Finebaum Boycott working

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/movies/birminghamnews/bc...2810.xml&coll=2

Eli Gold left the station after his contract expired last February and was replaced by Taylor and Kurre. NBC 13's Jim Dunaway teamed with JOX's Ryan Brown to co-host the new "Dunaway and Brown" show, and in April, Kelly Hunter joined Herb Winches and Ray Melick on "The Big Time."

That last move appears to be working for JOX. For the first time in memory, the station beat WERC-AM's Paul Finebaum in the afternoon drive-time ratings. "The Big Time" received a 3.0 share among all listeners 12 years and older in the fall Arbitron ratings, while "The Paul Finebaum Radio Network" got a 2.8 share, down dramatically from a 6.4 the previous fall.

:clap::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::clap:

Since I've never heard his show, i assume this is a good thing.

All i've seen of him, is the quotes that other posters put up on the board..

Guest Tigrinum Major

The Big Time is atrocious. Kelly Hunter is nothing more than eye candy. Herb is an idiot. Ray Melick is a former Bama beat writer.

This is a blip on the radar.

The Big Time is atrocious.  Kelly Hunter is nothing more than eye candy.  Herb is an idiot.  Ray Melick is a former Bama beat writer.

218698[/snapback]

:homer: Mmmmm..... Sweet, sweet, Candy.... :homer:

I agree with your statements, and will add that Herb is a big Bama homer, but they're still better than Finebaum. Kelly may be eye candy, but I would put her sports knowledge up against Finebaum any day. And, she seems to know enough to rile a certain Mr. T Major - which makes for some interesting bulletin board material :poke:

Guest Tigrinum Major
The Big Time is atrocious.  Kelly Hunter is nothing more than eye candy.  Herb is an idiot.  Ray Melick is a former Bama beat writer.

218698[/snapback]

:homer: Mmmmm..... Sweet, sweet, Candy.... :homer:

I agree with your statements, and will add that Herb is a big Bama homer, but they're still better than Finebaum. Kelly may be eye candy, but I would put her sports knowledge up against Finebaum any day. And, she seems to know enough to rile a certain Mr. T Major - which makes for some interesting bulletin board material :poke:

218794[/snapback]

She never did reply to my further points in my emails, so I am assuming that she conceded defeat.

Maybe this picture doesn't do her justice, but I've seen a lot better. Not bad for radio though. :big:

962464.jpg

At least with someone else, AU fans won't have to listen to the daily parade of Bammers calling in like Phyllis, Shane, et al. and the constant stream of shoddy remarks by the SCUM about Auburn. I only wish they would cancel his show....altogether! Lets boycott his show big time and let him know why via emails. ;):thumbsup::cheer:

Well, the basic problem with the Finebaum program has more to do with content. And I don't mean his Auburn bashing.

This afternoon, I was picking my daughter up from school, and they launched into a discussion of gay sex. So I turned off the radio.

Last week, they were talking about an elderly gentleman who had called earlier. I had my kids in the car. They referred to the caller as "an old fart." So I turned off the radio.

Every day, they have the same ringers call up and go through the same scripted routines. Phyllis from Mulga, Shane at 4 pm, and Jim at about 2:45. They go through the same shtick day after day, without variation.

Paul and Neil go through the usual Mutt n' Jeff routine on the issues of the day. Yet nobody told them that they're fifth-rate comedians. They're actually worse than morning radio "personalities" who, in turn, are the chief reason that iPods and satellite radios are selling like hotcakes.

Finebaum's chief asset? His ability to get great interviews with great sportswriters. That's it. His prognostication ability is a little more accurate than sticking his finger in the wind. Essentially, this man had profited from all the turmoil in the Alabama coaching program. Now that things have stabilized somewhat, the listening public has much less use for the man.

So, I think his drop off in listenership has less to do with any boycott. Instead, I submit that his format is really tired and needs a fix and fast.

Phyllis from Mulga doesn't call anymore!

Well, the basic problem with the Finebaum program has more to do with content. And I don't mean his Auburn bashing.

