Top college football stadiums

AUHansel

starkville's not so bad. you just have to know what you are getting. it's got GREAT food (only place that even comes close to topping it is lsu with the cajun eats). the bbq is better than memphis. it's got country fans, and it's a small stadium. BUT the seats are full sized (unlike some other places in the conference) and every seats a pretty good seat (and i'll take any college stadium that has the nerve to actually use bleachers for two full seasons).

when i went to the swamp, duval missed that kick from about 22 yards out to send the game into OT, and i legitimately thought i was going deaf. seriously, i was on the second row behind our team and i've never heard a stadium that loud, death valley included.

if we're including non-home stadiums, the superdome was the best i've ever been to. who knows if it'll ever be back up and running again, but i'll keep my fingers crossed b/c any excuse to party in new orleans, watch football, and party in new orleans is a good one. after that, i'd say the georgia dome is a great place for a game, then the citrus bowl, then the outback, then legion field... i hated that place.

Best Experience:

Neyland, good fans and some noises. Nice place, by the river.

Most Exciting:

Florida Field, loudest place I have ever been. EVER! Only JHS is near that loud that consistently.

Honorable Mention:

LSU, deafening at moments during a game, but not as consistent as JHS or BHGS. Good campus too.

Eerily Quiet: BDS I have been there many times and have marvelled at how quiet the fans are. I mean stunningly quiet. My RE family members and the Yell Crew Website both talk about the "dont bother me with your yelling" fans there. Yell Crew has even gone as far asking them to give up their seats to get the noise level up in BDS. BDS has a much older clientele than any stadium in the SEC and it shows in the noise level.

Scott Field: Some noise there. @#$% Cow bells! cleaner and newer than I ever would have thought. Just looks so second class in size next to BDS, JHS, etc.

Legion Field: UGH!!!!! Hope I never have to go there ever again. WHAT A DUMP! It needs a lot of money and the War Zone neighborhoods razed immediately. It could be a nioce place again but the fued in Bham will never end and the right thing will never get done there. I mean they are fighting now over re-installing astro turf again. Astro-turf? Why waste the money? Kiss off the soccer matches etc when that happens.

10,000 more seats @ JH West?  GREAT! More AU Fans can watch our guys WIN, again, On Tuberville Field! ! ! :au:   :cheer:   :cheer:   :cheer:

221177[/snapback]

With the addition of seating for 10K more :ua: fans, I hear that Tahd Pride will now be accepting foodstamps as payment for season tickets.

My favorite stadiums (outside of JHS) are Sanford and Tiger.

(UGA gets honorable mention b/c of its pathetic student section - many don't even show till halftime; UT and UF for the above-mentioned reasons.)   

Woah, what?

In 4 years at UGA, the student section was just about the first part of the stadium to fill up.

Granted, our noise has never been tremendous but we don't claim to be as loud as other SEC stadiums

221186[/snapback]

I've been to three AU-UGA games and two UGA - Ga Tech games (i.e., rivalry games) at Sanford Stadium, and the student section has NEVER been full at kickoff - usually not till later in the first half. To be fair, though, the last time I was there was in '99 (i.e., AU 31-0 at half). Maybe things have improved in the Mark Richt era.

I've been to three AU-UGA games and two UGA - Ga Tech games (i.e., rivalry games) at Sanford Stadium, and the student section has NEVER been full at kickoff - usually not till later in the first half.  To be fair, though, the last time I was there was in '99 (i.e., AU 31-0 at half).  Maybe things have improved in the Mark Richt era.

221302[/snapback]

Right, I mean...I went to all UGA home games from 2001-2004 and I always saw the student section filling up first outside of specific parts of the stadium where groups arrived (like beneath the sky boxes).

(UGA gets honorable mention b/c of its pathetic student section - many don't even show till halftime; UT and UF for the above-mentioned reasons.)   

Woah, what?

In 4 years at UGA, the student section was just about the first part of the stadium to fill up.

