I found all the Bama fans

GalensGhost

Over the last couple of years, I've noticed a paucity of Alabama apparel in public. Walk through any mall in Birmingham and people wearing Auburn hats, etc. outnumber those wearing Bama gear by a significant margin.

As part of my birthday weekend, my wife took me to the Birmingham Zoo -- the site of our first date. Inside those confines I discovered where all the Bama fans have been hiding.

The zoo was full of people wearing Bama. Almost all were stereotypical and fit the mental image that all of us have of Bama fans.

Here's an example of an actual conversation between a man wearing a "Got 12?" shirt with the sleeves cut out and his cheese-sweating girlfriend/wife who had on a ratty gray Bama football shirt:

He: "Dayum, them lions is BIG in real life."

Her: "It probly aint a good idear to have just a wire fence between them lions and them giraffes back there."

Him: "Lions don't even eat giraffes. That's how come."

Nuggets of wisdom like that abounded.

Also good was the NASCAR/Bama combo family who rushed shreiking into the monkey cages shouting with delight and taking pictures with the cell phone because "Them monkeys are HUMPING!" What's priceless is that it was the mom, not any of the four ratty kids who made the top-of-the-lungs humping pronouncement.

Replacing keyboard b/c of coffee spewed from mouth - $30

Replacing monitor b/c of coffee spewed from mouth - $250

Always getting a good laugh b/c of bammer fans - priceless

Absolutely fantastic...

I found a truck load myself yesterday on I-20 heading over to ATL. They were in a bright red "fancy" pickup with a personalized Bammer tag that read FER UA.

I nearly ran off the road when I read that one...

Over the last couple of years, I've noticed a paucity of Alabama apparel in public. Walk through any mall in Birmingham and people wearing Auburn hats, etc. outnumber those wearing Bama gear by a significant margin.

As part of my birthday weekend, my wife took me to the Birmingham Zoo -- the site of our first date.  Inside those confines I discovered where all the Bama fans have been hiding.

The zoo was full of people wearing Bama. Almost all were stereotypical and fit the mental image that all of us have of Bama fans.

Here's an example of an actual conversation between a man wearing a "Got 12?" shirt with the sleeves cut out and his cheese-sweating girlfriend/wife who had on a ratty gray Bama football shirt:

He: "Dayum, them lions is BIG in real life."

Her: "It probly aint a good idear to have just a wire fence between them lions and them giraffes back there."

Him: "Lions don't even eat giraffes. That's how come."

Nuggets of wisdom like that abounded.

Also good was the NASCAR/Bama combo family who rushed shreiking into the monkey cages shouting with delight and taking pictures with the cell phone because "Them monkeys are HUMPING!" What's priceless is that it was the mom, not any of the four ratty kids who made the top-of-the-lungs humping pronouncement.

232054[/snapback]

Are you positive that it was the monkeys humping with the bama fans running to them or was it the bama fans humping with the monkeys pointing and laughing? Not sure a novice Marlin Perkins such as yourself would know the difference.

:roflol::roflol:

every time i say i'm glad that i never have to be around bammers because of being in school down here i hear something like this and wish that every now and then i could get a glimpse of something like that... hahahaha

I've got a wonderful story for you guys that will make you laugh even harder. I took vacation this weekend to Orange Beach, AL. We were at Flora-bama one night, and these guys walked up to us, and were like "Hey guys, whats up? Where are yall from? etc..." You know the average conversation starter. I explained i was from Birmingham, went to Auburn, etc. This guy was like, "Oh.....I'm from Muscle Shoals, and I go to UAT......", Then directly after that he asked, "So, Yall lived in Cow Pastures over in Auburn?" I laughed in his face(which i dont think he appreciated), I responded with, "You are from Muscle Shoals, and you refer to Auburn as a bunch of Cow pastures, thanks for the laugh, War Eagle". Needless to say, He didnt talk to me for the rest of the night.

I am from Muscle Shoals. I can hardly stand to go back and visit my family because everywhere you go it is just covered up with people wearing that horrible dark pink color. However, growing up in Muscle Shoals I have learned that there are a few questions you can ask to INSTANTLY shut down a Bammer:

*What is the name of the UAT fight song?

*Can you sing it?

*What is your favorite Bammer cheer?

