Owner of Toomer's Drug Store passes away

jared52

My mom told me about this just a few minutes ago and I found the following on al.com. I knew him and he was a great Auburn man. I was good friends with his middle daughter in HS and they were a great family. Please pray for them. If I find out the circumstances I'll post them later.

Don Haisten

HAISTEN, DON, of Trussville, Alabama, died November 22, 2005. He was the owner of Haisten Rexall Drug Store from 1979 to present.; owner of Toomers Drug Store, Auburn, AL, from 1999 to present. A member of The First Baptist Church of Trussville, where he was a member of Men on Missions. A 1972 graduate of Auburn. A member of Trussville-East Jefferson Daybreak Rotary Club, Trussville Chamber of Commerce where he served as president in 1982; member of Auburn Chamber of Commerce, Trussville lndustrial Development Board, Lion's Club, Ducks Unlimited, Alabama Pharmaceutical Association and Jefferson County Pharmaceutical Association. He was preceded in death by his father, Dock Haisten. Funeral Service will be Friday, November 25, 2005 at The First Baptist Church of Trussville at 1:00 p.m. The family will receive friends from 11 to 1 p.m. on Friday, November 25, 2005. Burial in Jefferson Memorial Gardens, Trussville for family only. Officiating: Brother James Long and Brother Dewey Corder. Survivors: loving wife, Betty Haisten; daughters, Ashley Haisten Hill (Mike), Stacy Haisten Amerson (Al); Shelley Haisten Kelley (Drew); mother, Virginia Haisten; grandson, Hudson Tyler Hill; and sister, Judy Haisten Filgo (Allen). In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The First Baptist Church, Men on Missions at P.O. Box 27, Trussville, AL 35173. Jefferson Memorial Trussville directing.

EDIT: He was diagnosed with cancer just a month ago and it was very advanced. Nothing worked to get rid of the cancer and he passed away Tuesday.

My mom told me about this just a few minutes ago and I found the following on al.com.  I knew him and he was a great Auburn man.  I was good friends with his middle daughter in HS and they were a great family.  Please pray for them.  If I find out the circumstances I'll post them later.

Don Haisten

HAISTEN, DON, of Trussville, Alabama, died November 22, 2005. He was the owner of Haisten Rexall Drug Store from 1979 to present.; owner of Toomers Drug Store, Auburn, AL, from 1999 to present. A member of The First Baptist Church of Trussville, where he was a member of Men on Missions. A 1972 graduate of Auburn. A member of Trussville-East Jefferson Daybreak Rotary Club, Trussville Chamber of Commerce where he served as president in 1982; member of Auburn Chamber of Commerce, Trussville lndustrial Development Board, Lion's Club, Ducks Unlimited, Alabama Pharmaceutical Association and Jefferson County Pharmaceutical Association. He was preceded in death by his father, Dock Haisten. Funeral Service will be Friday, November 25, 2005 at The First Baptist Church of Trussville at 1:00 p.m. The family will receive friends from 11 to 1 p.m. on Friday, November 25, 2005. Burial in Jefferson Memorial Gardens, Trussville for family only. Officiating: Brother James Long and Brother Dewey Corder. Survivors: loving wife, Betty Haisten; daughters, Ashley Haisten Hill (Mike), Stacy Haisten Amerson (Al); Shelley Haisten Kelley (Drew); mother, Virginia Haisten; grandson, Hudson Tyler Hill; and sister, Judy Haisten Filgo (Allen). In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The First Baptist Church, Men on Missions at P.O. Box 27, Trussville, AL 35173. Jefferson Memorial Trussville directing.

EDIT:  He was diagnosed with cancer just a month ago and it was very advanced.  Nothing worked to get rid of the cancer and he passed away Tuesday.

201142[/snapback]

This is truly sad. I had only recently met he and his wife, at the Arkansas game this year. I still have the 2 "Free lemonade" from Toomers cards in my pocket that he gave me. I don't think I will use them now, just put them away in a scrapbook. He was such a nice man. He and his wife were just great to talk to at the game and I rode beside them on the plane, and back, to the game. A good Auburn man. :au:

He was a first class person and a great auburn man, I can still remember in grade school anyone who happend to make the A-B or A honor roll could go by the store for a free coke and candy.

That's a real shame. If actions speak louder than words, this was truly a great Auburn man.... Prayers for the family....

:au::homer:

He was a first class person and a great auburn man, I can still remember in grade school anyone who happend to make the A-B or A honor roll could go by the store for a free coke and candy.

202093[/snapback]

You were in grade school in 1999? Mr. Haisten bought the store in 1999! :)

He was a great Auburn man but when you've just turned 16 and you want to take his middle daughter out to the movies he gets tougher. I still remember having a really nice dinner at their house and he sat directly across from me and I thought he was going to kill me. Turns out, he really liked me, but alas the relationship lost it's fire after 4 months. Personality differences! :)

202093[/snapback]

You were in grade school in 1999? Mr. Haisten bought the store in 1999! :)

He was a great Auburn man but when you've just turned 16 and you want to take his middle daughter out to the movies he gets tougher. I still remember having a really nice dinner at their house and he sat directly across from me and I thought he was going to kill me. Turns out, he really liked me, but alas the relationship lost it's fire after 4 months. Personality differences! :)

202220[/snapback]

Good god no! I was talking about his first store Haisten Drug in Trussville. Haha in '99 I was getting ready to graduate High School. Maybe should have worded that better the first time. :big:

Good god no! I was talking about his first store Haisten Drug in Trussville. Haha in '99 I was getting ready to graduate High School. Maybe should have worded that better the first time.  :big:

202238[/snapback]

Did you grow up in Trussville? I graduated from HTHS in 1995.

Yes indeed live about two blocks or so away from the old husky barber shop, haisten drug on Magnolia St for 16 years moved to Springville in '99.

Archived