Pat Dye Field

SCWarEagle

I've been thinking about this since it was announced, and I've been trying to make up my mind til now. I know there was a pretty mixed opinion around here as to the appropriateness of this, but I've decided it was the right thing to do.

Now, this is coming from a guy who wrote an Auburn Plainsman editorial WAY back when I was a senior at Auburn calling for CPD to step down as head football coach. This was AFTER all of the allegations came out, and Auburn was being portrayed in a pretty bad light. I was at the press conference in Auburn early one morning when the NCAA announced the investigation, and, I can tell you, it was not a pretty sight.

Believe me, I caught a lot of flack from a lot of Old Men about that editorial, and I was called a lot of bad things. But I felt I was right at the time, and I still do. It was time for some fresh leadership. Granted, Tater Tot may have been a bad choice, but I didn't hire him.

Still upon reflection of everything that CPD did for Auburn, and continues to do for Auburn, I think naming the field in his honor was appropriate and very timely. We should always be grateful for his hard work for Auburn and the fact that he finally got UAT in our place. I was there in '89 and I wish more than anything I could have been there Saturday.

Just remember, those two games (and lots of others in between) might never have happened had it not been for Coach Dye. Here's a big WAR DAMN EAGLE to Coach Dye for everything. It was easy for me as a snot-nosed punk to criticize him, but as someone now with a lot more miles on the old tires, I know that though CPD may not love Auburn any more than I do, he gave back more than I ever will be able to.

Thanks, Coach Dye. You deserve this honor. War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, myself, felt like an @$# for ever thinking this was a bad idea.

My disapprovals were twofold.

1. Pat Dye left a mixed legacy. The bad being outright cheating.

2. I am tired of naming EVERYTHING after someone. Samford Stadium at Hitchcock Field at Plainsman Park (no joke, that is the full name). Beard-Eaves Memorial Colesium. "The Jungle" at Jordan-Hare Stadium at Pat Dye Field, blah, blah, blah.

But as soon as I saw Pat Dye on the Jumbotron, I knew how big of an @$# I had been. Pat Dye IS Auburn. How quickly we forget those who mean so much to us.

Amen to what Rainman said. Coach Dye deserves this honor and so much more. He is, now and forever, an Auburn MAN. :au:

WAR EAGLE ! ! :cheer:

Excellent AURainman, that is very admirable. Even if you disagreed that was

very Auburn of you to post this change of heart.

Coach Dye was/is the foundation that has us where we are today.

Coach Dye and his players always left everything they had on the field. It's only right that his name is now on the field. May Eric Ramsey rot in hell.

Coach Dye and his players always left everything they had on the field. It's only right that his name is now on the field. May Eric Ramsey rot in hell.

200527[/snapback]

And Twallitta!

Guest Tigrinum Major

I, too, was torn on this issue from the beginning.

Watching the video of the old lockerroom clips was excellent. If you didn't get chillbumps when you saw Dye, wringing wet, telling his players that he was going back out to "...thank our people", well, there isn't much I can say.

I still question the timing, but in light of Dye's health issues, I accept it. It's time for those that had misgivings to move past it (I think most have) and let's get back to more important issues, like bashing Bama.

Four...count em, FOUR SEC championships...Bo Jackson, Tracy Rocker, etc....and a woulda, shoulda, we were cheated out of it, MNC in 1983!

Long live Coach Dye! I'm still a Dye Hard AU fan!!! :cheer:

:au::homer:

Geez. Don't misunderstand me. I'm still totally against it. I just felt like a humble and logical argument was made in opposition to my opinion.

Let's see. I think we should name the AU Jet after Tubs. . . and the goalposts . . . and the Jumbotron . . . and "The Tubby Weightroom" . . . and the cups sold at the games. . . and the Cheerleaders.

I mean he's 5-2 against the Turds and CPD was only 6-6.

Geez. Don't misunderstand me.  I'm still totally against it.  I just felt like a humble and logical argument was made in opposition to my opinion.

Let's see.  I think we should name the AU Jet after Tubs. . . and the goalposts . . . and the Jumbotron . . . and "The Tubby Weightroom" . . . and the cups sold at the games. . . and the Cheerleaders.

I mean he's 5-2 against the Turds and CPD was only 6-6.

200600[/snapback]

The AU ceremony to name a major object after CTT is being held next November----

Tommy Tuberville Field at bryant-denny stadium. :cheer::cheer::au:

I've got tremendous respect and praise for CPD. Were it not for him, there'd be no Bo, no '82 Iron Bowl, '83 season , Sugar Bowl victory over Michigan, 3 SEC titles in a row.....

I generally am against the whole duel field/stadium name scenario, but something had to be done for a man who has given so much to the Auburn family.

Thanks coach.

WDE

growing up listening to jim fyffe call games while dye was on the sidelines was the highlight of my childhood. the significance of dec. 2, 1989 makes it worth it to me. 3 :cheer: for COACH DYE. i got chills watching the pre-game video in the stadium saturday too. wow.

4 in a row!

28-18

Rainman

I believe that the manner in which Coach Dye left is more about Alabama and the way they do business and less about Dye.

I couldn't be any more proud than to have the field named after Dye. Nobody has done more to elevate the AU program above the UA program.

WAR EAGLE!!!

FOR DKW86:

If you were at the game and saw the Dye videos on the Jumbotron:

The one in the locker room where he was telling the players " Some days you lay your guts on the line and come up short, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go out there and lay 'em on the line again . . . and again . . . and again" is after the 1981 :ut: game that we have discussed recently. Lionel James is prominent in the video.

FOR DKW86:

If you were at the game and saw the Dye videos on the Jumbotron:

The one in the locker room where he was telling the players " Some days you lay your guts on the line and come up short, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go out there and lay 'em on the line again . . . and again . . . and again" is after the 1981  :ut: game that we have discussed recently.  Lionel James is prominent in the video.

200709[/snapback]

You mean this one?

I love Dye. He is a great inspiration to me. Inside of my graduation Ring is the inscription 23-22. It is there just to remind me that Dye was right. Even when things arent going your way, It can all change in just "60 minutes."

My personal objection to the field naming was because of how the timing appeared at first. I wondered as if this was some bad idea that would hurt CTT. Well, the timing is very likely due to Dye's health. I dont have anything for sure to tell but everyone I know at Auburn says he is far worse off then we know. Many were absolutely surprised he was there or there and standing.

The pregame was all Dye, as it should have been. But the game and finale was ALL CTT and his team.

Archived