Top college football stadiums

AUHansel

I was looking up some lists on google and I found a couple. Dennis Dodd of cbssportsline.com had one article

and then I found this one on rateitall.com which is just laughable because it's just fans voting max for their team and the worst possible for their rivals. Reading the comments is funny because you see some Bammer logic. Bama and UGA fans seem to vote our stadium as a one star out of 5. Not that I really care what fans of other teams think, but I just thought it was funny.

rateitall.com list

what are some of your favorites (besides Jordan-Hare)

Love the cow patty references...you would think that would get old with the Bammers. One Gump said something about how dismal Auburn's record is at Jordan-Hare, I think Stat could shut that person up quick. I've never been to Bryant-Denny but I have seen it enough on tv, it isn't that appealing in terms of looks...what is with the wall in one endzone?

Maybe it is me but Michigan not being in anyone's Top 10 Stadium list is a joke

220780[/snapback]

That is a laugh. Maybe just once, I will be able to visit that stadium in person to see if it looks as overwhelming as it does on television.

Love the cow patty references...you would think that would get old with the Bammers. One Gump said something about how dismal Auburn's record is at Jordan-Hare, I think Stat could shut that person up quick. I've never been to Bryant-Denny but I have seen it enough on tv, it isn't that appealing in terms of looks...what is with the wall in one endzone?

Having been there for the '00, '02 and '04 Iron Bowls I can tell you that is not very appealing. Other than possibly the first half of the '04 game, it never came close to being as loud as JHS. Even then it wasn't really that close IMO.

I was looking up some lists on google and I found a couple. Dennis Dodd of cbssportsline.com had one article

and then I found this one on rateitall.com which is just laughable because it's just fans voting max for their team and the worst possible for their rivals. Reading the comments is funny because you see some Bammer logic. Bama and UGA fans seem to vote our stadium as a one star out of 5. Not that I really care what fans of other teams think, but I just thought it was funny.

rateitall.com list

220775[/snapback]

It's obvious that Dennis has never been to an AU/Bamar, UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Syracuse, GT and on an on...game at JHS.

While it is very loud and "hostile" in Baton Rouge, the BEST "Away" stadium I have visited is Athens, Ga.

GREAT trip..... each and every time! :au:

p.s. Why in the world JH west is on this list is beyond me. What a joke.

220910[/snapback]

Probably for the circus music and atmosphere you get there every time.

220810[/snapback]

BAMAR...0 and forever vs AU at JHS-WEST...nuff said!

:au::homer:

The best away stadium I've been to was my last trip to Vanderbilt.

"Vanderbilt???!!!", you say?

Yeah...it was full of AUBURN FANS!!! :)

LSU is fun, in a sick sorta way. I noticed that BDS got a 9.5 in tradition to JHS 9. Most of that tradition likely took place at legion field :puke: . I mean bama had never even beaten a top 5 team there until this year and that was a joke too. Where did UF finish? enough said.

220910[/snapback]

because it really is officially Tommy Tuberville field.....

I really liked Neyland Stadium in Knoxville when I went up there for the '04 game. Great stadium for college football, sound echoes extremely well. The band forms the power-T and the Vols come out onto the field..

Tiger Stadium's atmosphere is second to none .. I'll go to the Swamp in 2007 and then offer my two cents about that one.

Here's how Id rank them (trying my best to be objective)

LSU

UF

Bama

UGA

South Carolina

Auburn

UT

Arkansas

Ole Miss

UK

MSU

Vandy

UT loses points for the seats being SO damn close together

Bama gets a bump for the rennovations to be complete by August. (expanded to 94k seats among other upgrades)

LSU has as much to do with the fans as it does the stadium

There's really a break after UT...but Arkansas is closing the gap. Their Jumbotron is crazy big.

UK's commonwealth stadium HAS to be miles ahead of MSU's dump though.

Here's how Id rank them (trying my best to be objective)

LSU

UF

Bama

UGA

South Carolina

Auburn

UT

Arkansas

Ole Miss

UK

MSU

Vandy

UT loses points for the seats being SO damn close together

Bama gets a bump for the rennovations to be complete by August. (expanded to 94k seats among other upgrades)

LSU has as much to do with the fans as it does the stadium

There's really a break after UT...but Arkansas is closing the gap. Their Jumbotron is crazy big.

