Overloading on recruits?

AuburnGrad02'

Can somebody eplain this to me. How can teams like Texas and GA have so many commits. I thinks Texas has like 32 and Ga 26. I know you can sign more for those who you don't think will qualify. So, if AU signs 35 kids, that means they think that 10 of them won't qualify? The 2 basic rules I thought there were was and 85 man roster and 25 and only 25 schollys per year. Am I wrong here?

like a student,  a university can decommit up until signing day.

214297[/snapback]

So you're saying that a university can have say a wide reciever committed and then get a commit from a stud wide reciever late in the process and not have enough room for both and then tell the first one to take a hike. Has this ever happened?

It probably happens a lot more often than we are aware. I am sure others can tell of instances. I do not know of any firsthand.

I'm sure that it may have happened at some other places, but with the amount of research that the coaches do, their are few signing day surprises.

However, the process that you are talking about goes on all through college football. Our buddies over in west Vance do it better than anyone. How many players did UA get commitments from and how many did they sign last year? They will take a commitment from nearly anybody and weed out the good ones later (in other words throw a lot of s*** at the wall and see what sticks). They then try to get them to agree to greyshirt or stick them in JC and hope they can qualify later and get them back.

Everybody does it to a certain degree, AU seems to do it less than most.

Another aspect of oversigning is the false impression it gives that you are having a better recruiting class than you are REALLY having. If a prospect sees all of these four and five star recruits committing to a school, they would be more inclined to check them out. I hate to keep beating on Alabamas class from last year, but it was a textbook example. They were loaded with four star prospects that didn't qualify. I'm sure they picked up some players who saw these big time guys committing and decided they wanted to see what it was all about. True, Bama will pick some of these guys up later (Ford and Stover), but many will never see the field. It only served to make the class look better than it really was to attract other recruits

Archived