried about Shockley running and we played our LBs up and gave up the intermediate field (about 15-25) yards particularly in the middle of the field.  They were hitting the deep drag route all night.  I thought we should have just had a spy.  We wanted to send heat at times but he would avoid it pretty well.

I think we will have a field day on Bama's d line

197949[/snapback]

i think brandon cox is a good QB and yall have a good team, but i don't see a "field day" on our D line really happening....heh O line, that might be a different story. its going to be a hard fought game, whoever wins it will truly have to earn it i think. congrats on the win yesterday, though. it was a great game, and i think the SEC showed the nation what its made of. roll tide!

Stat this is probably for you--------

How many 10+ yard plays did we give up last night (most were 12-20 yarders). It seems that we set a record for this year and maybe for the past several.

The main concern to me was Gibbs still struggling to get a play called. I could see Bama trying a no huddle approach this week. Now I am not down on Gibbs because he had some key plays called that we failed to execute. The one play in particular was when Travis blitzed and just missed the tackle on Shockley. I think Shockley ran for a big gain. From what I see so far I would have to think we put Irons on DJ Hall and have Herring cover over the top for us. Is anyone else concerned about the defense play calls coming in or is it just me?

This has been an issue all year. CTT chewed on CDG during the lsu game for late calls when lsu decided to run some quick snaps while our "D" was standing back looking at the sidelines. I have noticed in the past two games we are still standing, looking for the play to come in even as the opponents "O" is getting to the line. I am very, very surprised that ugaly did not quick snap us. If I was uat, I would force this issue.

It was that damn Zone coverage we had during the game. Im suprised GA didnt air the ball up downfield as much as they did....our Zone coverage was very giving to their receivers throughout the game.

Numerous times I thought the DL just barely got lined up before UGA snaped the ball. UGA usually beat us to the ready mark. Against LSU from the second quarter on we played three down linemen. Again in the UGA game on several occassions.

I also don't see us running on UAT the way we did on LSU and UGA. Last year we barely survived the first quarter with all the pressure. Hope Cox can throw down field like Campbell did to blow the game open. Four straight drives and 21 unanswered points settled things down somewhat. This will also be a very physical and hard fought game.

It was that damn Zone coverage we had during the game.  Im suprised GA didnt air the ball up downfield as much as they did....our Zone coverage was very giving to their receivers throughout the game.

198065[/snapback]

we ran man coverage most of the night :blink: other than a few times that we would leave Pope open underneath

To say that something was "wrong" with our defense is just not "fair" to UGA's offense. Shockley really impressed me and Leonard Pope is a HOSS. Sure, we made some mistakes on defense. So did UGA. This was a classic. I consider it payback for the "'02 game. :D

WAR :au: EAGLE & death to all that is dark pink. B)

I will be very suprised if KI is able to run the ball down UAT's throat as he has in some other games. Their d is good.

The D-line has got to get pressure on Croyle...GOT TOO!!!! He will be a nervous wreck I think if McClover and Gunn are pounding on him.

I would like to see Brandon get a little better protection from our O-line. I don't know how many 3rd down do overs we may get against the bammers next week.

I'm all up in the middle of bammer country.... :au: has got to win this game!!!!!

It was that damn Zone coverage we had during the game.  Im suprised GA didnt air the ball up downfield as much as they did....our Zone coverage was very giving to their receivers throughout the game.

198065[/snapback]

we ran man coverage most of the night :blink: other than a few times that we would leave Pope open underneath

198070[/snapback]

Watch the replay...I will bet my life the majority of defensive plays were zone. Not to say that some of them were man, but ALOT of them were infact zone.

Watch the replay...I will bet my life the majority of defensive plays were zone. Not to say that some of them were man, but ALOT of them were infact zone.

I've watched the game twice, and I have to say that :au: did in fact run man coverage a lot. Seems that we had a spy on DJ often which led to the dump offs to Pope over the LBs. A key to finding zone is watch the play of the CB first; if they turn their hips and run with the receiver, it's more than likely man. Last season Chizik ran a lot of Cover 2 which leaves the corners in the flats to help out against the run but leaves the deep middle open. Brandon and Devin burnt Cover 2 on 4th & 10.

I believe the spys were instructed to run a delayed blitz if pass was apparent may be wrong.

Quite honestly i always hate the "playing back defense".

I honestly would like to see us utilize our speed more, i.e. using more and more outside linebacker blitzes, etc. I think that some part of us playing back may be due to the fact that we don't have a Junior Rosegreen in the back part of the secondary waiting in case anything bad happens, that guy was the most underrated player ever i think.

Anyways, Jam the receivers and the Tight ends and blitz just about everyone else against Alabama and we'll have a lot of 3 and outs and Brodie getting knocked around everywhere, I think we can learn a lot from the way that LSU beat Bama in that second half.

Nobody likes the blitz more than me. I also remember a coach that once said "When you blitz, one teams band is gonna' be playin after."

Our Defense is good enough to pick our shots. :au:

We may have run man a good bit, but on so many of the plays they made you could see on the replay one of our men releasing the receiver and let him run free. Just because a corner turns and runs on the snap does not men man, he may have deep responsibilities.

I don't think anything is wrong with our D. I think UGA really has that good of an O with Shockley in there, of course. Shockley really has improved. As others have said I was impressed with his abilities and growth as a QB. Not having Sears hurt us a lot on D. He would have been a perfect match up with Pope, although still shorter, but at 6'4", 240# with his speed he would be a much better man to man cover on Pope, IMO. I for one thought we ran a lot of man. I do think playing the spy technique on Shockley hurt in the passing lane of 15 to 25 yards over the middle, where the killed us most of the night. But, hey, we won it!!! Bama does not have an O anything like UGA, not that they won't move the ball and/or score on us, but I think everyone in the country now knows stack the line and blitz Captain America!! He was shaken, not stirred against LSU, especially after Landry hit him, ouch!! I expect to see a low scoring game, unless our coaching staff finds something in the Bama D to exploit. I can't wait!!! WAR EAGLE!!!!

we got burned on a couple of blitz's due to Shockleys ability. They looked like they wanted to keep everyone in front of them. Ringo ain't no DJ. uat has to establish

the run to win either with trick plays, misdirection then watch for play action and Ringos attempt at the long ball(See Florida).

The defense will have to step up their game (field position) to take some pressure off the offense.

Archived