This afternoon, I was picking my daughter up from school, and they launched into a discussion of gay sex. So I turned off the radio.

Last week, they were talking about an elderly gentleman who had called earlier. I had my kids in the car. They referred to the caller as "an old fart." So I turned off the radio.

Every day, they have the same ringers call up and go through the same scripted routines. Phyllis from Mulga, Shane at 4 pm, and Jim at about 2:45. They go through the same shtick day after day, without variation.

Paul and Neil go through the usual Mutt n' Jeff routine on the issues of the day. Yet nobody told them that they're fifth-rate comedians. They're actually worse than morning radio "personalities" who, in turn, are the chief reason that iPods and satellite radios are selling like hotcakes.

Finebaum's chief asset? His ability to get great interviews with great sportswriters. That's it. His prognostication ability is a little more accurate than sticking his finger in the wind. Essentially, this man had profited from all the turmoil in the Alabama coaching program. Now that things have stabilized somewhat, the listening public has much less use for the man.

So, I think his drop off in listenership has less to do with any boycott. Instead, I submit that his format is really tired and needs a fix and fast.

218980[/snapback]

since the brainless station manager took the coachs ,sonny and wimp, offf the air, i know longer listen to bammerham radio.....they were the only people on that crummy station that i listened to......gave up finesperm last year.....sports radio in bammerham is laughable

Maybe this picture doesn't do her justice, but I've seen a lot better. Not bad for radio though.  :big:

962464.jpg

218805[/snapback]

LOL First of all, it is radio. Secondly, do you really think you would have a chance with her. It is a two dimensional picture. What are you going to do with it? Make love to it??

but, but wait, SI said it was the 12th best show in the country. Does that mean there are 11 shows in the US worse than this one? WOW. Radio really sucks.

oh uat is back also according to that hack mag. They gone from being a sports

magazine to being an Enquirer wannabe.

When football season starts up, they will be back on top, but on top of what?

The dung pile?

but, but wait, SI said it was the 12th best show in the country. Does that mean there are 11 shows in the US worse than this one? WOW. Radio really sucks.

oh uat is back also according to that hack mag. They gone from being a sports

magazine to being an Enquirer wannabe.

When football season starts up, they will be back on top, but on top of what?

The dung pile?

219609[/snapback]

Actually they/he fell off during the football season. The ratings were for the 2005 football season.

since the brainless station manager took the coachs ,sonny and wimp, offf the air, i know longer listen to bammerham radio.....they were the only people on that crummy station that i listened to......gave up finesperm last year.....sports radio in bammerham is laughable

219490[/snapback]

That was the absolute WORST show on birmingham radio. ugh...

Finebaum is now hurting because UA and AU fans are getting wise to his business model: Dog bama and get mad bama fans calling in and AU fans poking fun at bama...then in 3-6 months reverse...and repeat.

People got tired of his agenda based crap. If he would just have a show..more guests...less Vickers...it would be fine.

The Big Time show sucks because they think they are bigger than birmingham or all things alabama and auburn. So they try to avoid talking up either program. Because they think that would make them "simple" or something.

pondscum is a uater in UT clothing. No doubt about it. :moon:

219490[/snapback]

That was the absolute WORST show on birmingham radio. ugh...

Finebaum is now hurting because UA and AU fans are getting wise to his business model: Dog bama and get mad bama fans calling in and AU fans poking fun at bama...then in 3-6 months reverse...and repeat.

People got tired of his agenda based crap. If he would just have a show..more guests...less Vickers...it would be fine.

The Big Time show sucks because they think they are bigger than birmingham or all things alabama and auburn. So they try to avoid talking up either program. Because they think that would make them "simple" or something.

219723[/snapback]

I havent heard TBTS. I know BG is right on about PF tho. His show WAS okay. But now? It is very reptitive and frankly, I cant stand JFT, I-man, and please someone shoot Catherine.

Boring, boring, boring....

Everyday at the same time she scares me to BG almost like getting hit on by your best friends grandmother!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does that Catherine chick still call in?

UGH that lady makes my skin crawl. She sounds like a serial killer.

219771[/snapback]

Archived