Finebaum: CTT to TAM?

quietfan

Let the next round of Finebaum cursing begin:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...5800.xml&coll=3

However, if the Aggies continue to lose and actually fire Fran (who makes over $2 million a year) after this season, the rejoicing among Bama fans might turn to absolute delirium, and for a completely different reason.

More than likely, the Tide's arch nemesis, Tommy Tuberville of Auburn, could be the No. 1 choice of A&M to replace Franchione should it make a move. Tuberville worked in College Station as a defensive coordinator under R.C. Slocum and remains extremely close to the man who was fired to make way for Fran, a move many hard-line Aggie fans still regret.

Tuberville's personality would also be a great fit for the back-slapping, 10-gallon cowboy hat crowd. While Franchione is an introvert, Tuberville could charm a rattlesnake.

Besides, his two-year record of 22-3 and an expected huge 2006 season on the Plains, would make him a very powerful and attractive candidate.

But would he consider leaving Auburn, and how expensive would it be for the Aggies to hire him?

Would any of you leave a job where your bosses deceitfully went behind your back and were going to fire you? Even with a big contract and understanding the dysfunctional power system at Auburn, would you roll the dice on a new start -- with probably a $3 million a year salary -- or stay the course with the status quo?

And on the subject of cost, would it really matter to the deep-pocketed Texans?

My sense is Tuberville would bail on Auburn. Sure, he has a great job and has built one of the top programs in the country. He has the highest-paid staff in America and his contract is way north of $2 million a year.

Still, he lives in a state dominated by Alabama football (?? :angry: Would that be the Bama that's 1-5 in the last six Iron Bowls, including 0-4 in a row?) and that will likely never change. He would find a similar problem in College Station with the Longhorns as the top college team in the state. However, with so many other things going in Texas, the differences aren't nearly so great.

Tuberville has a two-way buyout in that the school would have to pay him nearly $7 million (this will drop by a million next year and ensuing years) if he were to be fired, and it works the other way around if he leaves.

Who is to say Auburn officials wouldn't find a way to compromise? Frankly, there are indicators that Tuberville isn't particularly close to very many trustees or school officials in the wake of the Jetgate controversy.

The public sentiment was heavily weighed against Auburn in the aftermath of the Bobby Petrino debacle, and the feelings would be similar in this case if a protracted legal battle ensued over money.

In case you're wondering, Texas A&M has a chance for a good record with a disgraceful non-conference schedule including The Citadel, Louisiana-Lafayette, Army and Louisiana Tech as the non-conference games.  :lol: Only Alabama among college football superpowers has a non-conference schedule to rival the Aggies (the Tide plays Hawaii, Louisiana-Monroe, Duke and Florida International). However, from the perspective of the A&M faithful, it will merely increase the pressure to score some big wins against the likes of Oklahoma and Texas -- two preseason candidates for the national championship.

Regardless, fans from the state of Alabama will have their eyes on Texas this fall to see how the Franchione dilemma plays out. The Tuberville factor might give Alabama fans even more reason to root for Fran's demise.

Well, at least he got one thing right: the day CTT leaves will be the best thing that's happened to UAT in a long, long time.

Just speculating, however...IF, by some miracle Finebaum actually got something right for a change, and it came down to a bidding war, could/would/should AU match any offer from A&M?

First of all, this is nothing but Finescum's attempt to get Auburn fans to call his show. Nearly all of his columns contain something to get people's hair up and get them to call. That being said, I think Auburn should rest on it's laurels, there is no reason to get into a bidding war, IFhe did decide to leave, use the 7 mil to get Borges into a head coaching role. Personally, I don't see him leaving Auburn for one big non-football reason: the school system. I have heard it said many times that he is extremely happy with the education his kids are getting in the Auburn public school system (which is the tops in the state).

Just more propaganda from the states media whore.... He has to continue to stir the pot so people will call in, otherwise he's done. If people would just quit calling in, and listening, his show would go away.

Why would Tuberville leave everything he has built up over the last few years to go to that cesspool and start over? The people who tried to out him a few years back are gone (except Lowder), and, as one of my Arkansas friends put it, "That guy's building a dynasty down there."

Finebaum is stirring the pot during a slow offseason. Nothing more.

Let me tell you the same thing i told my brother when he e-mailed me this article...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

:au::homer:

He is just trying to shift attention from the problems at UAT.

CTT is building a dynasty, but the PTBs better not get complacent and think we have him locked forever. As long as the man keeps winning like he is, they better keep giving him what he needs. CTT is a good man, but he is also a very smart man and if he sees any hint of the bs that happened three years ago, he might bolt and I would not blame him. In turn, CTT must never become complacent either.

Yea, it's just a hypothetical that PF is throwing out there to get some off-season debate going. No big deal. That being said, when it comes to the coaching carousel or professional players moving around, I never say never. Every single year, we're all stunned by some of the deals and moves we see in both the college and professional ranks. :blink:

I thought the consensus in Texas was that Mack Brown couldn't win the big one. He's just not the right man to coach all this talent. So...he gets a 10 year 580 Bazillion dollar extension. And, oh by the way, lures our DC away in the process. Johnny Damon....a Yankee??? $22 Katrillion for a 43 year old pitcher for 2/3 of the season??? T.O. a Dallas Cowboy??? Didn't he diss the star at midfiled? Al Borges as OC at Auburn??? :big:

Personally, I'd like to see CTT here for a long, long time and I love the program he's built and continues to build. But, numerous programs around the country would pay dearly to have the kind of stability and success he's brought to Auburn. There's no telling how many offers have been made behind the scenes to lure him away. It wouldn't blow me away if one day he decided to test the waters elsewhere. Hope it doesn't happen anytime soon, though.