Granted, our noise has never been tremendous but we don't claim to be as loud as other SEC stadiums

221186[/snapback]

I've been to three AU-UGA games and two UGA - Ga Tech games (i.e., rivalry games) at Sanford Stadium, and the student section has NEVER been full at kickoff - usually not till later in the first half. To be fair, though, the last time I was there was in '99 (i.e., AU 31-0 at half). Maybe things have improved in the Mark Richt era.

221302[/snapback]

you don't know what you're talking about...the student section for UGA is split up. Some are in the upper deck, while some are in the lower section. They have some very good fans, especially their students. I was born and raised in Georgia and people live and breathe UGA football. I've been to several games there and I've been in their student section and it's been packed to the brim. You have no idea what you're talking about.

and BG...I knew what they were adding I just didn't think that it would add more than 5 - 7thousand seats. It just doesn't look like a big enough expansion. I believe you, but I just can't visualize that many people in that area.

you don't know what you're talking about...the student section for UGA is split up. Some are in the upper deck, while some are in the lower section. They have some very good fans, especially their students. I was born and raised in Georgia and people live and breathe UGA football. I've been to several games there and I've been in their student section and it's been packed to the brim. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Who do you think you are, my dad? First of all, I, too, lived in Georgia for a number of years, and, with one side of the family all UGA fans (and having grown up a Tech fan, then gone to school at AU), believe me, I'm painfully aware of how devout UGA fans are. Second, I qualified my comment, saying that I hadn't been to a game at Sanford since Richt took over. If it's gotten better since then, yippee for the dawgs. That said, while it's not clear to me at all what the student section being split up has to do with anything, if the student section was split in '99, all the students must have been in the upper deck, because there were almost NO students in the lower level at kickoff. I actually called my friend - a UGA fan sitting in the UGA student section (such that it was) - sometime during the SECOND QUARTER to harass him after AU / Ronney Daniels jumped up big. My comment: "The only sad part is that none of your [students] are here to enjoy it . . ." His reply, "Yeah, it's embarassing. They're going to be extra pissed when they get here, too. They'll just want to turn around and leave." I must have made that up. That and the great pleasure I took strolling to the bathroom only a few minutes before HALFTIME listened to all the frat boys and their dates complaining ON THEIR WAY IN about how they "should've stayed at the house."

Can't believe I've wasted this much time over a blowout that happened 6 1/2 years ago. Sorry to everyone else for the rant (and for the prior misfires - I'm having some technical issues today). To Hansel, if you want to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, fine, please have something to back it up. Otherwise, kindly get over yourself.

You said that UGA had one of the worst atmospheres and I dissagree with you. Every time I've been to a game in Athens it's been a very good atmosphere. I just can't remember it when students wouldn't show up. Maybe they didn't when you went, but I was just pointing out that the student section is broken up and maybe you were misjudging where the section actually was.

I said that you don't know what you're talking about and you have proven me right. You haven't been there in 6 years and maybe it has changed, but you didn't state that in your first post and I did not believe that comment. I didn't mean to be a jerk but it seemed to me that you were just raggin' on their stadium and atmosphere because they are a rival. If you were not, I apologise.

I've been to three AU-UGA games and two UGA - Ga Tech games (i.e., rivalry games) at Sanford Stadium, and the student section has NEVER been full at kickoff - usually not till later in the first half.  To be fair, though, the last time I was there was in '99 (i.e., AU 31-0 at half).  Maybe things have improved in the Mark Richt era.

221302[/snapback]

Right, I mean...I went to all UGA home games from 2001-2004 and I always saw the student section filling up first outside of specific parts of the stadium where groups arrived (like beneath the sky boxes).

221494[/snapback]

Geez, Hansel, if a dawg fan can give me the benefit of the doubt, why can't you? ;) For the record, although I'll admit that UGA is an arch-enemy to me, I don't have any problem with their stadium or their atmosphere. In fact (as I stated), I think (other than JHS / Auburn) Sanford Stadium is the best stadium, and Athens is easily the best college town, in the SEC, maybe the nation. Really all I was saying was that it's a shame their students don't - or, at least, formerly did not - turn out in force. (Note, too, that I was only targeting the students, not UGA fans generally.) In my experience, the student sections at places like LSU, UF, UT and uat (and, of course, Auburn) are packed long before kickoff of rivalry games. That was not my experience at UGA - but, then again, maybe the kids then were less than inspired by the likes of Ray Goff and Jim Donnan . . . ;) If things have changed, good for them; it's about time they got with the program.