UK's commonwealth stadium HAS to be miles ahead of MSU's dump though.

221047[/snapback]

how is that addition going to add 10,000 seats to BDS?

how is that addition going to add 10,000 seats to BDS?

They are capping the entire north endzone including upper deck (it will now be a complete horseshoe shape) with skyboxes and seats.

i'll rate all the opposing stadiums that i've been to and exclude jordan-hare b/c me saying i'll be "objective" about it is like saying i'll "stay cool" at a sports illustrated swimsuit photo shoot... it won't happen.

The Swamp... loudest. place. ever. every bit as good as advertised

Death Valley... it's loud and the people are right on top of you and the food's pretty good. (would've rated lower until this year b/c i'd never seen auburn with a lead at tiger stadium in two previous trys, and even that place loses its edge during blowouts)

Neyland... not nearly as loud as expected, but it's a ton of folks and the trappings are top notch

The Coliseum... good food, lively crowd (surprisingly for L.A.), and great seats and again the trappings are great.

Razorback stadium... good seating. i was really low and could still see. plus that jumbotron is a sight all on its own

Sanford... good view, unique stadium, major points off b/c that stadium is EASILY the quietest of the "big" stadiums in the sec. i think the noise leaks out of the open endzone, but whatever it is, it just never gets as loud as any of the ones ahead of it accept maybe arkansas (which holds 20K less) plus the biggest "tradition" (dawg walk) is a rip off.

Bryant-Denny... there are some really bad seats at this place. seriously. i thought about moving it up on the list b/c the club seats in front of the visitor seating really make a great place to celebrate (got in the paper twice b/c of that lower level), but i just couldn't do it. traditionally a dead crowd in my experience.

Commonwealth... the fans don't pay attention. at all. but the seating is pretty good, and the stadium is pretty nice.

Bobby Dodd... i actually hated my time here, but the stadium was okay from what i recall.

Davis Wade stadium... small and cozy, nice seats, great food. guaranteed win.

Vaught-Hemingway... when they "expanded" 10K seats, they just renumbered the old ones tighter together. seriously, look for the old numbers next time you go. i hate that place.

Vanderbilt... it's a high school stadium right down to the shoddy turf.

for the record, i'd put jordan-hare at 2 or 3 depending on the game. big game, it's tough to top auburn, but the cajuns are more consistently beligerent. and i hear williams-brice is a great place to catch a game, but i'll be out of the country when we play there this year... too bad.

I haven't been to all stadiums in the SEC. I have been to UF, UGA, UK, Ole Miss, and MSU. IMO, for loudness, nothing compares to The Swamp and probably LSU, from what I have heard. I was at the '94 game at the Swamp,a nd it was down right crazy loud the whole time!!!!! As far as atmosphere, I love gamedays on the Loveliest Village on the Plains. I also enjoyed going to Sanford stadium. I went to Ole Miss back in 1992 as a freshman coming into AU, and it was laughable. My high school stadium in Russellville was nearly as big as Ole Piss!!

Neyland Stadium and Death Valley would rival in volume, with probably DV getting the nod from my personal experience. I was there for the "earthquake" game and I could not hear for a few hours after that TD catch. If UT is winning, Neyland gets very loud, but it is equally quiet when the Vols are losing. I have only been to the Swamp once, before it was termed the Swamp in '91. That was a miserable experience to say the least.

Sorry...the one game I've been to in the "Swamp" was the biggest disappointment of an overhyped stadium, EVER! The AU fans outyelled the Gator fans...and the place is a filthy pig stye. I don't understand the infatuation with that hole at all....

I have not been to as many stadiums as I would like, but here is my two cents:

1. Jordan-Hare Stadium: For big games the crowd is usually awesome...we could use a little more consistent support for the smaller games. Watching the eagle fly and rolling Toomer's Corner are obviously wonderful traditions.

2. The Swamp-went here for the 1994 and 1996 AU-UF games. This place is loud and crazy. Highly recommended.

3. Samford Stadium-was here for the 1995 AU-UGA game. Pretty stadium, not quite as loud as the two above. The night I went was freezing cold, but I still thought it was a nice place.