WAR TOMMY!!

Man, Paul's ratings must really be slipping bad. That was total hooie.

PF is just getting desperate for a topic on the show. First Fran has a buyout. CTT has a buyout. CTT could move to TAM and have to work his butt off to just get to a bowl game. Or he could stay here at :au: keep winning games, become a legend, he is already well on his way to becoming the best coach we have ever had. He has gone undefeated and beaten :ua: 4-0 This could be the best place for him for years.

I will also clue you in on something. CTT has a very well organized, very close bunch of friends. CTT probably has the best organized support group in college football. If you think he is down at Auburn hanging around by himself, you would be just SSSOOO wrong. CTT will be with us another 5-7 years. At that point his kids will be basically grown. He will independently wealthy. He will be a college legend if current trends continue. He will also be THE NFL Pipeline until then.

Williams, Brown, Campbell, McNeill, etc, etc, etc.

Here we go again...the annual "CTT to aTm" fishing lure. You guys have it nailed!

The Auburn callers have been more prevalent on the Slimebaum show in the last couple of weeks. He needs more for the Bammers to call in about besides Shane's incessant babbling about Shula's tough...no, lax discipline policy.

However, if CTT did decide to bolt, that would just open up a HC position for Al Borges IMO. I don't think Auburn would be worse off in that position as long as they keep a good DC to complement the WC offense.

finebaum17yg.jpg

240239[/snapback]

:roflol::thumbsup:

This is uat wishful thinking at it's best. Can't blame 'em for dreaming. The THUMB is on the way! :au::cheer:

Would any of you leave a job where your bosses deceitfully went behind your back and were going to fire you? Even with a big contract and understanding the dysfunctional power system at Auburn, would you roll the dice on a new start -- with probably a $3 million a year salary -- or stay the course with the status quo?

Fact is, all of those bosses are gone now. That entire fiasco was started by Dr. William Walker and we see what happened.

All of this is designed to stir up the Auburn nation and nothing more.

We will continue to see this from Finescum until he retires. It's what drives the man.

CTT will be the "New Century" Legend of Auburn Football before he either retires, or goes on to the NFL.

Anytime this discussion comes up and the "Infamous plane trip to Louisville" is referenced...which by the way, is everytime a sportswriter, sportscaster mentions CTT's name, it reminds me how fickle we are as fans and how it doesn't take much to get swept up in emotion, rumors etc.

We are led to believe now, that a couple of years ago, the entire Auburn family was screaming from the hilltops for Tubby's immediate dismissal. Finebum is quick to point out how Auburn people were flooding his show with calls about firing CTT. (Translation: 2 of the 3 regular Auburn callers to his show)

Let me say first and foremost, there definitely was a certain segment of the fan base that wanted him gone, several right here on this site. There were many with questions about the direction of the program and the choices he was making, especially after the 03' season. But, I don't think I am off base when I say that the MAJORITY of Auburn faithful, may have had questions, but were more intersted in him making the proper personnel changes around him than running him out on a rail.

Look around the country. Is there a program ANYWHERE in D-1 who's coach does not have his detractors if the program is not playing for a national championship? There were many in the Texas fanbase that wanted Mack Brown out. Joe Paterno was as good as gone. Fulmer has won a MNC and probably more games than just about anyone UT history and he's "On the hotseat". CTT had his own detractors after 03'. It comes with the territory.

My point to this long rant is two-fold. First, the Auburn nation as a whole was NOT screaming for Tubby's head as others would have us believe. Second, the very people behind the plane trip to Louisville are either looking for employment elsewhere or are the SAME GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS THE AUBURN NATION HAS BEEN SCREAMING TO GET OUT OF AUBURN FOR YEARS. The same writers who print lengthy articles about the evil empire that is our BOTs, takes a boneheaded move they made in 03' and writes. "See, you Aubies wanted him gone and now you think he's the greatest thing since indoor plumbing."

Rant off.

Whats funny is this "rumor" has been floating around for a while now and I thought it had run its course and since been extinguished. Poor chrome dome, having to scrape the barrell twice.

240265[/snapback]

That's hilarious. I honestly hadn't heard that one before, but it just proves once again that Finescum is a ratings whore. He cannot afford to lose either side of the State's fans or he will lose that 3 year old national ranking of "Top 12 Shows".

No way - just a nice little daydream to dangle over the delusional shaneheads of the world who know the thumb is coming, and he's bringing a whole 'nother hand to follow.

Typically, contracts roll over or get extended later in the fall / early winter to give the appearance of stability for recruiting benefit - but I would not be surprised to see Tubs get re-upped before the season. This past offseason was more about taking care of the assistants, but if this season lives up to its potential, Tubs in July will be more affordable than Tubs in January.

Finebaum's show is so damn bad It makes me sick that i have to listen to it because the other show in Bham is worse than Finebaum, I think I will start playing my Taylor Hick's single instead of listening to all the crap on sports radio, why would tubbs want to start over at a school that has no talent and gets out recruited every year by texas and oklahoma? this is just bs

Archived