Here's how Id rank them (trying my best to be objective)

LSU

UF

Bama

UGA

South Carolina

Auburn

UT

Arkansas

Ole Miss

UK

MSU

Vandy

UT loses points for the seats being SO damn close together

Bama gets a bump for the rennovations to be complete by August. (expanded to 94k seats among other upgrades)

LSU has as much to do with the fans as it does the stadium

There's really a break after UT...but Arkansas is closing the gap. Their Jumbotron is crazy big.

UK's commonwealth stadium HAS to be miles ahead of MSU's dump though.

221047[/snapback]

how is that addition going to add 10,000 seats to BDS?

221055[/snapback]

http://www.rolltide.com/Facilities/5083.asp

here is the link to the stadium expansion info

They are capping the entire north endzone including upper deck (it will now be a complete horseshoe shape) with skyboxes and seats.

221058[/snapback]

in other words the guys will sit in each other's laps celebrating `Brokeback mountain'!

They are capping the entire north endzone including upper deck (it will now be a complete horseshoe shape) with skyboxes and seats.

221058[/snapback]

in other words the guys will sit in each other's laps celebrating `Brokeback mountain'!

221817[/snapback]

no no no.... that only happens at LSU, remember (whose got the pic?)... i heard they're renaming it "Brokeback Valley"... :big:

Woah, what?

221186[/snapback]

221302[/snapback]

and BG...I knew what they were adding I just didn't think that it would add more than 5 - 7thousand seats. It just doesn't look like a big enough expansion. I believe you, but I just can't visualize that many people in that area.

221688[/snapback]

"The expansion of the north end zone area of Bryant-Denny Stadium will include building a new plaza area leading to this magnificent facility that would include additional sky boxes and a club level area as well as traditional upper deck seating. The expansion will add approximately 10,000 seats to Bryant-Denny Stadium."

Here's how Id rank them (trying my best to be objective)

LSU

UF

Bama

UGA

South Carolina

Auburn

UT

Arkansas

Ole Miss

UK

MSU

Vandy

UT loses points for the seats being SO damn close together

Bama gets a bump for the rennovations to be complete by August. (expanded to 94k seats among other upgrades)

LSU has as much to do with the fans as it does the stadium

There's really a break after UT...but Arkansas is closing the gap. Their Jumbotron is crazy big.

UK's commonwealth stadium HAS to be miles ahead of MSU's dump though.

221047[/snapback]

221055[/snapback]

http://www.rolltide.com/Facilities/5083.asp

here is the link to the stadium expansion info

221800[/snapback]

When is this supposed to be completed??

221302[/snapback]

221494[/snapback]

Geez, Hansel, if a dawg fan can give me the benefit of the doubt, why can't you? ;) For the record, although I'll admit that UGA is an arch-enemy to me, I don't have any problem with their stadium or their atmosphere. In fact (as I stated), I think (other than JHS / Auburn) Sanford Stadium is the best stadium, and Athens is easily the best college town, in the SEC, maybe the nation. Really all I was saying was that it's a shame their students don't - or, at least, formerly did not - turn out in force. (Note, too, that I was only targeting the students, not UGA fans generally.) In my experience, the student sections at places like LSU, UF, UT and uat (and, of course, Auburn) are packed long before kickoff of rivalry games. That was not my experience at UGA - but, then again, maybe the kids then were less than inspired by the likes of Ray Goff and Jim Donnan . . . ;) If things have changed, good for them; it's about time they got with the program.

221787[/snapback]

it just sounded to me like you didn't like it because they are a rival. i believe you if you say that the students weren't there but I wasn't sure if you knew how the sections were set up because many people don't know. I don't ever remember it like that but if you say so, maybe I'm wrong.

Archived