*Who is your favorite Bammer player?

*Did you go there for undergrad or grad school?

*What is your favorite gameday tradition?

The vast majority of Bammers will not get past the first question. If they do, the second one will get them every time. Only a true Bammer fan will get through the entire list.

Keep in mind that nowhere on my list is "Bear Bryant," "probation" or "12 Nashnul Champunsheeps." That will come up in your conversation, though, so don't be sidetracked.

I am from Muscle Shoals.  I can hardly stand to go back and visit my family because everywhere you go it is just covered up with people wearing that horrible dark pink color.  However, growing up in Muscle Shoals I have learned that there are a few questions you can ask to INSTANTLY shut down a Bammer:

*What is the name of the UAT fight song? 

*Can you sing it?

*What is your favorite Bammer cheer?

*Who is your favorite Bammer player?

*Did you go there for undergrad or grad school?

*What is your favorite gameday tradition?

The vast majority of Bammers will not get past the first question.  If they do, the second one will get them every time.  Only a true Bammer fan will get through the entire list.

Keep in mind that nowhere on my list is "Bear Bryant," "probation" or "12 Nashnul Champunsheeps."  That will come up in your conversation, though, so don't be sidetracked.

232105[/snapback]

My 4 year old has known the AU fight song since he could first talk at like 16 months old. It was the first song he learned to sing!!! WAR EAGLE!!!

I am from the Shoals also. I would say the combined Shoals Area does make Auburn seem a little rural. The combined population of the Shoals Area is around 140,000 with its own DII school in Florence(Univ of North Alabama). I am unsure of the Auburn/Opelika pop. or even if they would be considered separate.

Not making excuses for an ignorant bammer, just stating the facts.

I am from the Shoals also. I would say the combined Shoals Area does make Auburn seem a little rural.  The combined population of the Shoals Area is around 140,000 with its own DII school in Florence(Univ of North Alabama). I am unsure of the Auburn/Opelika pop. or even if they would be considered separate.

232108[/snapback]

It's not the quantity...it's the quality. I lived in Huntsville for years...and it's a little Red Necky in the Shoals.... :)

:au::homer:

My 4 year old has known the AU fight song since he could first talk at like 16 months old.  It was the first song he learned to sing!!!  WAR EAGLE!!!

232107[/snapback]

glad you are raising your son the right way. WDE!

Just one question. How could the uat "guy" decide which was his "girlfriend" and which was the monkey?

Just one question. How could the uat "guy" decide which was his "girlfriend" and which was the monkey?

232132[/snapback]

That's easy. He just had to find the one throwing poop at him. Then he knew which one was...oh well, nevermind.

Ive relatives up in the Huntsville area. My favorite is in the surrounding areas you have alot of farmers and there are many that are huge Alabama fans. I like to ask them who does the research that benefits them most when they attempt to hassle me.

My extreme favorites are the ones that are farmers that despite Bama fans referring to Auburn as a cow college don't realize that means agriculture. How they don't know I will never understand.

I am from the Shoals also. I would say the combined Shoals Area does make Auburn seem a little rural.  The combined population of the Shoals Area is around 140,000 with its own DII school in Florence(Univ of North Alabama). I am unsure of the Auburn/Opelika pop. or even if they would be considered separate.

232108[/snapback]

I went to UNA and am in grad school at Auburn now. While it is true that there are more beautiful, rolling hills in the Auburn area, than in the ghetto of Sheffield, the Twilight Zone of Tuscumbia, the country club of Muscle Shoals, or the sprawling metropolis of Florence...all I'm saying is there is just no excuse for so many bammers to be in one area. They should just change the name of the Muscle Shoals Wal-Mart to "All Things Bammer & Milk."

Ive relatives up in the Huntsville area.  My favorite is in the surrounding areas you have alot of farmers and there are many that are huge Alabama fans.  I like to ask them who does the research that benefits them most when they attempt to hassle me.

My extreme favorites are the ones that are farmers that despite Bama fans referring to Auburn as a cow college don't realize that means agriculture. How they don't know I will never understand.

232134[/snapback]

It's very simple, my friend...they're BAMARS. :lol:

232108[/snapback]

It's not the quantity...it's the quality. I lived in Huntsville for years...and it's a little Red Necky in the Shoals.... :)

232130[/snapback]

Saying you are from Huntsville, is the equivalent to saying,"I'm from Oregon".

