Beamer Suspends QB

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Beamer Suspends QB Indefinitely

More Virginia Tech QB woes. Seems to be a pattern.

Updated: March 3, 2006, 3:17 PM ET

Hokies suspend quarterback Whitaker indefinitelyESPN.com news services

Virginia Tech quarterback Ike Whitaker was suspended indefinitely Thursday by coach Frank Beamer for a violation of team policy.

The announcement came a day after Whitaker, 6-foot-4 and 206 pounds from Germantown, Md., was charged with purchasing and possessing alcohol, according to the Virginia Court Case Information Web site. The charges are misdemeanors, and Whitaker is scheduled to appear in Montgomery County General District Court in Blacksburg on March 23.

Beamer said the school would not comment further on the situation.

Whitaker is one of four players looking to replace the departed Marcus Vick. The others are Sean Glennon, Cory Holt and Greg Boone.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Guess with everything that has gone on with discipline at Tech lately Beamer is taking a stand and making examples.

223696[/snapback]

I'ld bet dollars to dougnuts that he will be playing by the time fall rolls around. How many strikes did Vick get before he got the ol' boot?

Possession of ALCOHOL?!

223669[/snapback]

Good for Beamer. Sure a lot of college students drink, and drink underage. If I was cault underage drinking by a cop I would expect any organization I was in to take whatever action they deemed necessary even if I didn't like it, and college football teams should be no exception. In fact, athetes are some of the biggest representation that anyone ever sees or hears of a university, and for that matter people donate money so these athletes go to school for free so that they represent their school well athletically. Because of that why should they not be held to an even higher standard?

dougnuts?

Guest Tigrinum Major
I mean, come on...the kid was trying to buy alcohol?

I, personally, don't think this is a big deal at all

224024[/snapback]

In the grand scheme of things, you are correct. But rules are rules and laws are laws for a reason.

If he does nothing, what message is he sending? You can screw up, but only this much.

I am not saying that nothing should be done. But I don't think such an offense deserves a suspension.

Maybe I am being a hypocrite too, I hate it when people drink and drive. I get f-ing PO'ed when people act like it isn't a big deal.

you know if that was an alabama player in the mid 70's, the buhr would have come out to the arrest site and tell the cop to let him go and then he would drink the rest of the alcohol with the player!!

We may not know "the rest of the story". That is, this may not be a first offense, but the last in a series of rules violations. If he was already in the dog house because of earlier offenses, then suspension may have been in order.

I do imagine, however, that all VaTech players are on shorter leashes these days because of the whole Vick affair.

Archived