Auburn's Cox Now Speaking Up More

Ravad

Auburn's Cox Now Speaking Up More

Jul 16, 12:46 PM (ET)  Email this Story

By JOHN ZENOR

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - Courtney Taylor can pinpoint the game - maybe even the specific play - when Brandon Cox ceased being just a rookie starting quarterback and became Auburn's unquestioned offensive leader.

It was a 31-30 victory at Georgia when Cox connected over the middle with Devin Aromashodu for a 63-yard gain on fourth-and-11. John Vaughn followed with a chip-shot field goal to win it.

"Georgia played us neck and neck that game, and both teams played their best games," said Taylor, Auburn's top returning receiver. "Brandon was a huge part of that, making good reads, audibling at the line of scrimmage to get us out of bad plays, and the fourth-and-whatever throw to Devin Aromashodu."

Cox seldom seemed uncomfortable or tentative on the field last season - at least after a shaky opening performance against Georgia Tech - despite coming in with little experience. Successfully stepping into the role of vocal leader was a more gradual process.

"Most kids are a little reserved about taking the bull by the horns with regard to leadership if they haven't had success," Auburn offensive coordinator Al Borges said. "Now that he's had some success, he has gained the respect that it requires to be a good leader."

Cox helped guide the Tigers to a 9-3 record in his first season replacing Jason Campbell. His 2,324 passing yards was the fourth-best single-season total in school history and he was the Southeastern Conference's No. 2-rated passer.

Now, he's not just passing in summer drills. He's also talking, leading and coaxing more than this time last year, coaches and teammates say.

"Brandon's a low-profile type guy," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He's not a real cocky type guy. But we want our quarterbacks to be a little bit more verbal than he was last year.

"But I understand, last year he was learning. He was around a lot more experienced players. But now people look up to him as a guy that can get it done, because he got it done last year most of the time. I'm looking for Brandon to grow as much away from the snap as I am during the play."

The pristine performance against No. 9 Georgia, Taylor says, helped give Cox's teammates the faith that if they kept the game close he could pull it out in the end.

Cox completed 16 of 28 passes for 279 yards against the Bulldogs in perhaps his best game of the season.

But he wasn't happy with how he finished the season, passing for just 137 yards in a Capital One Bowl loss to Wisconsin.

"I improved a lot throughout the season," Cox said. "The only game I didn't improve from the last game, was the Wisconsin game.

"I just want to continue that steady climb."

The 22-year-old junior only seemed like an overnight star. Cox sat out the 2002 season with health problems and was redshirted the following year before finally replacing Campbell, a first-round NFL draft pick by the Washington Redskins.

"It's been a long road," Cox said. "There's been a lot of ups and downs. It has been fun learning from the older guys, learning from Jason and becoming what I am now, and hopefully improving a lot more."

Now, he's one of a handful of proven starting quarterbacks in the SEC - including LSU's JaMarcus Russell and Florida's Chris Leak. Instead of being the new guy, he's got a different issue: overcoming the departure of his two biggest protectors, tackles Marcus McNeill and Troy Reddick, and three leading receivers.

It's a vastly different position from a year ago, when Cox was one of the team's big question marks following a 13-0 season.

"I don't think there's as much pressure this year as there was last year," he said.

Borges, however, calls last season "step one."

"He's proven already that you can win with him," Borges said. "The way that he'll be remembered is by winning championships. That has to be his next step, to me."

Good read. Thanks for posting. WDE ! ! !

Archived