Rating the 2006 Football Schedules

Proud Tiger

The Sporting News has rated the 2006 SEC FB schedules. Thye rate Florida #1 (the toughest).

Auburn is in the middle of the pack at #5.

The easiest schedule (#12) belongs to non other than UAT.

http://www.sportingnews.com/cfootball

I'm glad to see that we've softened our schedule a bit. We used to play one of the nation's toughest schedules year after year and got no credit for doing so.

No surprise that Bammer is at #12. Their philosophy on scheduling has remained constant for decades...... they would play Vandy every other week if the SEC allowed it! Why doesn't Bammer catch any flak about their scheduling; does the media simply choose to ignore it?

Why doesn't Bammer catch any flak about their scheduling; does the media simply choose to ignore it?

218271[/snapback]

Yep, particulary the Alabama media.

Looks like this was before the finalization of the 06 schedule (move around LSU, replace Temple with Buffalo), but that shouldn't have much of an effect on strength of sched. The only thing that isn't taken in to consideration is the fact that we play for 12 straight weeks (no off week unless you consider Ark St and Buffalo)...

Reading the comments of some of the enlightened posters.... Can someone explain to me this media fascination with out of conference schedules and what people say about that?

Why in the world can't an SEC team play a 12-game season, facing potentially 4-5 TOP 10 teams within the conference each freaking year and get any credit for that?

I look around at the media darling teams in other conferences and they may have 4-5 TOP 10 teams (usually don't...but they MAY) on the schedule. What difference does it make if the great teams you are playing are in your own freaking conference or not?

So to win a NC in the SEC, you have to play 4-5 top 10 teams in the regular season, face one of them twice in the SECCG...win all of those...AND schedule all top 25 OOC games??

I just do not get this logic.

Since when are national championships awarded to the team that has the hardest OOC schedule?

The cold in Big10 country has frozen some peoples brains. The comments are laughable coming from yankees, the Big10 plays MAC teams by the dozen and no one ever slams them. I agree CircleDrill, in these morons eyes you have to beat someone big OOC to validate your season, you know why? Cause it comes from the ACC "pre-Miami and VaTech", BigTen and the Pac10; those three conferences are jokes when it comes to having more than one top 10 team in any given week. Who normally wins those three conferences, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, UCLA. The SEC has consistenly had 6 different teams win the championship since the 70's.

Reading the comments of some of the enlightened posters....  Can someone explain to me this media fascination with out of conference schedules and what people say about that?

Why in the world can't an SEC team play a 12-game season, facing potentially 4-5 TOP 10 teams within the conference each freaking year and get any credit for that?

I look around at the media darling teams in other conferences and they may have 4-5 TOP 10 teams (usually don't...but they MAY) on the schedule.  What difference does it make if the great teams you are playing are in your own freaking conference or not?

So to win a NC in the SEC, you have to play 4-5 top 10 teams in the regular season, face one of them twice in the SECCG...win all of those...AND schedule all top 25 OOC games??

Since when are national championships awarded to the team that has the hardest OOC schedule?

218284[/snapback]

My friend, I share your frustration on this subject...but here's a hint. We are not Notre Damned, Miami, Tennessee, Bamar, UGU, Ohio State, Meeeechigan, USC or any of the other media darlings. So we just have to better then they are...which we were for part of this past year, and all of 2004. B)

:au::homer:

Why doesn't Bammer catch any flak about their scheduling; does the media simply choose to ignore it?

218271[/snapback]

218274[/snapback]

Now wait a minute......By some standards their schedule is pretty light in competition. But it is not an easy schedule for them. In fact it may be the roughest schedule they can get and still squeak 7 wins out of. :big:

218271[/snapback]

218274[/snapback]

Now wait a minute......By some standards their schedule is pretty light in competition. But it is not an easy schedule for them. In fact it may be the roughest schedule they can get and still squeak 7 wins out of. :big:

218346[/snapback]

and they still have Gilligan (i mean shula)...

Reading the comments of some of the enlightened posters....  Can someone explain to me this media fascination with out of conference schedules and what people say about that?

I look around at the media darling teams in other conferences and they may have 4-5 TOP 10 teams (usually don't...but they MAY) on the schedule.  What difference does it make if the great teams you are playing are in your own freaking conference or not?

218284[/snapback]

For the media to acklowledge us would be to admit that the SEC is the toughest conference in football year in and year out. That just can't happen.

For the media to acklowledge us would be to admit that the SEC is the toughest conference in football year in and year out. That just can't happen.

218504[/snapback]

You put LSU, UGA, Auburn, Florida.....any one of those in the ACC or the Big 10.... ESPN would have to find a new buzz word because "dynasty" would not even describe it.

218504[/snapback]

You put LSU, UGA, Auburn, Florida.....any one of those in the ACC or the Big 10.... ESPN would have to find a new buzz word because "dynasty" would not even describe it.

218506[/snapback]

It would be "Carolesque" :D

To be fair, the SEC didn't represent too well in the bowls this year (3-3), but we all know that we're still the toughest conference year in and year out. Show me any other conference where six teams (AU, UAT, FL, UGA, UT, and LSU) are consistently ranked in the top 20 almost every year, with at least 2-4 reaching the Top-10 and being considered legitimate MNC contenders at some point during the season each year. Didn't all six of those reach the Top 10 at some point this past season? (Although with UT & FL, it would have been the very early rankings)

The whole OOC conference vs. in-conference things makes no sense to me either. Beating Top-10 teams should count the same regardless of which conference those teams are in.

The whole OOC conference vs. in-conference things makes no sense to me either.  Beating Top-10 teams should count the same regardless of which conference those teams are in.

218534[/snapback]

This was my point exactly. It's almost like those games are negated, or you are penalized if your schedule automatically pits you against those opponents because you are in the same conference. That's just ridiculous man.

From now on when I see/hear this crap I am going to say: Screw OOC schedules. That's for wimps that don't play in a real conference.

Eh, I think Colorado/Tech gives us a little better of a ranking then that  :)

218663[/snapback]

Hey at least you guys dont have to sweat Florida Intl. like Bama :blink:

218663[/snapback]

218675[/snapback]

Not to mention that powerhouse that strikes fear into the hearts of teams all across America....DUKE! ;)

218663[/snapback]

218675[/snapback]

Not to mention that powerhouse that strikes fear into the hearts of teams all across America....DUKE! ;)

218689[/snapback]

with all that UAT is losing, and the fact that Shula is still there, doesn't even make DUKE a lock for a UAT win... Only time i cheer for anything DUKE....but will be that saturday in the fall..

Archived