4. Sugar Bowl (Super Dome): Was at the 2005 Sugar Bowl. The Sugar Bowl itself is not the best facility, but it can get pretty loud in there, and you can't beat all the New Orleans attractions (not sure how this one ranks after Katrina).

5. Outback Bowl (the Sombrero): Was at the 1996 Outback Bowl. This was actually a pretty neat looking stadium, even though I wish I could cleanse the memory of this game from my mind.

6. Scott Stadium (Virginia)-saw the 1997 AU-UVA game. The stadium is smallish, and the fans are a bit subdued (they kept asking me to sit), but the stadium is pretty, for whatever that's worth.

7. Legion Field-went to the 1987, 1988 and 1996 Iron Bowls. it was kind of neat when the stands were split (before I get flamed I am obviously glad that the series is now home and home), and of course you can't beat the intensity of an Iron Bowl, but the stadium is a dump in the middle of the hood.

8. Atlanta Fulton County Stadium-Was here for the 1990 Peach Bowl. Dump.

Top of my list to go see: LSU's Death Valley, Neyland and the Rose Bowl.

Neyland Stadium and Death Valley would rival in volume, with probably DV getting the nod from my personal experience.  I was there for the "earthquake" game and I could not hear for a few hours after that TD catch.  If UT is winning, Neyland gets very loud, but it is equally quiet when the Vols are losing.  I have only been to the Swamp once, before it was termed the Swamp in '91.  That was a miserable experience to say the least.

221125[/snapback]

AT LAST, THE TRUTH!!! BLESS YOU, MY BROTHER!!! Growing up in north Florida I attended more than a few games during my life at The Sewer . . . er, I mean The Swamp, and if I EVER have to go back to lousy-stinking-rotten-cheesy-bug-infested Gainesville again, it'll be too soon. The Swamp has to be the most overrated stadium, and has to provide the most overrated home field advantage of any sports venue I've visited, and I've been to a few. OK, it does get loud when the ol' mighty gators make a play or two, but, really, when your signature 'cheer' (aside from all the F*&($&(# YOU!!s rained on me by my gracious hosts) is a not a cheer at all, but a clap, exactly how intimidated do you expect me to be? (Same goes for UT / Neyland . . . I'm convinced there's a special circle of hell reserved for Florida and Tennessee fans . . . )

That said, the best stadiums I've visited (other than JHS) are:

LOUDEST:

Death Valley, LSU (at night) - No contest. As much as I dislike LSU, if you haven't experienced Saturday Night in Death Valley, your SEC / college football experience isn't complete.

QUITEST:

Vanderbilt. Duh? (Honorable mention to bryant-denny - but only when Auburn's playing there . . . :D )

AESTHETICS:

Prettiest stadium - Sanford Stadium, UGA. The only SEC stadium in the same league as JHS in this category.

Ugliest - Scott Field, Miss St. Glorified high school stadium surrounded by a campus that looks more like a military base.

OVERALL FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERE:

Best - I really can't name one . . . None compare to JHS. (NOTE: I'm looking forward to my first trip to Columbia this year; USC fans are hard-core.)

Worst - Miss St and / or Vandy. (UGA gets honorable mention b/c of its pathetic student section - many don't even show till halftime; UT and UF for the above-mentioned reasons.)

OVERALL GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE:

Best - Again, in my mind, no one comes close to Auburn, but I have to acknowledge Ole Miss for The Grove and The Square. (Honorable mention to Vandy, but only because I love Nashville . . . you don't even have to go to the game!)

Worst - Starkghanistan. Watermelon in a cowfield, followed by a cowbell seranade. What could be better???

10,000 more seats @ JH West? GREAT! More AU Fans can watch our guys WIN, again, On Tuberville Field! ! ! :au::cheer::cheer::cheer:

(UGA gets honorable mention b/c of its pathetic student section - many don't even show till halftime; UT and UF for the above-mentioned reasons.)   

Woah, what?

In 4 years at UGA, the student section was just about the first part of the stadium to fill up.

Granted, our noise has never been tremendous but we don't claim to be as loud as other SEC stadiums

Texas and Texas A&M are neck and neck for my 2nd place vote. I've been inside both. They live up to the saying that everything is bigger in Texas. Monstrous places, just monstrous.

Texas

royal_memorial_530.jpg

Texas A&M

kylefield.jpg

Archived