Bird Brains

Tiger in Spain

Per a report TX Parks & Wildlife put out last year, this is a very common type of hunting accident.

Link

March 14, 2005

Texas Hunting Accidents Drop to Record Low

AUSTIN, Texas – A new report shows Texas hunting accidents in 2004 decreased to the lowest amount since statistical records began in 1966. The number of people injured in hunting accidents in Texas decreased from 44 in 2003 to 29 in 2004, although fatalities increased from two to four during the same period.

The primary reason for Texas hunting accidents remains swinging on game outside a safe zone of fire. This happens when a person points a firearm at another hunter while following a moving target, such as a flying game bird. Hunter education teaches people to set up safe zones of fire where a gun can be safely pointed whether the target is moving or stationary.

Some statistics seem to defy stereotypical expectations. Most accidents do not happen under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Most of the people involved had more than 10 years of hunting experience. Most were in light to open cover with clear visibility in good weather.

Other findings verify what might be expected. Most people involved did not attend a hunter education course or wear any type of hunter orange clothing. Most accidents violated a cardinal rule of hunter safety, were situated in or around a vehicle or stand, and occurred toward dusk and involved fatigue as a factor.

Dove hunting had close to twice the number of accidents (11) as the next highest accident category for 2004, deer hunting (6). This is because hunting birds on the wing involves the greatest risk of swinging on game outside the safe zone of fire.

As for us blasting Bill Clinton if he had shot someone, I don't know that we WOULD blast him, other than say what I at least have been saying about Cheney - that it was a stupid mistake, he is lucky it wasn't worse, and that the guy who got shot bears some of the blame. Walking in front of a hunting group without alerting them to your presence is like walking down range before everyone stops shooting - it's pretty dumb. I am not a hunter at all, but even I would know better than that, I am sure. I also doubt that Cheney would be found guilty by a jury in south Texas - PEOPLE HERE HUNT AND USE AND OWN GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! They would probably agree, as I do, that the victim bears some degree of responsibility, however slight.If Bill Clinton went hunting for the first time on some political stunt, I would probably blast him if he shot someone because anything to do with guns must be done safely.

I also questioned why the media reported he was using buck shot to shoot at quail - you'd get back a handful of feathers and a piece of breast meat with lead in it! My dad quail hunts and I knew that was not right. Yet another reason why Cheney chose a local paper to break the news. He knew the pinko vegan papers who think hunting is a barbaric sport would get it wrong... and they did...

And who's to say that the Corpus paper is any less a legitimate media source than the freaking NYT? They are just pissed that they all got scooped. And the lady that owns the ranch used to be in media or public relations - she was a good friend, and no novice at dealing with the press. It's not like he got the camp cook to make a statement.

All in all - MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING...

"One can only hope others agree...that the reprehensible [Dick] Cheney will be hounded from public life the way [Ted] Kennedy was all those years ago. One would hate to think folks would just let it slide and three decades from now this Cheney guy will be sitting on some committee picking Supreme Court justices and whatnot." — Mark Steyn

I hope all our fine barristers at AUNations can take a joke. Of course, all of the lawyers that post here fall under catagory #5 of the bag limts below anyway! :D

Anyway, a friend just e-mailed the following and I couldn't help but laugh. (He happens to be a lawyer himself.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. - A White House source stated that Congress is considering awarding Vice-President Dick Cheney the Medal of Freedom, the national highest civilian commendation, for his act of bravery in shooting an attorney.

The source was quoted to say " All Americans have wanted to shoot a lawyer at one time or another and Cheney actually had the guts to do it".

In a related story, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which issues hunting licenses, said that it will start requiring hunters, wishing to bag a lawyer, to have the new "lawyer's stamp" on their hunting license.  Currently Texas hunters are required to carry stamps for hunting birds, deer, and bear, at a cost of $7 annually.  The new "lawyers stamp" will cost $100, but  open season will be all year long.

The department further stated that although the "lawyers stamp" comes at hefty price, sales have been brisk and it is believed it will generate annual revenues in excess of $3 billion dollars the first year.  Other states are considering similar hunting license stamps.

Also:

New State of Texas Hunting laws - Attorney season and bag limits:

1. Any person with a valid Texas State hunting license may harvest attorneys.

2. Taking of attorneys with traps or deadfalls is permitted.  The use of currency as bait is prohibited.

3. Killing of attorneys with a vehicle is prohibited.  If accidentally struck, remove dead attorney to roadside and proceed to nearest car wash.

4. It is unlawful to chase, herd or harvest attorneys from a snow machine, helicopter or aircraft.

5. It shall be unlawful to shout "whiplash," "ambulance" or "free Perrier" for the purpose of trapping attorneys.

6. It shall be unlawful to hunt attorneys within 100 yards of BMW dealerships.

7. It shall be unlawful to use cocaine, young boys, $100 bills,  prostitutes or vehicle accidents to attract attorneys.

8. It shall be unlawful to hunt attorneys within 200 yards of courtrooms, law libraries, health spas, gay bars, ambulances or hospitals.

9. If an attorney is elected to government office, it shall be a felony to hunt, trap, or possess it.

10. Stuffed or mounted attorneys must have a state health department inspection for AIDS, rabies, and vermin.

11. It shall be illegal for a hunter to disguise himself as a reporter, drug dealer, pimp, female legal clerk, sheep, accident victim, bookie or tax accountant for the purpose of hunting attorneys.

BAG LIMITS

1. Yellow Bellied Sidewinder ... 2

2. Two-faced Tort Feasor ... 3

3. Back-stabbing Divorce Litigator ... 5

4. Big-mouthed Pub Gut ... 2

5. Honest Attorney ...(Endangered Species--no hunting allowed)

6. Cut-throat ... 2

7. Back-stabbing Whiner ... 2

8. Brown-nosed Judge Kisser ... 2

9. Silver-tongued Drug Defender ... $100 bounty

Archived