Huntsvegas as I like to refer to Huntsville, is nothing more then an urban area for transplated Yankees and Indians.

The local Huntsville "Rag" Times is as Bama bias as it gets, (i.e. the AU Women's Golf NC getting third page coverage with a UAT's gym team practice getting front page coverage). They don't even bother to cover local HS football, probably because it is none existent in the HSV metro area. That is why they came up with the Huntsville Times Super 100, they had to find some HS football to cover if they had none in town.

The local regional TV stations serve to the Bamernecks out in the cotton towns along the TN, GA, & MS statelines (i.e. Muscle Shoals, Athens, Albertville, Cullman). I loved WHNT's honor Logan Young as some kind of UAT hero. Harold Bugg is a freakin idiot.

Ok..my rant is over.

232108[/snapback]

232130[/snapback]

Huntsvegas as I like to refer to Huntsville, is nothing more then an urban area for transplated Yankees and Indians.

The local Huntsville "Rag" Times is as Bama bias as it gets, (i.e. the AU Women's Golf NC getting third page coverage with a UAT's gym team practice getting front page coverage). They don't even bother to cover local HS football, probably because it is none existent in the HSV metro area. That is why they came up with the Huntsville Times Super 100, they had to find some HS football to cover if they had none in town.

The local regional TV stations serve to the Bamernecks out in the cotton towns along the TN, GA, & MS statelines (i.e. Muscle Shoals, Athens, Albertville, Cullman). I loved WHNT's honor Logan Young as some kind of UAT hero. Harold Bugg is a freakin idiot.

Ok..my rant is over.

232164[/snapback]

I guess the Time's high school football preview section that covers all of North Alabama is not enough for you, or the daily articles during the season is not worthwhile. The Times is more pro-Auburn than anti-Auburn like the B'ham rags. They at least had the Swimming and Diving NC's on the front page. Now the local tv stations are pro Bama, and they don't even try to hide it. It seems like all the female anchors are Bammers and they don't let you forget about it.

I live in Athens which is 10 minutes west of Huntsville and I know what you're saying. I get the Athens and the Huntsville Paper and I think that the Athens is more bias then Huntsvilles. But I love to read both anyway.

I grew up in huntsville and always found they were almost the LEAST biased out of the major state papers....

232108[/snapback]

232130[/snapback]

Ok..my rant is over.

232164[/snapback]

I guess the Time's high school football preview section that covers all of North Alabama is not enough for you, or the daily articles during the season is not worthwhile. The Times is more pro-Auburn than anti-Auburn like the B'ham rags. They at least had the Swimming and Diving NC's on the front page. Now the local tv stations are pro Bama, and they don't even try to hide it. It seems like all the female anchors are Bammers and they don't let you forget about it.

232167[/snapback]

"football preview of all of North Alabama"?. Never saw one mention about of HS football west of Decatur. I had to really search for an article about HS ball. They are more worried about freaking soccer and UAH hockey in Huntsville then they are about HS football. The evidence, Buckhorn's playoff run. What was is? Like the first metro team from HSV making it to the second round in 15 years or team from Madison County making it to the second round in several years? I forget the actual number of years.

232108[/snapback]

232130[/snapback]

Ok..my rant is over.

232164[/snapback]

232167[/snapback]

"football preview of all of North Alabama"?. Never saw one mention about of HS football west of Decatur. I had to really search for an article about HS ball. They are more worried about freaking soccer and UAH hockey in Huntsville then they are about HS football. The evidence, Buckhorn's playoff run. What was is? Like the first metro team from HSV making it to the second round in 15 years or team from Madison County making it to the second round in several years? I forget the actual number of years.

232205[/snapback]

Ok, so you hate Huntsville, we get the idea.

232108[/snapback]

232130[/snapback]

Ok..my rant is over.

232164[/snapback]

Well...I agree with just about everything you said...so what's your point? I am not FROM Huntsville, but I did go to Lee High and to UAH, and I am FROM the great state of Alabama. The Times is like the AJC here in ATL. But if I could choose between the two, I'd MUCH rather be in Huntsville. Talk about YANKEES...they're EVERYWHERE over here in GA!!! B)

Archived